Search 69,459 Camino Questions

2018 chainsaw accident near La Espina, looking for Peregrino who saved his life

El Cascayal

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
23:Valença Var Espiritual Apr; Norte Cudillero Oct
From Primitivo FB page posted by Maritere del Oso Castro for Juan Manuel del Oso (they both live in La Espina, near Bodenaya) who is looking for the Peregrino who saved his life in 2018. Spanish followed by Google translate into English, a little stilted yet understandable.

Perhaps someone here can help?

En la primavera de 2018 un vecino de La Espina, Juan Manuel del Oso, salvó su vida gracias a la rápida intervención de un peregrino que pasaba al lado de su casa, en El Brañueto, La Espina, en el tramo que une nuestro pueblo con Bodenaya; se acababa de cortar con una motosierra y un desconocido caminante le hizo un torniquete antes de que llegaran los servicios sanitarios; con los nervios del momento a nadie se le ocurrió preguntar ni tan siquiera su nombre a su "ángel salvador", yo estaba presente y recuerdo que la madre de Juanín le dio un donativo para que se lo hiciese llegar en su nombre al Apóstol y este hombre le dijo que así lo haría....

5 años después Juan Manuel recuerda este difícil momento de su vida en una entrevista publicada en el diario La nueva España el día 10/07/2023:

"Porque yo me jubilé tras un accidente que tuve en 2018. Un fin de semana haciendo leña, una motosierra me cortó un brazo, cortó la vena principal y el nervio mediano que gobierna tres dedos. El primer golpe de sangre, no te exagero, subió más de dos metros de altura. Lo primero que pensé: aquí me quedo".

"Pero me salvó un peregrino del Camino de Santiago que pasaba por allí y me atendió. Si no es por el peregrino, adiós que te guarde el cielo. Me llevaron en helicóptero y la familia estaba asustadísima, así que nadie se preocupó por el peregrino, ¿entiendes? No he logrado localizarlo. Si lo encontrase, iba a Francia a verlo, fíjate. Sería toda una satisfacción enorme poder agradecérselo. Sí que se puede decir que el Camino de Santiago nos da la vida. A los que viven de él, que ya vive el 50% de la comarca, les da la vida. Pero a mí me la dio literalmente".

A raíz de esta entrevista a mi se me ocurrió que tal vez a través de algún grupo de peregrinos podríamos lograr que Juanín pueda conseguir contactar con su rescatador y así poder transmitirle su agradecimiento.

GRACIAS!!!

In the spring of 2018, a resident of La Espina, Juan Manuel del Oso, saved his life thanks to the rapid intervention of a pilgrim who was passing by his house, in El Brañueto, La Espina, on the stretch that connects our town with Bodenaya; he had just cut himself with a chainsaw and was given a tourniquet by an unknown passerby before the health services arrived; With the nerves of the moment, no one even thought to ask his "savior angel" his name, I was present and I remember that Juanín's mother gave him a donation so that he could send it to the Apostle in his name and this man told him that he would do it...

5 years later, Juan Manuel recalls this difficult moment in his life in an interview published in the newspaper La nueva España on 07/10/2023:

"Because I retired after an accident I had in 2018. One weekend doing firewood, a chainsaw cut my arm, cut the main vein and the median nerve that governs three fingers. The first blow of blood, I am not exaggerating, It rose more than two meters high. The first thing I thought: I'll stay here."

"But I was saved by a pilgrim on the Camino de Santiago who was passing by and he took care of me. If it's not for the pilgrim, goodbye, may heaven keep you. They took me by helicopter and the family was terrified, so no one cared about the pilgrim Do you understand? I haven't been able to locate him. If I found him, I would go to France to see him, mind you. It would be an enormous satisfaction to be able to thank him. Yes, it can be said that the Camino de Santiago gives us life. To those who live on it , who already lives in 50% of the region, gives them life. But he literally gave it to me."

As a result of this interview, it occurred to me that perhaps through a group of pilgrims we could get Juanín to get in touch with his rescuer and thus be able to convey his gratitude to him.

THANK YOU!!!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
From Primitivo FB page posted by Maritere del Oso Castro for Juan Manuel del Oso (they both live in La Espina, near Bodenaya) who is looking for the Peregrino who saved his life in 2018. Spanish followed by Google translate into English, a little stilted yet understandable.

Perhaps someone here can help?

En la primavera de 2018 un vecino de La Espina, Juan Manuel del Oso, salvó su vida gracias a la rápida intervención de un peregrino que pasaba al lado de su casa, en El Brañueto, La Espina, en el tramo que une nuestro pueblo con Bodenaya; se acababa de cortar con una motosierra y un desconocido caminante le hizo un torniquete antes de que llegaran los servicios sanitarios; con los nervios del momento a nadie se le ocurrió preguntar ni tan siquiera su nombre a su "ángel salvador", yo estaba presente y recuerdo que la madre de Juanín le dio un donativo para que se lo hiciese llegar en su nombre al Apóstol y este hombre le dijo que así lo haría....

5 años después Juan Manuel recuerda este difícil momento de su vida en una entrevista publicada en el diario La nueva España el día 10/07/2023:

"Porque yo me jubilé tras un accidente que tuve en 2018. Un fin de semana haciendo leña, una motosierra me cortó un brazo, cortó la vena principal y el nervio mediano que gobierna tres dedos. El primer golpe de sangre, no te exagero, subió más de dos metros de altura. Lo primero que pensé: aquí me quedo".

