• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Suggestions for starting point north of Porto

BarbaraW

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances 2019/22, Portuguese 2023, Ingles 2024
I am currently walking from Tomar to Coimbra and had always planned to skip Coimbra to Porto because of distances between albergues. 20 k per day is about my maximum.
My plans have had to change and I need to shave a day or two off my walk. Please can anyone suggest a suitable place to restart that is a accessible by public transport from Coimbra . I hope to be in Coimbra by about 1 pm tomorrow.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
My wife took an Alsa bus from Coimbra to SDC yesterday. On the Porto to Santiago leg it stopped at Porto airport and went to Braga. The bus I took last week from Coimbra to Valença went out to the coast from Porto and had several stops that would put you onto the Coastal Route. We have been using the Alsa site for bookings (Alsa.com).

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
According to Rome2Rio you can take the train from Coimbra to Barcelos. This is two Brierley stages north of Porto on the Central Route and a very nice town. There are a number of trains available throughout the day, some direct, some with one change. Times are from 2hrs 10 mins to 3hrs 8 mins depending on which you choose.

According to Rome2Rio you can take the train from Coimbra to Barcelos. This is two Brierley stages north of Porto on the Central Route and a very nice town. There are a number of trains available throughout the day, some direct, some with one change. Times are from 2hrs 10 mins to 3hrs 8 mins depending on which you choose.
I think this is a great option.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Thank you all. I could not find anywhere reasonable to stay in Barcelos tomorrow so will spend tomorrow night in Porto or in Vila do Conde then get transport to Barcelos and walk from there.

Thank you all. I could not find anywhere reasonable to stay in Barcelos tomorrow so will spend tomorrow night in Porto or in Vila do Conde then get transport to Barcelos and walk from there.
Your next stop after Barcelos can be Casa da Fernanda in Vitorino dos Piães, 18 kms from Barcelos
The best albergue on the entire Portuguese caminho.
Give a Fernanda a call to be shure she will have a place for you
Tel +351 914 589 521
Fernanda speaks English.
If you can not reach her, send me a PM
I have the telephone number of her husband.

Your next stop after Barcelos can be Casa da Fernanda in Vitorino dos Piães, 18 kms from Barcelos
The best albergue on the entire Portuguese caminho.
Give a Fernanda a call to be shure she will have a place for you
Tel +351 914 589 521
Fernanda speaks English.
If you can not reach her, send me a PM
I have the telephone number of her husband.
I agree that Casa Fernanda is a great stop after Barcelos.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I am currently walking from Tomar to Coimbra and had always planned to skip Coimbra to Porto because of distances between albergues. 20 k per day is about my maximum.
My plans have had to change and I need to shave a day or two off my walk. Please can anyone suggest a suitable place to restart that is an accessible by public transport from Coimbra . I hope to be in Coimbra by about 1 pm tomorrow.
We just started from Viana do Castelo (take bus). Stay in the Santa Luzia albergue on top of hill. VdC has a great mall with a food court btw. Grocery store is in the mall. Get groceries down below before taxi up. There is a beautiful trail down to join Coastal route.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
My plans have had to change and I need to shave a day or two off my walk. Please can anyone suggest a suitable place to restart that is a accessible by public transport from Coimbra . I hope to be in Coimbra by about 1 pm tomorrow.
Hi

I have just returned from Santiago with my 15 year old son. We spent a couple of days in Porto and then got the train to Barcelos, which was easy and cheap. We walked from Barcelos to Casa Fernanda, where after and evening of food, singing and dancing; he announced it was the best night of his life!!! It was certainly fun. After that it is a straightforward and not to arduous journey up to Santiago. If you plan on Casa Fenandas, book first.

Enjoy

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
You could also start in Braga and walk the Camino Torres, or rejoin the Central at Ponte de Lima. But it is a tough walk. Hope this helps

Bom Caminho

My wife took an Alsa bus from Coimbra to SDC yesterday. On the Porto to Santiago leg it stopped at Porto airport and went to Braga. The bus I took last week from Coimbra to Valença went out to the coast from Porto and had several stops that would put you onto the Coastal Route. We have been using the Alsa site for bookings (Alsa.com).
Doug r u in Portugal at present or is this an older post.

Doug r u in Portugal at present or is this an older post.
My wife and I are staying in Coimbra now. We have had no difficulty finding bus services. The train is a little less certain at the moment, although much more comfortable if you can get on one. The buses are a bit cramped for us.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Most read last week in this forum

My final question since I have asked sooo many. Grabbing a light lunch that I can get on the go, hoping to grab it, and find a square or a bench to enjoy it, then get back to walking. Not really...
Hello everyone! My wife and I are doing our first Camino in Sept and I was very curious about the stretch from Tui to Pontevedra. We have been to Spain multiple times and love the small towns...
Dear all, I have done Camino Frances, Norte and Primitivo and would like to ask about Portuges. I have some soul-searching to do and would love to walk a part of it, unfortunately only a part...
We arrived in Lisbon yesterday, 48 hrs (by choice via Singapore, Milan and Madrid) after leaving home from regional South Australia. Train to Porto tomorrow hitting the pilgram path on Saturday to...
Hello, I lost my GoPro with all my pictures on the Camino between Pedra Furada and Aborim last week. Is there a lost and found in SDC? Any other ideas? Thanks and Buen Camino.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back