• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

1st timer..Camino de Madrid mid June 2916

Suzyjan

Time of past OR future Camino
Planning on walking mid June 2016!
I plan on starting my walk in Madrid mid June 2016. I'm nervous and love any advise about any and everything. This is my first time doing something like this.. Anyone else starting there? Tips? Can't I just walk in tennis shoes? Is the Madrid walk really only 2 weeks long?

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I plan on starting my walk in Madrid mid June 2016. I'm nervous and love any advise about any and everything. This is my first time doing something like this.. Anyone else starting there? Tips? Can't I just walk in tennis shoes? Is the Madrid walk really only 2 weeks long?

Suzyjan:

What type of advice? I walked this route in April of this year. The first 40 km's are pretty flat, then you get into the mountains and the tough day is Cercedilla to Segovia. It is roughly an 8 km climb to Puento Fuenfria. after that about 23 km's of rolling downhill mostly through the woods until you get near Segovia, The next couple of days are mostly through the pine forests and then into farmland and the Meseta all the way to Sahagun. This walk can be done easily in my opinion in two weeks.

I made several posts about some sections and accommodations I utilized along the route. Several other folks, Peregrina2000, Kinkyone and others have also posted their experience in more detail.

You can walk in any type of shoe that you are comfortable. I walk in Merrells with vibram soles but everyone is different. As always pay attention to your feet along the way and address any issues asap. I imagine this walk can get quite hot this time of year and there is not much shade after the pine forests.

Hope this helps. If you have more specific questions, please feel free to ask or PM me.

Ultreya,
Joe

Last edited:

Another 2 week option would be Port to Santiago - on the Camino Portuguese
it is not a difficult walk and for a 1st timer you would meet a few more pilgrims along the way .
I also like Merrells the Moab is my preference

walkmag

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!

Hi Suzyjan,

I'm off from Madrid June 25! I assume you saying "mid-June" means that you'll be ahead of me with a few days, right?

Is it your 1st Camino? Why not start with Camino Francés?

I think you (we) will meet very few people on the Madrid...

Shoes: I always use tennis shoes and I never have blisters. They get soaked in rain though, but I never care, ha ha.

So you're finishing in Sahagún after 2 weeks? Or will you join the Camino Francés and go to Santiago?

Bye bye

/Bad Pilgrim

Be sure to print out the most current Johnny Walker edition of the CdeM guide. Then read ALL the detailed threads on the CdeM and take notes in the margins of your printed guide. I could never have walked it without the research I did ahead of time. It is isolated and wonderful!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Another 2 week option would be Port to Santiago - on the Camino Portuguese
it is not a difficult walk and for a 1st timer you would meet a few more pilgrims along the way .
I also like Merrells the Moab is my preference

walkmag
Thank you!

Hi Suzyjan,

I'm off from Madrid June 25! I assume you saying "mid-June" means that you'll be ahead of me with a few days, right?

Shoes: I always use tennis shoes and I never have blisters. They get soaked in rain though, but I never care, ha ha.

So you're finishing in Sahagún after 2 weeks? Or will you join the Camino Francés and go to Santiago?

Bye bye

/Bad Pilgrim
Hi Suzyjan,

Bye bye

/Bad Pilgrim[/QUOTEe

I will land in Madrid June 21 and will head up toward the Camino Frances to go to Santiago. I think this will take two weeks. Am I wrong? Lol I havnt done much research. But I have my ticket.

Oh cool. You will be just a few days ahead of me. Please clean up the albergues before you leave!! :OP

Most guides say about 2 weeks but it depends on how far you go every day. There seems to be many ways to divide the stages as you like, luckily.

I have done very little research myself, busy with work. Usually I prepare myself much more than this. I don't know if it will be a problem for me, I guess I'll find out soon...

I bought the guide from the Asociación de Madrid though, with the credential, and I plan to print and use the guide that's available on this Forum. But I will then turn to the Salvador and the Primitivo, instead of following the Francés.

