• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

SJPDP-SDC in 32 days-is this realistic?

HBS60

Time of past OR future Camino
August 2024 (planned)
I’m planning to do my Camino in August of this year. For very personal reasons, I have to start on August 11 and finish in September 11, as these are important grieving anniversaries (My SO was hospitalized in August 11 and died on September 11, this was 10 years ago, and is NOT the American 9/11 which was on a different year). I’ve struggled with the grieving process during this decade and I’m at the point that this feels like an appropriate way of transitioning to a new stage of my life. For reasons that aren’t completely clear to me, I am feeling an overpowering urge to do this camino this year, almost like some force is beckoning me to do this then.

The question is, can I do this in 32 days or is this unrealistic?

Since I know things can happen (injuries, illness, etc), that may result in delays, I’m thinking of a plan B, which would be starting as I intend on August 11, and perhaps being at Cruz de Ferro on September 11 (I already have a special stone for the occasion) if it become obvious I won’t make it to SDC in time for September 11. How many days it usually takes to reach Cruz de Ferro?

Also, how much further it is to reach SCD from Cruz de Ferro? I need to know so I have an idea on when to book the outgoing flights.

Maybe I need to figure out where else I could be on that date that would be significant. Then again, this being the Camino, who knows what will actually happen!

Thanks!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
It's doable, but not worth risking injury by rushing. How about giving yourself a cushion and start closer to Santiago? Pamplona or Logroño would be good starting points.

Cruz de Ferro is on Gronze's stage 24. If you decide on that for September 11 you could start from St Jean Pied de Port and take it a bit easier.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Gronze.com divides it into 33 stages. Depends on how many miles you feel you can cover. 32 days would be about 15 miles a day, every day with no rest. For me (now 76), that’s a lot. I did my first Camino in 2015. I had 36 walking days, and 5 rest days. I’ve done it 3 times since, all at a MUCH slower pace, because I wanted to “smell the roses”, so to speak. I am sure many will say that it is very doable in that length of time. In 2022, I was following a guy from, I think, Australia, on a Camino Facebook page. He finished in 26. I often wonder if he did anything other than walk, walk, walk. I don’t know how old he was - not a youngster by any means. He used to start every day WAY before sunrise. Not my cup of tea.

If you needed to, you could skip a few stages, or parts of stages to keep you on track, unless of course, you’ve decided to do every single inch.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Also keep travel time in mind to get to and from your start and end points. I agree starting at Pamplona or Logroño would give your a cushion. Both are easier to get to than SJPDP by bus or train. Also have you considered ending on your preferred date at Finesterre or Muxia? Santiago is wonderful and the other two destinations offer a real feeling of finality as well.

Cruz de Fero to Santiago can be like 10 days or likely more for me. Others could perhaps do it much quicker. I don't like to hurry in my Camino, but rather take it in and enjoy each little community and its people.

Going with an expectation and a timeline is difficult, but necessary for some.

I’m planning to do my Camino in August of this year. For very personal reasons, I have to start on August 11 and finish in September 11, as these are important grieving anniversaries (My SO was hospitalized in August 11 and died on September 11, this was 10 years ago, and is NOT the American 9/11 which was on a different year). I’ve struggled with the grieving process during this decade and I’m at the point that this feels like an appropriate way of transitioning to a new stage of my life. For reasons that aren’t completely clear to me, I am feeling an overpowering urge to do this camino this year, almost like some force is beckoning me to do this then.

Since I know things can happen (injuries, illness, etc), that may result in delays, I’m thinking of a plan B, which would be starting as I intend on August 11, and perhaps being at Cruz de Ferro on September 11 (I already have a special stone for the occasion) if it become obvious I won’t make it to SDC in time for September 11. How many days it usually takes to reach Cruz de Ferro?

Also, how much further it is to reach SCD from Cruz de Ferro? I need to know so I have an idea on when to book the outgoing flights.

Maybe I need to figure out where else I could be on that date that would be significant. Then again, this being the Camino, who knows what will actually happen!

