• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

When I Get to Santiago, how do I submit my credencial and get a compostela?

TexasIndia

Still Walking
Time of past OR future Camino
Oct 2022
Oct 2023
I've searched all over the forum, but can't find an answer. This question is so basic I'm sure it must have been answered.

In Santiago where and how do I turn in my credenciales? What time should I plan to arrive? What time is the pilgrim's mass? Is it every day?

We have 7 more stages on the Camino Primitivo until we are in Santiago!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
If you click on the tag "credencial/sellos/compostela" under the title of this thread, you will find a lot of threads on this topic. Maybe too many!

Here is a thread discussing how to pre-register for the Compostela. Then, in Santiago, you need to go to the Pilgrim Office run by the Cathedral. The address is Rua das Carretas, 33, just a couple of blocks from the Cathedral. (You can search on Google maps for "Pilgrim's Reception office.") According to the Pilgrim Office website, they are open from 9 a.m. to 7 p.m. every day except Dec 25 and Jan 1, but they may close the doors an hour or so early if there is a big crowd. However, the process for submitting your credential and getting your compostela seems to be quite efficient now.

The Cathedral website gives the hours for the masses.

I recommend that you check the official websites to confirm these hours for yourself, in case there is a change in winter.

Thanks for this question. It will be tagged as a FAQ!

Facing the Cathedral, on your left side is the Paradores Hotel. In front of that is a road descending to your left again. Go down there and at the end of the Paradores (now on your right) turn right. Walk roughtly 150 meter, maybe 200, and on your left you will find the pilgrim office. Use your phone to scan the QR code on the pillars at the door and complete the online form. Once that is done you'll receive a QR code of your own and be allowed into the building to collect your compostela. The whole process takes 10 to 20 minutes.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Facing the Cathedral, on your left side is the Paradores Hotel. In front of that is a road descending to your left again. Go down there and at the end of the Paradores (now on your right) turn right. Walk roughtly 150 meter, maybe 200, and on your left you will find the pilgrim office. Use your phone to scan the QR code on the pillars at the door and complete the online form. Once that is done you'll receive a QR code of your own and be allowed into the building to collect your compostela. The whole process takes 10 to 20 minutes.
Thanks. I registered online from a QR code. Hopefully I'll be able to retrieve when I get there. I did receive a text saying I had registered.

Thanks. I registered online from a QR code. Hopefully I'll be able to retrieve when I get there. I did receive a text saying I had registered.
You should have received an email with a code that you show when you get to the Pilgrim's Office. If you have trouble retrieving they will direct you to a kiosk to re-enter the information.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Thanks for the detailed information on how to get to the Pilgrim office and where’s it’s at— so very helpful🫶🏼🫶🏼

I've searched all over the forum, but can't find an answer. This question is so basic I'm sure it must have been answered.

In Santiago where and how do I turn in my credenciales? What time should I plan to arrive? What time is the pilgrim's mass? Is it every day?

I did it two days ago. You can do it by scanning the barcode, outside the office, or if like me your phone doesn’t work use the check in screen just inside, the guy in the door will show it to you. Took me less than half an hour even with the wait in the queue. Good luck. Santiago busy.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

You can get it at the Pilgrims office 9-19 which is not attached to the cathedral. You arrive at the cathedral main square with the museum entrances. Now turn around and have the cathedral behind. Look to the right with the flights of stairs. Go down, turn right and you'll find the pilgrims office on your left. It's computerized. You enter the details on screen by yourself. Then you'll be given a numbered ticket. Go to the next room and wait for your number displayed with the counter number. When you get to the counter, you'll be given a copy of A4 size Latin credential for free. You'll have an option to purchase another one in old Spanish with the kilometres of your route included for 3 Euros. This one is slightly larger than A4. You could also buy a tube to keep your sheets - I think it was 3 Euros or you could bring your own tube from cling film. It took only 10 minutes for me when I arrived at about 3pm last week.
The pilgrim mass takes place 4 times a day. 7:30; 9:30, 12:00 and 19:30.

