• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

200 unpaved miles

watlaw

Time of past OR future Camino
June 2023
Friends

This is my first post. I am looking for 200 miles of unpaved camino to walk in November.

I haven't walked in Spain or Portugal, however, Spain and Portugal seem to be best suited, given the time of year.

I'm sure that I can find some help here! I have enjoyed the forum!

Cordially

Herman (Chuck) Watson

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Most caminos are a combination of several different types of surfaces, including unpaved, paved, gravel, cobblestones etc. It would be hard to find a path of 200 miles / 320km (consecutive) that is entirely unpaved or even where the vast majority is unpaved.

The most popular caminos, such as the Francés and Portugués, have the most facilities and are recommended for first-time pilgrims, but with this often comes more paved walking. The more remote caminos have more unpaved roads but also have less facilities (by which I mean: fewer accommodation options, fewer eating options, fewer way-marking signs etc).

Off the top of my head, the camino with the least paving that I can remember (except for one day in particular) was the Caminho Nascente in eastern Portugal. This is also my favourite camino for what it's worth, but it's quite remote in parts and the practical aspects can be difficult, especially if you don't speak Portuguese, so I wouldn't recommend it as your first walk.

Two caminos in Spain that fit your bill in terms of length and, at least in my recollection, don't have much paving comparatively, are the Camino de Madrid and the Camino Primitivo. A lot of the Madrid takes place in sandy pine forests and then on dirt roads on the Meseta, while the Primitivo goes through plenty of forests in Asturias and Galicia.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Two caminos in Spain that fit your bill in terms of length and, at least in my recollection, don't have much paving comparatively, are the Camino de Madrid and the Camino Primitivo.

I had heard that about the Primitivo too, and was looking forward to less pavement when I joined it off of the Norte. But I was surprised that there was still quite a bit of road walking, and the trails themselves were often so rocky, that I would have preferred pavement!

Most caminos are a combination of several different types of surfaces, including unpaved, paved, gravel, cobblestones etc. It would be hard to find a path of 200 miles / 320km (consecutive) that is entirely unpaved or even where the vast majority is unpaved.

The most popular caminos, such as the Francés and Portugués, have the most facilities and are recommended for first-time pilgrims, but with this often comes more paved walking. The more remote caminos have more unpaved roads but also have less facilities (by which I mean: fewer accommodation options, fewer eating options, fewer way-marking signs etc).

Off the top of my head, the camino with the least paving that I can remember (except for one day in particular) was the Caminho Nascente in eastern Portugal. This is also my favourite camino for what it's worth, but it's quite remote in parts and the practical aspects can be difficult, especially if you don't speak Portuguese, so I wouldn't recommend it as your first walk.

Two caminos in Spain that fit your bill in terms of length and, at least in my recollection, don't have much paving comparatively, are the Camino de Madrid and the Camino Primitivo. A lot of the Madrid takes place in sandy pine forests and then on dirt roads on the Meseta, while the Primitivo goes through plenty of forests in Asturias and Galicia.
I'm interested in the Nascente and Wise Pilgrim appears to be working on a route guidebook but the app says "coming soon". Is there another guide off the top of your head?

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I'm interested in the Nascente and Wise Pilgrim appears to be working on a route guidebook but the app says "coming soon". Is there another guide off the top of your head?
The @wisepilgrim app should work, I have it on iPhone. Just be aware that it's a community app, which means that it's free but that it hasn't gone through Wise Pilgrim's usual editorial procedures. I wrote the content for the app.

There is also a free official guidebook for download here: https://www.caminhosdesantiagoalentejoribatejo.pt/en/

To make a long story short, the official guide begins on Day 4 (from Alcoutim) because the first three days take place in a different government region of Portugal. But the long unpaved sections begin in Alcoutim anyway. The one day with a lot of paving after this (15km straight on a road) is between Viana do Alentejo and Évora.

The @wisepilgrim app should work, I have it on iPhone. Just be aware that it's a community app, which means that it's free but that it hasn't gone through Wise Pilgrim's usual editorial procedures. I wrote the content for the app.

There is also a free official guidebook for download here: https://www.caminhosdesantiagoalentejoribatejo.pt/en/

To make a long story short, the official guide begins on Day 4 (from Alcoutim) because the first three days take place in a different government region of Portugal. But the long unpaved sections begin in Alcoutim anyway. The one day with a lot of paving after this (15km straight on a road) is between Viana do Alentejo and Évora.
That's very helpful!