Thanks!
If you put your mind to it, you WILL achieve your goal.
My brother and I managed it in 30 days from August 26 to September 26.
Go well and do it!🇳🇿😎

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
My first time I was out of shape and started slowly, and did it in 31 days, if that helps. Don't worry too much about making miles at the start.
Yes, this is important, I think. In the beginning of your Camino, consider walking shorter distances than the usual guidebook distances of roughly 12-15 miles. Give your body a chance to acclimate and discover what is comfortable for you. If all goes well, as your Camino progresses you will get stronger and be able to walk farther each day. Avoid injury in the beginning.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Yes it is, or has potential to be realistic. Knowing that you will need to count on an average of 25km per day ought to temper your speed if you want to make it to Santiago in one piece. Unless you have the ability, keep that average as your norm. I banked two rest days, and they are still waiting for me.
It strikes me you have worked this out in your head. That is where your feet take orders from. Keep that well balanced, and practise as much as you can in this intervening time. Buen camino, and may it be as you hope.

You have told us nothing about your physical condition or walking experience, so we cannot know.

I am inclined to think this is an overly ambitious plan, and that you would be better able to appreciate your pilgrimage if you were not under such pressure. You have enough challenges with figuring out your backpack, CPAP, etc. Starting further ahead, say at Pamplona would be my recommendation.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
It's absolutely doable, providing you don't get an injury.

You can probably reduce the risk of injury or exhaustion by not doing the Napoleon route and by taking care on other hilly parts, travel light, and consider sending your bags ahead using a transfer service. On flat stages, walk further on certain days and at a leisurely pace to ensure you reach your goal.

You see people rushing ahead sometimes, but many of them are just covering the same stages recommended by gronze or have in their heads their preferred hostal might be full. If money isn't a concern you don't have such concerns as you can always pay for a private room or get a taxi if you find yourself stuck somewhere with no accommodation and don't want to walk further that day.

You have told us nothing about your physical condition or walking experience, so we cannot know.

I am inclined to think this is an overly ambitious plan, and that you would be better able to appreciate your pilgrimage if you were not under such pressure. You have enough challenges with figuring out your backpack, CPAP, etc. Starting further ahead, say at Pamplona would be my recommendation.
Thanks for all the replies!
About my health: I just turned 64, and I have been walking daily 1-3 miles for the last 3 years (maybe 4), without missing a day except for bad weather. I do live in FL which is flat so I’m less experienced with walking hills. I have been working out at the gym since last April and while I haven’t been successful in getting rid of my belly fat, my last set of labs (last October) was perfect. I have history of high triglycerides, high fasting sugar, borderline creatinine (kidney function), but all of these numbers were perfect because I’ve been working out. I do have minor ailments like BPH, acid reflux, and of course sleep apnea, which actually is mild.

I did see a podiatrist yesterday because I have a mild issue with my right foot and was worried about needing surgery, but I just need some inserts.

Since I won’t start the camino until August, I have 6 months to prepare, which I intend to do by rucksacking in the FL heat.

Psychologically, I have a tenacity and resiliency because of struggling with PTSD, for which I’ve had lots of therapy, so I’m no stranger to struggling with self-doubt and fear and feel zero shame about asking for help or expressing my emotions. I do have a stubborn streak, which can work for or against me depending on my level of wisdom, which some days is better than others.

While I still want to try my Aug 11-Sept 11 schedule, I want to remain flexible and adapt as needed. I want to have the mindset of learning whatever lessons the Camino can teach me. In Spanish, we have an expression: “el hombre propone, Dios dispone” which means “mans proposes, God decides”.

Thanks for all the replies!
About my health: I just turned 64, and I have been walking daily 1-3 miles for the last 3 years (maybe 4), without missing a day except for bad weather. I do live in FL which is flat so I’m less experienced with walking hills. I have been working out at the gym since last April and while I haven’t been successful in getting rid of my belly fat, my last set of labs (last October) was perfect. I have history of high triglycerides, high fasting sugar, borderline creatinine (kidney function), but all of these numbers were perfect because I’ve been working out. I do have minor ailments like BPH, acid reflux, and of course sleep apnea, which actually is mild.

I did see a podiatrist yesterday because I have a mild issue with my right foot and was worried about needing surgery, but I just need some inserts.

Since I won’t start the camino until August, I have 6 months to prepare, which I intend to do by rucksacking in the FL heat.

Psychologically, I have a tenacity and resiliency because of struggling with PTSD, for which I’ve had lots of therapy, so I’m no stranger to struggling with self-doubt and fear and feel zero shame about asking for help or expressing my emotions. I do have a stubborn streak, which can work for or against me depending on my level of wisdom, which some days is better than others.

While I still want to try my Aug 11-Sept 11 schedule, I want to remain flexible and adapt as needed. I want to have the mindset of learning whatever lessons the Camino can teach me. In Spanish, we have an expression: “el hombre propone, Dios dispone” which means “mans proposes, God decides”.
Exactly! Same in English!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Addendum to my above response:
I like the idea of being at Cruz de Ferro on September 11, walking the 10 days to Santiago would put me around September 21-22, which would be the autumn equinox, that might feel significant. I also would consider walking to Muxia (how many days is that? I don’t see that as a stage in Gronze).

