• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

2019 - I hope this will be my year for the Camino.

Rob_Shill_Wales_UK

Time of past OR future Camino
2019- will it be my year for the Camino- I certainly hope so!
Hi All,

Seasons Greetings to you!

This is a brilliant forum with so many helpful people! I stumbled across the Camino like most people guess.... I watched 'that film'. Funnily enough, i stumbled across it while on holiday in the Pyrenees in 2013 and said that by the time i was 35 i would walk the Camino. I visited SJPDP a few times to absorb the atmosphere and began to mentally and physically prepare. I even bought the shell in readiness. It hangs over my bed and has done since 2013.....Theres a reason why i still have it.

Unbeknown to me, my journey towards the Camino experience was never going to be simple as i thought. I have been able to collect holidays from work so that i could group them into a block. I went to the gym 6 times a week. I ate healthily. Walked 300m mountains and cycled 100miles on the bike for charity to stay fit.

What more could i do!

In January 2016, i visited Gavarnie which is in the High Pyrenees south of Lourdes to partake in some winter ski. It all went terribly wrong that day. I shattered my leg and whilst lost in the snow, i almost died on the mountain that day. The doc said i had approx 1 hour left by the time they found me. The french Police rescued my by helicopter and since then its been a complicated and frustrating journey of recovery. Ive had 4 rounds of major surgery to put right the catastrophic injury i sustained and i have one more surgery any time now. I hope the next one will be the one.

So the thing is, I turned 35 this year - I've missed the milestone i set myself.

However my life changing event gave me new perspective and forced me to slow down - to take time. It enlightened me to the small things in life, contentness and wellbeing. It made me realise how lucky you are if you have your health and that there is nothing you can take for granted- no matter how certain it may seem. The fire inside still burns and i still intend to walk the Camino. I plan to begin my journey at the spot where it all went wrong high up in the Mountains. My aim is to take a small stone from that point, traverse the pyrenees to join the 'main highway' of the camino from SJPDP. Its just over 900km. The Cruz de faro will really have true meaning to me if (i manage to get that far!).

I don't plan on walking Xkm per day. I don't plan on taking X days. I don't even have a plan to stick to what the guide book says because my reading shows me that there are places to stay all along the Camino. When im tired, i will stop for the day. Whether that be 5km, 15km, 25km etc, im not pressuring myself to rush on through what i see as a fantastic life experience. My Camino will finish the at Fisterra.

As I don't have a set on stone plan, i do worry that it may be a lonely experience for me in that I'm not great at making friends- its never come naturally really. Taking my time and not keeping up with the cohort i start off with could mean that i don't get that Camino family everyone talks about. Its a concern to me but its a risk have to accept i guess.

I cant say at the moment when i am going to do the Camino because i don't know what the outcome of Surgery will be or how long it will take to recover but I fully intend to walk the way next year and look forward to meet some of you lovely people as i wander on through. Not knowing when would have really bugged me a few years ago but if there's one thing ive learned dover the last 3 years, its that if you can be patient and if you can 'let it go' and 'let it be', you find this great feeling of peace inside.

Buen Camino Pilgrims! May see some of you walking your own way next year! Congratulations to those of you who completed it this year and for those undecided on next steps...... all I can say is that "difficult roads often lead to beautiful destinations". Do what your heart tells you to do. Don't look back in regret- look forward with hope.

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
A selection of Camino Jewellery
So the thing is, I turned 35 this year - I've missed the milestone i set myself.
When I read the above I thought to reply "No worries about the age thing; you've been reborn."

However my life changing event gave me new perspective and forced me to slow down - to take time. It enlightened me to the small things in life, contentness and wellbeing. It made me realise how lucky you are if you have your health and that there is nothing you can take for granted- no matter how certain it may seem. The fire inside still burns and i still intend to walk the Camino.
Then reading the above I saw that you already know that.

Wishing you only the best Rob.

