• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

A contrarians view on packing

Simonvw

I've just finished 350kms of the Camino de Santiago from St John Pied Port finishing in Burgos. Here is my take on what to take and not to take.

Sleeping Bags:

Take a liner and don't bother with a sleeping bag. Despite some cold weather we sweltered in the Alberques every night. Pack 20 people into a room and it warms up. I did not sleep in the bag one night.

The Pack:

We took the advice of people and bought 35 litre packs. I have a 70 litre pack. If I did it again I'd take the 70 litre. The smaller packs are such a nuisance to pack. We only carried 10kgs but in the small pack it always required a fiddle. Take the bigger pack and be happy for the space.

Also the bigger packs usually have a bottom section of about 25 litres separated from the bigger top. That structure in perfect. You'd pack most of what you need at nights in the bottom and seldom fiddle with the top.

The 35 litre drove me crazy because I had to unpack the entire thing everywhere.

Rain gear:

We had horrendous weather on the Pyrenees and I can tell you that ponchos are a complete waste of time as are those pack covers. Get a parka and pants and use a pack liner not a cover.

Weight:

There was one pilgrim with a 70 litter pack filled to capacity and a 20 litre pack on his front. He suffered. I've done a lot of walking. In the Wilderness you might have to carry 20 plus kgs but you don't walk as far. The additional weight will really spoil your experience.

Best item:

Keene sandals - I was able to wear them out at night with socks if it was cold.

So my list:

underpants and socks - 2 pairs
Shorts for walking with leggings if it cold
2 shirts
Rain gear
Long pants for evening while shorts get a wash
Fleece
Baselayer - 1 top and bottom.
Hat

Boots:

Boots are stiff - that means your foot does not bend like it does in a shoe. Your feet get less tired in boots.

Technical clothing:

Yes it's just easier. It dries quickly - still insulates when wet.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Welcome Simon and thanks for the advice and packing list!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
It is an interesting list. That said, many things you need or do not depend on time of year and personal tolerance for cold, rain or heat.

I have an Osprey 48L pack. I like it because of all the storage and multiple access panels. In particular, attached pack cover and bottom access panel to easily remove my sleeping bag without going through the whole pack.

I agree with the comment on rain gear versus poncho. The poncho in my opinion just blows around too much in wet, windy weather.

I would never walk without a sleeping bag. My Camino's are in the early Spring and it is cold in the mornings and nights. A nice lightweight down bag work well for me. It is also treated with premethian (sp.), I always sleep in my bag.

The season you walk has a major impact on your packing list, imo.

Ultreya,
Joe

Pretty good advice.
I would still definitely bring a waterproof pack-cover. A good one, that fits and secures well. Treat it with a waterproofing spray (I used Scotchgard) before you start your Camino. Also carry a waterproof bag to put your stuff into inside the pack. Doubles the protection. I used both in combination and my stuff stayed dry despite a couple of really rainy days on the Camino.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Interesting to read other people's perspectives about this topic. A lot of what you said I had found the same - for those items I did not outright agree it was because I had never thought of them in that way. For example the bigger pack or boots. Thanks for sharing Simon I trust you had a good experience and I appreciate you sharing your experience.

Its funny how something is perfect for one person and not another. Boots gave my feet problems for the entire journey from SJPDP to Santiago, no blisters but aching from the inflexibility, while when I have gone with softer more flexible mids my feet have been fine.
Agree with you about sleeping bags to some extent, ended up sleeping on top of mine most of the time, but in very late autumn or early spring then you will get very cold nights when dorms in some places are like ice boxes, then liners do not cut it and blankets may be non existent.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Congratulations on your camino! It's funny how we are all so different... goes to show just how unique this experience.

Sleeping Bags:

Take a liner and don't bother with a sleeping bag. Despite some cold weather we sweltered in the Alberques every night. Pack 20 people into a room and it warms up. I did not sleep in the bag one night.