Digressing a little, I noticed that SJPDP is a stone throw’s distance from Cambo Les Bains, which is the place where the Spanish piano composer Isaac Albeniz spent his last days. I’m a devoted amateur classical pianist and have played several of his compositions, and I’m thinking of arriving to SJPDP a few days earlier to get acclimated, recover from jet lag, and take a train to C-L-B which is just like 30 km to look around a bit. I haven’t purchased plane tickets yet as I dont’ know what I will actually do, so I’m brainstorming all these ideas.

Thanks for the excellent feedback!

Depending on your fitness and health-status it's totally doable.
I was almost 50, fairly fit in 2019 and walked in 27 days SJPdP to SdC while it was 95-100F most of the time.

From SdC you will walk 3-5 days to Muxia, depending on your pace.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Addendum to my above response:
I like the idea of being at Cruz de Ferro on September 11, walking the 10 days to Santiago would put me around September 21-22, which would be the autumn equinox, that might feel significant. I also would consider walking to Muxia (how many days is that? I don’t see that as a stage in Gronze).

Digressing a little, I noticed that SJPDP is a stone throw’s distance from Cambo Les Bains, which is the place where the Spanish piano composer Isaac Albeniz spent his last days. I’m a devoted amateur classical pianist and have played several of his compositions, and I’m thinking of arriving to SJPDP a few days earlier to get acclimated, recover from jet lag, and take a train to C-L-B which is just like 30 km to look around a bit. I haven’t purchased plane tickets yet as I dont’ know what I will actually do, so I’m brainstorming all these ideas.

Thanks for the excellent feedback!
I think you’ve sorted it out for yourself. Go to CLB and pay proper tribute to Albeniz. You’ll be glad you did. Then get transport to Logrono and fulfill your other obligation by walking from there. You can always come back another time to complete SJPdP to Logrono. Good luck and let us know how you get on.

Thanks!
yes it is possible to cover the distance in that time..but that time may become a pressure of time..I believe the Camino is an unencumbered journey with my backpack the only thing weighing me down...yet, as I have said before on this Forum the Camino is unique to each pilgrim....no rule or demands other than those you place upon yourself.....

My husband and I walked from SJPP to SDC in 32 days with one rest day in Leon. in 2018). He was 71 and I was 62. We took it slow at first and built up to longer distances. We are fairly active. I walked daily, him not so much. It was very doable. We live in a relatively flat area and had to search out to find elevation. But admittedly not as flat as Florida.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
It can be done. I did in in 31 days, which included one day of rest in Leon while I waited for my daughter to arrive so we could walk the rest of the way together. I started August 25, 2023, and walked into Santiago September 25, 2023.

I took 25 days to walk from SJPDP to Santiago on my first Camino. 30 days on my most recent. So I think it is possible. But others take 45 or even 60 days and feel that is about right. Only you can judge what is an appropriate daily distance for yourself.

I took 25 days to walk from SJPDP to Santiago on my first Camino. 30 days on my most recent. So I think it is possible. But others take 45 or even 60 days and feel that is about right. Only you can judge what is an appropriate daily distance for yourself.
Yes, we only walk a max of 10 miles per day when my husband and to walk together so it takes a lot longer than 32 days for us.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
It's definitely possible to walk the CF in 32 days without getting too exhausted or hurt, but listen to your body and adjust distances based on your health and fitness. This timeframe balances physical challenge with introspective reflection, it will offer you ample time for quiet contemplation and inner discovery, all while enjoying the invigorating rhythm of the trail.

Some days might call for more ambitious stints (30-40km), but remember to prioritize your well-being throughout the journey.

Check this out (apologies it's in mixed language):

I can PM you my itinerary and where I stayed as well.

Buen Camino.

Last edited by a moderator:
About my health: I just turned 64, and I have been walking daily 1-3 miles for the last 3 years
I would increase the daily distance to 5 miles/8 km with occasional 10 - 15 mile/16 - 24 km days.

. I also would consider walking to Muxia (how many days is that? I don’t see that as a stage in Gronze).

You can walk it in three days, but taking four is much nicer.

