• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Lightweight backpack for petite female

misspenn2519

Time of past OR future Camino
May/June 2024
Hi there! I'm Jennifer and I'll be hiking the Route Frances May/June 2024, starting on my 45th birthday, just coming out of breast cancer treatment. I have googled and researched all of the lists recommending packs and don't seem to get any consistent answers. I know everyone says to go to REI to try them, but I've tried this twice and the first time the sales guy just wanted to tell me his experience hiking the Route Portuguese with his wife which wasn't helpful to me as I'm hiking the Route Frances (and he just rambled and annoyed me). I tried another time and the staff just kept throwing so many packs at me I figured I'd be better served by going in at least with a shortlist of the packs I wanted to try. I was looking at Osprey, Gregory, and Deuter. My measurements were XS (maybe could fit the smallest end of a small) and torso 15.5. Based on these measurements, they kept trying to put me in a 20L pack and I think I want closer to 30. I'm 120lbs so figure no more than 12lb pack total; 5'1". Features that matter to me are mutli-ways of accessing insides (ie top roll but also side, back, and or front pocket access to inner contents. I love various front and hip pockets as well - maybe I'm aiming too high for a small pack like this. I'd like lightweight, a back that is breathable. Any recommendations much appreciated! I don't mind buying bladder and rain cover separately.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Welcome to the forum!

Maybe you are asking too much. You might first need to try on packs to find the available one(s) that fit most comfortably, and then make the compromises necessary on the pockets and access points. On a smallish pack, there is not a lot of room for many access points and pockets. Besides, those features with flaps, pockets, and zippers add weight, so there is good reason the designers have chosen simplicity.

I am 5'3", and use an Osprey Talon 33 in the smaller size, so it is a 31L capacity. The Tempest line is similar and probably has a smaller size.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
My wife is about your size and uses an Osprey Sirrus 24L.
Mine is very similar, the Stratos 34L.
We like the fit and tramopline 'airspeed' back.
She's very happy with it.

Hi there! I'm Jennifer and I'll be hiking the Route Frances May/June 2024, starting on my 45th birthday, just coming out of breast cancer treatment. I have googled and researched all of the lists recommending packs and don't seem to get any consistent answers. I know everyone says to go to REI to try them, but I've tried this twice and the first time the sales guy just wanted to tell me his experience hiking the Route Portuguese with his wife which wasn't helpful to me as I'm hiking the Route Frances (and he just rambled and annoyed me). I tried another time and the staff just kept throwing so many packs at me I figured I'd be better served by going in at least with a shortlist of the packs I wanted to try. I was looking at Osprey, Gregory, and Deuter. My measurements were XS (maybe could fit the smallest end of a small) and torso 15.5. Based on these measurements, they kept trying to put me in a 20L pack and I think I want closer to 30. I'm 120lbs so figure no more than 12lb pack total; 5'1". Features that matter to me are mutli-ways of accessing insides (ie top roll but also side, back, and or front pocket access to inner contents. I love various front and hip pockets as well - maybe I'm aiming too high for a small pack like this. I'd like lightweight, a back that is breathable. Any recommendations much appreciated! I don't mind buying bladder and rain cover separately.

You might be asking too much. Not sure you'll find all those features.
The Sirrus 24L that my wife uses, like mine, is front opening.
With a lower section for rain gear and a deep top pocket.
Good hip belt pockets too.

Just keep trying packs, maybe in a different store, till you find one you like.

Hi Jennifer
Have you made your list /packing list yet.? Am I assuming correctly that you’ll be carrying your pack ?
Try to get everything you want to carry and take with you in a bag to the store. See how it will fit. Many carry around 30L or 35L . Your sleeping bag and rain gear plus spare footwear / toiletries and medical etc seem to take my space. The actual clothing doesn’t really take much space at all. IMO.
Buen camino

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
he first time the sales guy just wanted to tell me his experience hiking the Route Portuguese with his wife which wasn't helpful to me as I'm hiking the Route Frances (and he just rambled and annoyed me).
This sounds a bit tiresome, but be warned.. if you have an amazing experience on the Frances, when you return, you may also find yourself blathering on uncontrollably when someone mentions the trigger word 'camino'

Welcome to the forum!