Welcome Rob
Apply what you already know (let it go) to your expectations about the camino you walk. You'll make friends - and if you don't, let it go. You'll be part of a family - or not. It's not the end of the world to meet lots of different people. In fact, it might be even better for you!
All the best for your upcoming surgery and recovery road.

Welcome to the forum, and to our community. One great thing about the Camino, and walking as a recreational pursuit, is that it is possibly the best opportunity for most of us to stay fit throughout life and into old age. Having the camino as a goal during your rehabilitation is an excellent idea.

that Camino family everyone talks about.
Not everyone raves about camino families. Many people do, and they say things like "I met my camino family on Day 1" as if that family were a pre-ordained entity. However, many of us also prefer not to walk in a fixed group and we enjoy the serendipity of meeting and leaving new people. On one of my early walks, I found myself in a group of wonderful people, who did form a sort of family. There were even parent-like roles and child-like roles. I think I was a somewhat distant aunt in the family. But I did not want to walk in such a group. It felt like a school field trip more than a pilgrimage or journey of self-discovery/exploration. So I deliberately changed my schedule in order to separate from them. So do NOT feel that you have missed something important if you don't "find a family" !

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Welcome to the forum Rob from a fellow Rob, nearly from Wales (Chester) who also broke their leg (not as badly as yours but enough to be in traction for nearly two months) while skiing in Europe.

It seems that you have a very good attitude as to how your camino might go, I'm all for taking it as you find it and if you have the time to do that it's an absolutely great position to be in.

Concerning the social aspects of the camino- depending on what time of year you end up walking there may be hundreds if not thousands of people walking within a day either side of you all going at their own pace and for the mostpart open to being sociable, the odds are pretty good that you'll meet at least a few people working to roughly the same schedule as you. And one absolutely enormous advantage you have is that when you're asked (and you will be...often) how you come to be on the Camino, you'll have a fantastic story to tell of your accident and road to recovery. "Why are you walking the Camino?" is perhaps the single greatest icebreaker in the history of social interaction as it's an innocent enough question but can pretty quickly, depending on the mood of the respondant, get down to some fairly fundamental motivating forces within a person given the significance of the task at hand. But as with the practical side of the walk I would take it as it comes.

Buen Camino,

Rob.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Hi All,

This is a brilliant forum with so many helpful people! I stumbled across the Camino like most people guess.... I watched 'that film'. Funnily enough, i stumbled across it while on holiday in the Pyrenees in 2013 and said that by the time i was 35 i would walk the Camino. I visited SJPDP a few times to absorb the atmosphere and began to mentally and physically prepare. I even bought the shell in readiness. It hangs over my bed and has done since 2013.....Theres a reason why i still have it.

Unbeknown to me, my journey towards the Camino experience was never going to be simple as i thought. I have been able to collect holidays from work so that i could group them into a block. I went to the gym 6 times a week. I ate healthily. Walked 300m mountains and cycled 100miles on the bike for charity to stay fit.

What more could i do!

In January 2016, i visited Gavarnie which is in the High Pyrenees south of Lourdes to partake in some winter ski. It all went terribly wrong that day. I shattered my leg and whilst lost in the snow, i almost died on the mountain that day. The doc said i had approx 1 hour left by the time they found me. The french Police rescued my by helicopter and since then its been a complicated and frustrating journey of recovery. Ive had 4 rounds of major surgery to put right the catastrophic injury i sustained and i have one more surgery any time now. I hope the next one will be the one.

However my life changing event gave me new perspective and forced me to slow down - to take time. It enlightened me to the small things in life, contentness and wellbeing. It made me realise how lucky you are if you have your health and that there is nothing you can take for granted- no matter how certain it may seem. The fire inside still burns and i still intend to walk the Camino. I plan to begin my journey at the spot where it all went wrong high up in the Mountains. My aim is to take a small stone from that point, traverse the pyrenees to join the 'main highway' of the camino from SJPDP. Its just over 900km. The Cruz de faro will really have true meaning to me if (i manage to get that far!).

