• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Walking buggy

DreamHiker2

DreamHiker2
Time of past OR future Camino
Does anyone know of a hire company or where I can get a second hand walking buggy (trying to save my back) for walking the Camino Frances - starting SJPD September 2017? I know it is early but sometimes these things take time to source ;)

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Does anyone know of a hire company or where I can get a second hand walking buggy (trying to save my back) for walking the Camino Frances - starting SJPD September 2017? I know it is early but sometimes these things take time to source ;)

What is a walking buggy? Do you mean a trailer that you pull along behind you? I saw quite a number of French people using those on the Chemin du Puy, so maybe France might be the best place to look for a company that hires them out. Jill

What is a walking buggy? Do you mean a trailer that you pull along behind you? I saw quite a number of French people using those on the Chemin du Puy, so maybe France might be the best place to look for a company that hires them out. Jill
That is exactly what I meant, thanks Jill :)

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I am not 100% sure, but I think that Radical design in Holland also rented them out. If you bought it afterwards they would take the rent of the sellingprice. I looked at it some years ago, so don't know if my information is still correct...
Never used one. But if you want to take a tent it seems nice. But I think sometimes it can be an obstacle too.

I am not 100% sure, but I think that Radical design in Holland also rented them out. If you bought it afterwards they would take the rent of the sellingprice. I looked at it some years ago, so don't know if my information is still correct...
Never used one. But if you want to take a tent it seems nice. But I think sometimes it can be an obstacle too.
In Holland they still rent them out. Click on the calender.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Thanks for the information and I will be checking out the weblinks - very much appreciated. Buen Camino

A major disadvantage is that they are really not useable on much of the steep or rocky path. Mud is a major barrier.
You may want to keep that in mind when planning.

I have seen them in use on the Camino a few times, but now a few years on I am more interested. Has anyone used one and can offer recommendations. They come with either one or two rear wheels, big wheels versus small. To me the two wheeler would seem more stable. They also come with a waist belt or a pair of handles. Any firm help would be much appreciated.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I only know of one pilgrim friend who used this kind of buggy.He said it was rather unpractical and more importantly : it did not relieve his backpain. So he sent it back home and it cost him dearly.
He continued on the Frances using the regular backpack transfer from Jacotrans and the likes.

I would think that they would only be viable over a given weight say 20 or 30 percent of your body weight. If you have a look at the buggys available most us a waist belt and a few use over the shoulder straps. My guess would be that it adds stability while toeing. Which would mean that you are still using your back. Also if you are taking 6kg- 8kg of equipment why would you want to us a buggy that would weigh as much. The big concern would be that you could expend more energy dragging a buggy than the benefits gained using one.

Last edited:
I'd think they were more of a hinderance than a help on the rocky climbs of the CF. I did see a couple of guys using them but that was on the flat.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I would strongly suggest you try before you buy/rent if it really helps with your back pain or increases it. Buen Camino, SY

You didn't say whether you have used a walking buggy/trolley hiking before. There was a discussion on this forum some years ago that may give you an overview Towed Cart vs Backpack

The Carrix trolley was available in Australia a few years ago and was used on the Camino by an Australian who posted some very interesting feedback on the company's website. Once again, it is dated but still worth a read.

Good luck with your research and let us know how you go as it is an option worth considering.

On my bucket list is a walk across America. This will take much more gear and supplies than was needed for my Camino, so I'm looking at different options for carts. One of those options was a golf cart. Not a riding one, but the ones you push or pull. They are made to handle heavy golf club bags, so securing a backpack to one shouldn't be all that difficult. And they aren't that wide, which might make it easier to maneuver it through those narrow sections.

Just a thought, especially if you're a golfer or have golfer friends that would let you try it out!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
So I have heard common wisdom is to bring a silk liner for your Camino (+/- a sleeping bag depending on your preference and season). Specifically regarding silk liners, all of the ones I've...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.