• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

60 plus first time pilgrim

Mar Oregon

Time of past OR future Camino
Hoping to walk in 2020
Hi I am finally beginning to consider becoming a pilgrim on El Camino for real. At least for today. Maybe spring of 2020.
I retired a couple years ago and finding that I absolutely love not working, I am filling my time with all those things I ‘always wanted to do’. These include painting woodworking and carving, endless needle crafts and taking a class then building a skin on frame kayak. I have even begun to make leather shoes. 7 pair and counting.
Walking el Camino has been on my list for several years. I am not in the best physical shape right now although I did lots of hiking when I was younger. I am working to change that now with more walking and lots of hours at the gym. Even if I don’t end up on the path, I need those things.
I would appreciate any advice on getting in shape both physically and mentally especially from any 60 plus women who have been a pilgrim on the path.

My partner may not be able to go with me for more than a few miles due to mobility issues so likely I will be on my own. Solo hikers chime in. Would love to hear from others about the time of year you walked, favorite pieces of gear, little luxuries you brought along and things you might do differently.
Thanks so much and please send good thoughts my way.
Mar

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Also: keep in mind that more than anything else, you will be walking village to village to town to city to village. This means that you do not need to carry loads of heavy stuff 'just in case'. Packs can be light, the day's walking schedule adjusted to meet your needs, and progress along the Camino set so that it's a match for your abilities.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
A warm welcome to the Forum :)

American Pilgrims on the Camino (APOC) has a nice FAQs about a pilgrimage on a Camino which may give you some additional help.

The good news is, you are in a forum with a wonderful group of people. Most are here to help people like you to achieve their pilgrimage goals. We can offer you encouragement, knowledge, and point you in the direction that will help you help yourself.

My suggestion to start is this:
  1. Take a deep breath. Write down in large letters the reasons why you want to go on Camino. Place that piece of paper where you can see it every day. That way, if anxieties and fears threaten to overwhelm you as you plan, you can just breath, read what you have written, and focus on those reasons until the negative stuff fades.
  2. Make a list of questions and concerns that you have.
  3. Go to the Search Engine at the top of the Forum pages.
  4. Enter the words or phrase that you want more information about. You will get a huge amount of information to explore.
  5. If you find that you need help with anything, post a new thread so that your question or concern can be readily seen. If you post a question within someone else's thread, you won't receive as big of a response.
  6. Remember that perfect timing as it relates to how you feel, scheduling, and day to day life issues, seldom align themselves perfectly. If one waits for such to occur, doing something like a pilgrimage will always be in danger of taking a back seat while you wait for that perfect alignment to happen.
--------------------------------------------------------------

I can share with you the quick basics I follow when I train, that way you can apply the principals for your own individual needs, physical conditions, and limitations.

[NOTE: Before undertaking any change in activity level or exercise, be sure to check with your medical provider first. Even a quick phone call informing him/her of your plans will allow your provider to give you any guidance that is deemed important.]

There are two parts to how I train:

1. Cardiovascular fitness.
  2. Muscle strengthening.
With both parts to an exercise plan, it is far better to go slower and be more deliberate and committed to your fitness time, than to overdo it by rushing the exercises and risking overuse injuries and becoming discouraged. Using THR zones, you will always make progress even though you take more time to reach your goal.

Cardiovascular fitness is the ability for the heart and lungs to supply oxygenated blood to your muscles during exercise while under load, and your muscles ability to use that oxygen efficiently so they can produce energy.

A valuable and important tool that is easy and good to follow for developing cardio capacity is the concept of Target Heart Rate zones (THR). It doesn't matter what your fitness level is, THZ will allow each person to develop at their own speed and point of fitness.

Exercises should be used which will allow you to hit a target heart rate (THR) zone, over a set period of time during exercising, which provides the needed aerobic effort for conditioning. This is a website which will help you calculate what your target heart rate zones will be.

https://www.lifespanfitness.com/fitness/resources/target-heart-rate-calculator

Treadmills at incline, running, walking at a faster than normal pace, walking up hills, using rowing machines, HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training) workouts, riding a bicycle at a faster than normal pace, swimming, etc. are all examples of effective aerobic exercises when used to achieve target heart rates.

Keep in mind that as your fitness level improves, it will take a more sustained effort to hit the same heart rate zones. That is why using THR zones is so effective. They don't change relative to one's fitness level. Someone extremely out of shape who cannot exercise as hard and as long as someone who is extremely fit, will still reach the exact same THR during their exercise sessions. It takes more intensity in training for the person who has a great fitness level to reach 140 heart beats per minute (BPM). An out-of-fitness individual will reach that same 140 BPM in a far shorter amount of time and with far less intensity to the exercise.

As you gain fitness, it will take a longer period of exercise and a harder effort at the exercise to keep reaching 140 BPM. It is this THR phenomenon which allows a person to use their own fitness levels as a guide to steady progress rather than relying on some formula laid out by someone who doesn't know you from a hill of beans.