:D:D One Man's meat is another woman's poison :D:D

I started mid september and finished 21st october in Santiago and I was cold. I only took a liner because so many folks on here suggested it for your very reasons. I'm generally a person that prefers to be cool rather than too warm so it seemed a good solution for me. But I learned quickly that I really wanted a sleeping bag... because of the way weekends and public holidays fell it was Astorga before I could buy one... and oh how I loved my cosy sleeping bag.

I found that folks wanted the windows open in albergues - I was waking at around 2:00 - 3:00 in the morning as I was too cold... I ended up sleeping fully dressed with fleece and using my sarong as a blanket... I would say I only found blankets 10% of the time.

The Pack:

We took the advice of people and bought 35 litre packs. I have a 70 litre pack. If I did it again I'd take the 70 litre. The smaller packs are such a nuisance to pack. We only carried 10kgs but in the small pack it always required a fiddle. Take the bigger pack and be happy for the space.

Also the bigger packs usually have a bottom section of about 25 litres separated from the bigger top. That structure in perfect. You'd pack most of what you need at nights in the bottom and seldom fiddle with the top.

The 35 litre drove me crazy because I had to unpack the entire thing everywhere.

Interesting as I took a 48L and did wonder about downsizing... I never filled it up and my pack was around 8-9kg so pretty comfortable... maybe I'll hold onto it as I guess air doesn't weigh anything

Rain gear:

We had horrendous weather on the Pyrenees and I can tell you that ponchos are a complete waste of time as are those pack covers. Get a parka and pants and use a pack liner not a cover.

Agreed... I spent a fair amount of a very nice poncho/coat hybrid... It did keep me dry but only after I modified the big loose sleeves with hair scrunchies to stop the water rolling down my arm. the girl I walked with had an altus poncho/coat which had proper sleeves, a hump for the pack and did up at the front like a coat... I was very envious of her coat (she bought it in Astorga for half the price I paid for my poncho).

I also ended up buying waterproof pants in Sarria. It was raining 'stair-rods' and the damp/wet on the bottom of my trousers was spreading upwards... the waterproof pants kept me totally dry. Only problem was I had to buy XXXL pants so they were pretty baggy... but I will replace them as they were excellent.

And my friend gave me her altus when we finished... so I was a very happy girl!

I also packed everything inside my bag in a selection of waterproof stuff sacks... it made it easier to find things and I was confident stuff would stay dry

Weight:

There was one pilgrim with a 70 litter pack filled to capacity and a 20 litre pack on his front. He suffered. I've done a lot of walking. In the Wilderness you might have to carry 20 plus kgs but you don't walk as far. The additional weight will really spoil your experience.

I was paranoid about weight before I left but ended up adding sleeping bag, waterproof trousers, moisturiser, heavyish pack of dehydration salts that you add to water and some lip gloss... I guess I got fitter as the walk progressed as I never noticed the extra weight of my pack in the end. But I do agree with you that the lighter the pack the easier and happier life is... there were lots of people sending gear on to Santiago in the first few days.

So my list:

2 shirts
Rain gear
Fleece
Hat

I took three pairs of liners and an extra thick pair of socks... I found this gave me some flexibility to mix and match different socks on different feet depending on hot/cold days?

I also took a sarong as recommended on here and this was brilliant... it was a skirt, a blanket, a scarf, a wrap, and a towel... I used it loads

I never took a hat but I had a buff that had lots of uses and doubled up as a hat too

Boots:

Boots are stiff - that means your foot does not bend like it does in a shoe. Your feet get less tired in boots.

I started with boots and bought shoes in Estella? I always perferred walking in boots before but due to blisters had to buy new shoes and I had limited choice... I was very happy in my shoes though

Technical clothing:

Yes it's just easier. It dries quickly - still insulates when wet.

YES YES YES - I bought t-shirts in a sale before I left... I didn't see the point of spending a lot on t-shirts... and I bought 2 the same which was also a very big mistake as I hated them after a week! I ended up ditching them both and buying 2 new ones... I paid more for the new ones but they were technical and they did wick away moisture better, dried better, insulated as you say and were just better in every way! Worth the investment!