Perhaps we'll run into each other! :OD

/BP

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I am home for three days now after my trip to Spain where i walked Camino Madrid, Camino Frances (Leon - SDC) and Camino Ingles.
The Camino Madrid was the most wonderful experience: very few pelgrims, a bit of solitude, endless meseta (campos), a lot of flechas, nice albergues...
When i was on the Frances i often wondered: why are all those people here?? There is such a nice alternative: Camino Madrid.
Enjoy your Camino and say a "hello from Willem of Holland" to the very kind hospitalera Rocio in Puente Douro, who makes nice tortilla for you!

I am home for three days now after my trip to Spain where i walked Camino Madrid, Camino Frances (Leon - SDC) and Camino Ingles.
The Camino Madrid was the most wonderful experience: very few pelgrims, a bit of solitude, endless meseta (campos), a lot of flechas, nice albergues...
When i was on the Frances i often wondered: why are all those people here?? There is such a nice alternative: Camino Madrid.
Enjoy your Camino and say a "hello from Willem of Holland" to the very kind hospitalera Rocio in Puente Douro, who makes nice tortilla for you!

Okay, I'll keep that in mind. I'm leaving in about a week for the Madrid. I will only stay for a few days on the CF, I'm afraid I won't like the crowds there.

How many days did you take to do Madrid - León? I'm a bit short of time. Normal pace seems to be 14 stages?

/BP

Hello BP,
Because there are no albergues in Tres Cantos and Colmenar (there is a possibility inTres Cantos, but you can enter only at 22.00 hrs) I took the bus to Manzanares
Day 1: Manzanares - Cercedilla (youth hostel)
Day 2: Cercedilla - Segovia
Day 3: Segovia - Santa Maria de Nueva
Day 4: Santa - Coca
Day 5: Coca - Alcazaren
Day 6: Alcazaren - Puente Douro
Day 7: Puente Douro - Penaflor
Day 8: Penaflor - Medina
Day 9: Medina - Villalon
Day 10: Villalon - Sahagun

The landscape is wonderful, i enjoyed it very much. If there is a possibility to drink coffee in a bar, do not hesitate. Next bar can be closed.
My advice is when there is a shop: buy some extra's.

Enjoy the Camino Madrid, i hope you will be as enthousiast as I am!!
Buen Camino.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hello BP,
Because there are no albergues in Tres Cantos and Colmenar (there is a possibility inTres Cantos, but you can enter only at 22.00 hrs) I took the bus to Manzanares
Day 1: Manzanares - Cercedilla (youth hostel)
Day 2: Cercedilla - Segovia
Day 3: Segovia - Santa Maria de Nueva
Day 4: Santa - Coca
Day 5: Coca - Alcazaren
Day 6: Alcazaren - Puente Douro
Day 7: Puente Douro - Penaflor
Day 8: Penaflor - Medina
Day 9: Medina - Villalon
Day 10: Villalon - Sahagun

The landscape is wonderful, i enjoyed it very much. If there is a possibility to drink coffee in a bar, do not hesitate. Next bar can be closed.
My advice is when there is a shop: buy some extra's.

Enjoy the Camino Madrid, i hope you will be as enthousiast as I am!!
Buen Camino.

Wow, ten days. I think I'll aim for twelve. Thanks for the advice!

/BP

I only saw it now. I'm coming from Montreal, Canada on the 30th June and I'll start the camino de Madri on the 2nd July. I'll be walking a bit faster (40km a day). It is my first time and a bit scared to do it, but very motivated. Hope see somebody on my way to Santiago via Sahagun.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I only saw it now. I'm coming from Montreal, Canada on the 30th June and I'll start the camino de Madri on the 2nd July. I'll be walking a bit faster (40km a day). It is my first time and a bit scared to do it, but very motivated. Hope see somebody on my way to Santiago via Sahagun.

Salut,

Perhaps you will catch up with me because I don't think I will do 40 kms a day. It seems that there is a bubble (okay, a divided bubble) of us leaving that period: Suzujan (above) the 22 (?) of June, me the 25, another guy the 30 and you the 2 of July. We could start a band...

Hope to see you there

BP

Most read last week in this forum

Hi everybody, Which is the best way by foot : Uclès to Madrid or Madrid to Uclès (in july !)? And where find informations about accomodation ? Thank you

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.