Maybe you are asking too much. You might first need to try on packs to find the available one(s) that fit most comfortably, and then make the compromises necessary on the pockets and access points. On a smallish pack, there is not a lot of room for many access points and pockets. Besides, those features with flaps, pockets, and zippers add weight, so there is good reason the designers have chosen simplicity.

I am 5'3", and use an Osprey Talon 33 in the smaller size, so it is a 31L capacity. The Tempest line is similar and probably has a smaller size.
Good morning from BC! I just bought a Gregory Jade 38 EX/Small, because I was lucky enough to run into a wonderful MEC salesperson who spent time fitting me. I'm now 4'11", and have an extremely short back waist length due to a back issue. I'm looking forward to going to Portugal to do the Rota Vicentina, having done the Camino Frances in three trips.

I am also 5ft 1inch. I have the osprey tempest 30 in a small woman's size. I love this pack fully loaded it weighs just under 5kg so around 11lb. I agree with OzAnnie Take everything you want to carry with you to get your pack and make sure to get it fitted

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I’m exactly the same height and weight. I used the Gregory Jade 38L and found it to be very comfortable. Instead of a bladder, I used a wide mouth Nalgene bottle with a connector tube from One Bottle Hydration. I also got a big dry bag to line my pack, eliminating the need for a cover, though the pack does come with one.

Good morning from BC! I just bought a Gregory Jade 38 EX/Small, because I was lucky enough to run into a wonderful MEC salesperson who spent time fitting me. I'm now 4'11", and have an extremely short back waist length due to a back issue. I'm looking forward to going to Portugal to do the Rota Vicentina, having done the Camino Frances in three trips.

I have the Gregory Jade 38 too and love it. And it just goes to show the necessity of getting properly fit into which ever pack one chooses. While @Tacey mentions she is 4'11'', I am 5'7", yet we both have the same pack in the EX/Small size, due to torso length. The EX/Small size brings the pack capacity down to 35 liters. This is the perfect size for my kit, plus food and water, with a little room to spare. But I much rather have a little extra space than carry a tightly-packed bullet on my back and have to tetris my gear into it each morning like a puzzle.

The Jade 38 pack has great features too, many of which are on your list @misspenn2519 , including a U-zip access on the front of the pack, which allows for easy access to items stashed deeper in the pack.

I’m 5’1, short torso and I finally settled on a Mystery Ranch Scree 32L backpack from REI a few years ago. I have used it on two caminos. It’s from a company in Montana that for many years has specialized in military gear and Mystery Ranch is their consumer line. I struggled with the Osprey because the frames are slightly too wide for my hips and so would create intense pressure in the wrong place.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
the first time the sales guy just wanted to tell me his experience hiking the Route Portuguese with his wife which wasn't helpful to me as I'm hiking the Route Frances
To do away with the most obvious first: There is some saying among experienced hikers along the lines that a pack for 3 days will look very similar to a pack for 3 month. My pack for the CP would look pretty much exactly the same as it would for the Camino Frances. Maybe I'd leave something at home because of the shorter timeframe and slighty flatter terrain. But we talk maybe 200g-500g worth of stuff.

As to your main question: If you could not find something in a shop with the advice of a sales person you might need to shop online. There might be lots of trial and error included. No idea what return policies look like where you live, but you might want to keep that in mind.
It helps a lot if you know what you want to put into the pack first. In terms of volume and weight. Looking for a pack to carry 3kg is different to looking for one to carry 7kg....
So you might want to start with dialing in your other gear before shopping for a pack. Recommendations will be a lot more useful after that.

(With that caveat: my 158cm wife (i guess thats around 5"2) is currently walking with around 5,5kg inside a Fast Kumo and quite happy with it)

To do away with the most obvious first: There is some saying among experienced hikers along the lines that a pack for 3 days will look very similar to a pack for 3 month. My pack for the CP would look pretty much exactly the same as it would for the Camino Frances. Maybe I'd leave something at home because of the shorter timeframe and slighty flatter terrain. But we talk maybe 200g-500g worth of stuff.

