• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

1st. walk on the Camino

Tony Wall

Time of past OR future Camino
(2017)
I am turning 70 on Aug 3rd. and gifting myself the walk from Ponferrada. Reading the threads is helping my become more informed as to what I can expect. I will be flying from Vancouver, Can to Madrid and making my way to Ponferrada to begin my walk. Not sure the best way to travel there from Madrid. Also should I prebook a flight from Santiago back to Madrid for my flight home? Any help would be much appreciated
Cheers
Tony

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi and welcome to the forum @Tony Wall

... Also should I prebook a flight from Santiago back to Madrid for my flight home? Any help would be much appreciated
Cheers
Tony

As you have already, I assume, booked your flight back home from Madrid - why wouldn't you book your connection flight from Santiago to Madrid??? Buen Camino, SY

As you have already, I assume, booked your flight back home from Madrid - why wouldn't you book your connection flight from Santiago to Madrid??? Buen Camino, SY
Yep. Fast, frequent and easy. But why not take the train? Cheaper, a few hours longer, but enjoying the landscape on the way. I prefer trains in Spain: Fast, reliable, on time, with a restaurant wagon for a snack and a drink, while watching the landscape glide by. A different angle on your Camino reflections. We are so obsessed by speed these days... Just my preference...

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Yep. Fast, frequent and easy. But why not take the train? Cheaper, a few hours longer, but enjoying the landscape on the way. I prefer trains in Spain: Fast, reliable, on time, with a restaurant wagon for a snack and a drink, while watching the landscape glide by. Just my preference...

Yes, trains are great in Spain. But bus leaves immediately from terminal 4 and for train you have to take at least the Cercania and then find your way to Chamartin. Maybe a bit too tiring for jetlagged pilgrims...

Yes, trains are great in Spain. But bus leaves immediately from terminal 4 and for train you have to take at least the Cercania and then find your way to Chamartin. Maybe a bit too tiring for jetlagged pilgrims...
I must agree: Whatever can be arranged at the terminal is best. Madrid is a big city to navigate. And buses in Spain are great value.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Ha but then again could be just me...I got myself on the wrong Cercania train...it is a wonder I don't get lost more often when on the actual Camino.:)
If lost, breathe; there is always a solution. Handle with elegance what life throws at you: There is always a way out, Just relax. The fun part of going into unchartered areas and survive with excellence. ;)

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Happy, almost, birthday and welcome to the Forum! My husband and I are also newbies and close to the BIG 70 When are you planning to walk? We start on September 10 - an adventure I've wanted to take for almost 30 years!!! Burn Camino!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Happy, almost, birthday and welcome to the Forum! My husband and I are also newbies and close to the BIG 70 When are you planning to walk? We start on September 10 - an adventure I've wanted to take for almost 30 years!!! Burn Camino!
Thank You. I land in Madrid on the 15th of Sept and hopefully begin my walk from Ponferrada on the 16th. anyway that's the plan but who knows what the universe has to offer...:) I will be travelling alone so if I get lost it will be alone as well, but from what I have read I won't be alone very long. Cheers Tony

Thanks for that. No I have yet to book my flight from Santiago to Madrid, will get on that right away.. Cheers Tony

Or choose a train, or a bus or a ... the world is your oyster, especially on your birthday ;-) !Feliz Cumpleaños desde Santiago!, SY

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I am turning 70 on Aug 3rd. and gifting myself the walk from Ponferrada. Reading the threads is helping my become more informed as to what I can expect. I will be flying from Vancouver, Can to Madrid and making my way to Ponferrada to begin my walk. Not sure the best way to travel there from Madrid. Also should I prebook a flight from Santiago back to Madrid for my flight home? Any help would be much appreciated
Cheers
Tony
Thanks for the reminder.. booked my flight from Santiago to Madrid.:))

Most read last week in this forum

Good morning! My name is Samantha, and I am planning my first camino for May 2025. I am a bit overwhelmed trying to make a list of everything I need to have planned prior to starting. Does anyone...
Good evening all! We began our yearly route to Santiago, today! We 4 Peregrinos resumed our Camino at Rabanal del Camino and walked to Acebo. We encountered Snow, Hail Stones and rain. We loved...
Hi all, last year I done the camino portuguese with my two daughters last year but this year I'm doing the camino frances solo. I fly into Bizarrtz on 26th July and plan to start the following...
Hi I'm Keith 60 years young from Newcastle upon Tyne UK.arriving on the 1635 Edinburgh ryanair flight on 9th September 2024 anyone like to share my express bourricot
I loved my 2022 Camino Frances!! Leaving Los Angeles on May 26 for Lisbon. Will walk the Portuguese Costal route and the spiritual variant. Starts from Porto on June 4 and arrive in Santiago on...
Hello! I will start my first Camino at the beginning of June 2024 and plan to start my month-long journey from Bilbao walking roughly 2 weeks on Camino Del Norte and then switching to Camino Del...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.