I like the idea of being at Cruz de Ferro on September 11, walking the 10 days to Santiago would put me around September 21-22, which would be the autumn equinox, that might feel significant.
That sounds like an excellent plan - you can take it easy, and take a rest day or two to time your arrival at Cruz de Ferro.

I like your plan B, especially the symbolism of leaving the stone at Cruz de Ferro on Sept. 11 and then continuing onto Santiago. It symbolizes the time you and your wife spent together (up to Cruz de Ferro), and then the time with your wife away but always in your heart (from CDF to Santiago). Don't rush the journey. Take the needed rest days, for both your physical and your emotional well being.

I planned on walking the Portuguese solo to honor the memory of my son and be alone with my thoughts. I didn't work out that way because several people wanted to join me at different points throughout the Camino. I still had a wonderful time, but it wasn't the introspective journey I thought it would be.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Thanks!
I have walked CF five times and had a rest day or two and always made it to Santiago in 30 to 32 days. The weather is a factor , I don’t like walking on the rain.

As many others have said, that's totally do-able. Just prepare to be flexible. Here are a few thoughts for consideration:

- You might want to include one or even more recovery days on the front end to get over jet lag. Some people can hit the ground running right after a transatlantic flight. I am not one of them.
- If Aug. 11 is your launch date out of SJPdP, then try to arrive in SJPdP NLT Aug. 10 so you have a full day to walk on Aug. 11. And SJPdP is a pretty cool place to check out.
- Do not stop at Orisson for the night. On day 1, head directly to Roncevalles on either of the two routes.
- By the time you get to Burgos, barring any injuries, chance are good that you will be feeling strong. There are a few stages after Burgos that you might consider stretching from 20 to 30 km.
- Consider squeezing in a rest day, maybe two if you find yourself ahead on your itinerary. There is much discussion on the forum about where best to stop. Burgos, Leon, and Astorga are frequently mentioned.
- If you do get injured, stop and rest. There's no point in making it worse. If you find yourself behind schedule and the desire to arrive on your target date outweighs your desire to walk every inch of The Way, grab a taxi.

I frame out a draft itinerary using the Brierly stages, but only to keep an eye on my progress. I loathe keeping to a schedule on the Camino, but my my wife and employer do expect me to return eventually,. I look forward to retirement and being able to walk with fewer scheduling constraints.

I did my 3rd Camino, at 75, starting in SJPP in 32 days. Carried my backpack EFI.

My 4th Camino was more difficult. At 77 I started in Pamplona, got injured. Stopped in Astorga for medical treatment for three days. Still finished and walked on to Muxia. Much more difficult. Had my backpack transported from Astorga onward.

Next year I plan to do it again at age 82. My first Camino I was 57. It gets more difficult as I age (who knew).

The walk is magical, forget about the days. One day at a time. The Camino provides.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I did that same route in exactly 32 days in Sep/Oct 2021 at age 66, with no rest days. I did stay at Orisson the first night at my wife’s insistence. She wasn’t with me - just concerned for me overdoing it on my first day. After 3 hours of walking, I arrived feeling like I had just wasted half a day that I could have still been hiking! I should mention that I had been training on the Appalachian Trail for several months, as it runs right past my house.

I had no health issues, so after the first week I increased my daily distance to 25-32 km per day, depending on where I wanted to stop. That was on average - my longest day on the flattish Meseta was 38km.

I’m not sure of the exact distance from Cruz de Ferro to SdC, but according to the godesalco.com Planificador it’s 242 km (~150mi) from Foncebadón which is a few km east of Cruz de Ferro. I arrived in Foncebadón on day 23 of my Camino, so passed Cruz de Ferro the morning of day 24 If that helps with your planning.

Thanks!
I am sorry for your loss. On each of my Caminos I have met pilgrims who were dealing with grief as they walked. I walked from SJPP to Santiago in 33 days in August/ September, 2017 when I was 66. I did it again this past year in July/August at 72, also in 33 days. I feel confident I could have made it in 32. If you plan to be at Cruz de Ferro on September 11, you will still have nine days before you reach Santiago. You could plan for 32 days, but keep that plan B in mind in case you find yourself needing more rest or are unable to make the necessary mileage to reach Santiago in 32 days. My best for a truly Buen Camino.