As to your main question: If you could not find something in a shop with the advice of a sales person you might need to shop online. There might be lots of trial and error included. No idea what return policies look like where you live, but you might want to keep that in mind.
It helps a lot if you know what you want to put into the pack first. In terms of volume and weight. Looking for a pack to carry 3kg is different to looking for one to carry 7kg....
So you might want to start with dialing in your other gear before shopping for a pack. Recommendations will be a lot more useful after that.

(With that caveat: my 158cm wife (i guess thats around 5"2) is currently walking with around 5,5kg inside a Fast Kumo and quite happy with it)
Thank you for this! It's not that I couldn't find something with their help, it's that I got too irritated with the first guy because he just kept talking about his experience and he was training a new sales gal and I wasn't getting anywhere. Second time, I think I just gave them too wide of a range of what I was willing to consider. Now I think I've narrowed down the packs to the Osprey Sirrus, Osprey Tempest, Deuter Futura and Gregory Jade - Now just to try on and pick the size. I'm doing as everyone suggests and getting all of the other gear ready I'd want to fit inside lined up to help me fit size but I want to be super minimalist and pick something easy for my smaller frame. I've realized I'm ok to give up extra pockets and entry points to contents - just want lightweight and comfortable.

I’m 5’1, short torso and I finally settled on a Mystery Ranch Scree 32L backpack from REI a few years ago. I have used it on two caminos. It’s from a company in Montana that for many years has specialized in military gear and Mystery Ranch is their consumer line. I struggled with the Osprey because the frames are slightly too wide for my hips and so would create intense pressure in the wrong place.
Love these more less known specialty brand recs - thank you

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi, picking a suitable pack is time consuming but it’s one of the most important decisions you’ll make preparing for your Camino.

I highly recommend the line of packs by AARN. I own three (2 Mountain Magic ~40 liters and a 25 l day pack - Pace Magic??) if your looking for a bigger pack, the Mountain Magic is very adjustable and fits both me and my wife. The day pack I used last year and shipped a duffel bag forward each day (bad knees). This year my wife will use the day pack and I’m buying a new Pace Magic 30. I have a new knee but I still plan to ship a duffle forward so both my wife and I can walk with light loads.

Here’s a review of the Pace Magic:

And here’s another review:

The Pace Magic also comes in a 40 liter version if you want a bigger pack. If you’re disciplined with your packing list, the 30 liter version will probably work for you.

AARN packs are light weight but are very well made. They are very comfortable. I walked my first Camino with a Deuter and my second with an AARN. I found the difference in comfort remarkable. Their load balancing feature and harness systems are unique in the pack world.

Go to AaRN’s website for more on the line.

P.S. you can tell I’m a big fan, but I’m not a paid promoter. Just a very satusfied customer. 😀

Features that matter to me are mutli-ways of accessing insides (ie top roll but also side, back, and or front pocket access to inner contents. I love various front and hip pockets as well - maybe I'm aiming too high for a small pack like this.
There is a little contradiction here: the simplest, the lightest; each additional pocket weights.
Here are the lightest backpacks I know:
- https://www.natureetdecouvertes.com...onnee/sac-a-dos-ultraleger-30-litres-53143440
- https://www.rayonrando.com/sacs-a-d...l/1533-sac-a-dos-trail-running-raid-38-l.html
- https://raidlight.com/products/sac-a-dos-trail-adventure-40l

I use the first from Le Puy-en-Velay to Puente-La-Reina, I use the second since, and the third is perhaps my next backpack.

Another vote here for the Osprey Tempest series. Mine is 20l with three stretch and three zip pockets which felt just right. Added bonus is that you can carry an A4 document such as a Compostela flat in the space meant for a hydration bladder!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I’m also 5’1” and recently traded in my Gregory for REI’s Traverse 32. I took it out fully loaded yesterday and found it to be very comfortable and balanced.
I am also 5’1” and bought the same pack in XS. Seems to be the best fit for my petite frame.