I don't plan on walking Xkm per day. I don't plan on taking X days. I don't even have a plan to stick to what the guide book says because my reading shows me that there are places to stay all along the Camino. When im tired, i will stop for the day. Whether that be 5km, 15km, 25km etc, im not pressuring myself to rush on through what i see as a fantastic life experience. My Camino will finish the at Fisterra.

As I don't have a set on stone plan, i do worry that it may be a lonely experience for me in that I'm not great at making friends- its never come naturally really. Taking my time and not keeping up with the cohort i start off with could mean that i don't get that Camino family everyone talks about. Its a concern to me but its a risk have to accept i guess.

I cant say at the moment when i am going to do the Camino because i don't know what the outcome of Surgery will be or how long it will take to recover but I fully intend to walk the way next year and look forward to meet some of you lovely people as i wander on through. Not knowing when would have really bugged me a few years ago but if there's one thing ive learned dover the last 3 years, its that if you can be patient and if you can 'let it go' and 'let it be', you find this great feeling of peace inside.

Buen Camino Pilgrims! May see some of you walking your own way next year! Congratulations to those of you who completed it this year and for those undecided on next steps...... all I can say is that "difficult roads often lead to beautiful destinations". Do what your heart tells you to do. Don't look back in regret- look forward with hope.
Your Camino was just meant to take a little longer. Go slow, don’t be tempted to compete, and enjoy every step. Stop when you are tired or sore. Listen to your body and your message and the Camino will provide EXACTLY what you need.
You will meet many Camino friends (or family) as no-one knows you are shy, and your journey and opportunity will be longer. You will decide who you want to talk to, and for how long. Just be prepared to make friends quickly and if you connect get details to keep in touch - again only if you want to. My advice is to stay in albergues if you want a more social experience. It’s not a competition it’s your own journey. Just enjoy - and have the time of your life. 😊

Rob, I guess you may have come across the good luck bad luck story, but even if not, you have learned all about it. I join in wishing you the best for your plans to walk your camino. I’ll keep an eye out for your reports!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Thank you for sharing your story. You have a great attitude and I wish you all the best. May you have a wonderful camino.
Buen Camino to you.

...As I don't have a set on stone plan, i do worry that it may be a lonely experience for me in that I'm not great at making friends- its never come naturally really. Taking my time and not keeping up with the cohort i start off with could mean that i don't get that Camino family everyone talks about. Its a concern to me but its a risk have to accept i guess.
Don't bother too much about that. You will have the chance to make several "families". The rest of my post is only MHO:

I like to walk alone. That is the best way to experience the Camino, IMHO. Especially your first Camino. Days and weeks of reflections on former life, walking in silence, is a true bliss and will do you good: You will focus on your future. Not being alone will take your focus away from what you need in your life to come, IMHO.

But I like to talk to others, mostly at the end of the day, over a beer, making dinner together, etc. I am always open to that. But being dependant upon a flock, is not neccessarily good: You risk becoming dependant on them, instead of being free for yourself and living in the now.

You will have ample possibilities to connect with others all the way. But do not become desperate to integrate into a particular group: Actually, you risk excluding pilgrims who could have helped/taught you a lot on your walk of life on the Camino.

The Camino is first and foremost YOUR Camino, as well as an inner journey for your self. Not others. IMHO.

Edit: Maybe the "need" for a Camino family is a reflection of lack of independence (which the Camino will provide at the end of the day, for many)?

Buen Camino!

Last edited:
Thank you all for your inspiration! Means so much to me! Ive just been told that the operation i need has been delayed until at least April 2019. If it does happen then i will bellowing at a late august/september walk. Possibly October. I know about the fickle nature of the weather in the pyrenees and thats something i will have to bear in mind. I don't intend planning too much though. my feeling is that i will know when I'm physically ready- then i will book a plane ticket to get me to Toulouse and from there, ill make my way via TGV to lourdes and catch a ride to my starting point.