This is what I do for Cardio. It is based on MY current fitness level as an example of how to use what you have around you as an exercise resource. You do not need a gym membership.

During most of the year, I alternate days of effort and length during the week. Every other day I do a Long Loop Trail which is about 7.5 miles in length and gains a total of 2800 feet in elevation. During the other two or three days, I do the Short Loop Trail, which is 3.8 miles in length and only gains 1215 feet of elevation. When I am up backpacking, that will, of course, serve as a daily workout.

For really crummy weather days --- and lately over the last four weeks when smoke from wildfires made the air hazardous for outdoor activity --- I use a treadmill that can achieve a 30 degree incline, and which I spent a bit of time carefully calibrating to make sure it is reasonably accurate for both speed and incline settings. If I didn't have a treadmill, I could jump rope, stair step, run in place, etc. A lot of times the local high school will let the folks in the district use their facilities.

I decided that I would save money by using a treadmill at home -- not to mention the convenience -- rather than paying a gym membership to use THEIR treadmill. It wasn't cheap, but I now have over 7100 miles on it over the course of several years. I learned how to maintain it and keep it accurate in it's measurements. Having the treadmill at home actually decreases the amount of time spent exercising by eliminating the 'getting to and coming back' from a gym.

Muscle strength is a function of how much maximum force your muscles can exert against resistance. Exercises for strength will also provide a temporary aerobic cardio-vascular workout and effect, but the main goal is to increase your capability to function while under resistance.

Think about having to lift the weight of your body, with a pack, with each step going up the Pyrenees. Or being able to lift and carry a load. Or the constant resistance of your body weight and pack to your shoulders and to the 'core' muscles in your back and abdomen.

Some basic strengthening exercises for home include:
  1. push-ups
  2. lunges
  3. squats
  4. planks.
Rather than try and describe the steps involved in properly doing each exercise, do a google search to show you the way to do these exercises.

Again, make steady progress NOT quick progress. The goal is to keep you injury free while you are getting stronger.

This is what I do for strength training and core conditioning. Again, take it easy and build gradually.

In addition to the exercises I listed, I use two pieces of equipment:

1. A cheap set of dumb bells
  2. A TRX strap system.
Again, Google will provide and describe and show the basic exercises for this type of equipment. The TRX system is an offshoot of what several folks used in the military while in combat zones where there is no weight lifting equipment. Back then, it was cargo webbing straps. From that, someone made a gazillion dollars with a nicer, more modern iteration all nicely packaged up and all professional looking :)

Why didn't I think of doing that? o_O

Other conditioning issues involve things like ankles, feet, and flexibility. Do a search on this forum for posts I have made about exercises to help prevent shin splints and to help prevent plantars fasciitis.

Regardless of which exercises you are doing, include frequent walks. Not workouts ... just walk at a comfortable pace and for a comfortable period of time. Use this opportunity to try out footwear for Camino. Look for the beginning niggling of potential problems with your feet and joints so that you have plenty of time to have them looked at by a provider and deal with any treatment plan.

After you've been involved in your fitness regimen for about three months, put on the clothing and footwear you will be using on Camino, load up your pack, and for several days in a row walk for a 3 to 4 hour period. See how you feel and at what pace you are able to best sustain yourself. That will give you a baseline estimate to calculate logistical issues surrounding the question of how far can I comfortably walk within a given amount of time. If you feel you need more time with conditioning before doing that type of walking, then wait for another month or two.

Yes, things and conditions can be different once you are on Camino as the unexpected arises, but those walks will help not only give you some insight and guidance, but also help build your confidence.

It will also let you know how your feet, knees, back and shoulders are doing.

More than anything else, enjoy the entire process of getting ready for Camino. Keep thinking about your personal goals for doing Camino and what type of experience you are hoping for. Also, think about what you can contribute, as a pilgrim, to the spirit and nature of the Camino when you begin your first steps toward Santiago.

Dave: CONGRATULATIONS! I tip my crown and hand it off to you. I think your most excellent post is even longer (and more thorough) than mine.

Keep your outstanding advice coming...

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
A warm welcome to the Forum :)

American Pilgrims on the Camino (APOC) has a nice FAQs about a pilgrimage on a Camino which may give you some additional help.

The good news is, you are in a forum with a wonderful group of people. Most are here to help people like you to achieve their pilgrimage goals. We can offer you encouragement, knowledge, and point you in the direction that will help you help yourself.

My suggestion to start is this:
  1. Take a deep breath. Write down in large letters the reasons why you want to go on Camino. Place that piece of paper where you can see it every day. That way, if anxieties and fears threaten to overwhelm you as you plan, you can just breath, read what you have written, and focus on those reasons until the negative stuff fades.
  2. Make a list of questions and concerns that you have.
  3. Go to the Search Engine at the top of the Forum pages.
  4. Enter the words or phrase that you want more information about. You will get a huge amount of information to explore.
  5. If you find that you need help with anything, post a new thread so that your question or concern can be readily seen. If you post a question within someone else's thread, you won't receive as big of a response.
  6. Remember that perfect timing as it relates to how you feel, scheduling, and day to day life issues, seldom align themselves perfectly. If one waits for such to occur, doing something like a pilgrimage will always be in danger of taking a back seat while you wait for that perfect alignment to happen.
--------------------------------------------------------------

I can share with you the quick basics I follow when I train, that way you can apply the principals for your own individual needs, physical conditions, and limitations.