My wife is about your size and uses an Osprey Sirrus 24L.
Mine is very similar, the Stratos 34L.
We like the fit and tramopline 'airspeed' back.
She's very happy with it.
The Osprey Sirrus is an excellent pack. Has side zippers to get into the main pack. Excellent ventilation and super easy to adjust the shoulder straps to match your torso size ( a brilliant design). The Sirrus 34 also comes in a panel-loading style as well as the top-loader version.

The Osprey Sirrus is an excellent pack. Has side zippers to get into the main pack. Excellent ventilation and super easy to adjust the shoulder straps to match your torso size ( a brilliant design). The Sirrus 34 also comes in a panel-loading style as well as the top-loader version.
oh really, there are two different versions (top loader vs panel?)

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Yes. And it's not obvious on the top-loader, but there are side zippers to get into the main compartment.
If you go into REI, have them use the Osprey torso measuring tool for your torso. You often cannot tell the torso size from the body height. Sounds like you know yours, though.

I am 4'10.5" and have been vacillating between a Gregory Jade 28 (it fits me well and no issues walking with it loaded) and 33 L packs. I'd prefer the slightly larger one but the shoulder straps seem to be less flexible and fit me more poorly. The Ospreys hit me on the back of the head. I did find a person in Utah who makes and tailors packs individually for folks but they're expensive and I"m not sure about weight. Someday I'd like to go visit him. Meanwhile, I will be sticking with the Gregory Jade--I"ve just gotten so tired of trying on pack after pack (yes, bringing my stuff with me). There's a few things I dislike on the Jades: top loading only, pouches on the hip belt are impossible to close, cannot in any way reach the water bottle stretchy pockets, not enough loops to hook things onto...I will be wearing a large REI fanny pack (tummy pack?) that I"ll carry water and other necessities in, maybe put my flip flops in the stretchy, unreachable pockets. Good luck! It really is so individual.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I am 4'10.5" and have been vacillating between a Gregory Jade 28 (it fits me well and no issues walking with it loaded) and 33 L packs. I'd prefer the slightly larger one but the shoulder straps seem to be less flexible and fit me more poorly. The Ospreys hit me on the back of the head. I did find a person in Utah who makes and tailors packs individually for folks but they're expensive and I"m not sure about weight. Someday I'd like to go visit him. Meanwhile, I will be sticking with the Gregory Jade--I"ve just gotten so tired of trying on pack after pack (yes, bringing my stuff with me). There's a few things I dislike on the Jades: top loading only, pouches on the hip belt are impossible to close, cannot in any way reach the water bottle stretchy pockets, not enough loops to hook things onto...I will be wearing a large REI fanny pack (tummy pack?) that I"ll carry water and other necessities in, maybe put my flip flops in the stretchy, unreachable pockets. Good luck! It really is so individual.
Did you try a Traverse at REI? I’ve become a big fan.

cannot in any way reach the water bottle stretchy pockets
One of my major issues with "mainstream" backpacks (like Osprey, Gregory, Deuter) is that they make the side pockets stupidly small (my guess: it looks better) and usually don't provide sensible options for attaching bottle sleeves to the shoulder straps. Or, god forbid, put a mesh pocket there from the start.

But many people have walked the camino with those packs and been fine, and i hope so will you.

I've had breast cancer and lymph node surgery....I've tried several packs but found that the shoulder straps aggravate my incision area and lymph nodes so finally just this past week I settled on a 30L pack from USWE because of the harness system that the pack has.
Initially the packs that I tried seem fine but once I filled them and walked 20 miles, then I knew that the straps were going to be a real problem.
You can purchase the USWE packs through Amazon and return them free if you don't like the fit.
Here is recent review that might be helpful...

