• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino Frances, what to expect in October

SueV

Time of past OR future Camino
Future
Hi everyone, as a relatively new member, please can anyone advise as to what to expect on the Frances in October, plan on walking this route next year and beginning planning. In particular weather and availability of accommodation. Thanks in advance, any advice welcome.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I started mid October and it was perfect. Not too cold over the Pyrenees, just one really hot day on the Meseta and only four rain days. Albergues were open. I only had one instance where I got to a town I was planning on staying in and nothing was open so I had to walk another 10 km to the next town.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Weather - starting to get quite chilly at nights and in the early morning in October. I came across ground frost a few times in the hills sections in October. Once the sun is up properly temperatures should be moderate. The chances of rain and strong winds are higher than in the summer months. I would be sure to have decent rainwear handy.

Most of the albergues will stay open at least until the beginning of October. September is peak season for people leaving SJPDP and so the waves of pilgrims will still be arriving in Galicia into October though numbers will be dropping by then. The best guide to what will be open is probably the Gronze website which lists almost all accommodation along the route along with details of their open season.

SueV,
Autumn is a great time to walk with generally golden days and cool nights. Although albergues on the CF started to close mid October there was always some place open. When walking in October/November I usually stayed in municipal albergues and never had a reservation until the final days in Santiago.

Check out this earlier forum thread for earlier posts with helpful info re
walking in October- November.

Happy planning.

Hi everyone, as a relatively new member, please can anyone advise as to what to expect on the Frances in October, plan on walking this route next year and beginning planning. In particular weather and availability of accommodation. Thanks in advance, any advice welcome.
Hi Sue -- I walked the Camino Sept 18-Oct 25 in 2015. The weather was temperate with only a couple of really not evenings/nights, a few hot days, a few colder days (sweater weather), three really rainy days. I thought it was just the best time of year, and most nights you can call ahead to reserve a bed. I averaged around 20 or 25 km per day.
David

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi Sue -- I walked the Camino Sept 18-Oct 25 in 2015. The weather was temperate with only a couple of really not evenings/nights, a few hot days, a few colder days (sweater weather), three really rainy days. I thought it was just the best time of year, and most nights you can call ahead to reserve a bed. I averaged around 20 or 25 km per day.
David
Many thanks David, much appreciated.

I walked the CF in October and November of 2017. The mornings are quite cool so I wore leggings under my shorts and a fleece layer over my shirt. By mid morning I had to find somewhere semi private to strip off the warm layers as the day warmed up.

This was my routine from Bayonne to Leon. In Leon I finally had to break down and buy a cheap puff jacket for the mornings and evenings.

There were a few wet days where a pack cover and poncho came in as welcome additions to my pack.

I did have two nights on the Baztan leg where the local albergue was closed and no rooms were available.

The first occurrence, amazingly, the albergue was unlocked. I felt quite guilty about it and I still used the shower and a bunkbed. I of course left a donation and a note with my apologies and my thanks.

The second time was a local Fiesta and there was not a single space available anywhere nearby. A local bartender checked for anywhere they could think of. In that case I pulled the plug and got a taxi to Zubiri. Loads of accomodation there.

For the rest of the CF I had no trouble.

Buen Camino!

Sue, I walked the the CF last October 19-November 24. It was cool over the Pyrenees, hot from Pamplona to Leon, and rainy from Ponferrada to Santiago. It rained every day during the last 10 days and once it was torrential all day long. Nonetheless, we all had a great time. Buen Camino.

Attachments

• IMG_0111.jpeg
    IMG_0111.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 22
  • IMG_0106.jpeg
    IMG_0106.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 20
  • IMG_0047.jpeg
    IMG_0047.jpeg
    194.2 KB · Views: 22
  • 1C2D75B1-C8E7-4798-8DD4-CC360ECDAA0F.jpeg
    1C2D75B1-C8E7-4798-8DD4-CC360ECDAA0F.jpeg
    320.7 KB · Views: 19
  • D92E8369-C046-4FC2-A3A0-06C061DEF386.jpeg
    D92E8369-C046-4FC2-A3A0-06C061DEF386.jpeg
    818.7 KB · Views: 20
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
When I walked from Rabanal del Camino on 2 October 2020 it was snowing. More sensible people decided not to walk that day. The owner of the guesthouse I stayed in handed me a card with the number to call a taxi as I was leaving that morning. Not the most pleasant of walks but I made it to El Acebo. I was so glad I had bought a hat and gloves in Astorga. It was great to arrive to a warm welcome at La Rosa del Agua in El Acebo.

