• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Starting from Porto on 1st of June

Paulette_89

Time of past OR future Camino
Plan the Camino Portuguese in 2015
Hi everyone,

I've just booked my flight to Lisbon and I will start the camino from Porto on Monday, 1st of June -> until 13 of June in Santiago when I have to go back home. I've just managed to take 2 weeks off from work and I have to plan everything in a rush ... never been on airplane and never travelled alone! I have accomodation in Lisbon, train from Lisbon to Porto and accomodation in Porto.
I am worried about the bus from Santiago to Madrid (from http://reserbus.es/ as found on the forum) because I only have ID card, don't have time to make a passport ...

Is anyone doing the camino in this period? I can't wait to get there!

Bom caminho everyone!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I don't know whether you're from the EU or not. Passports are usually asked when you check into accommodations (Hotels,Pensions,Hostals, even Albergues). But I noticed Citizens of EU countries only showed their ID cards.
A suggestion would be to check Ryanair as soon as you can and see how much the ticket from SdC to Madrid is. It may be cheaper and quicker to get there. The other option is to take the train. I flew from SdC to Madrid last year when I finished the Camino Frances. It was a short flight, compared to travelling by bus or train.
Bom Caminho!

Hello Angelo! I am from EU so should be ok, theoretically. There are Ryanair flights from SdC to Madrid but I want to take the bus or train, i think it would be a nicer experience. Thanks for your reply!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
If yo
Hi everyone,

I've just booked my flight to Lisbon and I will start the camino from Porto on Monday, 1st of June -> until 13 of June in Santiago when I have to go back home. I've just managed to take 2 weeks off from work and I have to plan everything in a rush ... never been on airplane and never travelled alone! I have accomodation in Lisbon, train from Lisbon to Porto and accomodation in Porto.
I am worried about the bus from Santiago to Madrid (from http://reserbus.es/ as found on the forum) because I only have ID card, don't have time to make a passport ...

Bom caminho everyone!
If you are from the EC you only need an ID card. Why not start in Valença or Tui and take some more relaxed time . I suffer from hyperventilation by reading your post...I just finnished my caminho from Porto last saturday very r e l a x e d. Enjoyed every step of it..

Hi Paulette, my husband, Mike, and I are starting from Porto on Sunday 31st but are only walking to Matosinhos the first day so it is more than likely that we will meet up. We will probably get to Santiago about the same time as you. We are Australians, in our early 60s and I have a Forum badge on my pack. See you somewhere on The Way.
Jacki.

If yo
If you are from the EC you only need an ID card. Why not start in Valença or Tui and take some more relaxed time . I suffer from hyperventilation by reading your post...I just finnished my caminho from Porto last saturday very r e l a x e d. Enjoyed every step of it..

Hi Albertinho! Yes I am from Romania. I am thinking about some shorter route because I'm not used to walk 30km per day ... reading about the one from Valença now. Thank you for the tip!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi Paulette, my husband, Mike, and I are starting from Porto on Sunday 31st but are only walking to Matosinhos the first day so it is more than likely that we will meet up. We will probably get to Santiago about the same time as you. We are Australians, in our early 60s and I have a Forum badge on my pack. See you somewhere on The Way.
Jacki.

Hello Jacki! That's great! Hope we will meet on the way, what route have you thought about?

If yo
Hi everyone,

Bom caminho everyone!
If you are from the EC you only need an ID card. Why not start in Valença of Tui and take some more relaxed time . I suffer from hyperventilation by reading your post...I just finnished my caminho from Porto last saturday very r e l a x e d. Enjoyed every step of it..
Hi Albertinho! Yes I am from Romania. I am thinking about some shorter route because I'm not used to walk 30km per day ... reading about the one from Valença now. Thank you for the tip!
wise decision as you are a beginner.
You avoid the La Bruja mountain between Ponte de Lima and Rubiaês which could spoil your entire caminho

Bom caminho

If yo
If you are from the EC you only need an ID card. Why not start in Valença of Tui and take some more relaxed time . I suffer from hyperventilation by reading your post...I just finnished my caminho from Porto last saturday very r e l a x e d. Enjoyed every step of it..

wise decision as you are a beginner.
You avoid the La Bruja mountain between Ponte de Lima and Rubiaês which could spoil your entire caminho

Bom caminho

Hi Albertinho,

After reading more on the forum, I want my first night on the caminho to be at Casa Fernanda, you all talk so beautifully about this couple!