I hope you dont think I've been contrary on some of your comments... just thought I'd give a different perspective :oops::)

2 shirts
Rain gear
Fleece
Hat
Is that 2 pairs of underpants, two pairs of socks and two shirts as well as those you are wearing making 3 in total?
Shorts with leggings. Is that a pair of zip-offs? Why have long pants for evenings and not another pair of zip-offs?
Baselayer top and bottom? What do you mean by this?

This thread serves as another wonderful example of why equipment issues involve a significant dose of personal preference, and why each prospective pilgrim must assess his/her equipment needs on his/her own prior to departure. One size does not fit all.

Well intentioned as such advice in forums like this is, the fact is pilgrims /hikers come in all shapes and sizes, and equipment must be selected by each person accordingly, preferably through trial and error well in advance of setting foot on the Camino.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Congratulations on your camino! It's funny how we are all so different... goes to show just how unique this experience.
I found that folks wanted the windows open in albergues - I was waking at around 2:00 - 3:00 in the morning as I was too cold... I ended up sleeping fully dressed with fleece and using my sarong as a blanket... I would say I only found blankets 10% of the time.

I had the opposite experience this past summer. It seemed most of the time people wanted the windows in the albergues closed. Subsequently the albergues would be hot, stuffy (and sometimes smelly) by 2:00 am. If I opened a window at 10:00 pm, by midnight someone would have closed it. I had a bit of a heated discussion in an albergue with a German woman who insisted on having all doors and windows closed because she claimed the night air was unhealthy and made you sick and stated it was a medical fact. I laughed and told her she was living in the dark ages.

This thread serves as another wonderful example of why equipment issues involve a significant dose of personal preference, and why each prospective pilgrim must assess his/her equipment needs on his/her own prior to departure. One size does not fit all.

Well intentioned as such advice in forums like this is, the fact is pilgrims /hikers come in all shapes and sizes, and equipment must be selected by each person accordingly, preferably through trial and error well in advance of setting foot on the Camino.
@Wanderer64, I agree that individuals need to tailor the advice given on this forum to their own circumstances, but I think we can do better than just trial and error. A couple of pieces of advice referred to in the OP come immediately to mind. The first is about pack size.
  • a 35li pack carrying 10kg is a packing density of 285 gm/li. I have found that a packing density of 190 - 210 gm/li is reasonable, and it gets significantly harder to pack at higher packing densities. See @LesBrass's comments above, where her pack would appear to be a little under 190 gm/li.
  • the next part of the puzzle is the weight of your gear. Lets just accept that a bare pack weight between 10-15% of your walking fit body mass is about right. If my arithmetic can be trusted, a 35 li pack packed at 210 gm/li will weigh 7.35 kg. Subtract 1.5 kg for water and snacks, and the residual is just under 6 kg. On that basis, a 35 li pack is suitable for someone roughly between 40 kg and 60 kg. But if you are 60 kg and your load is closer to 15%, you will need a pack closer to 45 li. If you are 75kg, on the same basis, you will need a pack between 45 and 55 li, depending on season and how tight you wish to pack.
  • I know that there are forum members who claim to walk carrying loads far less than 10% of their body mass. Its not impossible, but in general they are prepared to make bigger compromises than others about what they carry.
If one takes all this and creates a generalised rule, it is this - your pack size (in litres) needs to be about half your ideal walking weight (in kg) for a summer camino.
  • less, and it will be more difficult to pack each day
  • more, and you are likely to be carrying a heavier pack than you really need
  • whatever you do, your endurance and comfort will improve when you carry less.
My second observation is that the poster provided almost no context that might really help others in interpreting the advice. What season did they walk in (one assumes if they have just finished and walked from SJPP, they started in late September)? Did it rain? Much? How big are they - what was their walking weight? etc etc. Absolute advice without context is meaningless. It is much more useful if we know something about the conditions under which people undertook their camino, and we can make our own assessments of how applicable it is.

