• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

29 year old Englishman beginning the Camino Frances from SJPP on 1st May 2022

Feetzgerald

Time of past OR future Camino
Future
Beyond excited to start my Camino. I've had it in my mind for years, and now am I finally actually doing it. My work have granted me a 4 month sabbatical and this is the first adventure I'm embarking on.

Hoping to meet some great people on the road. I'm usually quite shy so I'm hoping this helps me to come out of my shell.

Buen camino! 👋🏻🇪🇸

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
It’s exciting, isn’t it? I will finally be starting my own Camino (after a two year Covid postponement) from SJPP about a week after you set off and know how you must be feeling right now. Glad you found this forum - it’s been an amazing source of wisdom and advice for me. Your Camino has already begun! :)

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Welcome to the Forum.

You will find lots of tips and advice here to help you plan your camino.

However it is important to actively train for the camino and if possible in what you will be wearing and carrying on the camino. That way both your body and your gear will we well tested before you actually set off.

Happy planning and Buen Camino,

Welcome to the Forum.

You will find lots of tips and advice here to help you plan your camino.

However it is important to actively train for the camino and if possible in what you will be wearing and carrying on the camino. That way both your body and your gear will we well tested before you actually set off.

Happy planning and Buen Camino,
Thanks for the advice! Training won't be a problem as I am an avid runner and have run a couple marathons recently 😁 And as for gear, I've spent the last few months researching absolutely everything and have already got everything I need. Just a waiting game now 😶

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Beyond excited to start my Camino. I've had it in my mind for years, and now am I finally actually doing it. My work have granted me a 4 month sabbatical and this is the first adventure I'm embarking on.

Hoping to meet some great people on the road. I'm usually quite shy so I'm hoping this helps me to come out of my shell.

Buen camino! 👋🏻🇪🇸

Buen camino! 👋🏻🇪🇸
Congrats! I’m preparing for my third Camino and will be just a few days ahead of you. My suggestion is to arrive at SJPDP on one day, register at the Pilgrim Office and spend the night across the street at Beilari’s which provides dinner, a night’s sleep, breakfast, and some communal time where you get to know some other pilgrims as you begin your first steps in the morning.

Au-delà de l’excitation de commencer mon Camino. Je l’ai en tête depuis des années, et maintenant je le fais enfin. Mon travail m’a accordé un congé sabbatique de 4 mois et c’est la première aventure dans laquelle je me lance.

En espérant rencontrer des gens formidables sur la route. Je suis généralement assez timide, alors j’espère que cela m’aidera à sortir de ma coquille.

Buen camino! 👋🏻

Buen camino! 👋🏻🇪🇸
Welcome to SJPDP

Thanks for the advice! Training won't be a problem as I am an avid runner and have run a couple marathons recently 😁 And as for gear, I've spent the last few months researching absolutely everything and have already got everything I need. Just a waiting game now 😶
Just make sure you walk alot in the shoes you will wear on the Camino. Blisters don't care how good a shape you are in!! ;)
Everyone's feet are different for sure. One person's heavenly boots are another person's nightmare. My own completely unscientific and biased observation after walking over 6,000 camino kilometers is that more people have foot issues the heavier and stiffer their boots are. I walk in trail runners and have had only 5 blisters total, none serious. Attend to blisters immediately. I use needle and neosporin and big bandages to cover the blisters after I pop them with the needle. I check them often and as soon as some more water accumulates, I pop them again. Used Compeed once and that was a huge mistake. I have never used lambs wool but have heard from many it is a great prophylaxis for blisters.
Remember listen to your body and you seem to have plenty of time. Rest when your body tells you to rest and go when it tells you to go. I have unfortunately seen people who join camino families and end up seriously injured because they pushed on when they should have rested and exacerbated an injury that could have been resolved with rest and or shorter days. It so often seems to be younger people who I have observed. I always tell them, and it falls on deaf ears. If you were walking with your mom, dad or siblings would they continue to walk or wait for you to rest and heal? Of course they would. Your camino family, I am sure are wonderful people but they all have their own caminos and their own time frames they have to follow. Walk your own camino. You know what, I bet if you rest and feel better you will soon meet other pilgrims who are just as wonderful and kind and caring that are coming up behind you. Wouldn't it be great to have even a bigger camino family??
Just my opinion and my unsolicited advice. I know I am a dad but I sound like a Jewish mother! Have loads of fun and reflection and hope you make it to Muxia and Finisterre too. A beautiful walk.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Buen camino!

Buen camino! 👋🏻🇪🇸
How exciting! My sister and I will be starting from SJPP the same day! Look for a couple of older gals from California and say hi. Buen Camino!