[NOTE: Before undertaking any change in activity level or exercise, be sure to check with your medical provider first. Even a quick phone call informing him/her of your plans will allow your provider to give you any guidance that is deemed important.]

There are two parts to how I train:

1. Cardiovascular fitness.
  2. Muscle strengthening.
With both parts to an exercise plan, it is far better to go slower and be more deliberate and committed to your fitness time, than to overdo it by rushing the exercises and risking overuse injuries and becoming discouraged. Using THR zones, you will always make progress even though you take more time to reach your goal.

Cardiovascular fitness is the ability for the heart and lungs to supply oxygenated blood to your muscles during exercise while under load, and your muscles ability to use that oxygen efficiently so they can produce energy.

A valuable and important tool that is easy and good to follow for developing cardio capacity is the concept of Target Heart Rate zones (THR). It doesn't matter what your fitness level is, THZ will allow each person to develop at their own speed and point of fitness.

Exercises should be used which will allow you to hit a target heart rate (THR) zone, over a set period of time during exercising, which provides the needed aerobic effort for conditioning. This is a website which will help you calculate what your target heart rate zones will be.

https://www.lifespanfitness.com/fitness/resources/target-heart-rate-calculator

Treadmills at incline, running, walking at a faster than normal pace, walking up hills, using rowing machines, HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training) workouts, riding a bicycle at a faster than normal pace, swimming, etc. are all examples of effective aerobic exercises when used to achieve target heart rates.

Keep in mind that as your fitness level improves, it will take a more sustained effort to hit the same heart rate zones. That is why using THR zones is so effective. They don't change relative to one's fitness level. Someone extremely out of shape who cannot exercise as hard and as long as someone who is extremely fit, will still reach the exact same THR during their exercise sessions. It takes more intensity in training for the person who has a great fitness level to reach 140 heart beats per minute (BPM). An out-of-fitness individual will reach that same 140 BPM in a far shorter amount of time and with far less intensity to the exercise.

As you gain fitness, it will take a longer period of exercise and a harder effort at the exercise to keep reaching 140 BPM. It is this THR phenomenon which allows a person to use their own fitness levels as a guide to steady progress rather than relying on some formula laid out by someone who doesn't know you from a hill of beans.

This is what I do for Cardio. It is based on MY current fitness level as an example of how to use what you have around you as an exercise resource. You do not need a gym membership.

During most of the year, I alternate days of effort and length during the week. Every other day I do a Long Loop Trail which is about 7.5 miles in length and gains a total of 2800 feet in elevation. During the other two or three days, I do the Short Loop Trail, which is 3.8 miles in length and only gains 1215 feet of elevation. When I am up backpacking, that will, of course, serve as a daily workout.

For really crummy weather days --- and lately over the last four weeks when smoke from wildfires made the air hazardous for outdoor activity --- I use a treadmill that can achieve a 30 degree incline, and which I spent a bit of time carefully calibrating to make sure it is reasonably accurate for both speed and incline settings. If I didn't have a treadmill, I could jump rope, stair step, run in place, etc. A lot of times the local high school will let the folks in the district use their facilities.

I decided that I would save money by using a treadmill at home -- not to mention the convenience -- rather than paying a gym membership to use THEIR treadmill. It wasn't cheap, but I now have over 7100 miles on it over the course of several years. I learned how to maintain it and keep it accurate in it's measurements. Having the treadmill at home actually decreases the amount of time spent exercising by eliminating the 'getting to and coming back' from a gym.

Muscle strength is a function of how much maximum force your muscles can exert against resistance. Exercises for strength will also provide a temporary aerobic cardio-vascular workout and effect, but the main goal is to increase your capability to function while under resistance.

Think about having to lift the weight of your body, with a pack, with each step going up the Pyrenees. Or being able to lift and carry a load. Or the constant resistance of your body weight and pack to your shoulders and to the 'core' muscles in your back and abdomen.

Some basic strengthening exercises for home include:
  1. push-ups
  2. lunges
  3. squats
  4. planks.
Rather than try and describe the steps involved in properly doing each exercise, do a google search to show you the way to do these exercises.

Again, make steady progress NOT quick progress. The goal is to keep you injury free while you are getting stronger.

This is what I do for strength training and core conditioning. Again, take it easy and build gradually.

