• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Feedback on packing list please

AR1965

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances, Summer 2024
Hi all,

I'm planning my Camino for next summer, and since I'm a compusive planner, I've been doing a lot of reading on gear and have everything pretty much bought and weighed. Here's what I have. It's 18.52 pounds with out counting food/water and what I'm wearing (shorts, t shirt, underwear, socks, sock liners and boots). I weight about 175 currently, so this comes to 10.58% of my body weight. I will likely weigh around 160 by the time I leave, which would make this 11.57% of my body weight. Thoughts? What can I potentially leave out or swap out for something lighter? Am I missing anything?

GEARWEIGHT IN OUNCESBRAND
Backpack48.64Osprey Sirrus 34
1 pair hiking poles15.40Black Diamond Alpine Z Collapsible, fixed length 110 cm
Guidebooks/maps14.20Brierley Dintaman/Landis
2 short sleeved wool shirts10.40Wooly
1 long sleeved wool shirt7.20Wooly
2 wool shorts8.80Smartwool
1 wool pants/leggings5.30Smartwool
2 wool bras7.00Branwyn
2 wool underwear2.00Wooly
3 wool socks7.20Darn Tough
3 silk sock liners3.00REI
1 pouch for clean socks0.70Osprey Ultralight Medium Zipper Sack
1 dirty clothes bag1.10Osprey Ultralight Packing Cube Large
1 lightweight rain jacket9.00Marmot Precip Eco Jacket
1 wide brimmed hat3.50Outdoors Tribe
1 Gaiter1.30Buff
1 sleeping bag liner13.40Sea to Summit
1 inflatable pillow2.50Sea to Summit
1 pair lightweight sandals9.40Xero Z Trail-EV
1 pouch for dirty sandals1.30REI 7 liter ditty sack
1 pair sunglasses0.60Abaco Piper
1 Water bottle7.10Nalgene
1 Quick dry towel and washcloth5.40Packtowel Ultralight
Spork0.40
Backpack flashing LED lights1.30Whole Human Supernova
1 Dry Bag1.60Osprey Ultralight Dry Sack 12
Blister kit in Ospresy pouch (Compeeds, moleskin, needle and thread, balm, vaseline)9.60Various REI 2 liter ditty sack
Safety pins0.20
First aid in Osprey pouch (Voltarin, ibuprofen, antiseptic cream, band aids, ear plugs, massage balls)21.50Various REI 3 liter ditty sack
Toiletries in Flatpak pouch (hair ties, comb, toothbrush, toothpaste, soap, deodorant, lip balm, moisturizer, saline)22.90Various Flatpak Matador case
Phone8.80
Air pods2.00
EU charger7.40
2 USB C to lightning cables, 1 Apple Watch charging cable, extra batteries for LED lights4.50
Solar charger/backup battery with USB C to USB C cable17.50Riapow
Padded organizer for electronics2.60Osprey Ultralight Padded Organizer
Sling Bag to keep frequently used items handy. 8.20Osprey Sling
Hidden Wallet (with drivers' license, passport, immunization, cash, debit card)3.40Osprey Stealth Wallet

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
All looks pretty good so far. Not sure you will need the solar charger. Also depending on weather, you could scale back to one long sleeve or 1 short sleeve shirt and 1 pr of shorts. Your first aid bag looks a little heavy. I always take at least 1 pen and a little pad of paper. Maybe only a couple of sheets.

I am big on the wear one, carry one, when it comes to outfits. You have 3 and 3.
For organizing in my pack, I use mesh bags. They are light, breathable and I can see what is inside.
Everywhere I have stayed on my last 5 Caminos has had pillows.
Have taken a spork multiple times, and never used it.
If you take a good poncho, you won't need any dry bags.
If you are using your poles, you don't need to count the weight.
What is a padded organizer for electronics?

You may find that sling bag to be uncomfortable with your pack. Have you thought about a waist/hip pack instead?

