• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

3 Days Before I Start!

Damita

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances (Mar/Apr 2014)
I never thought it would happen before I retired, but I asked and the universe delivered: I leave for my first camino on Wednesday.

I'm excited! I'm scared. I'm a lot of things. I've been a lurker on here for a while and from what I've read so far, the community seems quite friendly. I'm hoping to meet some of you out there sometime. My French and Spanish are...well, bad lol. :D But I will try my best. Just be patient with me and my translations. (I have a tiny phrasebook and an app on my smartphone. I come prepared! ;))

I'm a slow walker and very shy, but I'm quite the colorful bird. If you see a peregrina who seems lost/culture-shocked but with a huge grin on her face...that's probably me. I've never traveled overseas before so please forgive any faux-pas and help me out by saying, "Hello!"

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Buen Camino Damita! Unfortunately I won't see you as I have to wait to leave for my first Camino until the 26th of April, but I'm sure you'll meet a bunch of lovely people on your way! Enjoy!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
How exciting! That first trip is sooooo mind blowing. Expect the unexpected, enjoy the moment, trust your instincts (but not when you are jet lagged/overtired or had too much red wine! ), take time to observe and process, and walk in joy. May flowers line your path.

I never thought it would happen before I retired, but I asked and the universe delivered: I leave for my first camino on Wednesday.

I'm excited! I'm scared. I'm a lot of things. I've been a lurker on here for a while and from what I've read so far, the community seems quite friendly. I'm hoping to meet some of you out there sometime. My French and Spanish are...well, bad lol. :D But I will try my best. Just be patient with me and my translations. (I have a tiny phrasebook and an app on my smartphone. I come prepared! ;))

I'm a slow walker and very shy, but I'm quite the colorful bird. If you see a peregrina who seems lost/culture-shocked but with a huge grin on her face...that's probably me. I've never traveled overseas before so please forgive any faux-pas and help me out by saying, "Hello!"
Congratulations!! You have just given me some reassurance that I too can do this. I hope to start from Pamplona about April 6th. I have high aspirations to make it to Santiago, but one just never knows. Enjoy the experience!!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I'm excited! I'm scared. I'm a lot of things. My French and Spanish are...well, bad lol. I'm a slow walker and very shy, but I'm quite the colorful bird.

1. Don't be scared. There is truly nothing to fear on the Camino.
2. Don't worry about not speaking French and or Spanish. You are not the first person to walk Camino with limited Spanish and French. You will quickly pick up the few words you need. Also, English is a common language on the Camino. And finally, hand gestures always get the job done.
3. Don't worry about how fast you walk. You will always find someone walking slower than you. We all did the Camino at our pace (I took 43 days).
4. Don't be shy! Pilgrims are the nicest people on the face of the earth. Feel free to drop your pack at any Café and join the conversation (even if it's only a smile).
5. When in doubt, ask. There will be many veteran pilgrims around you. And besides, in a few days you will be a veteran.

Buen Camino!!!

Don't miss a thing, I can't believe my camino has been and gone. You have nothing to fear at all. I want to plan my next one already. Enjoy every moment, even the toughest moments, for they will be the ones that become some of the fondest memories.

Good luck

Kathryn

Borrowing from RobertS26

1. Don't be scared. You will have a "pilgrim family" to help you with any need you may have.
2. Don't worry about not speaking French and or Spanish. I can't speak either and I get by fine. As a matter of fact, many of my friends tell me that I can barely speak English.
3. Don't worry about how fast you walk, I'll bet I'm slower than you.
4. Don't be shy, you're new "pilgrim family" won't let you be anyway.
5. Always remember, the Camino will provide.

My first Camino changed my life, so be careful, you may never be the same.

Buen Camino!!!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Have a good one pilgrim Buen Camino

[...] If you see a peregrina who seems lost/culture-shocked but with a huge grin on her face...that's probably me. [...]
Don't worry, join the pack!
During your first days you'll quickly adjust, meet many fellow "peregrinos" and soon forgot what you were worried about!
Ultreya!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I'm so excited for you, Damita, and can't wait to hear all about your experiences!

Best of luck on your adventure. An open heart and open mind can offer the best possibilities. Take care and enjoy the moment. Do tell us all about it on your return home. Good luck

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Have a great walk Damita , I envy you don't worry pellegrinos are friendly people and you will feel comfortable very quickly

Hi Damita,
I'm starting on Monday from Pamplona so I'll keep a look out for you. I'm going to start slow too so with any luck we'll cross paths.
Buen Camino
Gillian

Hi Damita,
Being scared, excited, and a lot of things is pretty normal!! I certainly was 7 months ago - and now that I have less than three weeks before I leave for my next walk, I'm, again, a bit scared - even tho' I KNOW it'll all be good!
Buen Camino!!
Terry

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Buen Camino Damita!!

Damita, You will have a wonderful time - despite any apprehension in the early days...you will quickly get into the rhythm of the Camino and wonder why you were ever scared or nervous...or had second thoughts! All will be well. This may be the first of several caminos for you! Buen Camino!

At the airport atm. After some hiccups (heartburn?) with my tickets and realizing too late I left some small things at home (book, rosary, etc) I guess the universe isn't going to let me hide behind anything. On a good note, I made it through airport security with my knitting needles and safety scissors intact LOL!!!!

@Gillian: I'll keep an eye out for you.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi Damita! I start my Camino on monday! Looking forward to it sooooo much!

Buen Camino

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!

Most read last week in this forum

Hi, can I get second hand poles from Casa Ivar? Happy to make donation. Walking from Santiago to Muxia, then the Primitivo. Will return them when done.....thanks
New user here. Hello to you all. New to the forum but not to the Camino. I was told about this Forum whilst I walking the lovely scenic 'Camino Norte'. I'm planning walking another in June.
Hi, A couple years ago I flew into Geneva and took a train to Laussane to begin my Francigena. Next year I would like to fly into Geneva and walk the south side - France into Aigle, Switzerland...
I am 29 doing the Frances by myself starting in SJPdP next week. I didn’t realize this was a busiest time to do the Frances so I am really nervous about the bed race. I don’t mind socializing or...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back