• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Portomarin Bridge Closure

naplesdon

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Multiple Caminos 2010 to 2019
Paul Garland has posted a notice on Facebook that the Portomarin Bridge will be close on 1 April for seismic stress testing. Pilgrims can cross the Mino on the lower Roman bridge but without their backpacks. The packs will be subject to a security scanner and passed over the river on a zip-wire. The Concello de Portomarin has already apologized for any disruptions and delays to foot traffic this might cause

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Paul Garland has posted a notice on Facebook that the Portomarin Bridge will be close on 1 April for seismic stress testing. Pilgrims can cross the Mino on the lower Roman bridge but without their backpacks. The packs will be subject to a security scanner and passed over the river on a zip-wire. The Concello de Portomarin has already apologized for any disruptions and delays to foot traffic this might cause
Is it possible for the pilgrims to also utilise the zip-wire 🙏

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Scary. My heart goes out to pilgrims with a fear of falling off bridges because there are no security barriers on either side of the Roman bridge. I know because I've walked on it.

Maybe better spend an extra night in Sarria or stop for the day in one of the villages before Portmarín until the day of the seismic stress testing of the Portomarín bridge has ended?

Portomarin Seismic Test Day.jpg
With thanks to Paul Garland on FB.

Boom, 💥

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
But only for us foreigners. Today is not special for the locals, they would not "get it", afaik for them it is a day in December. The 28th I think. 🤓☺️
Apparently there is a Galician tradition for 1 April too. Unless this article is also an elaborate joke. Wheels within wheels?.... :cool:

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Apparently there is a Galician tradition for 1 April too. Unless this article is also an elaborate joke. Wheels within wheels?.... :cool:
I didn't know that! Apparently, it is an older tradition that seems to have died out, being replaced by the national Spanish tradition. They are apparently trying to revive it in Galicia. So it is not an Anglo-saxon/French/other European import. At least not a recent one! I love the name: "Day when donkeys go to where they don't have to go."

Guides that will let you complete the journey your way.
I didn't know that! Apparently, it is an older tradition that seems to have died out, being replaced by the national Spanish tradition. They are apparently trying to revive it in Galicia. So it is not an Anglo-saxon/French/other European import. At least not a recent one! I love the name: "Day when donkeys go to where they don't have to go."
I didn't know that either.

Portomarin is the very location for today:
- It is not a harbour, despite the name of "porto".
- It is even not seaside, while called "marin".
- Its several centuries old church has been built on 1962...
In Galician, "Porto" is also a place on a river where people and cattle can cross walking on the water. In English is ford ( Oxford) and in German is " furt" (Frankfurt) where Frank I think is "free". Obviously the translation of Frankfurt into Italian "Francoforte" is wrong.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Sometime ago BBC did a very convincing report about the failure of the Spaghetti crop in Italy.
They said it was caused by a late frost.
It was Panorama and it was 1957. In those days you could get spaghetti in packets that were about 2 feet long, maybe a bit longer, wrapped in blue paper. But for the joke, they must have softened the pasta in the middle to hang each length over a branch of the tree. Now spaghetti only seems to be available in packs about 1 foot long.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
In those days you could get spaghetti in packets that were about 2 feet long, maybe a bit longer, wrapped in blue paper.
Or in a turquoise coloured can marked ´57 varieties´ with an orangey coloured gloop that may once have had an encounter with a tomato. We usually had it on toast. Our cat thought it was Kit-e-kat because the tin was the same colour. The spoof was all the more convincing because it was narrated by Richard Dimbleby, a voice so august and respected he was almost royalty. They don´t make them like that any more.

Maybe better spend an extra night in Sarria or stop for the day in one of the villages before Portmarín until the day of the seismic stress testing of the Portomarín bridge has ended?
I had been tempted to add “Or would this be a foolish thing to do?” but I didn’t because I thought it would have been too much of a clue that the seismic stress testing day of Portomarín was a 1st of April joke.
a day in December. The 28th I think
The traditional day in Spain for jokes of the 1st of April kind is the 28th of December, the Dia de los Inocentes.
The featured menu del dia today is poisson d'avril
“Poisson d’avril” means “April fish” in English and is the French name for 1st of April jokes.

Until next year when we can say again “April, April!” which is the German way of saying “Do you know what date it is today?” 😊

I'm Galician and I never heard about this until recently. As a child, I very much looked forward to December 28 and spent the previous weeks planning all sorts of pranks 😂

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
In Galician, "Porto" is also a place on a river where people and cattle can cross walking on the water. In English is ford ( Oxford) and in German is " furt" (Frankfurt) where Frank I think is "free". Obviously the translation of Frankfurt into Italian "Francoforte" is wrong.
Following with this ( sorry) the Italian cofusion with furt /forte was also in Spain with Portomarin/ Puertomarin that was the official name before democracy. Puerto in Spanish doesn' t never mean ford, which is " vado" in Spanish. In Italian is " guado".

Never knew there was an old bridge down under the water though.

1712054325755.jpeg

I'm Galician and I never heard about this until recently. As a child, I very much looked forward to December 28 and spent the previous weeks planning all sorts of pranks 😂
So you never put a donkey on your back? (From the article in gallego cited above). 🤣

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

Most read last week in this forum

Zubiri was full early yesterday (by 2:30, according to some pilgrims who came to Pamplona today), but Zubiri opened up a municipal building just past the town for some pilgrims to sleep on the...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
My friend is trying to figure out bookings/lodging. She started in SJPDP Friday, ended up walking the Winter route to Roncesvalles in one day, only to find no bed so bused back to SJPDP to sleep...
Hello everyone, This is a cry for help. I post this on behalf of my wife, who is walking the camino at the moment. Her backpack was taken away from the reception of the albergue Benedictina's...
Within the past few hours there have been two stories on local news media reporting that the Guardia Civil have been successful in returning lost passports to pilgrims. One in Najera, the other in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back