• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

4 month Training Program

Kricket

Time of past OR future Camino
September 2018
Greetings from Canada. I am going to walk the Camino to celebrate my 60th birthday. I am really excited. I will start in SJPP on September 1 this year.
I have my back pack ready at 10 percent of my body weight. I am active, altho now really need to start my walking program. Any helpful suggestions for a 4 month training program. Thank You. Kricket

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Simply get out walking as much as you can. And make sure, at least once, you get up and walk the day after totally knackering yourself out.

Welcome, Kricket :) It is an exciting time to be planning for, and looking forward to, your Camino.

First, ounces equal pounds, and pounds equal pain. Keep working on lightening your load. Forget the nonsensical 10% "rule".... shoot for getting the lightest backpack possible.

As to training, their are really two different parts to focus on:
1. Cardiovascular fitness.
2. Muscle strengthening.

Cardiovascular fitness is the ability for your heart and lungs to supply oxygenated blood to your muscles during exercise under load, and your muscles ability to use that oxygen efficiently so they can produce energy.

Exercises should be used which will allow you to hit a target heart rate zone, over a for a period of time during exercising, which provides the needed aerobic effort for conditioning. This is a website which will help you calculate what your target heart rate zones will be.

https://www.lifespanfitness.com/fitness/resources/target-heart-rate-calculator

Treadmills at incline, running, walking at a faster than normal pace, walking up hills, rowing machines, Hiit (high intensity indoor training) workouts, riding a bicycle at a faster than normal pace, swimming, etc. are all examples of effective aerobic exercises when used to achieve target heart rates.

Keep in mind that as your fitness level improves, it will take a more sustained effort to hit the same heart rate zones. That is why using target zones is so effective. They don't change relative to fitness level. Someone extremely out of shape does not exercise as hard as someone who is extremely fit to reach their target.

Muscle strength is a function of how much maximum force your muscles can exert against resistance. Exercises for strength will also provide a temporary aerobic effect, but the main goal is to increase your capability to function while under resistance.

Think about having to lift the weight of your body, with a pack, with each step going up the Pyrenees. Or being able to lift and carry a load. Or the constant resistance of your body weight and pack to your shoulders and to the 'core' muscles in your back and abdomen.

Some basic strengthening exercises for home include push-ups, lunges, squats and planks. A google search will show you the way to do these exercises.

Other conditioning issues involve things like ankles, feet, and flexibility. Do a search on this forum for posts about exercises to help prevent shin splints and to help prevent plantars fasciitis.

After you've been involved in your fitness regimen for the next three months, put on the clothing and footwear you will be using on Camino, load up your pack, and for several days in a row walk for an 8 hour period. See how you feel and at what pace you are able to best sustain yourself. That will give you a baseline estimate to calculate logistical issues surrounding the question of how many days it may take to walk your Camino.

More than anything else, enjoy the entire process of getting ready for Camino. Keep thinking about your personal goals for doing Camino and what type of experience you are hoping for. Also, think about what you can contribute, as a pilgrim, to the spirit and nature of the Camino when you begin your first steps toward Santiago.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Hi Kricket. @davebugg gave you lots of information!

You don't mention where in Canada you are from. I live near Toronto and walked for months getting ready for my first camino. I practiced on the "hills" around my house and when I returned from the camino I realized that the roads I thought were "hills" were really just small slopes. So before my second camino, I trained at the Scarborough Bluffs. That hill took 20 minutes to climb, but it was the biggest hill around. I would just keep going up and down the hill.

I also start with a pack at 6 pounds, and add a pound every week or so. When I increase the weight, I cut back a little on distance. Eventually I carry my pack everywhere so it feels part of me. This time I am using water bottles in my pack so that if I feel I can't carry the weight any longer I can dump some of the water, and finish my walk.

Enjoy your 60th birthday! My first camino I walked with a friend who was celebrating her 60th and this year I am walking to celebrate my 60th! Buen camino!