In addition to the exercises I listed, I use two pieces of equipment:

1. A cheap set of dumb bells
  2. A TRX strap system.
Again, Google will provide and describe and show the basic exercises for this type of equipment. The TRX system is an offshoot of what several folks used in the military while in combat zones where there is no weight lifting equipment. Back then, it was cargo webbing straps. From that, someone made a gazillion dollars with a nicer, more modern iteration all nicely packaged up and all professional looking :)

Why didn't I think of doing that? o_O

Other conditioning issues involve things like ankles, feet, and flexibility. Do a search on this forum for posts I have made about exercises to help prevent shin splints and to help prevent plantars fasciitis.

Regardless of which exercises you are doing, include frequent walks. Not workouts ... just walk at a comfortable pace and for a comfortable period of time. Use this opportunity to try out footwear for Camino. Look for the beginning niggling of potential problems with your feet and joints so that you have plenty of time to have them looked at by a provider and deal with any treatment plan.

After you've been involved in your fitness regimen for about three months, put on the clothing and footwear you will be using on Camino, load up your pack, and for several days in a row walk for a 3 to 4 hour period. See how you feel and at what pace you are able to best sustain yourself. That will give you a baseline estimate to calculate logistical issues surrounding the question of how far can I comfortably walk within a given amount of time. If you feel you need more time with conditioning before doing that type of walking, then wait for another month or two.

Yes, things and conditions can be different once you are on Camino as the unexpected arises, but those walks will help not only give you some insight and guidance, but also help build your confidence.

It will also let you know how your feet, knees, back and shoulders are doing.

More than anything else, enjoy the entire process of getting ready for Camino. Keep thinking about your personal goals for doing Camino and what type of experience you are hoping for. Also, think about what you can contribute, as a pilgrim, to the spirit and nature of the Camino when you begin your first steps toward Santiago.
Hi Dave
Thx so much for your great advice. I will definitely read up on the cardio conditioning you mention. It’s good to know that I can be improving my fitness even if I may not be able to go as far or as fast as others. That’s a good thing for me to keep in mind as I have sometimes been very hard on myself. As for strength training I am already doing many of the things you mention with help from a personal trainer. OK I do not know which I hate more, lunges or squats, but believe me, I am very familiar with them. And don’t get me started in TRX straps uggg.
Also Thanks to you I may find another use for the treadmill in the living room besides as a rack for clothes in need of mending.
You mention other articles you have written about avoiding injury. You must have been channeling my concerns because 10 minutes before I read your response to me I read your article about avoiding shin splints. I am writing the alphabet with my left foot as I am writing, backwards and with my eyes closed just for the challenge. LOL

Thanks again for the advice and encouragement. I will as someone suggested go over your advice with a fine tooth comb. And I may regret it later but I will let my trainer read your suggestions so that she can find new ways to torture..er I mean, teach me some new tricks.
Cheers
Mar

Mar,

I walked the way as a solo woman. You’ll be fine and will likely meet quite a few solo women your age give or take ten years out and about as well; except during winter.

@davebugg has great advice.

Buen camino.
Hi
Thanks for your encouragement. It means a lot to me to know other women are cheering for me. I will listen to Dave and his good advice.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi @Mar Oregon, welcome to the forum. I don't know where in Oregon you are, but there are two APOC chapters in Oregon - Portlandia chapter, and the Southern Oregon chapter, of which I am one of the chapter coordinators. If you are in my area I'd love to see you at one of our meetings!
Hello Trecile,
Thanks for your welcome and info about local chapters. I live in the Portland area and I will look them up for sure. I did not know about the local groups. I’m glad to learn about them.
Thx again
Mar

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Hi I am finally beginning to consider becoming a pilgrim on El Camino for real. At least for today. Maybe spring of 2020.
I retired a couple years ago and finding that I absolutely love not working, I am filling my time with all those things I ‘always wanted to do’. These include painting woodworking and carving, endless needle crafts and taking a class then building a skin on frame kayak. I have even begun to make leather shoes. 7 pair and counting.
Walking el Camino has been on my list for several years. I am not in the best physical shape right now although I did lots of hiking when I was younger. I am working to change that now with more walking and lots of hours at the gym. Even if I don’t end up on the path, I need those things.
I would appreciate any advice on getting in shape both physically and mentally especially from any 60 plus women who have been a pilgrim on the path.

My partner may not be able to go with me for more than a few miles due to mobility issues so likely I will be on my own. Solo hikers chime in. Would love to hear from others about the time of year you walked, favorite pieces of gear, little luxuries you brought along and things you might do differently.
Mar
@Mar Oregon
I would like to encourage you to walk. Just walk, a lot, on varied terrain. I recently returned from a month in Mexico, running away from the Calgary winter and working at keeping up my fitness and my confidence. I walked, every day, at least an hour or more. Shortly before I returned home, I missed a bus in the evening and decided to walk the direct uphill route back to my hotel. I found myself moving faster and faster as my pace was smooth and the air cool enough to push a bit. My breath was coming faster, my heart pumping faster, and I felt wonderful. All I did to get in shape was to walk and to swim. I like walking and swimming. And I believe that they are very good preparation for my next pilgrimage. I am 70 years old and have walked three long camino routes in the last four years: 800 km. 900 km, and 1,000 km. I shall walk another this fall. In the summer, I shall take my pack and go off in the mountains to walk. I believe you have some very nice mountains in Oregon. I suggest that walking with a pack is very good preparation for walking with a pack. Don't push too hard. Just get going and enjoy your mobility. It feels wonderful.

