• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Slovenian OliWalker walked across USA

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Good day my friend. This could be your next trek.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Not really Camino related but maybe interesting. Just found this blog (http://olithewalker.com/arhivi/33) of a Slovenian guy that recently walked across USA from Astoria (Oregon) to Yorktown (Virginia). 175 days and 6840kms. The blog is also translated in English.
Enjoy!

With all the craziness in the news lately, it was refreshing to read a few pages of this blog. There really are "random acts of kindness" and so many folks reached out to help this walker as he passed through. It made my day a little brighter to read about the good in the world so thanks for sharing this story!

With all the craziness in the news lately, it was refreshing to read a few pages of this blog. There really are "random acts of kindness" and so many folks reached out to help this walker as he passed through. It made my day a little brighter to read about the good in the world so thanks for sharing this story!
Couldn't agree more!!!
Have a nice and brighter day :)

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
The blog was really interesting, but what happened to him? It just stops in Kansas.

This must have been a great adventure and I take my hat off to him for doing it, but there is NO WAY I would walk on most of those roads. American traffic is not generally educated to courtesy to cyclists and pedestrians. There are places which are exceptions, of course, but especially in the National Parks in the summer, ai-yai-yai.

ETA The translation is only for the first posts, but google translate will kind of give you an idea beyond that.

The blog was really interesting, but what happened to him? It just stops in Kansas.

This must have been a great adventure and I take my hat off to him for doing it, but there is NO WAY I would walk on most of those roads. American traffic is not generally educated to courtesy to cyclists and pedestrians. There are places which are exceptions, of course, but especially in the National Parks in the summer, ai-yai-yai.

ETA The translation is only for the first posts, but google translate will kind of give you an idea beyond that.
Hi, pudgypilgrim,

Few days ago he returned safe and sound to his home. I don't know why he stopped writing the blog in Kansas and why at some point there were no translation anymore. But, yes G-translate can give you an overall idea what happened. Actually nobody saw definite evidence that he really did the whole way, but I kind of believe him. Maybe I'll try to contact him but he's kind of a star right now so thought of giving him a bit more time before I begin to ask question :D

The route he walked is actually a cyclist route, something like RAAM (Race Across America). A bit off-topic: RAAM was won by another Slovenian Jure Robič 5 times in 2004, 2005, 2007, 2008 and 2010. Sadly he was hit and killed by a car while training year after his last win. Another Slovenian RAAM cyclist with standings between 3rd and 6th place in year-span 2006-2016 and winning in 2014 is Marko Baloh.

Well, I saw every TV coverage of Oli after his return and again he emphasized the generosity and enormous kindness of people on that route. Usually they've just asked him if he's OK or offering him a ride, also giving him food and drinks and some even money (like 20USD or so and once even more). Surprisingly for me he had a lot of problems (with/within his head ;)?) in Kansas. Straight roads, no hills etc. Ahhh, I guess I would walk to the East and back to the West there :D I like Meseta! Also no road shoulders in National Parks to walk on and few occassions with police after annonimous reports that someone is walking "in the middle of the road" but of course he wasn't that stupid otherwise he wouldn't be back home now.

Will keep you posted if he'll write some more about that.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Thanks, KinkyOne. I also thought of what people say about the meseta, but of course there's a whole lot more of it in the Midwest, and a lot less variation. It's mostly miles and miles and miles of monoculture out there.
ETA and mostly very toxic, with all the pesticides and herbicides they use.

But he sure did see an awful lot of snakes in the west. Kind of surprising how many.

Last edited:
Thanks, KinkyOne. I also thought of what people say about the meseta, but of course there's a whole lot more of it in the Midwest, and a lot less variation. It's mostly miles and miles and miles of monoculture out there.
YESSSSSSSSS :D
I even had some ideas of walking across Australian desert. But of course that can't be done without some support. But well known "same same but different" phrase (although funny) has its meaning in that light for me. It's kind of meditation as I see it. I can walk and climb forests, hills, mountains, really very steep Alps etc. here in Slovenia but to walk a month on a flat neverchanging landscape I guess everybody would gone crazy - I wouldn't. Actually maybe I would but in positive way, going deeper and deeper :)

YESSSSSSSSS :D
I even had some ideas of walking across Australian desert. But of course that can't be done without some support. ...

Just ask an Aborigine for advice - it has be done without. BC SY

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Look up Rüdiger Nehberg then - also known as SirVival ;-) SY
No, no, no, that's waaay too much for me. I want to have a beer and a shower at least on every 20-30kms. I've done my stint sleeping all wet and cold in vertical walls of the Alps (in winter also) in my youth. But no more, thanks ;)

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Not really Camino related but maybe interesting. Just found this blog (http://olithewalker.com/arhivi/33) of a Slovenian guy that recently walked across USA from Astoria (Oregon) to Yorktown (Virginia). 175 days and 6840kms. The blog is also translated in English.
Enjoy!
Hi KinkyOne :)

something similar ;)

Nikola Horvat, Croat guy, walked Pacific Crest Trail, from Mexico to Canada and in 162 days he walked almost 4200 km.

https://nikolahorvat.com/author/321hodaj/

https://www.facebook.com/nikolahorvat1pct/

http://www.24sata.hr/news/pjesacio-162-dana-strah-od-smrti-nije-mi-dopustao-stati-497882

Bota :)

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back