. I did stay at Orisson the first night at my wife’s insistence. She wasn’t with me - just concerned for me overdoing it on my first day. After 3 hours of walking, I arrived feeling like I had just wasted half a day that I could have still been hiking!
A good illustration of why there is no simple answer to many of the questions people ask here. I have seen people posting here and elsewhere that it is essential to stop in Borda or Orisson and impossible to walk from SJPDP to Roncesvalles in a single day, even though a couple of hundred seem to manage it most days every summer. Personally I can't imagine walking from SJPDP to Orisson then stopping there. What would I do with the rest of my day? Without knowing someone's previous experience and current fitness it is impossible to say if a proposed walk is practical for them.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Thanks for the reassuring responses.
I was planning to arrive to SJPDP Thursday or Friday, spend a few days to get over jet lag, maybe going over to Cambo des Baines in memory of Albeniz (I mentioned this either above in this thread or perhaps another one). I was planning to start the walk on Sunday, August 11, but only to Orisson, as I didn’t want to overdo it at first. Short days to begin with, until I could get into my Camino legs, then I would push harder as tolerated, but it would be a “play by ear” situation. As I advance, I would have a better idea of where I would be on September 11, either Cruz de Ferro, or if I’m doing very well, I might make it to Santiago by then. I would tack on Muxia/Finisterre at the end depending on when I arrive to Santiago, but that’s optional. I was planning the return plane ticket to be on Sunday, September 15, to give me a few days buffer, but. I might revise that if on the 11th I’m at Cruz de Ferro and still have 10 days to go to Santiago. Good thing I haven’t purchased air tickets yet, as I’m in the brainstorming stage.

Thanks!
I walked it last May-June in 32 days, just shy of my 65 birthday. That's all the time I had off from work. I found the first week a little difficult but then settled into a rhythm and had no problems after that. It would have been nice to stay at Orisson or Borda to break up the first day but I only had the 32 days.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Thanks!

Thanks!
Yes, it is doable...if all goes to plan! Although 32 days is a very fast journey, and one which would require a very good level of fitness and good health. However, with all the best intentions, things don't always go to plan. On my Camino in May last year, illness and injuries struck which put my plans into disarray. What was fortunate however was that I thankfully had allowed myself the time to cover for those problems. As much as the destination of Santiago is the objective, the journey there is the real prize. It's a magnificent experience, and one which I would highly recommend not to rush, or, if you are fortunate enough to have that luxury of no time constraints, go slower and enjoy all the Camino has to offer.

Thanks!
You can do it, I'm 67 and did it in 29 days carrying almost 10kg. We did several 30km days back to back and a good 40km day all in 35-36 deg heat. Start early, before sun up! It seems to me everyone focuses on distance whereas we looked at how long it would take, so if we arrived at an albergue or town that didn't take our fancy we'd think in terms of how many hours of walking to the next one on the map, it seemed less daunting to think, "it's only another hour's walk to X rather than thinking it's another 5 or 6 km" needless to say, time passes quickly when you're walking through such stunning landscapes with a camera and good company! (I came back with over 4000 photos!) Go for it, sensibly! Buen Camino

In 2013 I did my first Camino in May and turned 76 in June. I took two rest days and arrived in SDC in 32 days. I had no idea of what to expect when I began but I believe you can do this. Since then I have returned doing my latest from LePuy, France to SJPDP in 2023. In between I have done the Frances and twice from LePuy to Santiago. And I and not a young chicken. You’ve got this! Buen Camino

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Yes, it's doable. You can walk as far and as fast as you want, the route it's plenty of places to stay. Forwalk divides the way into 31 stages (25/30 km per day). It really depends on how much you are able to walk in a day and be comfortable. Take a look at Forwalk, it is a great app with maps, useful tips, information about the different stages and a list of accommodation along the Way https://app.forwalk.org/2/1/en/19/#-4.9/42.7/6/180

Thanks!
I did it

Thanks!
i did it in 33 days but only because I slowed down for some friends to catch up so we could walk into SdC together. I could have easily done it in 30 days and I also didn’t take any rest days.

32 days is certainly realistic ... for some. Perhaps for many. My teenage son and I took 37 days from Roncesvalles to Santiago. We found that his feet did not fare well with the daily distances that would have got us there in 31 or 32 days. But be shortening the days a bit and lengthening the trip he was able to manage them. We weren't the only ones who needed that long.

If this is your first Camino, only by walking will you find what is realistic. On future Caminos you are likely to have a better idea going in.

Thanks for all the valuable feedback, much appreciated!

The deed is done…

I booked the flights! Oh dear God, what am I doing? There’s no turning back!