If we do have a bad weather spell around that time then it may well be that 2020 is my year. Ive had so many complications that whilst i believe in hope- i don't hold al my hopes in one hand- i will have to see what the future deals me and adapt- something akin to the camino itself i expect!

You've given me a lot of reassurance and im looking forward more than ever now!

Thanks all and wishing you seasons greetings!

Rob

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi All,

What more could i do!

What a great story of courage, patience and not sweating the small stuff, or any of the stuff. Every year I plan to walk the Camino in September and every year I have to postpone due to family circumstances. I have had the plan mapped out for years, but I quietly put it on hold as I continue to care for my elderly mother who is approaching 92 years of age. I am now approaching 60 years of age.
As you do, I hope to walk the Camino in 2019, but that would mean I have lost my mother, and that is something I am not ready for.
Bon Camino whenever it happens.

Hi @Ellann, I totally understand where you are coming from. I lost both my parents ten days apart when I was 43, even though I had a family of my own, but I still felt like an orphan. I understand about your mother, wanting to be there for her. I think you are showing respect for her, along with a big dose of maturity and patience for the right timing. The Camino trails will always be there waiting for you when your opportunity presents itself!

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
I was going to say "walk it with me" but (respectfully) i'm not offering- everyone needs a mum and the longer you can keep her the better-enjoy that precious time! The Camino will aim sure provide you the precious time you need and provide you with memories - but the camino will be there when you need it. Good health to you and your mum and warm wishes for the festive season.

I use to live a life at 100mph. Then when this happened, i kind of had an idea that like could look different but didn't really think about what the road ahead looked like..... until i found myself in the depths of depression and suffering from post traumatic stress from the accident (stemming from a complete lack of knowledge how i came to fall). I had a great deal of counselling which taught me that you should never ignore your feelings and that talking to someone really does help- even if sometimes it feels like its making it worse.

My unfortunate accident opened my eyes to a different world. There is nothing more i like now that to sit in nature and listen. I notice so much more and from life is now all in the detail - detail i would otherwise miss living at 100mph.

My camino is when claw back some lost time and to close a chapter of my life whilst embracing what i am now. I won't forget the person i was but cant ignore the person i now am. Secretly- i think i prefer him now than he use to live!

Buen camino friend.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I was going to say "walk it with me" but (respectfully) i'm not offering- everyone needs a mum and the longer you can keep her the better-enjoy that precious time! The Camino will aim sure provide you the precious time you need and provide you with memories - but the camino will be there when you need it. Good health to you and your mum and warm wishes for the festive season.

I use to live a life at 100mph. Then when this happened, i kind of had an idea that like could look different but didn't really think about what the road ahead looked like..... until i found myself in the depths of depression and suffering from post traumatic stress from the accident (stemming from a complete lack of knowledge how i came to fall). I had a great deal of counselling which taught me that you should never ignore your feelings and that talking to someone really does help- even if sometimes it feels like its making it worse.

My unfortunate accident opened my eyes to a different world. There is nothing more i like now that to sit in nature and listen. I notice so much more and from life is now all in the detail - detail i would otherwise miss living at 100mph.

My camino is when claw back some lost time and to close a chapter of my life whilst embracing what i am now. I won't forget the person i was but cant ignore the person i now am. Secretly- i think i prefer him now than he use to live!

Buen camino friend.
Thank you for your kind words, and I do find myself at that precipice of being tired of the relentless speed of life.

ive found mindfulness an excellent tool to help. Google searches for mindfulness gives you lots of tactics yo can use. Breathing techniques for example. Most importantly, you need to make time for yourself in life. Even if its just for 5 minutes a day.

The photo of young the mountains is amazing! where was this taken?Mountains stir my soul. Yes- they almost killed me but it doesn't stop me loving them.

