• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

A Camino interrupted

Time of past OR future Camino
VdlP(2012) Madrid(2014)Frances(2015) VdlP(2016)
VdlP(2017)Madrid/Sanabres/Frances reverse(2018)
I was just thinking that I should edit my details, which list the Via de la Plata as completed this year.
In fact it wasn't. I had to abandon my camino in Plasencia, when I received word that my older brother was dying. My brother lived in Portugal, and I had visited him, and shared many a glass of vino tinto just before commencing the camino, so this came as quite a shock.
By coincidence, my companion peregrino had an accident that same day; he came off his bike in busy traffic on the road into Plasencia. He broke a rib and injured a thumb badly, so probably would not have been any state to continue. I won't easily forget being flagged down by a passing vehicle, and turning to see several cars with hazard lights flashing and a group of people leaning over my friend prone on the bitumen, and his bike in the ditch. One of those moments you dread.

I returned to Portugal, and was there when my brother died.
He was my hero when I was younger. He went to sea when he was 17, and would come home on leave and dazzle me with wonderful stories of exotic places. He had been round the Horn about 20 times in his career; in his later years he was the captain of a container ship too big to fit through the Panama canal. At his funeral, an old, white haired, full bearded and rather scruffy man showed up. He had been a crew member on my brother's ship when it lost all power for 2 days in a Pacific typhoon. (They lost 120 containers thrown overboard, with 80 smashed on deck by the mountainous seas, some of which punctured the deck so the ship was taking on water. It's quite a story.) The "ancient mariner" told me "Your brother saved my life; no other captain I ever sailed with could have got us through that". Quite an epitaph.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
So sorry for your loss, Paul. Thanks for sharing your story with us.

Not much consolation, but I'm sure you were glad to be in Europe when your brother died.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I would like to mention the help we received from Triana Backpackers, who had rented us the bikes in Seville. Pauline arranged an immediate pick-up of the bikes from a bike shop just down the road from the hotel we stayed in that night. (And I should add the the bike was not responsible for the accident!)

Paul: Thank you for sharing this special story. It shows that the real Caminos don't always end in Santiago. ..... and I'm pretty certain you will return to Spain

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Paul, I'm very sorry for this unexpected and sad turn--both in your Camino with your companion's crash, and in your life with the loss of your brother. He sounds like he was quite an amazing person. When you pick up your interrupted Camino again, you might think of dedicating it to him.

Last edited:
.....When you pick up your interrupted Camino again, you might think of dedicating it to him.
Thanks for those thoughts Viranani. And yes, dedicating a Camino is an intention I now share with quite a few members of the forum. It's an added human and spiritual dimension to the purpose of pilgrimage don't you think. (After all, I would be unlikely to dedicate my next holiday to his memory.)
I hope to remember him at the mass in the English chaplaincy when, if all goes well, I arrive next year.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Peace to you and yours. Here is a saying I find comforting when someone close has died. It appears fitting for your brother.

Henry Scott Holland, on dying:

I am standing on the seashore. A ship spreads her white sails to the morning breeze and starts for the ocean. I stand watching her until she fades on the horizon, and someone at my side says, “She is gone.”

Gone where? The loss of sight is in me, not in her. Just at the moment when someone says, “She is gone,” there are others who are watching her coming. Other voices take up the glad shout, “Here she comes,” and that is dying.

Melanie

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Peace to you and yours. Here is a saying I find comforting when someone close has died. It appears fitting for your brother.

Henry Scott Holland, on dying:

I am standing on the seashore. A ship spreads her white sails to the morning breeze and starts for the ocean. I stand watching her until she fades on the horizon, and someone at my side says, “She is gone.”

Gone where? The loss of sight is in me, not in her. Just at the moment when someone says, “She is gone,” there are others who are watching her coming. Other voices take up the glad shout, “Here she comes,” and that is dying.

Melanie
Thank you Melanie.
I am just connecting your name with the avatar photo, and realise that you were a singular inspiration to me on my first camino!

I was just thinking that I should edit my details, which list the Via de la Plata as completed this year.
In fact it wasn't. I had to abandon my camino in Plasencia, when I received word that my older brother was dying. My brother lived in Portugal, and I had visited him, and shared many a glass of vino tinto just before commencing the camino, so this came as quite a shock.

So sorry for your loss !!

It is a blessing though that you were there for him, and surely a comfort.

I think you're right to say "interrupted" -- that sounds like something to be completed, and if you do it will be the same Pilgrimage, not a different one.

God Bless you, and God save your brother's soul.

Thanks for those thoughts Viranani. And yes, dedicating a Camino is an intention I now share with quite a few members of the forum. It's an added human and spiritual dimension to the purpose of pilgrimage don't you think. (After all, I would be unlikely to dedicate my next holiday to his memory.)
I hope to remember him at the mass in the English chaplaincy when, if all goes well, I arrive next year.

Have you thought about re-starting from where he lived and making your way from there back to Plasencia ?

I certainly agree about the added human and spiritual dimension to the purpose of your pilgrimage.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi Paul, good to see your post on the forum...my injuries have all healed but not to sure about the damage to my pride before the fall. Nevertheless I am fit and raring to go next June...JP has a good idea! Loved sharing the time with you and your brothers in Portugal, so it would be a fitting place to start again.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Most read last week in this forum

I have been reading 2 different reports (on FB and instagram) about (an) agressive dog(s) just after Oseira. I'll post them here: In the group of @geraldkelly on FB (4 days ago): Hello lovely Via...
After a smooth and uneventful flight from Chicago to Madrid on Iberia, the last three days we have been doing some sightseeing in Salamanca and Zamora, and our days have been sunny, a little cool...
After 13 days of walking I've finished my 337km walk on the Camino Sanabres, and my entire 1400km walk from Almería. Yay! If anyone's interested in a day-by-day report, you can find it on my...
One route looks a bit steeper, one a bit longer (not much). How else are they different? Recommendations?
I left them on the trail about 4-5 k before Cea I expect to be in Santiago on April 27-28. Mu email is written on the sides of the poles (for just this eventuality). If you find them and we can...
Hello, Has anyone travelled by train or bus from Santiago to Zamora on to Granja de Moreruela, I've checked online and it seems there is a train from Santiago to Zamora. I will be flying from the...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back