I am starting on the same day and also from Canada! What day is your actual birthday?
I have been walking 8kms a day to train as well as 30kms every Saturday. Find a high building or large staircase you can train on...your calves will thank you ;)
Jenine

Greetings from Canada. I am going to walk the Camino to celebrate my 60th birthday. I am really excited. I will start in SJPP on September 1 this year.
I have my back pack ready at 10 percent of my body weight. I am active, altho now really need to start my walking program. Any helpful suggestions for a 4 month training program. Thank You. Kricket
Hello Kricket
I will be on my third consecutive Camino this May 4th. I never trained save for last few weeks. Same age. Each Camino has taught me to still lighten my pack. Have you filled your water bottles and weighed your pack. Water is essential and is heavy. Lighten your pack below your 10%.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
This just happened to be a topic of conversation on our local walk yesterday - a minimum camino training regiment. So much of it depends on your baseline level of fitness. If one is relatively fit and leads an active life style, I would suggest getting a 100 miles under you before departing would be sufficient to have an enjoyable and safe experience. Ideally it would be with a loaded pack, a mix of path and pavement as well as hills. Include at least one weekend of a back to back walk of a 10 to 15 mile day to give your body the experience of a continuous demand.

Congrats fellow Canuck for doing a Camino to celebrate your 60th ! I just finished my second for my 60th , did El Norte totally alone. Amazing. I agree just walk with your poles and backpack, try to walk on various surfaces (road, dirt, rocks, forest, sand) it’s all about strengthening ankles, knees, legs, arms (if you use poles you’ll end your Camino,with nicely shaped upper arms ). Don’t over train and try to do a couple of 3 days longer walks (15-20 km/day) later on. Stop training at least 1 week before to rest. If you happen to be from Ottawa Wolf Trail in Gatineau Park is perfect for Camino,training. BUEN CAMINO!

Thank you for everyones suggestions. They are greatly appreciated. I live a hour south of Ottawa. I plan on walking in the Gatineau hills, the last month on Sundays before I go with my full back pack. They have 5 hr. trails. One weekend a back to back. Baby hills compared to the Camino. Lol. I love the water bottle suggestion, building up my endurance. And the importance to lighten up my Back pack less than 10 percent. This Kricket is excited about the journey. Beun Camino

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Congrats fellow Canuck for doing a Camino to celebrate your 60th ! I just finished my second for my 60th , did El Norte totally alone. Amazing. I agree just walk with your poles and backpack, try to walk on various surfaces (road, dirt, rocks, forest, sand) it’s all about strengthening ankles, knees, legs, arms (if you use poles you’ll end your Camino,with nicely shaped upper arms ). Don’t over train and try to do a couple of 3 days longer walks (15-20 km/day) later on. Stop training at least 1 week before to rest. If you happen to be from Ottawa Wolf Trail in Gatineau Park is perfect for Camino,training. BUEN CAMINO!

I’m back in Ottawa in June if you want a hiking partner in Gatineau. We are a few Camino ladies (“CAMIGAS” on Facebook) in Ottawa if you are interested to meet. I did the Frances (plus Finisterra and Muxia 1000 km total) last year.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Hi, I live in BC and have done two Caminos. The first was when I was 64, the second at 67, and this September coming up I will be 68. I remember stressing about not training enough and by the time I was ready to leave on my first one, I realized that I could quite easily walk for two hours, rest for a bit, walk another two hours, have a rest (probably lunch by then) and walk another 1 - 2 hours until my destination. I am not what you call a super fit person who works out all the time, but the main cautionary advice that I would offer is that walking for two hours is one thing, but walking with weight on your back is another. The difference on your feet is not something to sneeze at. Just make sure your feet are comfortable in whatever footwear you choose (it finally took a new pair of orthotics to make this happen), and gradually add your pack weight. Buen Camino You will love it! Linda (PS and I love my Pacer Poles - what a difference to how you walk with these poles - it is essential that you are upright and not bent over - my whole body improved!)

Most read last week in this forum

Can anyone tell me where I can purchase a Vodafone sim card in SJPD or any other town . I start in SJPD I prefer to have a sim rather then a esim
Hello, Planning Sarria to Campostela mid Sept, 2024. Both wife and I are 71 years old and from America. Will fly from Paris to Campostela. We are pretty active and estimate 10-13 miles per day OK...
Apologies if this topic has been covered before. I’m interested in the earliest/recommended date someone can reserve the following services: 1) flights 2) inter-city buses 3) train (e.g...
I have been planning my upcoming Camino using the Wise Pilgrim Frances app. Unfortunately, it has stalled at Burgos and will not give me any information beyond that city. I have tried...
I have a bad knee and have to be very careful about walking both up and down hills, mostly down, would the Central route be much different than the Litoral route? Where is the last place to change...
Hi, this is Nils from Tenerife. I'm excited to start my very first camino - let's see what it will bring! 😍 For me, this journey is very much like an inwardly guided shamanic ceremony, following...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.