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I am big on the wear one, carry one, when it comes to outfits. You have 3 and 3.
For organizing in my pack, I use mesh bags. They are light, breathable and I can see what is inside.
Everywhere I have stayed on my last 5 Caminos has had pillows.
Have taken a spork multiple times, and never used it.
If you take a good poncho, you won't need any dry bags.
If you are using your poles, you don't need to count the weight.
What is a padded organizer for electronics?

You may find that sling bag to be uncomfortable with your pack. Have you thought about a waist/hip pack instead?
All good suggestions. I'd consider eliminating 1 short and 1 t shirt. The dry bag is to bring valuables into the shower area with me. The padded organizer is here: https://www.osprey.com/us/en/product/ultralight-padded-organizer-ULPADDEDORGS23.html It's for storing my solar charger, EU adaptor and charging cables. I do plan on using the poles, so I will subtract that weight. Can you recommend an ultra lightweight waist/hip pack?

All looks pretty good so far. Not sure you will need the solar charger. Also depending on weather, you could scale back to one long sleeve or 1 short sleeve shirt and 1 pr of shorts. Your first aid bag looks a little heavy. I always take at least 1 pen and a little pad of paper. Maybe only a couple of sheets.
I thought the first aid bag was heavy, too. I've got a bottle of 225 Motrin (just because I know what my old ankles and knees are going to say about this whole thing). But, maybe I take a smaller bottle and replenish along the way? The solar charger is one heavy luxury I'm going to keep. With my iPhone, AirPods and Apple Watch, I'll need reliable charging. I may cut down to 1 short sleeve shirt and 1 shorts in addition to what I'm wearing.

I find it interesting that when i look at your list i get the feeling you don't really carry more things that i do but you end up 10lbs above my weight. OK, some of my stuff (like backpack) is extremely light, but then others seem to be a lot heavier with me coming up with no good explanation. Why is your first aid 21.5oz? your toiletries 23oz? 10oz blister kit? This is neither a wilderness walk nor a ball at an embassy. I'd rather carry a third pair of underwear...
I'd also consider rather than taking the solar charger to take a powerbank which will be a lot lighter and more reliable at the same time. ( i never missed either, but i understand the wish to have some backup)
There are some things that i find debatable, like the spork and the pillow, but i guess they are not the main problem.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I often had my iphone cable and plug in my hip pack. Not sure why a padded bag with the extra weight is needed? With a solar charger, when will you charge it? Doesn't it have to be out in the sun when you walk?
A plain old plastic bag was ok for the shower. Tossed my money belt, phone, dry clothes and towel in there. Weight was negligible. Had another one for dirty clothes and the shoes.
Blister packs of Voltren weigh less and are available in every Farmacia. Good stuff.
If you are wearing silk liners under your socks, you shouldn't be getting blisters. Why the big blister 1st aid pack?
For toiletries, 1 bottle of liquid soap that is good for hair, body and laundry. Add some toothpaste and a tiny vial of olive oil, a brush and toothbrush.

I find it interesting that when i look at your list i get the feeling you don't really carry more things that i do but you end up 10lbs above my weight. OK, some of my stuff (like backpack) is extremely light, but then others seem to be a lot heavier with me coming up with no good explanation. Why is your first aid 21.5oz? your toiletries 23oz? 10oz blister kit? This is neither a wilderness walk nor a ball at an embassy. I'd rather carry a third pair of underwear...
I'd also consider rather than taking the solar charger to take a powerbank which will be a lot lighter and more reliable at the same time. ( i never missed either, but i understand the wish to have some backup)
There are some things that i find debatable, like the spork and the pillow, but i guess they are not the main problem.
First aid includes only bandaids, triple antibiotic cream, Voltarin for muscle aches, Mortin, ear plugs, and massage balls. Ball at an embassy? LOL. Toiletries kit is literally just a bar of multipurpose castille soap for hair, body, face and laundry, moisturizing lotion, saline solution, toothbrush/toothpaste, deoderant, lip balm, hair ties. No skin care, makeup or hair products. With your powerbank, did it ever run out during the day, or were you able to charge it up sufficiently at night in the albergue? How light is it? I might leave out the spork, but the pillow weight is negligible and essential since I have a bad shoulder/neck.