So this would be an option:
1. Barcelos - Casa Fernanda (16km)
2. Casa Fernanda - Ponte de Lima (13km)
Ponte de Lima - Rubiaes - La Bruja mountain advisable to be skipped
3. Rubiaes - Valenca (20km)
4. Valenca - O Porrino (20km)
5. O Porrino - Redondela (15km)
6. Redondela - Pontevedra (19km)
7. Pontevedra - Caldas (23km)
8. Caldas - Teo (27km)
9. Teo - Santiago (7km)

Now my question is, will I find some taxi to take me from Ponte de Lima to Rubiaes? I didn't find any bus yet.

Many thanks!!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi Paulette (and anyone else stating on the 1st of June)

I too am walking from Porto to Santiago starting on the 1st. I shall be walking with a companion who I met on the Frances last year. I hope you enjoy your Camino, even if we don't meet we shall have shared footprints at some time.

Enjoy

Hi Paulette (and anyone else stating on the 1st of June)

I too am walking from Porto to Santiago starting on the 1st. I shall be walking with a companion who I met on the Frances last year. I hope you enjoy your Camino, even if we don't meet we shall have shared footprints at some time.

Enjoy
Hello Pererin! Maybe we will meet, I thought about walking at least to Matosinhos. How much time you both have to get to Santiago?

Hi Albertinho,

After reading more on the forum, I want my first night on the caminho to be at Casa Fernanda, you all talk so beautifully about this couple!

So this would be an option:
1. Barcelos - Casa Fernanda (16km)
2. Casa Fernanda - Ponte de Lima (13km)
Ponte de Lima - Rubiaes - La Bruja mountain advisable to be skipped
3. Rubiaes - Valenca (20km)
4. Valenca - O Porrino (20km)
5. O Porrino - Redondela (15km)
6. Redondela - Pontevedra (19km)
7. Pontevedra - Caldas (23km)
8. Caldas - Teo (27km)
9. Teo - Santiago (7km)

Now my question is, will I find some taxi to take me from Ponte de Lima to Rubiaes? I didn't find any bus yet.

Many thanks!!
Good plan. I think you will find a bus or taxi in Ponte de Lima
Do not forget to phone Fernanda on before hand. It can be busy

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi Paulette and Pererin,
We go Porto to Matosinhos on the 31st,
to Vila do Conde on the 1st and then on to Rates, Barcelos etc as the mood (feet) take us.
We certainly won't miss out on the Ponte de Lima - Rubiaes stage, it looks magnificent.
Hope to meet you all out there.
Jacki.

Enjoy, guys! Just remember if you have to walk to Matosinhos, it can be busy on the road.
If you are headed for Vila do Conde, always stick to the coastline even if the boardwalk ends or is still under construction (ask the construction workers if so required.. ). I got lost when I decided to head for the roads... several times.
Paulette89, there is a taxi stand in Ponte de Lima across the statue of Dona Teresa in Praca de Republica. Rubiaes is less than 20kms away.I don't believe buses service Rubiaes directly. Well, I could be wrong.
Bom Caminho!

Last edited:
Enjoy, guys! Just remember if you have to walk to Matosinhos, it can be busy on the road.
If you are headed for Vila do Conde, always stick to the coastline even if the boardwalk ends or is still under construction (ask the construction workers if so required.. ). I got lost when I decided to head for the roads... several times.
Paulette89, there is a taxi stand in Ponte de Lima across the statue of Dona Teresa in Praca de Republica. Rubiaes is less than 20kms away.I don't believe buses service Rubiaes directly. Well, I could be wrong.
Bom Caminho!
You could ask a local in Ponte de Lima about any eventual bus connection
We were in the Salnês region out of Pontevedra and even the tourist info denied there was a bus going to where we wanted to go but the owner of the hostal looked in the local paper, saw an announcement of Monbus, phoned the telephone number and the next day we sat on the bus to the middle of nowhere where we wanted to go to !

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Most read last week in this forum

My final question since I have asked sooo many. Grabbing a light lunch that I can get on the go, hoping to grab it, and find a square or a bench to enjoy it, then get back to walking. Not really...
Hello everyone! My wife and I are doing our first Camino in Sept and I was very curious about the stretch from Tui to Pontevedra. We have been to Spain multiple times and love the small towns...
Dear all, I have done Camino Frances, Norte and Primitivo and would like to ask about Portuges. I have some soul-searching to do and would love to walk a part of it, unfortunately only a part...
We arrived in Lisbon yesterday, 48 hrs (by choice via Singapore, Milan and Madrid) after leaving home from regional South Australia. Train to Porto tomorrow hitting the pilgram path on Saturday to...
Hello, I lost my GoPro with all my pictures on the Camino between Pedra Furada and Aborim last week. Is there a lost and found in SDC? Any other ideas? Thanks and Buen Camino.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back