• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

1 week on the Norte

JohnMcK

Time of past OR future Camino
CF14,15,21 CP17,Rome18,19 Le Pluy 22
Hi I potentially have a week free in early June. Thinking of Santander to Oviedo. Given flight times etc 6 days walking. Gronze gives 9 stages so would need to skip a few. Which ones would anyone recommend?
it’s possible I could get 1 other day in so 7 days walking.
how is accommodation in early June.
I have done Frances couple times and Portuguese.
Thanks John

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi, we’re doing Irun/San Sebastian to Bilbao, can cover in a week. We have a mix of pre-booked accommodation and a few nights to wing it eg Deba. We are flying into Biarritz to make our way over to Irun to start and out of Bilbao. The route is quite hilly but with great views by all accounts!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I agree with kathrina as Irun to Bilbao ( roughly 6 days so you could go farther if you wanted) is hilly but beautiful. But if you have your heart set on starting at Santander, our most unpleasant single day of hiking the Norte was the first 18 miles or so after Santander.

Hi I potentially have a week free in early June. Thinking of Santander to Oviedo. Given flight times etc 6 days walking. Gronze gives 9 stages so would need to skip a few. Which ones would anyone recommend?
it’s possible I could get 1 other day in so 7 days walking.
how is accommodation in early June.
I have done Frances couple times and Portuguese.
Thanks John
You won’t miss too much taking a bus to Santanilla del Mar and starting there. From there to Llanes is quite scenic so wouldn’t skip Comillas/Colombres. Haven’t gone past Llanes so can’t advise beyond.

Thanks might look at Irun to Bilbao. Was looking at Santander as that seemed easiest to get flight to and from.
what’s accommodation like from irun? Many albergues?
thanks

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
The Norte has adequate or better accomondations for the entire route...starting in Irun.

Irun is the traditional start of the Norte and has a well organized albergue.
San Sabastian is 27km and is normally the first stage stop. It is possible to stop earlier...but your time restraint probably means you would walk to San Sabastian. It is a beautiful walk.

However...I would suggest you consider starting in San Sabastian to allow for another day of walking.
San Sabastian is a fantastic place to visit and as a result is often busy so reservation is important.

Thanks for all the advice and info. Looks like I’ll go from Irun and might bus thro Bilbao as been there before and looks like a lot of city/town walking.

Most read last week in this forum

Elevation map shows this is really steep! What’s the best way from downtown Hondarribia up there? Then wish me luck on the Purgatorio—I am a nervous wreck.
My group of six arrives in Irun on May 20 and we're starting our Camino on May 21. Since it's the beginning of the busy season, I'm wondering if we should order trekking poles from Amazon Espana...
On the Norte...started Morgo headed to Santilanna del mer...today...wonderful walk.... 1st 7k and last 7k ...the middle industrail zone was meh. Just past polonca met loverly local spanish...
If anyone is in an albergues in or near Santillana del mar on the 1st of May and comes across Nadia from Ottawa would they kindly point her in the direction of this thread. Thanks all.....

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back