• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Lightweight Blankets for Walking the Camino

Nanners

Time of past OR future Camino
Sept. '23
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm thinking it's probably a good idea to bring one on the Frances or the Ingles, which is what I plan to walk next. I have a silk/cotton blend liner. I ordered a Rumpl nano puff blanket from REI during their recent sale but it seems heavy, weighing in at 1.8 pounds / .8 kilo. I'm looking for specific recommendations for a lightweight down or synthetic down blanket. Thanks!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Montbell down blankets are very nice.
The medium size is just big enough to tuck into your sleep sack. It weighs 7.4 oz/209 gm:

If you would prefer something larger, the large size weighs 17.7 oz/417 gm:

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm thinking it's probably a good idea to bring one on the Frances or the Ingles, which is what I plan to walk next. I have a silk/cotton blend liner. I ordered a Rumpl nano puff blanket from REI during their recent sale but it seems heavy, weighing in at 1.8 pounds / .8 kilo. I'm looking for specific recommendations for a lightweight down or synthetic down blanket. Thanks!
This year i will try this travel blanket https://www.cocoon.at/en/products/travel-blanket-ef803637a79b652f25bb658159af8eb3-1 also there is merino version .

There is also the Thermarest Juno Blanket. It is lightweight and can withstand being hot washed in a Spanish lavanderia for bed bugs 😩 I was pleasantly surprised at how my gear took to all of the unpleasant hot washing last year!

I wonder whether one of the heat wraps that get distributed to runners at the end of a race would work well? Has anyone tried tucking one into a liner? Super lightweight, but their ability to keep in the heat is crazy. I suppose it could be a little noisy if you roll around.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
It is lightweight and can withstand being hot washed in a Spanish lavanderia for bed bugs
I just want to point out that a hot wash is not necessary for killing bed bugs. It's the time spent in a hot dryer that kills them. It's safer for delicate fabrics if you put dry items into the hot dryer for about half an hour. After that treatment if you still want to wash the item you can do so according to its care instructions.

I wonder whether one of the heat wraps that get distributed to runners at the end of a race would work well? Has anyone tried tucking one into a liner? Super lightweight, but their ability to keep in the heat is crazy. I suppose it could be a little noisy if you roll around.

You mean those Mylar emergency blankets? Way too noisy to use in albergues!

Myself and my husband bought a cheap blanket (for me) and a sleeping bag (for him) in a cheap shop along the way after a particularly cold night on the Frances in October 2016. So I wouldn't worry just bring a liner to start with, and pick up what you need when you need it, supporting local businesses along the way.

No…and yes. Those mylar blankets are way too noisy (as noted elsewhere) and while they hold heat well, they also collect moisture so you wake up in the middle of the night dripping wet from your own condensation. However:

Makes an interesting bivy…however it also is noisy as heck and rather hard to fold. There is a hack however. I put it into my front load washing machine on gentle, cold water with NO soap. Then hung to dry. It becomes quite soft and much, much less noisy, no more than any other nylon bag slithering around.

The additional hack, is you should carefully cut off the zipper and cut off the drawstring on the hood, they’re not needed, heavy, an annoyance and easier to stuff in its sack after. Additionally, use it upside down. The pictures always who the hood on the ground (leaving your head exposed), with the ‘hood’ part on top, as it covers your head and can be pulled up around your shoulders better.

That said, I don’t think it necessary. Unless you were travelling in October or later. Some of the albergues don’t heat from what I can tell…especially at the rural/small town places. Then paired with a light liner or an ultralight down blanket you’d be cozy.

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Makes an interesting bivy…however it also is noisy as heck and rather hard to fold. There is a hack however. I put it into my front load washing machine on gentle, cold water with NO soap. Then hung to dry. It becomes quite soft and much, much less noisy, no more than any other nylon bag slithering around.
I have the green version and used it outdoors for a couple of nights on Gran Canaria in November. Not quite warm enough but close! Have you tried the bag in damp weather after the washing machine treatment? Any idea what effect it had on permeability?

I have the green version and used it outdoors for a couple of nights on Gran Canaria in November. Not quite warm enough but close! Have you tried the bag in damp weather after the washing machine treatment? Any idea what effect it had on permeability?
No, I’ve not. TBH I got the hack ideas from an ultralight thoughhiker on YouTube and I haven’t tried it “in the wild” yet. I found that some of the albergues on the CF in mid October were cold as heck…and I had a lousy sleep, and felt brutal the next day.
I’ve ditched the Decathlon sleeping bag from last trip, and plan to use a light (130g) liner, an very light down quilt from Aliexpress…and maybe the bivy for use in October, without the zipper it comes in around 215g…worthwhile if I don’t feel so ugly in the morning.

For the quilt, check Aliexpress ‘ Ice Flame down quilt’ summer weight.

I am a fan of modularity. Please keep me posted on your experience with your bivy!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I have a silk liner and a Sea to Summit Traveller down sleeping bag that can be opened into a blanket. A bit heavier that some mentioned about - 420 gr. But I love it.
I used the Traveller without any liner last year for Apr/May Cf and CI, and again in Oct for del Norte. Best money I have spent for Camino gear in a long time!!

Think you must be taking about what they used to call a Space Blanket (arose from space age technology) or also 'emergency' blanket....ultra thin, relfective noisy plasticy wrap....?

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Think you must be taking about what they used to call a Space Blanket (arose from space age technology) or also 'emergency' blanket....ultra thin, relfective noisy plasticy wrap....?
Exactly. But as noted, it's noisy. Also, someone made the very good point that it traps all the moisture. So, it's a no-go!

I just received this from MEC in Canada. I haven't actually used it yet but as a replacement for both a liner and summer blainket at 1.27 lbs, it is light and looks to be warmish and comfortable.

Can someone help me decide if I should bring a liner or nothing at all?

I feel like I could survive without it; just with the sheets offered by the albergues. But let me know if I'm wrong and also if I can find it over there in Spain at some point; in my country mexico it's hard to find a liner and here in canada I just found a 130 cad silk liner; I'm already investing in wool socks and new shoes , so the liner I'm not sure if it's worth it :-/

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I feel like I could survive without it; just with the sheets offered by the albergues.
Many albergues only offer a disposable bottom sheet and pillowcase made of a very thin nonwoven fabric. I'm sure that some people sleep right on top of that, but it's never appealed to me.

You can buy a liner at Decathlon for a very low price.

Most read last week in this forum

I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
So I have heard common wisdom is to bring a silk liner for your Camino (+/- a sleeping bag depending on your preference and season). Specifically regarding silk liners, all of the ones I've...
Hi! I am 15 days out from my Camino, and suddenly my Buen Camino app is crashing every time I try to look at my stages! I have rebooted my phone, done the "restore app" within the app, rebooted...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.