Just make sure you walk alot in the shoes you will wear on the Camino. Blisters don't care how good a shape you are in!! ;)
Everyone's feet are different for sure. One person's heavenly boots are another person's nightmare. My own completely unscientific and biased observation after walking over 6,000 camino kilometers is that more people have foot issues the heavier and stiffer their boots are. I walk in trail runners and have had only 5 blisters total, none serious. Attend to blisters immediately. I use needle and neosporin and big bandages to cover the blisters after I pop them with the needle. I check them often and as soon as some more water accumulates, I pop them again. Used Compeed once and that was a huge mistake. I have never used lambs wool but have heard from many it is a great prophylaxis for blisters.
Remember listen to your body and you seem to have plenty of time. Rest when your body tells you to rest and go when it tells you to go. I have unfortunately seen people who join camino families and end up seriously injured because they pushed on when they should have rested and exacerbated an injury that could have been resolved with rest and or shorter days. It so often seems to be younger people who I have observed. I always tell them, and it falls on deaf ears. If you were walking with your mom, dad or siblings would they continue to walk or wait for you to rest and heal? Of course they would. Your camino family, I am sure are wonderful people but they all have their own caminos and their own time frames they have to follow. Walk your own camino. You know what, I bet if you rest and feel better you will soon meet other pilgrims who are just as wonderful and kind and caring that are coming up behind you. Wouldn't it be great to have even a bigger camino family??
Just my opinion and my unsolicited advice. I know I am a dad but I sound like a Jewish mother! Have loads of fun and reflection and hope you make it to Muxia and Finisterre too. A beautiful walk.
I concur totally with: “My own completely unscientific and biased observation after walking over 6,000 camino kilometers is that more people have foot issues the heavier and stiffer their boots are”. This was certainly true for me. In Pamplona I traded my hiking shoes for hiking sandals and the rest of my trip was a breeze. The other advice is that before my 2nd camino I visited a podiatrist who recommended getting a pedicure several times before I walk. This was the best best advice ever. I didn’t hardly notice my feet at all on that camino

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I concur totally with: “My own completely unscientific and biased observation after walking over 6,000 camino kilometers is that more people have foot issues the heavier and stiffer their boots are”. This was certainly true for me. In Pamplona I traded my hiking shoes for hiking sandals and the rest of my trip was a breeze. The other advice is that before my 2nd camino I visited a podiatrist who recommended getting a pedicure several times before I walk. This was the best best advice ever. I didn’t hardly notice my feet at all on that camino

I've got myself some trail runners (Altra Lone Peak 5, suggested by someone, but I can't remember who), and I've already started wearing them in. They're super comfy and haven't had any problems with them yet. Very wide at the toe! If anything I'll have worn them in too much before I start my walk 😁

Buen camino! 👋🏻🇪🇸
We're starting on 30th April. We're older than you so you may well catch us up. We'll be 2 people from Wales and 2 from the USA. Look out for us and Buen Camino. You'll have a wonderful time.

We're starting on 30th April. We're older than you so you may well catch us up. We'll be 2 people from Wales and 2 from the USA. Look out for us and Buen Camino. You'll have a wonderful time.
If you're so inclined, you can sign up on April 2022 Start - Check In Here so you can see others who will be beginning their camino when and where you are. :)

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Do some back-to-back 25-30km Sat+Sun walks, get used to your gear and get any blisters out of the way before the main event. Taking a pair of hardened feet and gear you know and feel comfortable with will make it 100% more enjoyable. Have fun!

Buen camino! 👋🏻🇪🇸
Way to go! We're hoping to leave SJ on the Monday (2nd).

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Most read last week in this forum

Hace dos días falleció a los 78 años Pepe Puertas "el peregrino de La Rioja" Todos los años en Julio hacía el camino francés completo para llegar a Compostela el 25 de Julio. Año tras año durante...
Hello my name is Brenda and I am establishing a daily AA meeting 6-7 pm at Casa Anglican WhatsApp 416-8018176 for daily updates Thankyou. Buen Camino
Hello. I’m Steph from USA Arriving in pamplona May 27 2024 Is anyone arriving that destination & date so we can coordinate transportation to SJPP. TIA
Hi forum friends, I've been reading lots of posts on here to prepare for my first Camino: May 11th to 16th, central Portuguese way starting from the portuguese border to Tui Spain As a solo female...
Hello fellow peregrines, I’m Davide , a 30,yrs old Italian guy from Barcelona ! I was always fascinated by the Camino de Santiago and my eyes got lucent when a day to the pueblo español I saw...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.