• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Lightweight down blanket

Tinkelbel

Time of past OR future Camino
14th of August 2023
Hi there,

On the 14th I am going to start walking my first camino.

I bought a lightweight downblanket, based on someones advised however I regret buying it, as I do not know if it will be hygienic to sleep on matresses without fitted sheet. It was rather expensive so I do not like to leave it at home unused.
Does anyone have advise on how I can resolve this without adding too much extra weight?
Thank you ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
If it’s lightweight I’d take it. If it’s down filled it would be, perhaps less than 200 grams. I have one too and I always take it with me. It usually comes in handy. That or a light weight sleeping bag. A bit of insurance. Bedding can vary a lot from one place to another.

Hi Tinkelbel!

If you are planning to stay in albergues, you should probably be taking a sleeping bag or sleeping liner with you, exactly so you don't lay directly on the mattresses. As you already have a blanket, I'd say the liner is enough. (I usually carry a silk liner with me, that weights very little.)

The other option is that you sleep on top of the blanket and wrap yourself with clothes. No weight added.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
If I take a down blanket I normally carry a silk liner. Others I have seen have brought very lightweight sheet to put over the bed. (But disposable sheets in albergues have become much more common and are lightweight and could be taken and reused )

I use a down blanket. In my experience, unless it is a donativo albergue, you are likely to have a sheet and pillowcase provided, either cotton or disposable. Where there is nothing, eg the albergue at Burguete, then you can hire a sheet and pillowcase for a small amount.

The disposable sets are very thin but robust enough to be used more than once. They are very lightweight; mine weigh 64g. (My silk liner weighs 145g, so it's staying home.) My down blanket has a full length zip and drawstrings top and bottom so I can use it as a sleeping bag if I want. But I struggle to sleep being confined, I'm a terrible wriggler! I have kept the last disposable sheet and pillowcase from my last Camino to take with me next time. I always keep the newest set I'm given so they are never used more than twice.

I don't recall my down blanket ever sliding off at night. Generally I make the feet end into a footbox with the drawstring. Maybe I wriggle so much I am used to pulling my home duvet back over me 😅 I have slept under my Camino down blanket quite a few times at home. It does help to practice with your kit and then it feels familiar when you are in what at first can feel rather strange surroundings.

Buen Camino. You'll be surprised at how quickly you'll get used to it all.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi there,

I bought a lightweight downblanket, based on someones advised however I regret buying it, as I do not know if it will be hygienic to sleep on matresses without fitted sheet. It was rather expensive so I do not like to leave it at home unused.
Does anyone have advise on how I can resolve this without adding too much extra weight?
Thank you ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Us a common sleeping sheet. It can be cotton or nylon . I warm weather just the pocket shaped sleeping sheet is enough but a down coverlet is for cooler weather

How do you deal with down blanket/ sleeping bag if you've encountered bedbugs? ( My sleeping bag is synthetic, so is heat tolerant)
(Sorry if this should be in a bedbug thread.)

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
You can put a dry down blanket in the dryer. You don't have to wash it to kill the bugs.

Actually I have melted synthetics before in a dryer.

How do you deal with down blanket/ sleeping bag if you've encountered bedbugs? ( My sleeping bag is synthetic, so is heat tolerant)
(Sorry if this should be in a bedbug thread.)
Heat. Put them through a tumble dryer at 50C. Down should be able to withstand that for min 40 minutes better than synthetic. Alternatively, in a black plastic bag in the sun for an afternnoon.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I use a down blanket. In my experience, unless it is a donativo albergue, you are likely to have a sheet and pillowcase provided, either cotton or disposable. Where there is nothing, eg the albergue at Burguete, then you can hire a sheet and pillowcase for a small amount.

The disposable sets are very thin but robust enough to be used more than once. They are very lightweight; mine weigh 64g. (My silk liner weighs 145g, so it's staying home.) My down blanket has a full length zip and drawstrings top and bottom so I can use it as a sleeping bag if I want. But I struggle to sleep being confined, I'm a terrible wriggler! I have kept the last disposable sheet and pillowcase from my last Camino to take with me next time. I always keep the newest set I'm given so they are never used more than twice.

I don't recall my down blanket ever sliding off at night. Generally I make the feet end into a footbox with the drawstring. Maybe I wriggle so much I am used to pulling my home duvet back over me 😅 I have slept under my Camino down blanket quite a few times at home. It does help to practice with your kit and then it feels familiar when you are in what at first can feel rather strange surroundings.

Buen Camino. You'll be surprised at how quickly you'll get used to it all.
Where do you buy blankets with drawstrings ?

Thanks a lot for the advise. We still had a sleeping liner somewhere overhere so I decided to take this one with me and either use it solo or in combination with the down blanket when the nights are colder.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi there,

Thank you ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
I would take a lightweight (possibly silk) liner with you as well. That can be used where fitted sheets are not provided. It won't provide a lot warmth. Less warmth, but less weight and bulk than a sleeping bag. The down blanket can supplement when warmth is needed. On the other hand, where a fitted sheet is provided, you can use it instead of the liner.

Hi there,

Thank you ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Sleeping bag liner is all that is required, I carried my Ranger Blanket 800kms and used it once ….

Hi there,

Thank you ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
I bought a Stealth Angel sleeping bag that unzipped into a quilt. That's how I used it most of the time. All the places I stayed were very clean, either with fresh linens or disposable sheets.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I use a silk liner with built in pillow case, it’s tiny when folded up. I also pack a light weight down blanket that stuffs into a small bag, very light. The combination is perfect.
Is it actually silk? What brand? I’m having trouble finding one that’s actually silk. Thanks!!

Most read last week in this forum

I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
So I have heard common wisdom is to bring a silk liner for your Camino (+/- a sleeping bag depending on your preference and season). Specifically regarding silk liners, all of the ones I've...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
Hi! I am 15 days out from my Camino, and suddenly my Buen Camino app is crashing every time I try to look at my stages! I have rebooted my phone, done the "restore app" within the app, rebooted...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.