• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

One week to Deba

Thornley

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Frances x 2 , Norte x 2 , Le Puy x 3 , Portuguese x 2,
Mont St Michel , Primitivo .
Have been asked the following by two women aged a young 70 yrs;

They will be taking their time as Norte was walked previously with family , now for the sight seeing and a leisurely walk.
It will be June 2016.
Flight will land @ Biarritz,
They will commence from Hendaye.

1/ Accomm in Hondarribia , any suggestions ?
2/ Has anyone stayed overnight in either San Juan or San Pedro?
3/ San Sebastian is organised for a few nights as they have a son working there,
4/ Any ideas on Zumaya and surrounds ?

Anyone who has tasted the finer parts of this section and can assist will make my life a bit easier as the questions keep coming.
They love good food and a daily stroll

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi, Thornley,

I can only answer one of those questions. Hondarribia is quite the touristy prettified town, there is no shortage of lovely accommodations, from a parador on down. Just take a quick look on booking and I'm sure you'll see a ton of options. I'm a sucker for those old stone buildings lovingly restored and decorated with flowerpots in every window, and Hondarribia has about a million of those.

David, we did not stay in Irun or Hondarribia (we looked at the price of the parador and decided to pass), but did stay in San Juan. There is a small albergue there that seemed very pleasant but by the time we arrived at nightfall it was full. We pitched our tent out the front. I was unable to find other accommodation online. It probably does exist but is not in any of the guide books. The one listed in The Northern Caminos had the wrong phone number or they've closed). I'd suggest getting to the albergue early is the best bet. BTW, it is along a path that goes off to the left before you walk down into San Juan - but clearly signposted.

At Zarautz we stayed at the caravan park. They have an albergue but I did not see it, they probably have caravans too; we used the tent.

I'd be looking at booking.com

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I have tried and not found online any accommodation in San Juan apart from the albergue. I would imagine that one of the bar or restaurant owners in the little plaza would have rooms to rent or be able to find something for you.

Have slept in the albergue in San Juan. I know there is private accomodation in San Juan because I know some people who stayed there (they were directed there by the albergue owners, as the albergue was full). I vaguely remember it is a white house at the entrance of the village (not very helpful I know).

In Zumaia I particicularly liked the Albergue Convento San Jose Zumaia. Small rooms, nice courtyard/garden, quiet atmosphere.

Last edited:
Have been asked the following by two women aged a young 70 yrs;

They will be taking their time as Norte was walked previously with family , now for the sight seeing and a leisurely walk.
It will be June 2016.
Flight will land @ Biarritz,
They will commence from Hendaye.

1/ Accomm in Hondarribia , any suggestions ?
2/ Has anyone stayed overnight in either San Juan or San Pedro?
3/ San Sebastian is organised for a few nights as they have a son working there,
4/ Any ideas on Zumaya and surrounds ?

Anyone who has tasted the finer parts of this section and can assist will make my life a bit easier as the questions keep coming.
They love good food and a daily stroll
The albege in Deba, above the train station os modern, clean, has a clothes dryer that could dry everyonés clothes in 20 min ( be sure to share) and so,e loinging area, just ok. There is an albergue past that that helps break up the tough day after, but I have not stayed there. Santa Klara has a great reputation. Can go for the albergue part of it, or the B&B.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Stayed in the albergue in San Juan in October. It was not full, but I guess in June it could be. We are all in 60s and 70s and were the first ones to arrive there. Most people walk on to San Sebastián in one day.
Also, we started our walk from Ciboure/St Jean de Luz. This is an excellent place to start as the food and views are wonderful. The walk into Irun along the coast was leisurely and quite beautiful.

Hi, Thornley,

I can only answer one of those questions. Hondarribia is quite the touristy prettified town, there is no shortage of lovely accommodations, from a parador on down. Just take a quick look on booking and I'm sure you'll see a ton of options. I'm a sucker for those old stone buildings lovingly restored and decorated with flowerpots in every window, and Hondarribia has about a million of those.

