• ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.
  • 20% off everything Altus the next few days at the Camino Forum Store. More here. (Discount taken at check out)
  • Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

20 days walk from Palencia?

joshma

Dear all,

I am planning my first camino in August (tell me about the heat but it will be the only time I have off work to do this). I have roughly 20-22 days to walk, so I have planned to start from Palencia, which seems to be a reasonably big town and have good traffic network. I have never been to this part of Spain, so I am a little unsure of my decisions, especially I am planning to do this all alone. (if anyone happens to be at the same place/stage around the same time, do let me know!) Is this a feasible idea in terms of the duration and starting point? I would be extremely grateful for any advice or comments.

By the way, I am 28 and reasonably fit. I won't have time to do any proper walking training prior to the camino, so understandably, I will have to take it easy on the first few days, say 20km per day?

Thank you,

Josh

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
The route from Fromista to Santiago is about 424 km, a reasonable distance for 20-22 days. There is no official camino from Palencia, but you could walk to Fromista (about 35 km), Carrion de los Condes (39 km, with 406 km to go to Santiago), or Sahagun (70 km, with 367 km to go to Santiago). It would be easier to take the train from Palencia to Fromista and start there!

It sounds like fun. Have a good time.

Just stay on the train from Madrid and get off in Sahagun or Villada. Both are well-equipped with pilgrim hostales. Let me know when you arrive and we will have a drink and get the first stamps on your credential.

Reb
(in rural Palencia province)

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Thanks falcon269 and Reb, I really appreciate your advices. I wasn't aware that Palencia was not on the camino! I am glad that I asked! Now I probably will start from Carrion de los Condes, if there is a direct train from Palencia to it.

Please could I also ask whether I could obtain a pilgrim passport somewhere in London prior to my departure? If so, how and where could I get it and is it going to be the same as the ones you'd get on the camino? If not, where can I get one in Carrion de los condes?

Thank you in advance for your reply.

Josh

Mundicamino says you may obtain a credencial at these locations:
SAINT JEAN PIED DE PORT
Oficina del peregrino
RONCESVALLES
Oficina del peregrino.
CANFRANC
Oficina de turismo de Canfranc Estación
(Torre de Fusileros, situada entre Canfranc Estación y Canfranc Pueblo).
JACA
Iglesia de Santiago.
LARRASOAÑA
Albergue Municipal de Peregrinos (D. Santiago Zubiri).
PAMPLONA
Albergue de peregrinos.
La Universidad de Navarra también las distribuye.
En el punto de información que tiene en el Edificio Central del campus universitario.
PUENTE LA REINA
Albergue de peregrinos.
ESTELLA
Albergue de peregrinos.
LOGROÑO
Albergue Municipal de peregrinos.
SANTO DOMINGO DE LA CALZADA
Albergue de peregrinos de la Cofradía del Santo.
BURGOS
Albergue de peregrinos (Asociación de amigos del Camino de Burgos).
CARRIÓN DE LOS CONDES
Oficina del peregrino (Monasterio de San Zoilo).
LEÓN
Albergue de peregrinos.
ASTORGA
Albergue de peregrinos.
RABANAL DEL CAMINO
Albergue Nuestra Señora del Pilar.
MOLINASECA
Albergue de peregrinos (Alfredo).
PONFERRADA
Albergue de peregrinos.
VILLAFRANCA DEL BIERZO
Albergue de peregrinos AVE FÉNIX (Jato).
O CEBREIRO
Albergue de peregrinos y Santuario.
SAMOS
Albergue del Monasterio.
SARRIA
Albergue de peregrinos.
PORTOMARÍN
Albergue de peregrinos.
You will pass Monasterio de San Zoilo as you leave the city on the Camino. http://maps.google.com/maps?q=Monasteri ... 2&t=h&z=16

Thank you falcon! This is great advice, really appreciate it!

Now I am going to search your bedbug advice on the forum (I was recommended to do so in the relevant thread), that is a new problem I wasn't aware of and keen to have a good knowledge of before I set my foot on the camino in August... :D

€60,-
At the top of the page, just under the map, is a link to the CSJ Website. More at the CSJ website. They are based in London and they issue credentials recognised by the Cathedral. However, you have to join and the credential has to be posted to you.