@Mar Oregon
I would like to encourage you to walk. Just walk, a lot, on varied terrain. I recently returned from a month in Mexico, running away from the Calgary winter and working at keeping up my fitness and my confidence. I walked, every day, at least an hour or more. Shortly before I returned home, I missed a bus in the evening and decided to walk the direct uphill route back to my hotel. I found myself moving faster and faster as my pace was smooth and the air cool enough to push a bit. My breath was coming faster, my heart pumping faster, and I felt wonderful. All I did to get in shape was to walk and to swim. I like walking and swimming. And I believe that they are very good preparation for my next pilgrimage. I am 70 years old and have walked three long camino routes in the last four years: 800 km. 900 km, and 1,000 km. I shall walk another this fall. In the summer, I shall take my pack and go off in the mountains to walk. I believe you have some very nice mountains in Oregon. I suggest that walking with a pack is very good preparation for walking with a pack. Don't push too hard. Just get going and enjoy your mobility. It feels wonderful.

You inspire me with your 3 long walks. congrats to you doing that. I too like to swim so I may need to put that into my regular gym routine. There is a nice pool at my gym and it’s open 24 hrs so I won’t be able to say I can’t fit it in.
You are right. Oregon does have some pretty great mountains. 90 minutes to the east of me are the Cascade Mts and 60 minutes to the west is the Coast Range Mts. Plus just 15 minutes N of me is Portland’s Forest Park, with close to 30 miles of hiking trails. Clearly I have no excuses for not going outside. Thx again for your encouragement. Enjoy your hikes.

Dave and Tom, You two are like "two peas in a pod" when it comes to very thorough postings that are always so very helpful. You guys are like a "camino manual" unto yourselves. This forum is blessed to have both of your input!

Aw shucks ma'am! Thank you for your kind words.

Referencing some of my earlier posts where I strongly advise getting physical exams BEFORE Camino season, yesterday I had a cardiac PET stress test. That is the one where they inject radioactive tracer elements to thoroughly image your heart and arteries to diagnose heart problems.

I do NOT currently have a problem, at least I think not. On Monday, I will see the cardiologist and get the test results. The reason for the test was at the suggestion of my general practitioner who suggested it, as a baseline... given my age (65/66) and large stature... ;-0

Since January, and in keeping with my practice of full diagnostics and exams BEFORE I get on the plane to Spain, I have:

Had my:
  • annual eye exam (no change, still watching developing cataract)
  • semi-annual physical check up (good to go)
  • some soft tissue surgery out of the way, so I heal fully (I am getting there)
  • dentist visit (no cavities mom!)
My full-body dermatology exam is tomorrow. I have appointments for the other specialist examinations and lab procedures that I do semi-annually, either in March or in April.

I leave for my next Camino on 1 May.

Thank you again.

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Like I've said many times before, Tom, you are very t h o r o u g h no matter what the subject! Will look forward to your report on the Primitivo and the left turn at Lugo...or is that a right turn? 😉

I am not in the best physical shape right now although I did lots of hiking when I was younger.

@Mar Oregon , I can only claim to be +60 (plus a bit more).

But here goes anyway.

Like you I did hiking (although we call it tramping) when I was in my 20s in the surrounding hills up to 5,000 feet asl. The disciplines learnt then (for example of making early starts to make the day as flexible as possible and keeping things as simple as possible) have conditioned my approach to long distance walking.

Some seven years ago my wife challenged me to "do that walk" when the opportunity arose. At the time I had a BMI obesely over the sweet spot. And my first training walk of 5 km down hill was agony and took far too long. And that was without a pack.

It took me four years before I could start. I slowly built up my stamina, got my head around doing distance, made many trials (and errors) with my gear and got my weight down - both trainng and a reduction of volume - not 'fancy' diets - to the sweet spot of 25 BMI.

Since starting out (from Le Puy) in April 2016 I have completed six long walks (although one was a bit of a ramble) and covered about 3,000 km and completed more than 4,000 km in training.

I currently have only two local training routes (starting from near home) that can give me 20 km or more. One is north east and the other is south west. I hope to get my easterly route back next year, when the road works across it are finished, as that gives me elevation experiences.

Each training trip I aim, with all my gear, to:
  1. complete 15 km before stopping for breakfast;
  2. ascend 400 metres before stopping for breakfast;
  3. after that complete as many km as the weather (heat, rain or wind), and my inclination, will allow.

The one aspect that I have not covered off is getting the muscles in my upper legs used to the equivalent of walking up stairs. For me, any exercise except walking that has my head moving is not possible. So that is a work in progress.