Thanks Laurie,
The ladies are widowed and walked the Norte over 15 years ago with their husbands,
Yes they are staying in The Parador and also the one where they intend to finish.

The albege in Deba, above the train station os modern, clean, has a clothes dryer that could dry everyonés clothes in 20 min ( be sure to share) and so,e loinging area, just ok. There is an albergue past that that helps break up the tough day after, but I have not stayed there. Santa Klara has a great reputation. Can go for the albergue part of it, or the B&B.

Thanks for the reply Anenone ,
They will be staying @ Pension Zumardi in Deba , after getting a lovely reply to their request.

Have slept in the albergue in San Juan. I know there is private accomodation in San Juan because I know some people who stayed there (they were directed there by the albergue owners, as the albergue was full). I vaguely remember it is a white house at the entrance of the village (not very helpful I know).

In Zumaia I particicularly liked the Albergue Convento San Jose Zumaia. Small rooms, nice courtyard/garden, quiet atmosphere.

Thanks Marc,
It seems the Parador has given them the name of the person in S Juan with the rooms being on the ground floor.
Yes you are correct about Zumaia , thats where they have decided and with private facilities.

Stayed in the albergue in San Juan in October. It was not full, but I guess in June it could be. We are all in 60s and 70s and were the first ones to arrive there. Most people walk on to San Sebastián in one day.
Also, we started our walk from Ciboure/St Jean de Luz. This is an excellent place to start as the food and views are wonderful. The walk into Irun along the coast was leisurely and quite beautiful.

Hi Sharon,
When we walked Norte a few years ago Sharon we commenced in Biarritz and took two days to Hendaye.
We have talked them into following your walk from St Jean de Luz however they will head straight to Hondarribia.
San Sebastian has caused a few discussions , one wants the Zaragoza Plaza Hotel whilst her oldest sister is adamant it will be Hotel Leku Eder making the next day a fraction easier.

I know they will get the train from Deba to Bilbao and i know the above answers has left me off the hook on giving advice to my older cousins.
Thanks for your advice

PS What happened when you finished the GR 65 , did you walk to Biarritz ?

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi Thornley,

Before arriving in Deba there is an alternative way that descends to the beach. It is mentioned in some guides. It was one of the most beautiful parts of my Camino. The rocks are called "flysch" (I know, the spelling doesn't look spanish but that's what they're called); that is, stones and rocks that has been shaped by the movements of the oceans and so on. It was impressive. Although you have to pay this visit with som ups and downs to get back to Deba. The last part of this alternative was really hard and the signage is poor. It is also a bit longer than the original camino. I took the detour by coincidence: I simply made the wrong turn. (Bad pilgrim...) But I'm glad I did! :O)

/BP

Hi Thornley,

Before arriving in Deba there is an alternative way that descends to the beach. It is mentioned in some guides. It was one of the most beautiful parts of my Camino. The rocks are called "flysch" (I know, the spelling doesn't look spanish but that's what they're called); that is, stones and rocks that has been shaped by the movements of the oceans and so on. It was impressive. Although you have to pay this visit with som ups and downs to get back to Deba. The last part of this alternative was really hard and the signage is poor. It is also a bit longer than the original camino. I took the detour by coincidence: I simply made the wrong turn. (Bad pilgrim...) But I'm glad I did! :O)

/BP
If you take the other route you arrive in a hamlet with a little bar. The host made me a glorious slice of tuna with a tomato salad. She then served me a glass, my first!, of Flysch Txacoli. Txacoli being the local sparkling wine, Flusch being the name of the winery across the street that makes it. Now I know where the name came from. Ypu can opt for the detour when you climb up to a park/camping area with picnic tables and loos, if I'm not mistaken. There are signs that show the direction towards the GR, that is what you follow of you are up fo the longer walk. I had not eaten all day and thought I was about to collapse, especially simce my guide made no mention of the bar at the hamlet, hence why I will never forget that slice of tuna, tomato salad and Txacoli. :)

