• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Resource icon

GPS Tracks - Camino Francés + Extension to Fisterra 2015-02-03

No permission to download
### WHAT ARE THESE FILES? ###
The included files are GPS tracks for the Camino de Santiago (specifically, the Camino Francés plus the extension to Fisterra). They are in KML format, meaning they can be used in Google Earth and easily converted to other formats (such as .gpx) for use on your mobile device.

The GPS tracks cover four categories, each organized into its own sub-directory:

1. Route Sections
The Route Section files each cover one small route section, typically from one town to the next. These cover very short distances, usually between 2 km and 10 km, though some can exceed that. Collectively, these cover the main 'official' route plus many alternatives / detours. By keeping each Route Section small, you can assemble them as needed for your personal needs (based on your starting location and preferred path).

In addition to showing the path itself these KML files also include details on the communities, accommodation (mainly albergues, but also some other types), services (restaurants, markets, etc.), attractions, and general points of interest (waymarks, water fountains, bridges, and so on). For most items, descriptions are included directly in the KML file, along with links to the related pages on my Trekopedia website where you can get more information, contact details, view photos, and so on.

Each Route Section file connects seamlessly to any other Route Section file that shares an endpoint. For example, there are two different Route Sections that go to Roncesvalles (one from Orisson and one from Valcarlos). Both of these will smoothly connect to the Route Section that goes from Roncesvalles to Burguete.

All files are sorted roughly in 'route order', starting from Saint Jean.

2. Other Sections
The Other Section files each cover one path that is not part of the route itself, such as a small detour. One notable characteristic of an 'Other Section' is that it does *not* seamlessly link with Route Sections — that is, you cannot *replace* a Route Section with an 'Other' section. Currently, there is only one 'Other' section for the Camino, a detour coming out of A Gueima.

3. Communities
Each community (hamlet, village, town, and city) has its own GPS file containing all the accommodations, services, attractions, and general points of interest in that community.

All files are sorted roughly in 'route order', starting from Saint Jean.

4. Overall Route
The Overall Route files consist of pre-defined routes that 'pre-assemble' Route Sections for you in order to match popular routes. There are pre-defined routes roughly matching Brierley, Eroski, and Mundicamino. There might be very minor differences in paths through some of the larger cities, but generally they follow the source quite closely. For breakdowns of those routes by stage, please visit my Trekopedia website.

Also included is a single KML file that includes *all* of the available Route Sections plus all of the communities. Note, though, that this file does *not* include any of the accommodation items, attractions, services, or general points of interest. Its purpose is to give a good 'high level' overview of the route without resulting in a massive KML file.

### HOW DO I USE THEM? ###
On your computer you can open them in Google Earth or any other program that can display KML files. You can also use many different tools to convert the format if needed. An excellent free tool to both display and convert GPS tracks is RouteConverter (http://www.routeconverter.de/). RouteConverter has versions for both Windows and Mac.

On your mobile device, you can use these files (as-is or with the format converted) in many different apps.

### HOW WERE THEY CREATED? ###
All of the Camino KML files are drawn from first-hand experience walking on the Camino. The GPS tracks were captured using high-quality GPS receivers. Due to the inherent error margin involved in GPS technology, I base the KML files on *multiple* GPS tracks — I then smooth the KML file to eliminate 'wandering' and to average the tracks. Lastly, I tweak the tracks regularly based on feedback from other Camino walkers. This results in very high-quality, reliable tracks that are suitable for helping you on your own Camino. If you spot any errors or have any suggestions on how I can improve the quality and/or usefulness of these tracks, please let me know (eugene@trekopedia.com; I'm 'stratophile' on Ivar's Camino forums).

### WHO ARE YOU AND WHY ARE YOU DOING THIS? ###
These KML files are part of Trekopedia (www.trekopedia.com). Trekopedia is a community-driven collection of in-depth information and resources on some of my favorite long-distance hiking and bicycling trails. The website is free. There is no advertising or nonsense. I've always received incredible help in planning my own treks - Trekopedia is my way of giving back to the community for all of that help. There is also a mobile app for the Camino which does have a price attached - proceeds help to pay for the website, researching new content, and so on.

All of the information is available free, on the website. There is no need to purchase the app unless you want the mobile-only functionality. Or the convenience of having the content available off-line. Or if you want the offline maps. Or if you just want to support the project (thank you!) — but you are perfectly welcome to just use the content in whatever way best suits your own Camino.

### DREADED LEGAL STUFF ###
These files are made available under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License. Please visit my website for details on this license. In general, though, it means you can use them for your personal, non-commercial usage. If you distribute these files to anyone else, please keep this 'read me' file included with them. You can modify the KML files as you wish, but only for your own personal use.

These files are provided free-of-charge. Use of the files is at your own risk.

Buen Camino!
Author
stratophile
Downloads
Views
First release
Last update
Rating
5.00 star(s) 2 ratings

More resources from stratophile

Latest reviews

Much appreciation for this resource! I will be doing my first Camino in May 2018. Quite excited to start a fresh chapter in life.
Jared
I used the info of these files to plan my camino...all the distances,name of villages,water fountains,etc were accurate.
Thanks for sharing this...
stratophile
stratophile
Thanks for the feedback. If you spotted any errors or things that should have been included, please let me know (I'm the author).

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.
This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back