Ah that was an 11 day trek to Annapurna Sanctuary in Nepal back in 2014. That was when I discovered “walking”, and began to consider a Camino. Because my plan is to have no time line or deadline allowing up to 6 weeks, it remains as it is, itinerary kind of in place, Portuguese route, but departure from Australia unknown.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Its lovely and you look at home in the picture. Departure unknown is a positive as it means extra time with loved ones. Don't wish it away- let it be. Your time for the Camino to be enriched by you is in your timeline. It will happen if you wish it to happen- just at a time when it fits with life events. Take Care

Rob,
I learned about the Camino in 1983 during my first year of high school. I wanted to do it instantly but life always gave me excuses to postpone until next year. I never had an injury like yours, just pressure from jobs, girlfriends, etc. I even moved to Spain after getting married to a Spanish girl. I lived in Spain for 10 years and even then didn't find time to walk the Camino!!! Ugh.

After moving back to California I finally found time in 2013 to plan a trip with a group of friends. At the last minute they all cancelled for a variety of reasons. I decided to go it alone. YES. The single best decision of my life.

The 2013 Camino kicked my butt. Shin splints were just the start. Tendon issues, foot swelling too much to fit in my shoe, an MRI in Burgos... This Camino was amazing but I was in no shape for it.

I went back in 2015. I was in better shape. My pack was half the weight. I had read almost a dozen books on the Camino and talked to university professors who understood the knights templar and various other experts of Camino history. Before going on my 2015 Camino I made notes of everything to see and where to stay each day. I loved the 2015 Camino.

In 2017 I had a friend who was talking to me about going. I told her "If you go, I'll go". We made a plan, day by day with notes. 100 pages in all. We had fun picking out gear and she grew annoyed with me repeating how "your pack is too heavy" and "you don't need these things" as her initial pack was 30lbs. When we left for the Camino her pack was down to 13lbs! (thankfully).

The Camino is magical. I admire your dedication. Fight for it. You will not regret anything about your journey.

Come on 2019!!! I plan to walk Camino del Norte starting on the last day of May. I'm getting help with planning from many people on this forum. I know the French Route better than most tour guides but I know very little of Norte. I hope to learn what I can, accept what I missed, and cherish every minute of my next Camino!

Bob

Hi Rob,

Sounds like you've had quite the journey to get to this point, and I wish you all the best with your operation in April. That NHS waiting list is a real kick in the teeth, my mum's been on it often enough.

The camino is not just one path but many. While most people will initially think of the French Way, you don't have to do it from SJPP, and you can do a shortened version or a different route altogether, depending on how recovery from your op goes.

However, if you do end up going in September, I'll be starting mine in mid-September so may see you along the road. I've started my planning, and South Wales to SJPP looks like the most exhausting day of the whole trip!!!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
You have the perfect attitude. I did my Camino eight months after foot surgery and was so glad that I was able to do it. I'm going back this June for more of it.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi Caminantes, My wife and I are leaving for Madrid from Brisbane - AU on May 4th to walk the Frances. We are flying with Qatar. I am a bit worried that if I check in my backpacks, they have a...
Hi all, Im walking my first Camino in April (CF) and was wondering if it would be likely for me to encounter leeches? I know for most people leeches are not a big deal but they are in plague...
In past years, when we walked from Samos to Sarria, there was simply a yellow arrow that went off to the right of the highway, up a hill, past a pig farm then a sharp left turn at a small church...
Are you also interested to know the reasons why other fellow pilgrims choose to walk El Camino? Please participate in the poll!
Several local websites have reported a small earthquake this afternoon with an epicentre in the Sarria area. Apparently felt quite strongly locally but with little likelihood of property damage...
Hello!! I am a retired Spanish gentleman living in Madrid. My name is Jose and I would like to do the Camino de Santiago again!!! But this time I would like to walk and improve my English Level...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back