• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

26 Stage walk realistic?

WldWil

Time of past OR future Camino
2015 SJPDP - Halfway
2016 Fromista - The other half
Well, I made the decision to go for it. I plan to do the Camino in two parts due to schedule and such. For more detail, you can see my post at https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...reaking-the-journey-in-two.29540/#post-249731. I started this new thread as this is similar but different and next part of my decision.

Fast background: I’m 49 and pretty decent shape. I completed a 5k race this last month under 25 minutes. Yes, hiking is different than running and this is not a race, but it gives you something to gauge health and ability on.

I found a 26 stage walk at http://santiago.forwalk.org/en/trail/26-days-to-santiago/ that would give a 2 day buffer for breaks or slower pace.

• How realistic do you think this schedule is and does it give time to have a good pilgrimage?
• Am I better off skipping a section or two and slow down?
• Hopefully, I can do it and do it right. If it becomes too tight, where do you make it up?

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Personally I would do it slower, though the question you have to ask yourself is why do you want to do the Camino?

Is it so that you can say you walked end to end, or is it so you can experience the culture and broaden the people that you know?
If it is to walk end to end with your head down, then you can certainly do it, but (in my opinion) you will not really get the feel of the Camino, and you could essentially just be walking round your local neighbourhood. Hope that is not too harsh.

Whatever you choose to do, needs to be right for you, and always be prepared to change when your feet hit the Camino, as you may well find that your thinking changes entirely - just go with it, there will be a reason.

I think for many the day where you stop walking to the next point on your initial plan and just stop where you feel like it is a life changing moment, Accepting the constraints of time available can interfere with what the Camino can offer, I would hope that you can gain as much as possible from your experience. Buen Camino

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I have to agree with Al. If this a bucket list thing for you then go for it; but if you want to really enjoy the experience of the Camino and all of it's beauty then slow down. I am 68 years old and walked the Camino in Spain and Portugal for 4 years, there are many super fit folks who start their walk and burn out in the first several days with blisters, tendinitis and other issues which could have easily been avoided by going slower. Buen Camino

I walked with someone last month who had a relatively fast schedule when he did it in 2012. He said that he missed so much, walking fast, in the dark, etc that he did it again this year and really took his time.

I don't want to get into this again, really, but I just would add that there are many people who walk 35 km a day or more without feeling the way some of these posts describe. It will just depend on you and your own walking pace, and also it will depend on what exactly is the "real camino" for you. If your natural walking pace is, say 5 or 6 km an hour, and if you leave at daylight, you will find that generally you can walk 30 km by early afternoon without tiring, feeling rushed, feeling like you need a nap, etc. If you are one of these 5-6 km an hour walkers, you will have plenty of time to see the town, wash your clothes, commune with others, etc. And you will of course have plenty of time for introspection and observation as you walk. And as you walk, you will also have time for a coffee, for a long chat, for a rest, etc, etc. And you can do it without hanging your head down (I don't think that's harsh, just silly :)), enjoying yourself every bit as much as someone who is walking slower. All we are talking about is the rate at which you put one foot in front of the other, and that depends totally on your own fitness level and desire, nothing else. The best piece of advice in all of this, I think, is Al's observation that you should do what works for you and your body. All we are telling you is what works for us and our bodies, but "your mileage may vary."

Buen camino, Laurie

p.s. Sorry to go on, but I would add that there is a HUGE difference, IMO, between someone who naturally walks 5-6 km an hour and enjoys it, and someone for whom that is pushing it. I don't encourage anyone to push it, but I do think we ought to recognize that there are many people who can naturally and comfortably walk at that rate, and I don't think there's any point in making them feel like they are rushing through the camino, not getting the full joy of the camino, etc etc.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I don't want to get into this again, really, but I just would add that there are many people who walk 35 km a day or more without feeling the way some of these posts describe. It will just depend on you and your own walking pace, and also it will depend on what exactly is the "real camino" for you. If your natural walking pace is, say 5 or 6 km an hour, and if you leave at daylight, you will find that generally you can walk 30 km by early afternoon without tiring, feeling rushed, feeling like you need a nap, etc. If you are one of these 5-6 km an hour walkers, you will have plenty of time to see the town, wash your clothes, commune with others, etc. And you will of course have plenty of time for introspection and observation as you walk. And as you walk, you will also have time for a coffee, for a long chat, for a rest, etc, etc. And you can do it without hanging your head down (I don't think that's harsh, just silly :)), enjoying yourself every bit as much as someone who is walking slower. All we are talking about is the rate at which you put one foot in front of the other, and that depends totally on your own fitness level and desire, nothing else. The best piece of advice in all of this, I think, is Al's observation that you should do what works for you and your body. All we are telling you is what works for us and our bodies, but "your mileage may vary."