I had the opposite experience this past summer. It seemed most of the time people wanted the windows in the albergues closed. Subsequently the albergues would be hot, stuffy (and sometimes smelly) by 2:00 am. If I opened a window at 10:00 pm, by midnight someone would have closed it. I had a bit of a heated discussion in an albergue with a German woman who insisted on having all doors and windows closed because she claimed the night air was unhealthy and made you sick and stated it was a medical fact. I laughed and told her she was living in the dark ages.

I experienced the same thing, they complained the outside air would get you sick. How does outside air get you sick? Closed windows and doors trapping the heat increases your chances of getting sick.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I experienced the same thing, they complained the outside air would get you sick. How does outside air get you sick? Closed windows and doors trapping the heat increases your chances of getting sick.
Ha ha. Who knows. Comical that people still think that way.

dougfitz,

Your points are well made and well taken, and I don't disagree with anything you say. I just worry that prospective pilgrims with little backpacking experience get a bit confused and overwhelmed by all the precise, technical equipment advice and recommendations. As a seasoned walker and traveller, even I find it all a bit daunting, especially when there is much conflicting opinion about equipment. I find some of the highly technical jargon in these equipment discussions very arcane.

I do agree that equipment advice needs context to be of value. And I also agree that less weight is better for the Camino.

For what it's worth, I couldn't tell you, if my life depended on it, how many litres my pack is, how much it weighs, or it's exact dimensions. I've used it for years simply because it works for me in a variety of walking/travelling environments. For all I know my outdated pack may be the "wrong" one, according to much of the advice given here. But it worked just fine for my Camino.

My one piece of key equipment advice: do your due diligence well before you set out on your Camino, and do not let forum members make or suggest those decisions for you. Part of that indeed may involve reading all the great advice given in this forum. But the more important part is experimenting with different equipment back home to determine what works best for you.

I have seen it get quite heated between pilgrims if the window is open or shut. I am not bothered if I sleep on the bottom or top bunk, but will try to get one next to the window and keep it open, I run (v) hot when sleeping so need it open to help me sleep. If there is mosquitoes in the area you can guarantee there will already be ones in the room.

But if there is a problem with the window being open I think it comes from people outside who might want to be able to get at the items in that room, I heard of a couple occasions when that happened this year.

€60,-
Yeah, I did not weigh my pack in either Camino. Don't know the empty or full weights. Just put my stuff in it and if it felt too heavy threw some stuff out. I carried the pack on the flight on the way to Spain, but checked it in on the way out. That's when I finally saw what it weighed, but don't remember what it was. Besides, by then I had some souvenirs in it and had thrown away or lost some clothing and no had no water bottles in it.

Just an attempt at a joke which hasn't worked.
Yikes. I wore socks with my Tevas all the time on the Camino. Is that bad? :oops:

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Thanks for the responses.

Re the Alberque windows - everywhere we stayed in had closed windows. It was freezing at Roncelvalles and I slept on my sleeping bag. The others were all the same.

re Packsize

The packs we took required careful packing everyday. It was a pain in the butt - I'd rather have had the latitude to toss a few things in. So I'm just saying bigger is better. Also look for one with two compartments in the main body of the pack. It's just easier to get stuff in and out that way so if you can get that feature in a 30l pack go for it.

re shoes

There is no real reason to wear boots. It's not a rough difficult walk so shoes are fine. The real issue is don't get blisters so first and foremost choose whats not going to give you blisters.

Re technical clothing

I agree the terminology is daunting. What I'm saying is, avoid cotton and choose modern fabrics made for the job - hiking clothing. You only need 3 layers. Base layer - you can walk in a base layer top and thermals are handy for your legs if it's cold. Shirt and pants - obviously and something for the cold and rain gear.

re Seasons

We started the walk on the 15th October. The weather was unseasonably warm I'm told.

Is that 2 pairs of underpants, two pairs of socks and two shirts as well as those you are wearing making 3 in total?
Shorts with leggings. Is that a pair of zip-offs? Why have long pants for evenings and not another pair of zip-offs?
Baselayer top and bottom? What do you mean by this?

II'm not including what you are wearing. I'm saying one pair of socks on and one pair in the pack. Same for underpants.

