• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

3weeks on the Frances in October

karinwalks

I am starting in Pamplona on October 7th and only have 18 days to walk. I have been told it might be a good idea to start off and then take a bus past the flat "boring" part and finish up with the ascent into O'Cabreiro and on to Santiago. I am trying to make the most of the time that I have. I am looking for the best scenery and the most time away from bigger centers and on smaller paths if possible. Any advise or recommendations? If one were to bus past the central part where would that be exactly? Ie. which towns?
Thanks for any help!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Uh oh Karin- careful throwing around that "b word"!! There are many strong opinions about the Meseta, and yes, "boring" may be one of them, but it also ends up being the favorite stretch for a lot of people! It is all about personal preference. If you are limited on time and don't WANT to walk the Meseta, I'd say walk to Burgos and then take a bus to Leon and do the rest of the walk to Santiago- three weeks should be enough to do that, though I'm not sure of your walking speed or distance goals per day.

I personally love the walk from Astorga onward- Galicia is not to e missed, very green and lovely. However, all "sections" of the Way really provide their own spirit and experience! You really cannot go wrong whatever you choose. A big question to ask is if you want to make it into Santiago....

Welcome to the Forum.

I suspect the flat "boring" part is what others refer to as the meseta. If you do a search on this Forum under 'Meseta' you will find lots of threads which will give you all the information you need, plus some. Buen Camino.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Not sure if Reb has read this post, but I know she would agree with vagando2011's comments on the Meseta. Now, if you really want to bus thru an area...consider the approach to Burgos it's busy, noisy, yada, yada.

Thanks for the advise. Yes, that is why I put "boring" in quotation marks!! I actually don't have any expectation for mileage and I don't care if I get to Santiago or not! I will read more about the area you have referred to. Thanks for the info!

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Welcome to the Forum.

I suspect the flat "boring" part is what others refer to as the meseta. If you do a search on this Forum under 'Meseta' you will find lots of threads which will give you all the information you need, plus some. Buen Camino.
Meseta is neither flat nor boring! I believe the word is undulating ... Yes undulating, with flat areas.
I was told to bus ahead on that stretch but ever so glad I did not! That is where my Camino Pod or family knitted together. It was the area in which I understood that I was praying with my feet. There was not much externally there to distract the mind but the inner thoughts!
This year I will take up from where I left off, Ponferrda ...
I will complete the walk this year, and much to my chagrin I will not be on Meseta this time.
Enjoy every step of the way!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
The Meseta was my favorite part of the Camino. Least favorite - Sarria onwards. I prefer walking quietly through fields and small villages to big cities/towns and crowds. To each her own, yes? Buen camino!

I am starting in Pamplona on October 7th and only have 18 days to walk. I have been told it might be a good idea to start off and then take a bus past the flat "boring" part and finish up with the ascent into O'Cabreiro and on to Santiago. I am trying to make the most of the time that I have. I am looking for the best scenery and the most time away from bigger centers and on smaller paths if possible. Any advise or recommendations? If one were to bus past the central part where would that be exactly? Ie. which towns?
Thanks for any help!
We walked from Roncesvalles to SdC last year and will be starting from Pamplona on Aug 21st (DV!) We expect to bus in to Burgos from Villafría again and will also take the bus from Mansilla de las Mulas in to León. There is a local bus service out from León to Virgen del Camino, where there is a great albergue (don't arrive too late though!) We don't really want to walk the stretch from Villafranca Montes de Oca to Burgos, through the Montes de Oca; we found this part a bit tedious because of the proximity of the trees, with no views, so may take the bus for that part too this year. In contrast, I wouldn't want to miss the Meseta, which is so very different from where we live in the north-west of England, close to the Lake District. Until I bought 1:50,000 maps, I really hadn't realised how close we were to main roads, for much of the Camino! This gives a lot more flexibility to your trip than you may realise. There is SUCH variety in "paisaje" that you will be astounded. Sure you'll love it. ¡Buen camino!

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Karin, if you want the pilgrimage experience finishing in Santiago, then pick a starting place you estimate is within the right distance, and walk for 3 weeks. A pilgrimage means taking the good with the bad, no picking and choosing. Plus you will become part of a Camino family - something you lose if you skip bits.
If you want a lovely walk, nice accommodation, great food, beautiful scenery, interesting culture, pretty villages - then I'd start in Le Puy en Velay and walk - again for 3 weeks without catching a bus (cause it's all gorgeous).

Most read last week in this forum

A message has just been posted on the Facebook account of the albergue in Roncesvalles. It seems the combination of pilgrim numbers beyond their capacity and poor weather has made this a difficult...
I’m on the Camino Frances since April 4. I just finished the Meseta and it feels unpleasantly busy and has since the beginning. No time time to smell the roses or draw much. There is a sense from...
Hello, I'll be starting the Camino soon and there's one bit of it that worries me. The descent from Collado de Lepoeder to Roncesvalles seems quite steep (according to the Wise Pilgrim app) which...
Hi everyone. My name is Nika. I plan to take my backpack, and go on Camino in the end of the next week. I still don’t know how will I get from Kyiv to France. And what city should I come to… I...
Good morning, all: I'll be starting my first-ever Camino (and first trip to Europe, actually) in one month. I'd appreciate any and all advice regarding the price(s)/price range for lunches on the...
We are in SJPP today While we were standing in line today, one of my pilgrims met 3 people from Taiwan, who could not find a bed. He said he also saw several people on their phones, frantically...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back