Buen camino, Laurie

p.s. Sorry to go on, but I would add that there is a HUGE difference, IMO, between someone who naturally walks 5-6 km an hour and enjoys it, and someone for whom that is pushing it. I don't encourage anyone to push it, but I do think we ought to recognize that there are many people who can naturally and comfortably walk at that rate, and I don't think there's any point in making them feel like they are rushing through the camino, not getting the full joy of the camino, etc etc.

I agree with Laurie's statement 100%. Everyone should walk the Camino at their own pace. while most Pilgrims only walk 20-25km's per day, many walk 30-35km's per day. IMO, they both have plenty of time to enjoy the Camino. A lot depends on how many hours you walk along with your pace. If you put in an 8 hour day at 5 km's and two 30 minute breaks you can easily walk 35 km's in a day. I would recommend starting out a little slower in the early days but as your body adjusts you can easily walks these distances or longer without missing anything.

Ultreya,
Joe

I believe your plan is very doable and you will have plenty of opportunity to smell the roses.

Last edited:
Why hurry, My wife did it last year in 5.5 weeks and she had a Great time. I do it next april the same.

I actually met a really nice young lady who started the Camino with a bunch of guys, all of them (her included) recent graduates of the US Air Force Academy. They started with the 26 Day Camino guide you suggested. By the time they made it to Burgos, ALL of them, including this girl, suffered one of more of the following: muscles spasms, cramps, blisters, tendonitis, heel spurs.....named it. She told me the story how most of them had to be off their feet for a t least a couple of days, a few abandoned the Camino, and all those who continued on decided to skipped the Meseta. She was having a hard time completely on her own after starting with a group. She was a fast walker and I don't believe she would had stopped at 22 Kms ever, but the compounded effect of 30+kms every day takes its toll.

I looked at the suggested itinerary and, honestly, whenever it rates the day as "Hard" it should actually say "Brutal"... o_O. I have walked some 30+days and while few and far between, I actually missed exploring some towns, going into some churches, or flat out taking lengthy brakes. Regardless of whether I could do it or not, there is ZERO chance I would want to do it at that pace. Go and walk. If you can make it Santiago, great, if not, do not overwhelmed yourself with expectations -- Don't walk the Camino before walking the Camino.

My advice: IF YOU CAN break the Camino, do it. I started in June 2011 and got to Santiago in July 2014. There were plenty things I did not buy for my savings money were labeled "Camino". Best money I ever spent.

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Part of what I do not want to do, is push it. But, good enough for me has never been good enough.

The key here is a pilgrimage. Otherwise I would agree if I want to walk a lot of miles, there are plenty of trails here in the USA like Cinimod mentioned. It is not harsh, it is the truth.

My last big pilgrimage a few years ago was a 3,100 mile trip to Sainte-Anne-de-Beaupré Shrine of driving and camping with no schedule for 10 days. I have traveled a lot in my life, but a pilgrimage is not just a trip or destination for me. I’ve done some shorter ones also including a plans for a 2-day one.

BTW, Laurie, I would much rather have the extra detail than not. Thanks. Besides… look at this post.

I am aiming at May 2016. I suspect as I prepare more, I’ll know what I can handle. But for now, I am trying to develop a strategy that accomplishes that.

The fact is, my time is limited to 28 days in two trips, unless I put it off for 15 years. To dedicate the amount of time, travel and cost which I intend to would be sorely disappointing to know it was left uncompleted or missed out.

I agree with Al in the fact that I would like to have no schedule. Really, the constraints are 28 days. This leads to how to use them. Options seem to be:

• 26 stage plus 2 to have flexibility in schedule
• Making it shorter by starting in Pamplona
• If I get behind, hop a bus to make up. (then I need determine which areas become the possible buffer areas to skip)

Only you can answer any questions about whether or not you are physically capable of walking the Camino on that schedule. You know your own physical limitations the best, and if you think you can do it, go for it. I would not let fear of injury stop you. You can get injured walking the Camino slow. Everyone is different.
Also only you can answer the question of what you think is a "good pilgrimage". Strictly your opinion.