I walked the two cold days in shorts with thermals on underneath - not high fashion but comfortable.

My second observation is that the poster provided almost no context that might really help others in interpreting the advice. What season did they walk in (one assumes if they have just finished and walked from SJPP, they started in late September)? Did it rain? Much? How big are they - what was their walking weight? etc etc. Absolute advice without context is meaningless. It is much more useful if we know something about the conditions under which people undertook their camino, and we can make our own assessments of how applicable it is.[/QUOTE]

I'm 90kgs and we walked from the middle of October. My wife is 60kgs. We both carried just user 10kgs.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Interesting posts .. I have just been converted to Keen Newport sandals - Brilliant! such excellent shaped foot support and such wide, well, foot shaped front. I think the most comfortable footwear I have ever had (I have really wide feet and old bone injuries) - my Merrells now languish in a dark corner of the wardrobe, sobbing quietly.
I disagree re ponchos as there are many designs. I have an Altus and wore that from St Jean to Roncesvalles when it snowed up there with a high wind (early March) and became heavy rain as I came down to Roncesvalles - I stayed dry and comfortable, having all that cool air circulating under the poncho. The standard ponchos, with their weird sort of short sleeves seem a bit of a nightmare to me.
Going by DougFitz's calculations I should use a 45 litre pack .. funnily enough I found that my 35 litre pack is just too full when I pack it - and yes, fiddly with the sorting of it - so I may just be moving towards that 45 litre .... (actually, I am as I have already sold my 35 litre Snugpak!).

Footwear - I took what fit which in this case was shoes and they did the trick
Backpack - I took a 60L since that is what I had. It was convenient having the bottom section for my sleeping bag.
Sleeping bag - I walked in September and it was an ultralight good to 10c. I was glad I had it and augmented it with blankets at times.

There is no 1 good equipment list as everyone and their needs are so different. Read everything and then make your own decision.

Boots: I would say 90% of the people I saw with major foot problems like blisters and ankle problems were wearing low top shoes. I would recommend footwear with some ankle support. No, the Camino is not walking over jagged boulders, but there is a lot of uneven roads and paths with rocks sticking out that are just perfect for turning an ankle. I had a pair of Vasque hiking boots, and aside from one blister, I had no problems with my feet.

Instead of flip-flops or sandals, I bought a cheap pair of running shoes at Walmart. They were very light weight and they were perfect for when the day was over and I wanted to go out exploring. Although they were bright red and attracted a little bit of attention. At the Burgos cathedral, a Spanish gentleman pointed at them, said something, and laughed. His wife was nice enough to translate, "He says you must be a really holy pilgrim, because you wear the pope's shoes!"

Sleeping bag: I bought a cheap, lightweight bag but I never actually used it as a sleeping bag. I just unzipped it and used it like a blanket. I don't recall seeing any blankets available at the municipal albergues in Galacia, but I'm pretty sure every other albergue had them available.

Pack size: Bag selection and comfort are much more important than weight. I'd rather carry 50 lbs around all day in a well fitted pack than 20 lbs in an ill-fitted pack. I had a 48 liter pack and it was fine to wear, but I also wish I had just 5 or 10 extra liters to better organize my gear. Also, since it had to be packed just so, I had to take out everything and re-pack it if I needed something from the middle of the bag.

Rain gear: I had a supposed waterproof jacket and pants. The jacket was okay, but it didn't breathe at all and I was usually soaked by the end of the day. The pants were worthless. I don't know if a poncho would be a better option or not. The pack cover that came with my pack did work very well.

My favorite item? I'm not sure. My tablet was very handy for marking my route with it's GPS. And since wifi is very easy to find, I could get online when I needed. Favorite non-tech item? My Stanley cookset.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005188T90/?tag=casaivar02-20 It was perfect for those albergues that didn't have pots or dishes and cups.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
The only thing I can add to the discussion is to try and get a pack that is both top AND front opening. I use a Gregory Z40 and this has a full front opening zip. Any time I wanted to get something that was at the bottom of the pack or half way down I just zipped open the pack and saw all the different packing layers and got what I needed. My brother used an Osprey 35L and he had to unpack everything if he needed something down in the pack, it was also full to capacity so much so he had to carry his sandals on the outside along with his rain jacket.