If you take the other route you arrive in a hamlet with a little bar. The host made me a glorious slice of tuna with a tomato salad. She then served me a glass, my first!, of Flysch Txacoli. Txacoli being the local sparkling wine, Flusch being the name of the winery across the street that makes it. Now I know where the name came from. Ypu can opt for the detour when you climb up to a park/camping area with picnic tables and loos, if I'm not mistaken. There are signs that show the direction towards the GR, that is what you follow of you are up fo the longer walk. I had not eaten all day and thought I was about to collapse, especially simce my guide made no mention of the bar at the hamlet, hence why I will never forget that slice of tuna, tomato salad and Txacoli. :)

Anemone & Thornley,

Okay, thanks for info. I'm doing the Norte for the 2nd time this summer (I hope) so I'll take the "normal" (non-flysch) way this time. Your guide didn't mention the hamlet = which guide did you have? I'm going to take the Eroski guide from the net, which is said to be updated frequently as times go by. But actually, this guide, that should be the most recent one, doesen't even mention the flysch alternative and it isn't inidicated on the maps.

The name "flysch" itself is really strange: spelling is not spanish nor basque (euskera). Perhaps some other pilgrim can shed some light upon this.

/BP

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Anemone & Thornley,

Okay, thanks for info. I'm doing the Norte for the 2nd time this summer (I hope) so I'll take the "normal" (non-flysch) way this time. Your guide didn't mention the hamlet = which guide did you have? I'm going to take the Eroski guide from the net, which is said to be updated frequently as times go by. But actually, this guide, that should be the most recent one, doesen't even mention the flysch alternative and it isn't inidicated on the maps.

The name "flysch" itself is really strange: spelling is not spanish nor basque (euskera). Perhaps some other pilgrim can shed some light upon this.

/BP
I was using a Spanish Guide, Editorial Buen Camino. Loved it because it was published just a month before I walked. The hamlet is called Elorriaga, and I need to clarify, while it is mentioned in the guide there is no mention of its bar. And this guide also does not mention the alternative route. Cicerone does mention the "tabarna" and the alternate route : " 7.6km, very scenic, following the GR121 red route signs. "

I always use Eroski, but for albergues, distances and elevations. Not for directions. And not because I do not find it unrealiable but because I have gotten into the habit of buying a guide, taking pics of the pages I will walk, and then make notes in it.

Another recommendation is using the albergue in Olatz, 8km or so after Deba, to break up that difficult day's hike due to elevation and terrain.

Hi Thornley. We actually walked into St Jean Pied de Port, then caught the bus and train to St Jean de Luz. Decided against walking from St Palais to the coast as we wanted a few rest days on the coast before starting del Norte.
Had a wonderful time.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Okaaay, Wiki, didn't think of it... Just looked it up. Spanish "translation" is facies, but they use flysch as well.

"The name comes from the German word fliessen, which means to flow,"

!

/BP

Hi Thornley,

/BP
Yes, one of the most beautiful parts of the entire Camino el Norte!

Yes, one of the most beautiful parts of the entire Camino el Norte!

Yes, when I look back on it it really was. But it was totally unplanned, and only my 4th stage on the Camino, when I had only done short stages before... I was exhausted when I got to Deba! The other pilgrims had seen me take the alternative from a distance. They had no idea where I was going - and neither had I! :O) An old man was taking a swim - naked - by the flysch, so I guess there are not many people that take that path! :OD He was embarrassed and jumped into his closed as fast as he could. :O) As I said, it's not mentioned in many of the new guides so I hope it won't fade out of use.

/BP

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi Thornley. We actually walked into St Jean Pied de Port, then caught the bus and train to St Jean de Luz. Decided against walking from St Palais to the coast as we wanted a few rest days on the coast before starting del Norte.
Had a wonderful time.

Hi Sharon,
What hotel on the" Littoral" in St Jean / Ciboure did you use ?