I say go for it if you think you are fit for it. I walked CF from SJPDP without rushing anything in 23 days. Some here tells me that it was to fast, I could not have enjoyed it and Bla bla bla... I started at the same time as most people in the break of dawn. I did some earlier mornings but that was because I couldn't sleep or the weather forecast was telling me that the mid day would be really hot. I walked an average of 36 km/day. Normally 8 hours per day. But sometimes longer and sometimes shorter. My body is made for walking. I do walk in a natural fast pace. I stopped a lot to take photos and enjoy the surrounding. No I didn't sleept in the same amount of albergues or had dinner at as many restaurants as the slower walker but I did my camino my way and it did it with the capacity my body have. Only you know if you can walk in that pace/distance. Do test walks at home with the shoes and backpack. I can eaily do 40 per day as well and that is what I did this year on Camino de San Salvador + Camino Primitivo. Nemas problemas, just longer days. And I had a lovely time even if some people here tells me that I must have missed so much, I didn't do it "the right way" and so on.

Only you knows what your body can do and only you knows how you want to experience the camino. If a camino family with a lot of people, many many stops with food and drinks and a visit to every museum, church or visitors areas are important then you probably need more than 26 days. If the walking and what you see along the way it self and reaching the goal of the pilgrimage SdC is the most important part you can schedule after that.

Buen Camino.

Last edited:
Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I also agree with Al.

Me and t'other half travelled from SJPDP to Santiago this year part walking / part cycling because we felt the need to get to Santiago but only had 14 stages to spare. It only took us to the end of our walking stages (day 3 in Pamplona) to realise that we could've been a bit more relaxed about it all. Many walkers we spoke to in those first days were only going a part of the way...stopping when their time (usually annual leave) ran out.

Next year we're planning to set off from SJPDP seeing where we get to after 14 days of walking and heading home. Wherever we stop we'll start off from next time.

In the matter of 3 days we went from thinking we had to finish the Camino in one stretch to realising that it's ALL about the journey and not the end point (for us).

So....my advice would be to go for the 26 stage walk see how far you get but don't fret if you don't make it to the end in that time. If you don't, then just look forward to going back to complete it.

Buen camino! (That's what it will be no matter how many stages it takes.)

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
It depends very much on who you are, how fit you are, and what your motivation is, and everyone's driven in a different way.

I'm 69 and I did it in two and a half hours over 26 days from St JPdeP in winter (March) this year and the weather was mostly vile. I stopped in Lavacolla the last night because I was soaked through. I also had half a day's break in Burgos and Ponferrada.

But I've been fortunate enough to travel many places and have come to realise that no matter how marvellous things to see are any where and everywhere, all I can ever retain is a general overview of the experience. I would be overwhelmed even just by the wonders of Pamplona, let alone all the historical marvels of the rest of the trip. For me the joy was more with the sheer beauty of the countryside, walking pre-dawn in the dark then seeing the sunrise over the Meseta, the glint of early morning sun on the snow-covered peaks of the Leon mountains, the sounds of the birds, the streams turned into torrents by heavy rain, the solitude of walking alone day after day, through sunlight on the Rioja and the Meseta, but also (and mostly) through snow, rain, hail, and wind. Also the bustle of activity through the Meseta, as farmers tilled for the new season's crops, meeting and talking with wonderful local people, and the lovely people from all over the world (few as numbers were comparatively speaking at that time of the year), walking the Camino.

Mine was a religious pilgrimage (pending mortality perhaps?) and for me was focussed more on the things I've highlighted rather than a tour of churches and museums. I also had a schedule to meet (SWMBO y mi cunada) but even so doubt whether I would have done the walk any differently. But everyone has to take it their own way.

BTW the photo is looking back over Castrojeriz, one of the few days I was privileged to walk with another pilgrim.

De colores

Bogong

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I just finished the Portuguese in September. Number of pilgrims I passed, 0. Number of pilgrims that passed me, too numerous to count. End results, we all arrived at our destination, Santiago. I'm not a fast walker but once I get tuned in I can go 20, 25, 30 kilometers a day, day in and day out. Set your own pace. Listen and pay attention to what your body is telling you. If you fall behind schedule, bypass a section of the Caminos there's no shame in that. Take a bus or cab or rent a bike for a few days. Remember, if you are after your credential you only have to walk the last 100 kilometers.