You might cumulatively find 200 unpaved miles on a Spanish Camino but not continuously. All the Camino routes I have walked include paved sections to a greater or lesser degree. They are paths which connect many towns and villages rather than wilderness trails.
I agree. The Camino routes are not wilderness paths. There may be greater or lesser amounts of pavement on the various routes, but people go into cities and villages along the way to find food and shelter.

Guides that will let you complete the journey your way.
Looks like a wonderful route. I'm looking at Rota Vicentina and Caminho Nascente but interested in VDLP for the future.
It is a wonderful route but as many of us who have walked it will tell you, much of the route is not a celebration of nature and beauty. It has some very long stages often with little more than rows and rows of olive trees. Some would call it monotonous, others like myself love the solitude and usually silence (lots of times you will hear farm equipment). It is a camino that needs some level of planning. If you have never done long distance walking or caminos you may have some difficulty but of course it is definitely doable. There are lots of us to help here on the forum. Remember in November (I have walked in November on the VDLP) do not expect meeting many people, precious few. Also knowing some Spanish will be a big plus. This is not a camino that is an economic boost to the local populations. The people are wonderful and kind but they do not "cater" to pilgrims and outside of a few albergue owners and hospitalarios I can count on one hand the number of locals that spoke Spanish. If you know some Spanish the people really appreciate it. If you do not and respect that they don't speak English and you use google translate I am sure they will be helpful too.

Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I'm looking at Rota Vicentina and Caminho Nascente

A quick and dirty comparison:

The Rota Vicentina is shorter, has more spectacular (coastal) scenery, is relatively lacking in history/culture (and is not a Camino de Santiago), has very soft surfaces including sand, has more infrastructure for accommodation/food, has more walkers but still not that many.

The Nascente is longer and more remote, requires coordinating with local parish councils for some accommodation, is far less travelled by other walkers, has more interesting history/culture but less beautiful scenery, is a Camino de Santiago.

In summary, the RV is a beautiful coastal walk and is the easier and 'safer' choice, in that you're basically guaranteed to enjoy it. The Nascente is more of an adventure in every sense, more difficult in terms of practicalities, but more rewarding if you're into history/culture and want a deeper exploration and understanding of Portugal.

My highlights of each:

Rota Vicentina Highlights
Caminho Nascente Highlights

@jungleboy, what a thorough and comprehensive comparison between the two walks. I absolutely loved the Rota Vicentina and you described it well. I can not speak of the Nescente, but you have given the OP plenty to think about.
I always look forward to reading your informative posts.🙂

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Friends

This is my first post. I am looking for 200 miles of unpaved camino to walk in November.

I haven't walked in Spain or Portugal, however, Spain and Portugal seem to be best suited, given the time of year.

I'm sure that I can find some help here! I have enjoyed the forum!

Cordially

Herman (Chuck) Watson
If you’re looking for unpaved than a GR (grand randonnee) in France or Spain can be a good option. They intersect sometimes with the Camino but are more dedicated long distance hiking routes. They often pass close to towns so you can get services if needed.

If you’re looking for unpaved than a GR (grand randonnee) in France or Spain can be a good option. They intersect sometimes with the Camino but are more dedicated long distance hiking routes. They often pass close to towns so you can get services if needed.
Hoping to walk GR 65 from Lausanne or Geneva or GR 5 Voges Jura section, soon.

Why the pavement allergy?

If you don't want pavement of any kind, there are other routes in other countries which can satisfy you.

PCT in USA, Pennine Way in UK, Bibbulman track in Oz ...

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Why the pavement allergy?

If you don't want pavement of any kind, there are other routes in other countries which can satisfy you.

PCT in USA, Pennine Way in UK, Bibbulman track in Oz ...
My travel companion is a ten year old German Shepherd and he drags his back feet occasionally when he’s done in. It’s simply easier for him to walk on unpaved trails. We recently walked the Gallatin Crest from Yellowstone National Park north, spending several days above tree line.

Most read last week in this forum

In the Guardian. Interesting "Letters to the Editor..." https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2024/apr/18/a-modern-pilgrimages-transformative-power?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Other
Good day, I am new on the Forum. Exciting! I am planning to dedicate 10-12 days to the Camino. I am leaning towards the Del Norte route but want to end in Santiago. With limited time, it made...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back