I arrive in Madrid on August 7, and will fly out September 24, which means 45 days if I start at SJPDP on August 11. I upgraded my tickets so I‘m allowed to make changes with fare differential, but who knows! My flight into Madrid arrives at 6 AM, so hopefully I can catch the early train to Pamplona before the bus for SJPDP leaves. Unfortunately, it’s too soon to be able to reserve train/bus tickets, I’ll try to do so when this is available. Not sure if it’s safe to wait until the last moment or simply show up.

Thanks for all the valuable support!

Thanks for all the valuable feedback, much appreciated!

The deed is done…

I booked the flights! Oh dear God, what am I doing? There’s no turning back!

I arrive in Madrid on August 7, and will fly out September 24, which means 45 days if I start at SJPDP on August 11. I upgraded my tickets so I‘m allowed to make changes with fare differential, but who knows! My flight into Madrid arrives at 6 AM, so hopefully I can catch the early train to Pamplona before the bus for SJPDP leaves. Unfortunately, it’s too soon to be able to reserve train/bus tickets, I’ll try to do so when this is available. Not sure if it’s safe to wait until the last moment or simply show up.

Thanks for all the valuable support!
The early train usually leaves from Atocha station downtown at 7:35 (might be different in fall, but that is the same time as it was last summer) I would not buy a ticket in advance unless you know you can make that. It is about a 30 minute ride from the airport to Atocha on the Cercanias train from the T4 terminal. There are other trains which can get you into Pamplona, but not in time to catch bus to SJPDP. Might be best to just stay over in Pamplona or Madrid for a night. The train takes about 3 hours (give or take) and the train station is not co-located with the bus station in Pamplona. The 7:35 train gets in about 10:30 and there is time to walk up the hill and into town to catch the bus.

I arrive in Madrid on August 7, and will fly out September 24, which means 45 days if I start at SJPDP on August 11. I upgraded my tickets so I‘m allowed to make changes with fare differential, but who knows! My flight into Madrid arrives at 6 AM, so hopefully I can catch the early train to Pamplona before the bus for SJPDP leaves

That plan gives you several days in SJPdP before you start your Camino. Why not stay near the train station in Madrid for a night or two? You don't need to get to SJPdP until the 10th since you plan to start walking on the 11th.

The early train usually leaves from Atocha station downtown at 7:35 (might be different in fall, but that is the same time as it was last summer) I would not buy a ticket in advance unless you know you can make that. It is about a 30 minute ride from the airport to Atocha on the Cercanias train from the T4 terminal. There are other trains which can get you into Pamplona, but not in time to catch bus to SJPDP. Might be best to just stay over in Pamplona or Madrid for a night. The train takes about 3 hours (give or take) and the train station is not co-located with the bus station in Pamplona. The 7:35 train gets in about 10:30 and there is time to walk up the hill and into town to catch the bus.
I am concerned that I might not be able to make it to the 7:35 train if my plane is delayed or if clearing customs takes too long, so it looks like I can always get a later train to Pamplona and spend the night there. Is it easy or difficult to buy a train ticket right then and there, or is it better to reserve ahead of time?

That plan gives you several days in SJPdP before you start your Camino. Why not stay near the train station in Madrid for a night or two? You don't need to get to SJPdP until the 10th since you plan to start walking on the 11th.
I was planning to get to SJPDP as soon as possible so I can “crash”, rest as much as possible, maybe do a side trip to Cambo Des Baines, (totally optional), so I can be as rested as possible on the 11th. It looks like I’ll probably travel from MAD to Pamplona, spend the night, then onwards to SJPDP. All that being said, I’m aware that I need to be flexible and go with the flow, and see what happens!

You can do it either way. If you have flexibility, you can buy a Tarjeta Dorada (older person discount card) at the train station and then buy your train ticket and you will get a discount. You can only buy the Tarjeta Dorada in person though. If you buy in advance you will also get a discount as the sooner you buy the cheaper the tickets. I usually use an app called Trainline to track and buy my train and sometimes my bus tickets. I would not buy a ticket for the 7:35 train in advance though if you are not getting into Madrid airport until 6 a.m.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Glad to meet you Senor HBS60! I was planning to take the train from MAD to Pamplona (I love trains) but a forum member here suggested that flying made more sense, considering that I was unfamiliar with the bus/train system in Spain. They were right in that it was much easier since I did not need to worry about going from the airport to the train station in Madrid. I just stayed in the airport and waited for my late afternoon flight from MAD to PNA.

Flights within Europe are much less expensive that flights within the US. I paid $86 for the MAD to PNA flight in Sept. 2023. If you are interested, in flying within the EU take a look at this site:
https://www.skyscanner.com/

Also, keep in mind the weather will be very hot throughout your camino (but as you are living in FL you may be immune LOL).

