• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Traveling to the Camino

Joannesan

Time of past OR future Camino
September (2016)
My husband and I plan to walk the Camino in September. We are flying from New York and have chosen Madrid as our arrival point. I am looking at the train to St. Jean...., but am unclear if this is the best route. Can someone share their recommendation on best way to get to St. Jean Pied de Port?
Thank you mucho..

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
The way that I'm doing it is train from Madrid to Pamplona. I have made a reservation at Pension Corazón Puro. In addition to an overnight stay with dinner and breakfast, part of their service is pickup at the train or bus station, then drive you to SJPDP in the morning. All for only €45.

http://www.corazonpuro.es/Enghome.html

SJPdP is connected to Gare Bayonne by SNCF train and Transports64 buses.

SJPdP is connected to Pamplona by CONDA (ALSA) bus.

The closest airport to SJPdP is Biarritz Airport BIQ.

So your objective is to get from Madrid to either of Bayonne or Pamplona and onward to SJPdP.

a. Madrid is connected to Pamplona by Renfe train, bus or flights to PNA airport. Catch CONDA bus from Pamplona to SJPdP. This is the least complicated but the bus schedule from Pamplona to SJPdP is limited.

The bus is popular because some ALSA (and PLM Autocares) buses pick up at Madrid Airport. Its also popular because there is no transfer from Pamplona train station to bus station. There are more buses leaving from Madrid Avenida de America that don't make a stop at the airport. Note ALSA buses involve a transfer at either Soria or Zaragosa.

The train is popular because it is fast and comfortable.

Flights are expensive.

b. Madrid is connected to Irun by Renfe train. Use Donostialdea Metro to get from Irun Renfe station to Gare d'Hendaye. Take an SNCF train or Transports64 bus from Gare d'Hendaye to Bayonne.

This is the most complicated route because of the transfer from Irun Renfe station across the border to Gare d'Hendaye. Note some Renfe trains terminate in Hendaye. Its a distance of 3 km from Renfe station to SNCF station.

c. Madrid MAD is connected to Biarritz BIQ by airlines (Air Iberia). Biarritz/Anglet/Bayonne airport is connected to Gare Bayonne by Chronoplus bus #14. This is probably the most expensive route.

Alternatively fly to San Sebastian EAS airport, located 5 km from Gare d'Hendaye ... handy to the SNCF train network. described at b.

d. It is possible to take an ALSA bus from Madrid to San Sebastian. ALSA and PESA provide bus service from San Sebastian to Bayonne and from San Sebastian to SJPdP via Pamplona.

e. There are other permutations.

Getting around in Madrid:

Madrid Airport is served by Cercanias train, Madrid Metro (Subway), and EMT Madrid bus.

Avenida de America is accessed by EMT Madrid bus #200 and by Metro from either T1T2T3 or T4.

Most trains to Pamplona leave from Renfe Puerta de Atocha. Access Atocha by Cercanias from T4, Metro or EMT Aeropuerto Express #203 bus from T1T2T3 or T4 .

The other station is Renfe Chamartin. Chamartin is accessed by Cercanias from T4 or Metro from T1T2T3 or T4.

Last edited by a moderator:
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
My husband and I plan to walk the Camino in September. We are flying from New York and have chosen Madrid as our arrival point. I am looking at the train to St. Jean...., but am unclear if this is the best route. Can someone share their recommendation on best way to get to St. Jean Pied de Port?
Thank you mucho..

I found a flight from Madrid to Biarritz for $65. It takes 1 hr. It's around noon, so the times work out for me to get from Madrid to SJPdP on the same day.

Take a look at the web of Iberia for info about schedules and fares of flights from Madrid to Biarritz. Flights are operated by Air Nostrum (aka Iberia Regional or Iberia Regional Air Nostrum).

Most read last week in this forum

I begin my first Camino in mid-May from SJPdP. Due to time constraints related to available PTO, I unfortunately have to skip a few towns along the way if I am to start in SJPdP and end in...
I have just popped my Targeta Dorada (Golden Ticket) in my packing box. They cost €12 and cannot be bought online, but can be renewed online. If journeying too or from the Camino on Spanish trains...
Hi there i'm a first time Camino walker - planning for Sept this year. I have a question if anyone can help. We are going with friends but we can't fly out at the same time so we are going to fly...
Warning for those flying in to France -- there's a strike tomorrow April 25th, which likely will NOT prevent flying in or out of the country on international flights, but is very likely to affect...
I am flying to Santiago via Dublin and have about a 10 hour layover. I arrive 0830 and my flight on Ryanair is not till 1930. Any suggestions on how I can spend my time? Is it practical to go...
A friend due to walk from Sarria to SdC next month is now injured still wants to go along with group walking. Any advice on transport options for him to go from Stage to Stage. All options...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back