@Mar Oregon , for the time ahead, kia kaha (take care, be strong, get going)

Mar

Lots of responses with lots of length and good advice. My simple advice? Just walk...walk to find your own comfort zone as far as personal pace and plan your days on the camino with those ranges in mind. Don't follow the pack as far as having to get to prescribed stages...find YOUR pace and stay there. Having said that, I recommend stairs, stairs, and more stairs to help develop your quads. Everywhere in Europe is hills and stairs! Most churches, monasteries, cities, were built on hilltops for defense reasons and it's likely that at the end of a long day, you'll be climbing a hill...lol I head out to the local college and high school outdoor athletic complexes and just walk up and down stadium stairs in the sunshine...free training. My second recommendation is to take pilates. It helps build a strong core for balance, a strong back, good posture. I was 9 mos post mastectomy on my first Camino and pilates was the key to my stamina and strength. Don't forget to stretch! Learn how to stretch before, during, and after walking and make it as normal as breathing.
In my experience, September/October are more appealing to an older walker as most of the families and college kids have returned to school. It's still warm in September with gradual cooling as the weeks go by.
Buen Camino to you and your partner...Walk with Joy !

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Sophie
Thanks so much for your simple and much appreciated advice. I love the idea of finding someplace with lots of stairs. I’ll need to do some research for a local stadium. Meanwhile I have a Dr apt tomorrow on the 7th floor. Guess I’ll take the stairs. Oh and I’ll check w my gym for Pilates classes. For sure.

Love the idea of September too. Would love to avoid crowds of students. Nothing wrong with being a college student, I’m just not sure I can deal with a whole lot of youthful energy for days on end or should I say evenings.

Your story inspires me as well! When I am tempted to complain about being too tired or hurting I will remind myself that people with all kinds of struggles have done it. Thank you for letting me know that even a mastectomy didn’t stop you.

But here goes anyway.

Like you I did hiking (although we call it tramping) when I was in my 20s in the surrounding hills up to 5,000 feet asl. The disciplines learnt then (for example of making early starts to make the day as flexible as possible and keeping things as simple as possible) have conditioned my approach to long distance walking.

Some seven years ago my wife challenged me to "do that walk" when the opportunity arose. At the time I had a BMI obesely over the sweet spot. And my first training walk of 5 km down hill was agony and took far too long. And that was without a pack.

It took me four years before I could start. I slowly built up my stamina, got my head around doing distance, made many trials (and errors) with my gear and got my weight down - both trainng and a reduction of volume - not 'fancy' diets - to the sweet spot of 25 BMI.

Since starting out (from Le Puy) in April 2016 I have completed six long walks (although one was a bit of a ramble) and covered about 3,000 km and completed more than 4,000 km in training.

I currently have only two local training routes (starting from near home) that can give me 20 km or more. One is north east and the other is south west. I hope to get my easterly route back next year, when the road works across it are finished, as that gives me elevation experiences.

3. after that complete as many km as the weather (heat, rain or wind), and my inclination, will allow.
The one aspect that I have not covered off is getting the muscles in my upper legs used to the equivalent of walking up stairs. For me, any exercise except walking that has my head moving is not possible. So that is a work in progress.

But here goes anyway.

hello Allwyn
I too love to do most things early in the day so that I can be more flexible and spontaneous later in the day. I hate having my plans have to ‘simmer’ until I can get to them, otherwise they sometimes don’t happen. But that 15 km before breakfast?!? You are a braver person that I am. I might need to have at least a banana or something ;)

As you suggest I think I will find a couple of longer routes I can use for the longer training walks so that I can keep track of miles and times more easily. Great idea. Thx.
I haven’t considered how much weight I ‘need’ to lose until just now, but I have only assumed that I ‘will’ lose weight now that I have increased my activity level. I agree watching what and how much I does seem much more practical than all the fancy diets as you say.
Thanks for reaching out. Each person who has written has inspired me to go for ‘that walk’, including you and your wife. For now I’m will take care, be strong and get going.

But here goes anyway.

Hi allwyn
Thanks for reaching out. Each person who has written has inspired me to go big or go home. You are no exception.
You are a tougher person than I if you can walk 15 km before breakfast. I personally might need a banana or a handful of nuts, or alternatively, a stack of pancakes with syrup, eggs, orange juice and a cup of tea and ...oh wait... that was my old life. 😉 But how about I try for 5 k ...at first. I promise I will think of you when I can manage the 15 before breakfast.

Love your idea for having a couple different longer routes to choose from. That would save me from having to keep mileage and times in mind. I happen to live fairly close to a hilly forested park with many miles of trails. That will be my go to for the longer walks. It’s possible to combine various trails to custom fit hikes for miles and elevation gain. I better get busy with my park map. In the mean time I plan as you say, to take care, be strong and get going, out my front door.
Thank your wife for me. She inspired you and you inspired me.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
But how about I try for 5 k
I like to walk between 5 - 10 km before breakfast.

Something I should have included is "work up to".

And, yes, my first walk was for 5 km. It took a month to crack 20 km trips and four months to crack 30 km. Stops were often. It was then I realised I need some focus to get my body and mind ready for walking day after day. And I was aware that, on camino, breakfast stops could be some distance from my overnight albergue.

