• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Starting Camino Frances May 29, 2022!

Schamber

Time of past OR future Camino
May and June 2022
My husband will be flying from the U.S. to Paris on May 25, 2022. We arrive May 26 and will have two nights to recover. We'll take the train (with one stop) to SJPP on May 28. We'll stay one night in SJPP and then start walking on May 29. I am sending my suitcase ahead the whole walk. My husband is carrying a backpack but he'll put some stuff in my suitcase. I'll have a day pack for snacks, water, jacket, etc.. We are getting private rooms and cheap hotels and I have booked most of them already. :) I know this is not the most popular way to do it but we're doing it "my way". We'll have a rest stops in Pamplona, Logrono, and Leon. I realize I may have to make changes along the way for the unexpected. We'll stay three nights in Santiago and hope to do a bus ride or tour to Finistere and Muxia. Hope we meet some of you along the way!! Buen Camino!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Consider taking Ryanair from Paris to Biarritz. Will cut hours off of that travel day, and is cheaper than the train from Paris.
There is a direct local bus from Biarritz airport to Bayonne train station.
Bayonne station to SJPDP

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Well... if all works out well I am roughly 1 week ahead of you (Fly into Paris on the 20th, get to SJPdP, spend 1 night there and start walking on 21st. Considering that my plans are to spend 1 might in Pyrenees (be it Orisson or the new Albergue that just opened) I didnt get too far on those couple of days
Planning my rest\play hookie\tourist days in Burgos, Leon and either Astorga or Ponferrada
So who knows perhaps our paths will cross
Good Luck and Buen Camino

P.S. re: suggestion to take Ryanair that @MariaDunlop made. Good option and lots of folks opt to continue flying. However I personally am not dealing with getting my luggage only to have to re-check it and going through TSA again (yes I am checking stuff in because of...you guessed it the poles, the knife and other cabin-prohibited things). May 20th is my 'travel day' so however long it takes me to travel - I have no place to be "in a hurry"... as a matter of fact the whole point of my Camino is not to be in a hurry - bed race be 🤬

Consider taking Ryanair from Paris to Biarritz. Will cut hours off of that travel day, and is cheaper than the train from Paris.
There is a direct local bus from Biarritz airport to Bayonne train station.
Bayonne station to SJPDP
We're taking a flight from Santiago to Paris at the end of our journey. We kinda wanted to take the train for the enjoyment of the train ride. We read our books and relax. And only one change of trains. Thank you though for the suggestions.

Well... if all works out well I am roughly 1 week ahead of you (Fly into Paris on the 20th, get to SJPdP, spend 1 night there and start walking on 21st. Considering that my plans are to spend 1 might in Pyrenees (be it Orisson or the new Albergue that just opened) I didnt get too far on those couple of days
Planning my rest\play hookie\tourist days in Burgos, Leon and either Astorga or Ponferrada
So who knows perhaps our paths will cross
Good Luck and Buen Camino

P.S. re: suggestion to take Ryanair that @MariaDunlop made. Good option and lots of folks opt to continue flying. However I personally am not dealing with getting my luggage only to have to re-check it and going through TSA again (yes I am checking stuff in because of...you guessed it the poles, the knife and other cabin-prohibited things). May 20th is my 'travel day' so however long it takes me to travel - I have no place to be "in a hurry"... as a matter of fact the whole point of my Camino is not to be in a hurry - bed race be 🤬
Yea, who knows! We may meet up! I too do not want to fly again right away. We will fly back to Paris but I figure we might be eager to get home to see the grandchildren and the dog! :) Good luck to you also and Buen Camino!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
My husband will be flying from the U.S. to Paris on May 25, 2022. We arrive May 26 and will have two nights to recover. We'll take the train (with one stop) to SJPP on May 28. We'll stay one night in SJPP and then start walking on May 29. I am sending my suitcase ahead the whole walk. My husband is carrying a backpack but he'll put some stuff in my suitcase. I'll have a day pack for snacks, water, jacket, etc.. We are getting private rooms and cheap hotels and I have booked most of them already. :) I know this is not the most popular way to do it but we're doing it "my way". We'll have a rest stops in Pamplona, Logrono, and Leon. I realize I may have to make changes along the way for the unexpected. We'll stay three nights in Santiago and hope to do a bus ride or tour to Finistere and Muxia. Hope we meet some of you along the way!! Buen Camino!
I agree with other posts.....Each pilgrimage is different and a personal choice....Enjoy....Buen Camino....Ultreia!!!

You may wish to factor in an extra day in the beautiful city of Burgos as well. Everybody's walk should be "their way" but it is easy to get caught up in others' pace. Be true to yourself. It is a beautiful time to be walking - the storks will be raising their young and you'll hear their "clattering". Even though you've chosen to take private rooms and cheap hotels it is worth being open to the experience of an albergue - in my opinion it's worth it and there are some fantastic ones along the way. Almost 12 months to plan and prepare. Buen Camino

You may wish to factor in an extra day in the beautiful city of Burgos as well. Everybody's walk should be "their way" but it is easy to get caught up in others' pace. Be true to yourself. It is a beautiful time to be walking - the storks will be raising their young and you'll hear their "clattering". Even though you've chosen to take private rooms and cheap hotels it is worth being open to the experience of an albergue - in my opinion it's worth it and there are some fantastic ones along the way. Almost 12 months to plan and prepare. Buen Camino
Thanks Bronte! I’ll look into Burgos for an extra night and an Albergue one night. I know I wouldn’t get any sleep that night and my husband would join the other snorers!😂
Didn’t know I would get to hear the baby storks!! Can’t wait!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Thanks Bronte! I’ll look into Burgos for an extra night and an Albergue one night. I know I wouldn’t get any sleep that night and my husband would join the other snorers!😂
Didn’t know I would get to hear the baby storks!! Can’t wait!
A good pair of earplugs will help you block out most of "the noises of the night"! You may not hear the baby storks but the parent birds clatter to each other. Their nests are huge and you only have to check out belltowers or any other tall structures to see them. How they don't turn deaf with the constant bell-ringing I'm not sure. Let us know if we can be of any help if you have questions about your upcoming walk.

Attachments

• P1160796.JPG
    P1160796.JPG
    2.9 MB · Views: 3
  • P1160991.JPG
    P1160991.JPG
    2.7 MB · Views: 3
Congratulations! We also stayed in private rooms. For two it wasn't that much more and we still had our meals with other pilgrims. Have you had success booking ahead already by emailing direct?

Congratulations! We also stayed in private rooms. For two it wasn't that much more and we still had our meals with other pilgrims. Have you had success booking ahead already by emailing direct?
Yes, I booked most of them on booking.com, three paradors via the parador website, and some of the rooms by emailing the hotel directly. I need four more but they won't take 2022 bookings till October 21 or January 22. Oh, and I booked one after the owner posted his info about his place on Facebook. I messaged him and he gave me his email and we confirmed!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Most read last week in this forum

Hi, can I get second hand poles from Casa Ivar? Happy to make donation. Walking from Santiago to Muxia, then the Primitivo. Will return them when done.....thanks
New user here. Hello to you all. New to the forum but not to the Camino. I was told about this Forum whilst I walking the lovely scenic 'Camino Norte'. I'm planning walking another in June.
Hi, A couple years ago I flew into Geneva and took a train to Laussane to begin my Francigena. Next year I would like to fly into Geneva and walk the south side - France into Aigle, Switzerland...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back