• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

100 km route with staying in B&Bs

Bugs Bunny

Time of past OR future Camino
August (2016)
Hello everyone.
I'm looking for some advice or personal experience from people who walked the 100 km route to Santiago de Compostela while staying in B&Bs along the way.
Is it possible, how far in advance is it necessary to book them considering we're planning to do it in early August, and how much does it approximately cost for a day? If we are forgetting something, please feel free to mention it.
Any link or a reference to this would be extremely helpful.
Thank you in advance from two El Camino first timers. :)

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I won't be able to help you but if you want to get accurate answers, you'll likely have to specify which route are you talking about.

Last edited by a moderator:
EH! whats up Doc. What you should do, or to put it another way what we have done several times in the recent past, is this, work out where you want to stop, for us it was an average of 12miles / 20km then go to booking .com who will throw up hotels casa rurals etc and you simply book them. One point to be careful on the site will throw up hotels in a quite wide radius so check that the accommodation is actually on the route or better still in the destination. Keep taking the carrots !

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hello everyone.
I'm looking for some advice or personal experience from people who walked the 100 km route to Santiago de Compostela while staying in B&Bs along the way.
Is it possible, how far in advance is it necessary to book them considering we're planning to do it in early August, and how much does it approximately cost for a day? If we are forgetting something, please feel free to mention it.
Hi Bugs, can't help you there I never book ahead.
Wish you a wonderful journey and a Buen Camino, Peter.

Hello everyone.

Since the Camino Frances from Sarria onward is a popular choice for the last 100 km to Santiago check out the Spanish Gronze on-line guide to give you an idea of accommodation possibilities. Here is that link.

Listed by location both pilgrim albergues and regular tourist spots are listed. Tap each citation to see further info including prices. Booking.com links are also provided.

Check out this earlier Forum link to read various posts re walking from Sarria.
See this re getting to Sarria

August is a busy time on the caminos and reserved rooms would provide peace of mind. Thus try to book soon.

Good luck with your planning and Buen camino to both of you!

Last edited:
Since the Camino Frances from Sarria onward is a popular choice for the last 100 km to Santiago check out the Spanish Gronze on-line guide to give you an idea of accommodation possibilities. Here is that link.

Listed by location both pilgrim albergues and regular tourist spots are listed. Tap each citation to see further info including prices. Booking.com links are also provided.

Check out this earlier Forum link to read various posts re walking from Sarria.
See this re getting to Sarria

August is a busy time on the caminos and reserved rooms would provide peace of mind. Thus try to book soon.

Good luck with your planning and Buen camino to both of you!

Thank you very much for your reply and your nice wishes! :)

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
EH! whats up Doc. What you should do, or to put it another way what we have done several times in the recent past, is this, work out where you want to stop, for us it was an average of 12miles / 20km then go to booking .com who will throw up hotels casa rurals etc and you simply book them. One point to be careful on the site will throw up hotels in a quite wide radius so check that the accommodation is actually on the route or better still in the destination. Keep taking the carrots !

No worries, a healthy supply of carrots will be there. ;)
Thanks for the advice!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Swimming against the stream again here ;-) Just one thought - if you book all your pilgrimage ahead you will curtail your spontaneity in a big way. Yes it is frightening to just wing it, but it is also liberating ... Buen Camino however you walk, SY

Swimming against the stream again here ;-) Just one thought - if you book all your pilgrimage ahead you will curtail your spontaneity in a big way. Yes it is frightening to just wing it, but it is also liberating ... Buen Camino however you walk, SY

Personally during more than 450 nights on the camino only a few when arriving in Santiago have ever been booked! I, too, enjoy the liberty òf spontaneity.

We are walking from Astorga to SdeC beginning September 2. This is my third time on the Camino, and I am tired of staying in albergues every night. We therefore have mixed up small hotels, bed and breakfasts and just a smattering of albergues. I found that trying to stay in the pre-determined towns laid out in the Brierly book, such as Sarria and Arzua, the majority of the hotels were booked already for this September. However, we are staying in small towns along the way that are off the Brierly route, such as Fonfria and Lestedo, and had no problems making reservations. My recommendation is unless you have a dying need to stay in one of the big towns along the way suggested by Brierly, you will have a much easier time in the less visited villages. Steve

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
In August, to book two nights ahead on the last 100km might be a good idea. Another option, which I always found most effective, was for my landlord to call ahead for me--- innkeepers have a mafia of sorts where they pass pilgrims on to their contacts in the next place. I should note that, if you make a reservation, keep it or cancel it--- to not turn up for a booking means that: a) another pilgrim needing the accommodation is denied, and b) it puts an unnecessary penalty on a small business operating on narrow margins.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
We are walking from Astorga to SdeC beginning September 2. This is my third time on the Camino, and I am tired of staying in albergues every night. We therefore have mixed up small hotels, bed and breakfasts and just a smattering of albergues. I found that trying to stay in the pre-determined towns laid out in the Brierly book, such as Sarria and Arzua, the majority of the hotels were booked already for this September. However, we are staying in small towns along the way that are off the Brierly route, such as Fonfria and Lestedo, and had no problems making reservations. My recommendation is unless you have a dying need to stay in one of the big towns along the way suggested by Brierly, you will have a much easier time in the less visited villages. Steve
Thanks, Steve! This is exactly the type of info we were looking for. Buen Camino! :)

In August, to book two nights ahead on the last 100km might be a good idea. Another option, which I always found most effective, was for my landlord to call ahead for me--- innkeepers have a mafia of sorts where they pass pilgrims on to their contacts in the next place. I should note that, if you make a reservation, keep it or cancel it--- to not turn up for a booking means that: a) another pilgrim needing the accommodation is denied, and b) it puts an unnecessary penalty on a small business operating on narrow margins.
Thank you! Of course, we wouldn't dream of just not showing up for a booking. Like you said, someone might be denied accommodation and we take money out of pockets of small businesses.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi Forum! Just to reassure those starting now and the next week, but I was in Roncesvalles last night and, though full and busy, I talked to the hospitalero who told me, there were still 27 empty...
One death attributed to a heart attack last week. Two pelegrinos gored, one seriously. One broken leg and many ending in Pamplona due to knee and leg and ankle injuries. Is it possible to confirm...
Hi everyone -- After walking the Frances from SJpdP last October, I'm planning to revisit the bit between Logrono and Burgos this July, following different stages. It's the section where I had...
Is there a list of albergues that also have private rooms on the Camino Frances? Gracias.
I started out from Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port on 1 May. It turned out to be an unforgetable day. Above 1,000 m or so it snowed, catching many people unprepared. Later that day "many" walkers were...
I'm flying from the USA to start my Camino this week. I will check my backpack, and to protect it, I will ship it in a plastic storage bin like this one: Rather than shipping the storage bin to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back