The 15 km is nominal. Today I completed just over 18 km before stopping for breakfast (and stopped for the day just 3 km later) and gained about 200 metres of elevation in the process. The alternative was to stop for breakfast at about 11 km.

These are training walks. When en route enjoying each day is paramount. And my stamina etc is, for me, a way to help me do that.

Yes thanks. I understand I will need to work up to the distances you described. I think those numbers just scared me a little at first but I am finally getting my thoughts to expand to embrace longer distances without weeping openly. Today I did manage to walk to the bathroom before I stopped for breakfast.🥵 Just kidding..I ate some of it while on my way to the bathroom.
I am so glad to read your final thoughts about enjoying every day once you are on your pilgrimage. You are so right. The training is training, not necessarily fun but it is leading up to a really great experience.

@Mar Oregon
@AlwynWellington's method of getting into shape worked for him. If you feel attracted to it or feel that it will work for you, all the better. But unless you find some particular advantage in waiting a long time for breakfast, or working yourself up to walking 30 km, neither of these practices is necessary in order to get into shape to walk the Camino Frances. To try to push yourself may be as pointless for you as it was for me. Before my first camino, I tried to develop a daily walking routine while walking to work each day, pushing myself to walk faster. Within a week or so, I had developed shin splints, which I had never heard of before then. I had to abandon my efforts at fast walking. Fortunately, I had many years of mountain walking behind me and knew that I liked it and was able to do it. I went on a couple of short walking trips in the mountains in the summer before my pilgrimage. I still remember my first day's walk up to Orisson. I walked at an easy, fairly slow pace, for the altitude gain and the weight of my pack. Partway up, a senior couple stopped me to comment that they had been watching me and I had just kept on walking, without stopping for a rest. So I explained that I was walking my own pace and did not need to stop. I was just enjoying the day. I did take several short days at the beginning of my pilgrimage, but was soon in my stride. I enjoyed the daily walking so much that I arrived in Santiago nearly two weeks ahead of my scheduled flight home.
You may benefit by some particular exercises or stretches to help you get into shape. But, ultimately, it is just your body walking, outdoors, in varied terrain, and with the weight of a pack. Keep it as light as practical. You must find your own pace, in order to enjoy your walk and keep it up for 800 km (500 miles) without risking injury. Our bodies are designed for walking. Just get moving and enjoy your walks.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
@Albertagirl is right. You don't need to do someone else's training plan. I certainly didn't most people suggest that you train often with you pack. I think that I did two training walks with my pack, just so that I knew that I could carry it. The longest training walk that I did was 15 miles/24 km. I did about 5 consecutive days walking 10 miles without my backpack, mostly to see how well my feet would do with the shoes and socks that I had chosen. It's so important to know your feet well! I have neuropathy in my feet, and sometimes get a burning pain that I think might be a hotspot. I have learned to just tape balls of my feet every morning so that I know that they are protected from blisters. I finished up that week with the 15 mile walk with backpack on. I took a break after each five miles, usually at a Starbucks which was near the bike trail that I was training on. I started my training around May, and started the Camino at the end of August. I was 58 and had never backpacked in my life before.

I saw many people at the beginning of the Camino that seemed so out of shape that I didn't think that they would make it, but saw them again triumphant in Santiago. And it seems easier to walk 15 miles a day on the Camino when it's your only real job, than when you're at home and have all of your regular life to attend to.