There is another option as well of starting at Sahagún and not worry about the first part. If I get done early, continue to “the end of the earth.” This would be more care free and then do the first part later when there is time and just throw out the schedule all together.

I suppose another option is Camino Primitivo

I guess I'll just keep reading and studying more for now.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
My 2 cents. I am 32 and gave myself 30 days to complete the Camino de Santiago from St. Jean. I am from Colorado, great shape, spend time hiking all of the time during the summer and so regretted not giving myself more time. I needed some rest days as my Achilles and knees started giving me some serious issues. Problem is I planned for 30 days only and had a flight to catch. I was forced to stop just before Leon to rest because of some serious swelling. I was able to continue on after that but had to catch a bus to catch up to my 'schedule'. You probably can do it in 26 days yes. If all goes perfectly. But if at all possible give yourself more time than you need. An extra day to relax (if all goes perfectly) is much better than forcing your body to the brink of breaking. Of course if you are doing this for athletic reasons then of course you may want to push it:)

Hi Gabe,

The unknown perils are a whole additional part of the equation as well.

I will only have 14 days to walk max with an extra 3.5 days for travel with a likelihood of not being able to return to the Camino for many years (12 at best) if at all. I will be doing the journey on my own due to personal reasons back home in the USA. I also do not like to have things unfinished or unplanned and be wishing, shoulda, coulda. I visited to many people in nursing homes with this story.

Since the decision to go is made and a rough date picked out (which could change as well if all of a sudden my son or daughter would want to join in) I am considering four options (This is actually pretty small number from where I started as well throws out the option of not going). They all have pros and cons.

1. Start at St Jean Pied de Port and get to wherever…
2. Start at Sahagun, Leon or Ponferrada and go to Santiago
3. Start at SJDP and skip ahead on parts to Santiago only as needed.
4. Do the Camino Primitivo

So, my decision is... not to make a decision right now, move forward with planning and see what additional pros or cons help the best choice to come to the surface. That is one advantage planning now for 2016. From what I read, it sounds like some decisions made on the Camino.

Crossing the Pyrenees is mostly about bragging rights, though the views are something you won't find in Wisconsin! Starting in Leon will give you a few days of rolling hills to get in shape for the highest spot on the Camino at the Cruz de Ferro. You will have the continuity that can be lost by taking a bus across the middle. It is a solid 14 days from Leon to Santiago, and you will pick up companions in Leon, Astorga, Ponferrada, O Cebreiro, and Sarria. It is my favorite repeat Camino.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Thanks Falcon,

I am not a big fan of the option 3 since I think it would tend to water it down.

If, as you say, you are doing this in two parts I don't think 26 days would be too much at all. I also think that completing the full CF would be a more fulfilling experience than plodding along and waiting for a few more years to cover the last section. I would however do a bit of training for it, if you train well enough (and running is good training), covering 30-35km a day is likely to be in your range. I saw a little graffitti along the way when I did it this year, 'la douleur est inevitable, la souffrance est optionelle'. I think a bit of pain makes it into a pilgrimage; rather than a long lunch or plodding along at a snail's pace if you can make better time.

I did it in one hit from SJPDP in 21 days because that would push me and that is a spirituality per se, God whispers to us in our pleasures.... and shouts at us in our pain (CS Lewis). I eventually bumped in to a couple of people who took up the gauntlet and walked with me, so there are very likely to be others who will be doing the journey with you. We really pushed ourselves, and had to put in a couple of 45km+ days, it hurt, but we genuinely did enjoy it. I get that people who are older, or carry injuries need to go slower or send their bags on so that they have a fighting chance of finishing the Camino. I don't get younger souls, getting a massage every other day and covering less than say 20km and having a good few chupitos n cervezas n postres at every meal sitting.

One thing is for sure, with good preparation and with the proviso that you are blessed with no injuries, you can do this in the time frame. Vaya con Dios.

I did it in one hit from SJPDP in 21 days because that would push me and that is a spirituality per se, God whispers to us in our pleasures.... and shouts at us in our pain (CS Lewis).

What you describe fits your Spirituality as it relates more to your personal search and connection to the Camino. I completed the Camino in sections so, unlike you, I can actually talk from experience. EVERY single time, regardless of time span, the Camino delivered. To try to confine and define Camino spirituality to a specific way to walk the Camino really shows little understanding on what spirituality truly is and represents.