Hi, Thornley,

I was using a Spanish Guide, Editorial Buen Camino. Loved it because it was published just a month before I walked. The hamlet is called Elorriaga, and I need to clarify, while it is mentioned in the guide there is no mention of its bar. And this guide also does not mention the alternative route. Cicerone does mention the "tabarna" and the alternate route : " 7.6km, very scenic, following the GR121 red route signs. "

I always use Eroski, but for albergues, distances and elevations. Not for directions. And not because I do not find it unrealiable but because I have gotten into the habit of buying a guide, taking pics of the pages I will walk, and then make notes in it.

Another recommendation is using the albergue in Olatz, 8km or so after Deba, to break up that difficult day's hike due to elevation and terrain.
Anemone & Thornley,

/BP

To all who have assisted my friends on their return to the Norte they have over a long Christmas lunch [and a bit more] organised the following and wish to thank you all the advice given.

After a few long flights night in Biarritz @ La Maison du Lierre
Next day bus to Bidart and then onto Littoral [ Coastal Path]

1/ Stoping after 12 km @ St Jean de Luz/Ciboure
2/ Stopping after 13 km @ Hondarribia in Hotel Sercotel Jauregui. The manager was very helpful in reply letter to their request on information on accommodation in San Pedro [Pasajes].There was none but the reply was beautifully written by Unai and wished them all the best.
3/ Bags go ahead and the long walk of 25km to San Sebastian.They intend and it was agreed over a Rose' to use the Funicular to Hotel Leku Eger after a good lunch .
4/ Walk 19km to Zarautz and then the reason why i believe they are doing this section slowly..
they will get the bus to Getaria for lunch. They know there are a few Michelin star restr's.in this village and the Turbot is world famous .
Then a 10minute bus ride [ they will be over the limit now if driving or walking ] to Zumaia and the Convent.
5/ The next day a hard/lovely 15km on the GR121 to Deba staying in Pension Zamardi

Its been 15 years since the Norte with their husbands [ they are now widows ] and they have loved the planning all around their "fish" lunches . The Sole and Turbot in this section is regarded as the best in the world.
I don't think they will reach Santander ......lol.
Thanks everyone.

Last edited:

Hi Marc,
Any idea on Zambia to Deba ......... estimated time ??????
They are staying in the convent, can't book till 3/6 but found out from SS that the bus leaves Deba @ 12 .10 for Bilbao.
Longer on Camino ? or Scenery and slopes on Gr ?
They are now both over 70yrs but it will be in late June.
Thanks for earlier advice , they have completed all bookings except San Jose Convent.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
@Bad Pilgrim , you asked about the word "flysch", not being Basque nor Castellano. It's used in English and other languages to describe this type of rock formation. It's the last name of the Swiss geologist who described them.

Hi Marc,
Any idea on Zambia to Deba ......... estimated time ??????.

It is a rather long walk from Zambia to Deba, but from Zumaia to Deba it is app. 13 km. so perfectly doable in a day.
I did not walk the GR route into Deba, but it is supposedly very beautiful - I do not know how steep it is.

Most read last week in this forum

I use Alltrails a lot here in the US, in Iceland, on the Via Podiensis and a bit on the CF. Will it be useful on the Norte? For example, people here say the "warm up" from Biarritz to Irun (or...
Last May I walked the first part of the Norte in the opposite direction, from Santander to Irun. Since I only had two weeks and couldn't reach Santiago anyway, I wanted to swim against the tide...
Tomorrow I fly to Bilbao to start my 5th stint on the Camino. I did the Frances in three parts (2016, 2017 and 2022). Last year I did the Portuguese from Porto. I did the first 200 km of the...
I thought I had this all figured out, but I have ended up with 2 train tickets from San Sebastian (I don't even know if it's the airport or the town) to Irun, instead of ONE that goes all the way...
Hi! I’m a Camino newbie planning on walking Camino del Norte this May-June. I have previous hiking experience and do well on longer distances and so on, but not any super recent multi day long...
I’m on day 2 of the CDN and I’m just blown away by the views. Day 1 Irun to San Sebastián, day 2 San Sebastián to Askizu Buen Camino

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.