• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Latest viable date to start this year?

mikeypal

Time of past OR future Camino
Fall 2023
Hi, I had to postpone my original planned start date of late August-early Sept. for the Camino Frances. Now I'm wondering if I should go for a later start this year or postpone until spring 2024. What would folks say is the latest viable date to start on the Camino? I have no problem walking in colder weather; I'm more concerned about the availability of accommodations. All thoughts welcome, thanks!

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
How far are you prepared to walk each day? It is possible to walk the Camino Frances all year round but you may have to walk longer stages in winter when there are fewer places open. I walked from SJPDP to Santiago in January this year.

PS: if luggage transport is important for you then check out when the companies end the service for the winter. On the Camino Frances the only year-round service is on the Sarria to Santiago section.

Last edited:
Hi, I had to postpone my original planned start date of late August-early Sept. for the Camino Frances. Now I'm wondering if I should go for a later start this year or postpone until spring 2024. What would folks say is the latest viable date to start on the Camino? I have no problem walking in colder weather; I'm more concerned about the availability of accommodations. All thoughts welcome, thanks!
It’s good all year. I only walk between October and March. The accommodation options do reduce; but supply and demand balance and it’s always feasible.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
If you are walking the Camino Frances there is a winter website which identifies places that are open. It will become active again in early November. I have served as a hospitalera and also walked over the Christmas/New Year time period and it is a wonderful time to walk. Fewer pilgrims, but perhaps a closer "community" of pilgrims that you do meet.

I see you are from Philly, so you have experience with unpredictable weather. Be prepared for the possibility of some snowing mountain passes.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
It’s good all year. I only walk between October and March. The accommodation options do reduce; but supply and demand balance and it’s always feasible.
Second this. November and December are wonderful months to walk, just keep an eye on the weather. I got snowed in at Foncebadon my first time. But there are plenty of beds, just double check the albergue is open all year.
Arriving in Santiago at Christmastime is priceless.

As you are comfortable in colder weather, I'd argue that walking in Jan/Feb may be the best time of the year to walk now. I've walked twice in that time frame along the CF and with only 2 exceptions, I was able to find open Albergues. I stayed in a hotel once and a pension the other night but it was a very reasonable cost. The route is very quiet and as others have stated, the company, when you had it, was generally very enjoyable as we all seemed like-minded in our motivation to be there. There are a few challenges to overcome (water fountains turned off, stores and bars closed for the season, etc) but carry a little bag of emergency food (noodles, tuna, nuts, etc) and you will survive the night :)
Hope you enjoy the off season walk!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
How far are you prepared to walk each day? It is possible to walk the Camino Frances all year round but you may have to walk longer stages in winter when there are fewer places open. I walked from SJPDP to Santiago in January this year.

PS: if luggage transport is important for you then check out when the companies end the service for the winter. On the Camino Frances the only year-round service is on the Sarria to Santiago section.
We walked the beginning from SJPDP in November. Lots of places closed, so we prebooked. Also used luggage transport. Caminofacil did it, but used private transport and it was more expensive. We had to prebook that too. Having said that, it was beautiful. Not many pilgrims, but it snowed. We‘re Australian, so doing the Camino in the snow was really something. My profile picture shows it.

Most read last week in this forum

Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...
From a friend on the ground in Pamplona https://www.noticiasdenavarra.com/fotos/general/sociedad/2024/04/23/nieve-primaveral-presente-navarra-8152386.html

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back