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi Jen
I am training right now in a “smaller Gregory” they have come out this year with a jade and Zulu light avail in 20, 24, 28 l - they have good sized deep side stretch pockets ( good for extra water) as well as a bladder compartment. They have the heavy duty hip belt, top zip that goes down the bag so it’s easy to get to stuff and 2 front zip compartments - bag weight is around 1 kg empty! I find the fit is much better than my 30L Gregory - the ventilated back has a great curve and it fits lower. So if you can find one to try. It’s confusing as they have the same name but with light tagged on - different design as center pocket is zipped. Amazingly not much different in capacity and I learned last camino I need to travel lighter… Good luck! Jen

I have always been a fan of Osprey. But I am the opposite of you , male and XL so I am not going to suggest a model.
But work out what you want to carry, a day bag plus worked really well for my wife and I used a talon 22.
My bag on the Frances is my talon 33 and I get everything in it. I am in Orrisson as I type.
That was disappointing about REI so I suggest you get local recommendations on a good near you.
Re bladders. This is a hot subject but I prefer bottles. Easy to refill as you go. And you can always fill one with fresh orange juice from the store. A real treat.

My Gregory Maven 35 XS/S has an adjustable back which I found very helpful in getting the right length for my very short torso. I don't know if this is an option on any of the ones you have looked at [It is also available on the Gregory Jade] but if you are short-waisted, it might be a game changer.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I’m 5’4” 120lbs. Take a look at Deuter Women's Trail 28 SL and it fits perfect for me. Buen Camino🥾

I’m 5’4” 120lbs. Take a look at Deuter Women's Trail 28 SL and it fits perfect for me. Buen Camino🥾
I have this backpack as well which I used for several years but if you have a really short torso, the XS/S adjustable Gregorys are really much better. That is the very reason I switched. I have osteoporosis and have lost 3" in the torso.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I'm 5'2" and on the smaller side and have loved my Gregory Jade 38 for 8 years. I used to carry a Jade 28 but found it too annoying to Tetris everything in there, so instead I have a larger pack that I don't fill up (all the better for post-pilgriming souvenirs)! The update to this pack has some annoying features, but that might be because I'm obsessed with my old pack and don't like change. It fits the bill for all the features you're looking for, except that it's a bigger size. Just remember that a bigger pack doesn't mean it has to be much heavier...just resist the urge to fill it up.

One of my major issues with "mainstream" backpacks (like Osprey, Gregory, Deuter) is that they make the side pockets stupidly small (my guess: it looks better) and usually don't provide sensible options for attaching bottle sleeves to the shoulder straps. Or, god forbid, put a mesh pocket there from the start.

But many people have walked the camino with those packs and been fine, and i hope so will you.
I use shock cords to hold my water bottles on my shoulder straps. (use a bicycle bottle with a waist.) See my profile pic. Works great; can't even tell it's there and I can remove and replace it while walking. I asked the designer of the Osprey packs why he couldn't make side pockets that would hold water bottles you could remove and replace without having to take off your pack or ask for help. He said he prefers a water bladder. I don't, for a variety of reasons. And then he laughed at me.

I have this backpack as well which I used for several years but if you have a really short torso, the XS/S adjustable Gregorys are really much better. That is the very reason I switched. I have osteoporosis and have lost 3" in the torso.
The new ladder pack adjuster on Osprey packs is great. You can change it in less than a second. It's genius.

Attachments

• osprey ladder.jpg
    osprey ladder.jpg
    187.9 KB · Views: 6
Guides that will let you complete the journey your way.

Most read last week in this forum

I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
**Update** I reached out to the developer and a fix is in! unistalled the app again, and reinstalled the new updated version, and it works like a charm again! Hi! I am 15 days out from my...
So I have heard common wisdom is to bring a silk liner for your Camino (+/- a sleeping bag depending on your preference and season). Specifically regarding silk liners, all of the ones I've...
Greetings Fellow Pilgrims! I have more than a month to go until I leave on my first Camino, but couldn't resist getting my pack together already this weekend. My full backpack (Deuter 30 L) is...
I had bought the long Camino banner-style map in Santiago and finally got around to having it framed. The framers managed to tear my map and I'm in need of a replacement. Does anyone know where...
Hi Guys This is just for info really; but if mods want to they can delete! For this May's Camino i have gone back to my Talon 33 (so much less stuff this time; in fact everything is in the top...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.