If you are interested contact them on Monday. They guarantee to man the office on a Thursday but they are often open during the week and are prompt in answering email.

They produce an annual guide and it is worth its weight in gold. Simply tear out the pages of the places you will not walk.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Thank you guys! Really appreciate all your advices and comments, you've given me a few good options which I will definitely have a good think about! Thanks again for already making my first camino easier to start with!

Hello all,

Sorry to bother again as I seem to be facing a new problem regarding the starting point of my first camino, and I thought I'd borrow some of your brain, if you don't mind. :)

I have decided to start my camino from Fromista (I booked a hotel for the first night), but it seems there isn't any easy way to get there. I decide to take the train and follow the Chamartin - Palencia - Fromista route, but there's a time issue attached to this. I will be landing in Barajas airport Madrid at 13.20 on Tuesday, and then travelling to Chamartin train station by Metro. I presume this process will take more than an hour or two, so practically the next (fast) train I can catch from Chamartin to Palencia is the 18.05 service which will get me to Palencia at 19.54. And then, there is the problem. By the time I arrive in Palencia, I will have already missed both the last train and the last bus to Fromista (both leave at 19.00).

So, does anyone by any chance have any good suggestion regarding the journey from Madrid to Fromista please? If I must take a taxi from Palencia, how much will it cost to Fromista? Is there a Taxi rank outside the train station anyway or do I have to book in advance?

Many thanks in advance for any suggestion/comment/reply!

Josh

PS: where could I possibly get a credencial in Fromista? Thanks!

Parada de Taxis means a taxi station:
Estación de Renfe (PALENCIA)
Dirección

PLAZA LOS JARDINILLOS s/n, PLANTA BAJA
34001 - PALENCIA (PALENCIA)
Teléfonos

902-240202 (Información y reserva de billetes)
902-243402 (Información internacional)
902-109420 (Información de venta por internet)
902-432343 (Información de estaciones)

Dirección en internet

http://www.renfe.es

Horario

TAQUILLA DE LA ESTACIÓN:

Venta anticipada: de 09:00 h. a 21:00 h.

Venta inmediata: de 06:00 h. a 23:00 h.

VENTA POR TELÉFONO: de 06:00 h. a 23:00 h.

ESTACIÓN: 24 horas.
Más información

PARADA DE TAXIS.

PRESTACIONES: cafetería, restaurante, oficina de correos, librería, alquiler de coches, teléfonos y carros portaequipajes.
Vigente hasta

31/12/2011
Información relacionada
Tarjeta Inter Rail de Renfe
It is about 32 km from Palencia to Fromista, and taxis are typically 1 Euro per KM.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Why don't you sleep in Palencia, move (bus or train) to Fromista the next day and start walking.

Have a good one,
Jean-Marc

Josh, depending on how quickly you can get through the airport and into the metro, you might just make it onto one of the earlier trains to Palencia, and from there onward to Fromista.
Keep it loose. Don´t plan too hard in advance. Once you step out your door, you are on The Way, you know. Santiago will be watching out for you!

Reb

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Most read last week in this forum

Round the corner and up the hill from the Pilgrims Office in Santiago, about 50m away, is the Faculty of Medicine's huge cafeteria that must be able to seat between 200 and 300 people. They have a...
In 2018, I completed my first Camino de Santiago. Those 34 days were magical, filled with stunning landscapes and connections with fellow pilgrims from around the world. What was meant to be a...
Well sorry for the long absence! I dropped offline and into Camino life and can't wait to go back (but unfortunately it won't be soon)! I won't say the Camino was an easy experience for me, or...
Hi all. I will be walking the Camino Frances in September ( I started in Le Puy in 2022 and will “finish” this year!) and hope to stay at the ALBERGUE Peregrinos Ribadiso around September 21. I’m...
If you take the route to Ventosa after Navarette there is a brand new bar/cafe I highly recommend. They've been open 4 days as of today June 12 . A local bee keeper started it and it is great...
Anyone know if Albergue de San Roque, in Villambistia is open? Wise Pilgrim stars it may be closed.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back