"Pero me salvó un peregrino del Camino de Santiago que pasaba por allí y me atendió. Si no es por el peregrino, adiós que te guarde el cielo. Me llevaron en helicóptero y la familia estaba asustadísima, así que nadie se preocupó por el peregrino, ¿entiendes? No he logrado localizarlo. Si lo encontrase, iba a Francia a verlo, fíjate. Sería toda una satisfacción enorme poder agradecérselo. Sí que se puede decir que el Camino de Santiago nos da la vida. A los que viven de él, que ya vive el 50% de la comarca, les da la vida. Pero a mí me la dio literalmente".

A raíz de esta entrevista a mi se me ocurrió que tal vez a través de algún grupo de peregrinos podríamos lograr que Juanín pueda conseguir contactar con su rescatador y así poder transmitirle su agradecimiento.

GRACIAS!!!

In the spring of 2018, a resident of La Espina, Juan Manuel del Oso, saved his life thanks to the rapid intervention of a pilgrim who was passing by his house, in El Brañueto, La Espina, on the stretch that connects our town with Bodenaya; he had just cut himself with a chainsaw and was given a tourniquet by an unknown passerby before the health services arrived; With the nerves of the moment, no one even thought to ask his "savior angel" his name, I was present and I remember that Juanín's mother gave him a donation so that he could send it to the Apostle in his name and this man told him that he would do it...

5 years later, Juan Manuel recalls this difficult moment in his life in an interview published in the newspaper La nueva España on 07/10/2023:

"Because I retired after an accident I had in 2018. One weekend doing firewood, a chainsaw cut my arm, cut the main vein and the median nerve that governs three fingers. The first blow of blood, I am not exaggerating, It rose more than two meters high. The first thing I thought: I'll stay here."

"But I was saved by a pilgrim on the Camino de Santiago who was passing by and he took care of me. If it's not for the pilgrim, goodbye, may heaven keep you. They took me by helicopter and the family was terrified, so no one cared about the pilgrim Do you understand? I haven't been able to locate him. If I found him, I would go to France to see him, mind you. It would be an enormous satisfaction to be able to thank him. Yes, it can be said that the Camino de Santiago gives us life. To those who live on it , who already lives in 50% of the region, gives them life. But he literally gave it to me."

As a result of this interview, it occurred to me that perhaps through a group of pilgrims we could get Juanín to get in touch with his rescuer and thus be able to convey his gratitude to him.

THANK YOU!!!
Is it possible to post this onto some of the camino pages on Facebook.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Just a side comment.

In the US, back in 2018, we hadn't really gotten around to training civilians/ volunteers in how to use a tourniquet, nor would we have encouraged them to carry one. We were barely starting to retrain EMTs and paramedics. If this was a US citizen, in 2018, I would bet my paycheck that the angel was current or former military, or trained in wilderness medicine.

YMMV for other nationalities, of course.

Is it possible to post this onto some of the camino pages on Facebook.
It has been reposted here from the Camino Primitivo FB page. I wonder if the Albergues just after La Espina on that stage might know something - I imagine the pilgrim would have arrived covered in blood and the story told.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
It has been reposted here from the Camino Primitivo FB page. I wonder if the Albergues just after La Espina on that stage might know something - I imagine the pilgrim would have arrived covered in blood and the story told.
I think he may have just finished his tenure there, but perhaps David from Bodenaya would know.

Just a side comment.

In the US, back in 2018, we hadn't really gotten around to training civilians/ volunteers in how to use a tourniquet, nor would we have encouraged them to carry one. We were barely starting to retrain EMTs and paramedics. If this was a US citizen, in 2018, I would bet my paycheck that the angel was current or former military, or trained in wilderness medicine.

YMMV for other nationalities, of course.
This was my immediate thought

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
There’s learning it in a scholastic sense but executing it in a full stress environment is a whole different matter. There are a few who have the innate ability but I’d venture to guess that the majority who are able to act swiftly have a more intense version of training. I’m not disparaging the Girl Scouts or anything like that because your training could have been outstandin. If so I hope the standard continues!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
True to all, but between the 80s (ish) and the 2010s in the US, tourniquet use was discouraged in civilian non wilderness first aid classes. I leave it as an exercise for the reader why it was / is being reinstated...

And, these days, training very much emphasizes that the primary failure of a tourniquet is that it's not tight enough. Roughly, if the patient isn't experiencing (much) more pain than before and the bleeding hasn't stopped, it's not tight enough.

I'm still betting with the paycheck, assuming that it wasn't straight up Divine intervention .. ;/

Most read last week in this forum

I have been trying to find a way to avoid the circus during the last stages of Frances. In two hours you can take the Lugo - Ourense train and walk the last stages on the Plata. Is it a good idea...
https://www.alojamientoloshospitales.com/albergue I found a link to this place in an old thread, but can't find it on WisePilgrim, the Gronze map or if I search by address. Can someone tell me...
Hi all Heading out for a meal tonight and Pilgrim mass before starting the Primitivo tomorrow. Any recommendations on where to get a great meal in Oviedo?

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back