Another very interesting packing thread. What to take is a very daunting subject for those with absolutely no experience of hiking, which was my situation before my camino Frances last year. This forum was of infinite help during my research, and I think I did a fair job of making good choices for my camino.

This year I was a little wiser and could make a few more considered decisions. And now there isn't much that I would change before my next camino. If it wasn't for the cost involved I would buy a different backpack, I have the osprey Altus 34L, and would probably go for a larger capacity for all the reasons stated above. It would certainly be very useful to have a separate access point to get to stuff packed lower down.

I certainly wouldn't go without a sleeping bag, probably even in summer, and I love the ultra lightweight (430 gm) down bag I purchased this year.

I received many questions about clothes and gear from people who followed my blog and so I made a very thorough assessment of everything I took here. This is from the point of view of a woman of sixty who has always rather liked 'home comforts' and has been amazed at how little is necessary to be comfortable away from home! I expect my assessment will be useful to those with no experience of preparing for such an adventure.

Boots:
Instead of flip-flops or sandals, I bought a cheap pair of running shoes at Walmart. They were very light weight and they were perfect for when the day was over and I wanted to go out exploring. Although they were bright red and attracted a little bit of attention. At the Burgos cathedral, a Spanish gentleman pointed at them, said something, and laughed. His wife was nice enough to translate, "He says you must be a really holy pilgrim, because you wear the pope's shoes!"
I think the purpose of bringing a pair of flip-flops/sandals with you is that they double as shoes to wear in the shower to keep your bare feet off the floor which can be a breeding ground of all kinds of foot-funky fungus and bacteria. Anyone that has experienced a bad case of "athlete's foot" knows what I'm talking about. The running shoes would not work well in that role. I highly recommend bringing at least a cheap pair of rubber sandals. Even if you pitch them in a bin in Santiago.
I know it sounds like too much, but I had three pairs of footwear. My Merrell hiking shoes. A pair of Tevas to put on after arriving at the albergue and my $2.00 rubber flip-flops for the showers. The cheap flip-flops never made it home. Served their role well, were weight minimal and could be clipped on the outside of the pack.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
dougfitz,

Your points are well made and well taken, and I don't disagree with anything you say. I just worry that prospective pilgrims with little backpacking experience get a bit confused and overwhelmed by all the precise, technical equipment advice and recommendations. As a seasoned walker and traveller, even I find it all a bit daunting, especially when there is much conflicting opinion about equipment. I find some of the highly technical jargon in these equipment discussions very arcane.

I do agree that equipment advice needs context to be of value. And I also agree that less weight is better for the Camino.

For what it's worth, I couldn't tell you, if my life depended on it, how many litres my pack is, how much it weighs, or it's exact dimensions. I've used it for years simply because it works for me in a variety of walking/travelling environments. For all I know my outdated pack may be the "wrong" one, according to much of the advice given here. But it worked just fine for my Camino.

My one piece of key equipment advice: do your due diligence well before you set out on your Camino, and do not let forum members make or suggest those decisions for you. Part of that indeed may involve reading all the great advice given in this forum. But the more important part is experimenting with different equipment back home to determine what works best for you.
I can understand your concern that highly technical advice can be phrased in ways that confound rather than clarify the matter. Its why I suggest that a simple, easy to use and reasonable rule of thumb is needed, which is look for a pack (in litres) that is half your body mass (in kg). If people what more precise advice, there is a wonderful formula in the Complete Plain Walker IV that factors in season, body weight, gear type and personal 'toughness'. Fortunately, there is an online version here. This gives an answer in cubic inches, but there are plenty of on-line conversion calculators that can translate that to litres.

As an example, if I use the online calculator set as follows:
  • body weight 220(lb), ie 100 kg
  • days - 2
  • personal - normal
  • season - summer
  • gear type - light
  • party size - solo
It calculates a pack size requirement of 3181 cu in, or a bit over 52 li. This is close enough to my rule of thumb to satisfy me.