Definitely cold nights (I had frost on the ground in El Acebo (just after Cruz de Fero) on Oct 22 in 2021, and it was cold enough from mid-Meseta that it was hard to convince anyone to keep windows open!). By mid-October, I would start the mornings with everything I owned (including hat, gloves, buff) but by noon was in shirt sleeves. But the days are short, and just before daylight savings ends the last week of October, the sun doesn't come up until almost 9 am, and the afternoon sun isn't warm enough to dry laundry, so I found I would chip in with other pilgrims for a washer and dryer load every 3-4 days. I found it a wonderful time to be walking. Buen Camino!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I walked the CF in October and November of 2017. The mornings are quite cool so I wore leggings under my shorts and a fleece layer over my shirt. By mid morning I had to find somewhere semi private to strip off the warm layers as the day warmed up.

This was my routine from Bayonne to Leon. In Leon I finally had to break down and buy a cheap puff jacket for the mornings and evenings.

There were a few wet days where a pack cover and poncho came in as welcome additions to my pack.

I did have two nights on the Baztan leg where the local albergue was closed and no rooms were available.

The first occurrence, amazingly, the albergue was unlocked. I felt quite guilty about it and I still used the shower and a bunkbed. I of course left a donation and a note with my apologies and my thanks.

The second time was a local Fiesta and there was not a single space available anywhere nearby. A local bartender checked for anywhere they could think of. In that case I pulled the plug and got a taxi to Zubiri. Loads of accomodation there.

For the rest of the CF I had no trouble.

Buen Camino!
Many thanks, much appreciate and noted

Definitely cold nights (I had frost on the ground in El Acebo (just after Cruz de Fero) on Oct 22 in 2021, and it was cold enough from mid-Meseta that it was hard to convince anyone to keep windows open!). By mid-October, I would start the mornings with everything I owned (including hat, gloves, buff) but by noon was in shirt sleeves. But the days are short, and just before daylight savings ends the last week of October, the sun doesn't come up until almost 9 am, and the afternoon sun isn't warm enough to dry laundry, so I found I would chip in with other pilgrims for a washer and dryer load every 3-4 days. I found it a wonderful time to be walking. Buen Camino!
Many thanks, much appreciated, particularly heads up re the daylight saving change, will check out before we leave

The only thing to expect (weather-wise) in October is the unexpected. In my repeated experience, it’s a great time to walk but you could get all four seasons in one day.
Bit like England then! Thank you for the information, will take on board.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Sue, I walked the the CF last October 19-November 24. It was cool over the Pyrenees, hot from Pamplona to Leon, and rainy from Ponferrada to Santiago. It rained every day during the last 10 days and once it was torrential all day long. Nonetheless, we all had a great time. Buen Camino.
Thank you, great photos, we’re English so are used to rain!

Dear Sue,
I walked CF in October 2021. Weather wise, you may hit every season in one day, as correctly pointed out by henrythedog. Essential packing is gloves and a buff, a head torch good sweater and rain protection ( Poncho/light raincoat and over trousers). Balance all the above with ‘packing light as possible’ and you will be grand.

Most of all, and I mean this sincerely, be assured that every step taken will add to the most marvellous powerful experience one could ask for, blessed by those you meet along the way. Plan well, prepare for cold and heat within a couple of hours, and set your face like flint towards Santiago, soaking in everything along the way.
Buen camino. X

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Dear Sue,
I walked CF in October 2021. Weather wise, you may hit every season in one day, as correctly pointed out by henrythedog. Essential packing is gloves and a buff, a head torch good sweater and rain protection ( Poncho/light raincoat and over trousers). Balance all the above with ‘packing light as possible’ and you will be grand.

Most of all, and I mean this sincerely, be assured that every step taken will add to the most marvellous powerful experience one could ask for, blessed by those you meet along the way. Plan well, prepare for cold and heat within a couple of hours, and set your face like flint towards Santiago, soaking in everything along the way.
Buen camino. X
Thank you, much appreciated. We’re expecting the challenge and are very excited looking forward to our Camino experience, whatever it brings.

Most read last week in this forum

Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Zubiri was full early yesterday (by 2:30, according to some pilgrims who came to Pamplona today), but Zubiri opened up a municipal building just past the town for some pilgrims to sleep on the...
Within the past few hours there have been two stories on local news media reporting that the Guardia Civil have been successful in returning lost passports to pilgrims. One in Najera, the other in...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back