NOTE: The process on arrival is even faster if you use the internet to submit all your information before you arrive at Santiago. I always tell people to do it once you know with certainty when you will arrive at the Pilgrim Office.

Also, and based on many comments I received, DO use the toilet BEFORE you present yourself at the front door of the Pilgrim Office. Once they assign you a queue waiting number, and if you submitted your data online beforehand - like a couple of days prior - you will be called for your Compostela, etc. before you would have time to use the toilets down the hall.

This was the case, even during the peak arrival period over the summer months. The new automated production system is THAT efficient.

There are public Aseos back up the street on the -1 level behind the Concello building, adjacent to the local police station.

Hope this helps,

Tom

Last edited:
What if I want the compostela in memory (pro vicarie?) of someone? Can that still be added to my compostela even with pre-registration?

Thank you, wonderful moderators and volunteers (and Ivar), for sharing your knowledge. 🙏🏽

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Mendozap:

I did this September 28th. There is no place on the online registration to indicate that you want it In Vicarie Pro.
So, write down in clear lettering on a piece of paper

In Vicarie Pro Firstname Lastname

and hand that to the volunteer. He or she will make sure they recognize all the letters (Mine checked me to see that I really meant a capital D in one place), write it down on your preprinted Compostela, and away you go. No additional charge for the Compostela.

One other suggestion, I would have. Calculate your distance ahead of time, if you haven’t gone one a main route. I went on the Norte/Primitivo from Irún through Oviedo over last year and this year. The volunteer didn’t know the kms. My husband went from LLanes on the Norte through Irún with me this year, so we had different distances. They didn’t have a place to look them up, so both just guessed at the distance. I added it up later and both guesses were under the actual.

I did exactly what dbier did this year (except that I didn't include the "In", just "Vicarie Pro Firstname Lastname"). I used to go with the "in vicarie pro" until some Latin pedants corrected me. I had no problem getting it added by the volunteer, who took pains to add it with his fanciest handwriting,

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
TexasIndia, good point...but that's for the distance certificate.

Unless you specifically ask for it, neither your route nor your distance is recorded on the Compostela.

I met a woman who did have the volunteer calculate and write the distance on her Compostela....for 3 euros. She hadn't realized until I told her that the Compostela was usually free. ;/

What if I want the compostela in memory (pro vicarie?) of someone? Can that still be added to my compostela even with pre-registration?

Thank you, wonderful moderators and volunteers (and Ivar), for sharing your knowledge. 🙏🏽
You may find that the volunteer on the desk is not familiar with ‘vicarie pro’ (in replacement for ..) - although I suspect this forum has raised awareness somewhat. In which case simply ask for the supervisor.

There is no ability to make the request online in advance.

It was originally intended to allow only for those who would have completed a pilgrimage to Santiago but were prevented from doing so by Illness or infirmity. It was not intended to provide a personal (although heartfelt) gift, nor to be used for pet animals (no matter how lovely and labrador’ish they are. Guilty as charged (St Francis would approve).)

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
What Henry said. There is no way to indicate in pre-registration that you want your Compostela In Vicarie Pro.

Write down the words In Vicarie Pro and the name of the person you're walking for on a piece of paper. Hand it to the volunteer at the desk when your number is called and smile. Explain any letters if your handwriting is poor. They'll write the phrase (with the word para added, in my case) at the bottom, above the signature. Hey presto, you have a Compostela with your loved one's name on it.

Most read last week in this forum

I'm sure this info has already been shared, but here's an update: the Tuna are still working their magic under the arches in the Praza Obradoiro (facing the catehdral) in the evenings. I was there...
I just completed the Camino Fracis. I got to the pilgrim office in time to get my compesela, and had a very positive experience there. I dedicated my camino to a close cousin who recently passed...
Mods: please move this thread to wherever it belongs and/or give me links to threads about this. Thanks! I will be in Santiago on Apr. 28-30. Usually I have stayed at zthe Last Stamp, but they...
I plan on arriving in SDC on July 23, and stay a day or two. How feasible is it that I will be able to get a seat for the 10:00 Mass on the Feast Day, the 25th? Am I better off attending a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back