I don't get younger souls, getting a massage every other day and covering less than say 20km and having a good few chupitos n cervezas n postres at every meal sitting.

You don't have to get nobody's Camino as much as nobody's gets to judge yours. There are no formulas that guarantee you will end up with a fullfilling pilgrimage. Those you "don't get" may have found a wonderful connection with their bodies, themselves, with others and may had gain personal growth from those experiences. THAT is spirituality.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
The good thing is no matter which option you choose you will have YOUR camino and everyone should walk it in their own way. I don't think you can make a bad decision out of those options that is for sure!

I did it and am older than you, but also a runner and fit. I think we all have to do what works for us and what we are called to do, another time in your life you might want to go slower. But it can be done. I took one bus one day for apx 80k missing a lot of between Burgos and Leon, and walked the rest from SJPP to Santiago in 24 days some of which were very long walks (40k) and some were average (20k). Do what you need to do and Buen Camino!

What you describe fits your Spirituality as it relates more to your personal search and connection to the Camino. I completed the Camino in sections so, unlike you, I can actually talk from experience. EVERY single time, regardless of time span, the Camino delivered. To try to confine and define Camino spirituality to a specific way to walk the Camino really shows little understanding on what spirituality truly is and represents.

You don't have to get nobody's Camino as much as nobody's gets to judge yours. There are no formulas that guarantee you will end up with a fullfilling pilgrimage. Those you "don't get" may have found a wonderful connection with their bodies, themselves, with others and may had gain personal growth from those experiences. THAT is spirituality.

Thank you for your reply to my post. It wasn't a prescription for anyone, rather just my experience which I hoped would help someone who is wondering whether they should attempt a 26 day Camino. Apologies if you felt that that offended against your superior understanding of Spirituality. I promise to try better next time.:)
Vaya con Dios.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Well, a decision has been made. Based upon my support back home, my Camino will be two 14 day trips (plus 3 days travel). This means option 1. Start at St Jean Pied de Port and get to wherever… with a follow up trip to finish.

Another decision was made as well when my significant other asked, “Why wait till 2016 when you are able to go next year?” I guess I am in love just a little bit more.

To celebrate my birthday today, my gift was an Osprey Stratos 36 pack after trying a couple out. I am pretty excited about it, but of course, I want to read more on backpacks now to confirm the best choice seeing how many are going with 28-50. There seems to be large variety of choices. The store is 150 miles from home and their return policy is pretty geerous, but I am feeling confident, this is the right size.

Oh, well more time on the forum. But for now, a big hurdle of 'when and how' is one step behind me! Thanks for everyone’s input.

Part of what I do not want to do, is push it. But, good enough for me has never been good enough.

The key here is a pilgrimage. Otherwise I would agree if I want to walk a lot of miles, there are plenty of trails here in the USA like Cinimod mentioned. It is not harsh, it is the truth.

My last big pilgrimage a few years ago was a 3,100 mile trip to Sainte-Anne-de-Beaupré Shrine of driving and camping with no schedule for 10 days. I have traveled a lot in my life, but a pilgrimage is not just a trip or destination for me. I’ve done some shorter ones also including a plans for a 2-day one.

BTW, Laurie, I would much rather have the extra detail than not. Thanks. Besides… look at this post.

I am aiming at May 2016. I suspect as I prepare more, I’ll know what I can handle. But for now, I am trying to develop a strategy that accomplishes that.

The fact is, my time is limited to 28 days in two trips, unless I put it off for 15 years. To dedicate the amount of time, travel and cost which I intend to would be sorely disappointing to know it was left uncompleted or missed out.

I agree with Al in the fact that I would like to have no schedule. Really, the constraints are 28 days. This leads to how to use them. Options seem to be:

• 26 stage plus 2 to have flexibility in schedule
• Making it shorter by starting in Pamplona
• If I get behind, hop a bus to make up. (then I need determine which areas become the possible buffer areas to skip)
amigo, if you are so time limited, I think it does make sense to start in Pamplona and, if you feel fit and do great, maybe consider walking further to Fisterra, Land's End, or "El fin del mundo" (the end of the world). Do not push yourself too much, your approach changes a lot as your pilgrimage is nearer; it is very different to plan things in your home with a computer and probably excess information, and once you are in the Camino. I find I can only plan 2 or 3 stages ahead, and even then I am flexible depending on how my body acts, the weather, bad/good experiences along the way... once in the Camino, my "event horizon" is 2, maybe 3 days ahead, anything else is just whatever comes up. Buen camino!