The pack size:weight ratio would concern me a little. I would finish with a pack too large for me and Terry with one too small. I can carry 10% of my body weight in my pack (including water) and Terry carries more quite happily. If we swapped packs (by the size ratio) I would have a problem. So long as folk see it as a guide, not a rule then OK. Being aware of comfort level and being able to walk happily with it when training/preparing is still the best test IMO.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I agree with @Tia Valeria that being able to walk happily with pack during training is the best test - I go further, I think it is important to do a couple of 20 km walks in full kit. It doesn't seem to matter how much thought goes into gear, on a practical test there are always unexpected surprises (good and bad). It is far better to find out before you leave home that your pack or shoes or even (as has happened to me) your underwear are uncomfortable. Trial your wet weather gear on a walk in the rain, sleep in your sleeping bag. Besides, it's fun.

To me, packing and planning my packing is the closest I get to the real thing while still in real life. Even so, as so many have said: Nothing beats the practical in-the-field test! Before my Caminos I have always worn my kit and carried my pack for at least one full day walk - more now that I know better.

On my last walk in September I met a lovely young girl who had decided to do it on a total whim, rushed into an equipment store, bought mountain boots, a 50 litre pack and a waterproof jacket, and then went home and filled the pack with five pairs of shoes, several jeans and mostly cotton clothing. When I met her, she was on the verge of giving up - the pack weighed 20 kgs at the airport in Leon, about 13 kgs at Astorga, and after a tough sort-out in Pereje it was down to 9 kgs including a litre of water. Luckily the boots created few problems and the pack fit really well when the weight was reduced, but that could have gone really wrong. However her positive attitude to change made the packing process after the fact a bit of a life lesson, I think: Less is more, what do I need/want, how unnecessary stuff can weigh you down and make life miserable. Also at the end she was telling the new people starting in Sarria sagely that cotton wasn't great because it took so long to dry, showed them how to tape their feet, shared her Voltaren with all who had pain, and spread the word that you should go nowhere without nail scissors (she kept borrowing mine to cut tape, open packaging, trim laces and customise plasters), so I think she learnt something along the way ...

And yes, she is going back this spring with a lighter pack and the nail scissors I bought her as a present in Santiago!

The Pack:

Access points and general easy of packing is related to the pack not it's size. There are small packs with many pockets,zips etc. There are big sacks that are just a huge single pocket. The advantage of the bigger packs is all the other stuff. Straps hip belts etc. But 70 is a BIG pack. It's almost an expedition pack.

. I had a bit of a heated discussion in an albergue with a German woman who insisted on having all doors and windows closed because she claimed the night air was unhealthy and made you sick and stated it was a medical fact. I laughed and told her she was living in the dark ages.

Malaria. Mosquitoes. Windows without screens left open won't stop them.

Then maybe we could agree on mesh covered, open windows? Oxygen for those of us who like that sort of thing, without letting big insects into the room?

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Pretty good advice.
I would still definitely bring a waterproof pack-cover. A good one, that fits and secures well. Treat it with a waterproofing spray (I used Scotchgard) before you start your Camino. Also carry a waterproof bag to put your stuff into inside the pack. Doubles the protection. I used both in combination and my stuff stayed dry despite a couple of really rainy days on the Camino.
Hi Mark. When you speak of a waterproof bag to go inside the pack, are you speaking of something like a garbage bag? Or you speaking to a purpose-designed bag liner? By the way, I plan to use a waterproof pack cover.

Malaria. Mosquitoes. Windows without screens left open won't stop them.
Malaria in Spain? Never heard of it being a problem there. Also I never saw a single mosquito in two summer month Caminos. Gnats and flies occasionally, but no skeeters.

Hi Mark. When you speak of a waterproof bag to go inside the pack, are you speaking of something like a garbage bag? Or you speaking to a purpose-designed bag liner? By the way, I plan to use a waterproof pack cover.
I used a heavy duty, thick garbage bag, but a purpose designed bag liner would work too. I liked the garbage bag because it rolled up small and light. I carried two of them in case one got torn, but ended up never needing the second one. Those heavy duty ones are pretty sturdy.