I am sorry for your loss, my friend.

Thanks!
Husband(62)and I(56)never walked before and did it in 31 days of walking and 2 rest days (33 total).

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
I did it in 34 with 2 rest days. 2 short walk days and 3 over 30K days. So, 32 days could be doable. I did not feel rushed. I was incredibly present. I met many pilgrims and have had some lasting connections. Solo walked and walked with others, depending on whatever the Camino had for me. I didn't plan my stages before I started and I listened to my body. Carried my own pack, no bag transfer. I didn't book my return ticket until I got to Santiago, so I could have taken as long as I wanted but what it ended up being was because that's what my body and soul led it to be. It's very possible to walk in this amount of time and not have a rushed experience.

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Thanks!
Yes HBS60 it´s realistic, it´s perfect! Buen camino!

Thanks!
Honestly, there are a lot of factors to consider. Luggage transfer? Number of K’s per day? Weather, injury, fatigue, seeing sights…

I did the complete trek in 26 days, then went on to Finesterra and Muxia in 31 days total last summer. I had no rest days, so again, it all depends on so many factors.

My advice, set your goal and stick with it. The Camino is healing and you’ll be surprised how much you can do, when you think you have no energy left. Trust the way, trust yourself, and love yourself for doing it.

Buen Camino 🥾

Thanks!
Hello,
First I must apologies for my bad English. I walked the camino from sjpd on the fourth march 2013 and walked him to santiago in 24 days in bad weather. My wife walked him in 2008 in 29 days. It’s doable but don’t worry, you always can take parts of de camino with bus or train. It’s the way that you walk and not de the destination. Ones you walked him you get stucked on him. Enjoy the way, bon Camino.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Do you want time to reflect and process, or do you want to be running to the next bed?
One can experience an entire Camino of reflection and processing in 32 days. It's more about the person and how open and present they are. I went with no return ticket and reached Santiago from SJPP in 34 days. Only 2 rest days and a mix of short days, average days and longer walk days. I listened to what my body wanted to do each day.

It is realistic IF you are used to doing the mileage (or nearly so). Why not start out, and if a couple of weeks in it's not working for you, take a bus ahead an appropriate amount and pick up the trail again (100 km from Santiago, of course, if you want to earn the Compostela). You do NOT need to follow "stages" as some guidebooks set up their books, stay wherever along the route works for you.

€83,-
Do you want time to reflect and process, or do you want to be running to the next bed?
Walking long days doesn't preclude one from reflecting and processing. Perhaps it even gives you more time on the trail each day to do so.
But I really don't understand what all this "processing" is about. The Camino is quite simple - walk, eat, sleep, repeat.

Walking long days doesn't preclude one from reflecting and processing. Perhaps it even gives you more time on the trail each day to do so.
But I really don't understand what all this "processing" is about. The Camino is quite simple - walk, eat, sleep, repeat.
...and in the repetition of those daily activities, the space is created for whatever awarenesses/reflections etc that may come up, which one takes time to meditate on/process - whatever words one would use to describe such. That is also as simple as the walking, eating, and sleeping. That may not happen for you, but it's certainly not hard to understand in the context of the Camino.

Is it doable, yes, totally (providing you have some decent level of fitness).
Is it advisable? Now there's a different question. The first time I did the camino I was also dealing with grief. It was hard emotionally as well as physically. For me it was important to take time then to visit churches, stop and have moments of contemplation, and at points have some hard bit ultimately liberating conversations with others. This all takes time, and at least for me in order to feel comfortable with others to have those conversations it takes some time to build a bond, and that requires you to walk at the same speed as other people - which is definitely easier to do if you go at "average" pace.
It doesn't sound like this is important to you for what you're trying to achieve but also keep in mind it may mean you don't have the time (or the energy) to really see the cities, museums, etc.
If you are determined to get to Santiago, ask yourself if for you personally it's more comfortable to walk about the average every day, or if you'd rather also have some shorter "rest" days. I walked from SJPP to Santiago in 32 days last year (second time) but my daily distance varied between 14 and 36km, since for me it helps a lot to have those shorter days.
Also keep in mind - Augustus is likely to be hot. Will you be comfortable walking in the heat of the day, or alternatively getting up before sunrise? (personally those lonely hours in the dark were very helpful for processing, but that is me)
Finally I obviously can't predict your emotional reactions - but for me both times on the Frances Cruz de Ferro felt way more impactful and emotional than reaching Santiago. The idea of letting go for me was just very powerful.
I hope you find what you are looking for.