@Mar Oregon
@AlwynWellington's method of getting into shape worked for him. If you feel attracted to it or feel that it will work for you, all the better. But unless you find some particular advantage in waiting a long time for breakfast, or working yourself up to walking 30 km, neither of these practices is necessary in order to get into shape to walk the Camino Frances. To try to push yourself may be as pointless for you as it was for me. Before my first camino, I tried to develop a daily walking routine while walking to work each day, pushing myself to walk faster. Within a week or so, I had developed shin splints, which I had never heard of before then. I had to abandon my efforts at fast walking. Fortunately, I had many years of mountain walking behind me and knew that I liked it and was able to do it. I went on a couple of short walking trips in the mountains in the summer before my pilgrimage. I still remember my first day's walk up to Orisson. I walked at an easy, fairly slow pace, for the altitude gain and the weight of my pack. Partway up, a senior couple stopped me to comment that they had been watching me and I had just kept on walking, without stopping for a rest. So I explained that I was walking my own pace and did not need to stop. I was just enjoying the day. I did take several short days at the beginning of my pilgrimage, but was soon in my stride. I enjoyed the daily walking so much that I arrived in Santiago nearly two weeks ahead of my scheduled flight home.
You may benefit by some particular exercises or stretches to help you get into shape. But, ultimately, it is just your body walking, outdoors, in varied terrain, and with the weight of a pack. Keep it as light as practical. You must find your own pace, in order to enjoy your walk and keep it up for 800 km (500 miles) without risking injury. Our bodies are designed for walking. Just get moving and enjoy your walks.
Hi Glad to hear from you. I am pretty sure I will figure out a plan for myself, one I can commit to and one that will allow me to make the improvements I need to be well prepared on the first day of my Camino and all the rest. I am looking forward getting a rudimentary plan/schedule on paper this coming weekend. I am a disorganized person and easily distracted. I asked a friend who has done many long walks to sit down with me and help me develop a training plan. I’m sure it will be a work on progress. I just need to start. I am actually hoping that I can eventually just become a more physically fit and active person, not just for the Camino but for the rest of my life. If luck and genetics are on my side it will be a long one. My dad is 95 in a couple months and he still goes to the gym 5 days a week.
I imagine each person on this thread has figured out what works best for them and I am delighted to learn the pilgrimage crowd are (is?) a kind and generous bunch of people who just want to share with and be helpful to other perigrinos. And I also know myself well enough to know that although I may try on someone else’s plan, I won’t stick with it unless it works for me in particular.
It has been so helpful and informative to hear what others have done to train. I can see, or at least imagine, a little bit of what each person is like based on what they have written and how they train.
For example one of my responders is a voracious reader in order to feed his never ending curiosity. When he has questions he does research and then passes on what he has learned. He does this cheerfully without any need to gain praise. Another person is a very independent woman who will politely listen to other people’s suggestions, nod her head and then do it her own way anyway. She is strong and self assured but it might be hard for her to admit she actually liked that one suggestion you gave her. She is fiercely loyal to her friends but it takes some time for her to let you in.
Oh then there is Mr All-business...just get down to it and stick with the plan. He is not deterred or bothered by circumstances he can’t control. Nor is he pushy about what he thinks you should do, but he has to scratch his head sometimes because he just doesn’t understand why everyone isn’t just like him.
Whether I am right or wrong about these impressions, they are helping me see how deeply personal the Camino is for each person who attempts it. One thing all these people seem to have in common is courage and faith in themselves (call that God if you like) to be able to make it to the end. To all of you who have been willing to share and offer help I am deeply appreciative.

Mar
Hi there again! I am really enjoying reading your posts in this thread (and the "bladder" one). You remind me of ME 12 months ago, getting ready to celebrate my 65th Birthday year by walking my 1st Camino in Sept-Oct. And, I did it, and it was wonderful, mostly in ways I hadn't anticipated. I was practice-walking from Nov 2017, and had booked& paid for the flights in January, was buying gear and booked into Orisson and joined this Forum by early March 2018 and then - had a health scare and spent 5 days in Hospital in mid March! But, I was a basically healthy and fit 64 back then and determined to walk, however it turned out. So I did start walking and it was mostly OK and on the 35th day, my friend and I met up to walk the last 10 k's into Santiago de Compostella together. Kerry walked all 800 k's, I didn't because I had to stop a few times. I will walk again next year, meanwhile I walk each week with a Nordic Walking group and I ALWAYS take the stairs, avoiding lifts or escalators. I was 60 plus plus my first time but I want to keep going now. Travel well and Buen Camino! (And take heed of davebugg's advice: I did and it helped a lot).

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
@trecile and @Albertagirl , greetings

You are both right. My intention was to describe what worked for me and which took many years to work up to. And at the same time get my weight down. With the effect I was carrying far less weight overall. I blanched when, a few years ago, I looked at the photo taken of me near O Pedrouzo in early July 2010.

And this is the place to share our various experiences, but NOT to claim they are a universal truth. (I usually include the phrase "suggest you consider" when writing, but omitted to do so on this occassion. So appreciate my scribblings may have sounded like an instruction. Not my intention.)

And others take from them or not as they see fit. And then find what works for them.

I suspect @Mar Oregon may see my notes as extreme. That's OK.

To you all I say kia kaha (take care, be strong, get going)

PS: Coming as I do from the furthest ends of the earth with the consequential cost and time involvement, a major motivation is to not fail through lack of readiness for what lies ahead.

Most read last week in this forum

Can anyone tell me where I can purchase a Vodafone sim card in SJPD or any other town . I start in SJPD I prefer to have a sim rather then a esim
Hace dos días falleció a los 78 años Pepe Puertas "el peregrino de La Rioja" Todos los años en Julio hacía el camino francés completo para llegar a Compostela el 25 de Julio. Año tras año durante...
Hello my name is Brenda and I am establishing a daily AA meeting 6-7 pm at Casa Anglican WhatsApp 416-8018176 for daily updates Thankyou. Buen Camino
Hi we are walking from Puebla De Sanabria to Terroso tomorrow and given the downpours we have had today, I wondered if anyone had any updates???
Hello. I’m Steph from USA Arriving in pamplona May 27 2024 Is anyone arriving that destination & date so we can coordinate transportation to SJPP. TIA
Hello fellow peregrines, I’m Davide , a 30,yrs old Italian guy from Barcelona ! I was always fascinated by the Camino de Santiago and my eyes got lucent when a day to the pueblo español I saw...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.