Well, a decision has been made. Based upon my support back home, my Camino will be two 14 day trips (plus 3 days travel). This means option 1. Start at St Jean Pied de Port and get to wherever… with a follow up trip to finish.

Another decision was made as well when my significant other asked, “Why wait till 2016 when you are able to go next year?” I guess I am in love just a little bit more.

To celebrate my birthday today, my gift was an Osprey Stratos 36 pack after trying a couple out. I am pretty excited about it, but of course, I want to read more on backpacks now to confirm the best choice seeing how many are going with 28-50. There seems to be large variety of choices. The store is 150 miles from home and their return policy is pretty geerous, but I am feeling confident, this is the right size.

Oh, well more time on the forum. But for now, a big hurdle of 'when and how' is one step behind me! Thanks for everyone’s input.
amigo, I think you can try your Osprey at home where you are are and see how it feels. To me, my current rucksack is the best I ever had, and I only bought it because it was the only one they had in the shop at the time. Just lucky! I personally would not have the patience to wait till 2016...

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Well, I made the decision to go for it. I plan to do the Camino in two parts due to schedule and such. For more detail, you can see my post at https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...reaking-the-journey-in-two.29540/#post-249731. I started this new thread as this is similar but different and next part of my decision.

Fast background: I’m 49 and pretty decent shape. I completed a 5k race this last month under 25 minutes. Yes, hiking is different than running and this is not a race, but it gives you something to gauge health and ability on.

I found a 26 stage walk at http://santiago.forwalk.org/en/trail/26-days-to-santiago/ that would give a 2 day buffer for breaks or slower pace.

• How realistic do you think this schedule is and does it give time to have a good pilgrimage?
• Am I better off skipping a section or two and slow down?
• Hopefully, I can do it and do it right. If it becomes too tight, where do you make it up?

a guide for 29 to 36 stages http://santiago.forwalk.org/en/route/the-french-way/

Just keep in mind that plans change. I entered my camino thinking I would really bust it out. I'm 30, run multiple half-marathons each year with a maintenance run of 10 miles each week. I spend my weekends hiking the Rockies. I planned to conquer the camino. BUT I discovered that a leisurely camino was for me. I'm just saying that - what's that saying? God laughs at our plans.

Just keep in mind that plans change. I entered my camino thinking I would really bust it out. I'm 30, run multiple half-marathons each year with a maintenance run of 10 miles each week. I spend my weekends hiking the Rockies. I planned to conquer the camino. BUT I discovered that a leisurely camino was for me. I'm just saying that - what's that saying? God laughs at our plans.

That right about plans :) I just got the OK for another day. It is only one day but it gives me 15 to see how far I get on my first walk. I would love to do leisurely and maybe will. The chances of returning after completing the Camino (in 2 trips) for me is at least not until I turn 65 due to family and work issues and being in the USA.

I hope to have tickets purchased in the next two weeks. It is looking like maybe into France now because of the timing and leaving from Madrid to go home.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hi Wil,
I have read your other thread as well and see your way of thinking , possibly squeezing two trips into one. The Frances took me 33 days from Roncesvalles , that is to say , more than a half marathon EVERY DAY.
Whatever you decide , I would suggest that you start off by walking 25Km a day and just take things as they come. Sahagun in 15 days sounds good to me but don't start off with 40km a day in a panic.

Are you serious?
I do think that that first day has put an end to many a Camino before it has hardly started. My long Caminos have always started at Roncesvalles and even that first day was tough enough for me.:) ...........and I brag about the whole camino.;)

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I have to agree with AJ my wife and I walked from St Jean to Roncesvalles on our first day and it was by far the best part of the Camino. We are both over 60 and it wasn't that much of a challenge except for the downhill to Roncesvalles.

My husband carried a Stratos 36 and I a Sirrus(womens version)36 for our Sept/Oct. Camino this year. Believe me, we purchased and returned more than I can count before deciding these were the best fit. Every person is different, but after finishing our Camino, we were convinced it was the best choice for us.

Just an update...

I watched the Camino documentary that just came out and the comment was made, "I think you better figure 30 days." WOOHOO. Still a bit short, but will make a big difference. Not only is it next year, but more time to do it.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back