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Thanks!
When you feel that call, listen to it! ❤️ I did my first Camino Frances in 34 days. That Camino was a bit all over the place due to injuries, food poisoning, many unexpected rest days, jumping ahead to catch people, etc.

I’m guessing you’ve done the math, but you’d need to average around 25km (15.5 miles) per day to do it in 32 days. That’s a pretty average tempo, although it all depends on you of course.

For your Plan B, getting to Cruz de Ferro in 32 days is very doable. It’s around 554km from SJPP, so you’d need to average just over 17km (10.5 miles) per day to get there in 32 days.

I’d say to keep your pack light (~5kg or ~11lbs without water if you can), use hiking sticks, train up in the time you I have, and take it as it comes. You never know what the Camino holds. 🥰

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Of course. Quite doable. If you do not count the water.
Does not make a difference if you walk a Camino of 5 days or 32 days.
Especially in the summer when you don’t need heavy clothes. (Ultra) lightweight versions of towels, sandals, sleeping liners, jackets, etc make all the difference.

It's definitely possible to walk the CF in 32 days without getting too exhausted or hurt, but listen to your body and adjust distances based on your health and fitness. This timeframe balances physical challenge with introspective reflection, it will offer you ample time for quiet contemplation and inner discovery, all while enjoying the invigorating rhythm of the trail.

Some days might call for more ambitious stints (30-40km), but remember to prioritize your well-being throughout the journey.

Check this out (apologies it's in mixed language):

I can PM you my itinerary and where I stayed as well.

Buen Camino.
Can you PM me your itinerary and nightly stays? I will be waking end of May to early July.

Well, I met a woman who was walking to "process" some grief and turmoil in her life, and she wanted to take time each day to sit and write/journal about what was coming up. Other people might speak into a recording device.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
One can experience an entire Camino of reflection and processing in 32 days. It's more about the person and how open and present they are. I went with no return ticket and reached Santiago from SJPP in 34 days. Only 2 rest days and a mix of short days, average days and longer walk days. I listened to what my body wanted to do each day.
Exactly. People are all so different! That's why I find questions about "how long should this take" or "what shoes should I wear" rather confusing. :)

Thanks for all the replies! Very helpful and much appreciated.
I purchased the plane tickets covering a span of 45 days, with the option of changing them with a fare difference. The inbound flight will stay the same, the outbound (return) flight may change depending on how I do.

My current plan is to see how I do the first few days, after crossing the Pyrenees, maybe by the time I get to Pamplona I’ll have a better idea of my pace, and recalculate.

I’m trying to strike a balance between my need to do my grieving, processing, and the need to keep moving forward. This is not a mere walk to me, but the culmination of a years-long process that I hope will help me move on to the next stage of my life.

Besides grieving my losses (significant other, parents, pets, and giving up my career), there’s a lot of cultural and religious issues I need to process.

I’ve done a lot of work around this issues in therapy, but therapy is no substitute for real life. Thanks to the work I’ve already done, I look at it as taking a fresh look at my ancestry, my roots, my beliefs, my grievances. At the same time, I want to have the experience of connecting with other people, have meaningful conversations, learn more about my ancestral culture, and yes, have some fun in the process. It’s all about perspectives, healing, and balance.

Given the time constraints, I extended my original plane return trip by a week. From reading your responses, doing the Camino in 32 days is doable, I even found a You Tube video from a 70 y/o gentleman that did it in 26 days…in August, with 40 degree Celsius temperatures. On the other hand, this gentleman has done I think like 6 Caminos before, so he was very experienced, and I’m a total newbie.

So I know it’s possible, it’s realistic, but is it desirable? I guess it depends on how it goes. If I do get to SDC in 32 days, I have an extra week where I can go on to Finisterra/Muxia, and/or spend some days in the SDC area or in Madrid.

I’m now in the process of researching things like train tickets, downloaded the Buen Camino app (will also try Wise Pilgrim), start booking accommodations for the first few days, figure out what gear I need, and keep reading these very helpful boards.

Thanks for the input, everybody!

This all sounds wonderful. It's difficult to balance the planning part (which I find really fun!) with the leaving things up to serendipity (scary). That's why I keep walking caminos!
Buen camino!

Most read last week in this forum

Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...
From a friend on the ground in Pamplona https://www.noticiasdenavarra.com/fotos/general/sociedad/2024/04/23/nieve-primaveral-presente-navarra-8152386.html

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back