@NicoZ maleria used to be rife in Spain - it was a major health problem but was completely eradicated by public works, draining the marshes, proper sewerage systems, water reticulation in pipes etc. For malaria to return would need a return of those conditions and that is unlikely. It is not just the species of mosquito that causes maleria.

If you are paranoid about being bitten then I suggest a personal insect repellant- don't subject others to stifling conditions with closed windows.

Insect screens don't seem common in Europe. We take them for granted - could not survive in Oz without them. Flies as well as mosquitoes. And Bogong moths. And Christmas beetles.

There are purpose designed bags but they are expensive. If you plan on floating your bag across a river crossing there is no substitute. However for keeping your stuff dry in the rain a heavy duty garbage bag will be fine.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I have an Osprey 32, and loved the pack. If I had a larger pack, I might carry more things that I don't really need. As it is, I carry more than necessary. I cannot limit myself to only two pairs of socks, but have two pairs of light, med, and heavy socks, switching as needed. Since my husband and I also camp, we share carrying tents, tarps, and cooking utensils. I am a chilly-willy and carry additional clothing. My pack weighs about 20 lbs (without water). Once I get my hiking legs, the weight does not seem to bother me. Until that happens (about a week to 10 days), I walk slower and don't push the distance.

I use rain pants and jacket. The poncho does not work for me. I also have a pack cover and store everything in the pack in protective bags. At first, I paid extra for special hiking waterproof bags, but I found the heavy zippered freezer bags to work as well. If they get destroyed, they are easily replaced.

The 2011 Camino was my first long walk, and I stressed a lot about the preparations. I didn't do the same for my subsequent walks. I guess by then I had sorted out what I liked and didn't and had more confidence.

Just like you, Simonvw, I learned what worked or didn't for me. Thank you for your feedback and reminding us that there are no absolutes.

Trash compactor bags would be more durable than regular trash bags.
http://www.homedepot.com/p/HDX-18-gal-Compactor-Trash-Bag-30-Count-HDX-959933/203473002

I used two small and one large dry bags for my stuff, it kept my stuff organized and I used one for my personal hygiene bag to take to the shower with me and keep my wallet and phone inside.
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odk...ugpak+dri-saks&_nkw=snugpak+dri-saks&_sacat=0

There are purpose designed bags but they are expensive. If you plan on floating your bag across a river crossing there is no substitute. However for keeping your stuff dry in the rain a heavy duty garbage bag will be fine.
Also, if necessary a garbage bag could be used as a field expedient waterproof pack cover. Cut two slits in it just enough for the pack shoulder straps to fit through (open side of garbage bag down, of course), unhitch the straps, run them through the slits, and re-hitch them. Your pack is completely covered (except for the slits, but they are against your back) in a waterproof bag. Not very cool or fashionable looking, but your stuff is dry.

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings Fellow Pilgrims! I have more than a month to go until I leave on my first Camino, but couldn't resist getting my pack together already this weekend. My full backpack (Deuter 30 L) is...
Hello beautiful community; I’m starting my camino in exactly 7 days (May 8 - June 21 = 45 days) I’ll be doing FRANCES + SALVADOR + PRIMITIVO . Here’s my final packing list (excluding basic...
Hello, I'll be starting the Camino soon and my best option is to buy shoes in either Pamplona or SJPP. I will be leaving Pamplona on a Sunday at noon and arriving at SJPP around 2pm. My question...
I am new on the forum, though I have followed it for years in anticipation of walking. Twice planned, twice cancelled. Once again, I have bought tickets and my daughter and I hope to walk del...
Hi, I start my Camino from Oviedo on Sunday the 23rd of June. I was hoping to buy some hiking poles from the Decathlon store, but it doesn’t seem to open on a Sunday, nor do the other hiking...
Has anyone used the phone service "Holafly" during their Camino? Apparently it is a phone plan which eliminates the high cost of roaming charges and international phone plans offered from many...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.