You definitely don't need that solar charger. I have this lightweight battery pack that weighs 4 ounces, which I rarely need to use since I am able to charge my devices at my albergue each day.

I don't count my poles in my backpack weight because I rarely carry them in my pack.

I use lightweight shower caps to cover my sandals when they are in my backpack.

I've never needed a dedicated bag for dirty clothes, but have occasionally used a lightweight plastic bag from the grocery store.

I don't carry a physical guidebook - I have a guidebook on the Kindle app on my phone, and use the Gronze website and Camino apps.

You only need a plug adapter for your charger which should weigh less than an ounce.

Removing/replacing those items should shave about three pounds off your weight.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
First aid includes only bandaids, triple antibiotic cream, Voltarin for muscle aches, Mortin, ear plugs, and massage balls. Ball at an embassy? LOL. Toiletries kit is literally just a bar of multipurpose castille soap for hair, body, face and laundry, moisturizing lotion, saline solution, toothbrush/toothpaste, deoderant, lip balm, hair ties. No skin care, makeup or hair products. With your powerbank, did it ever run out during the day, or were you able to charge it up sufficiently at night in the albergue? How light is it? I might leave out the spork, but the pillow weight is negligible and essential since I have a bad shoulder/neck.
regarding toiletries/first aid: my toiletries kit was around 11oz and my first aid around 2.5oz for 800km of camino... (stuff like tiger balm is in my toiletries, link is in my signature). so you may understand why i wonder what you carry in your kits. (yeah, i get that women might need a thing or two more, but not 40oz).

regarding powerbank: I might have been unclear, but i did not carry a powerbank. My phone was fine being charged at the albergue or the occasional cafe. At other occasions i carry a powerbank, namely the NB10000 Gen2 which is around 5oz and can charge a iphone around 3 times. A smaller one would very likely be plenty.

edit: apparently i did not convert my weights completely and my kits were not 8.5oz and 1oz but 11oz and 2.5oz. But my point stays the same ;-)

I often had my iphone cable and plug in my hip pack. Not sure why a padded bag with the extra weight is needed? With a solar charger, when will you charge it? Doesn't it have to be out in the sun when you walk?
A plain old plastic bag was ok for the shower. Tossed my money belt, phone, dry clothes and towel in there. Weight was negligible. Had another one for dirty clothes and the shoes.
Blister packs of Voltren weigh less and are available in every Farmacia. Good stuff.
If you are wearing silk liners under your socks, you shouldn't be getting blisters. Why the big blister 1st aid pack?
For toiletries, 1 bottle of liquid soap that is good for hair, body and laundry. Add some toothpaste and a tiny vial of olive oil, a brush and toothbrush.
I feel like my toiletries kit needs to include deodorant and SPF 30 lip balm in addition to the couple of things you mentioned. I've got a bar of soap for the multipurposes you mentioned. Not sure if that's heavier or lighter than liquid soap.

I'm worried about taking chances on blisters. From what I hear, it's the main challenge out there. I'd rather be prepared with some vaseline for prevention and compeeds and moleskin in case I get one.

The idea with the solar charger is that it can hang off the back of your pack while you're hiking. It can also be charged up with an AC adaptor, which my EU plus has. But, someone else mentioned a powerbank instead. So, now I'm not sure.

I thought the first aid bag was heavy, too. I've got a bottle of 225 Motrin (just because I know what my old ankles and knees are going to say about this whole thing). But, maybe I take a smaller bottle and replenish along the way? The solar charger is one heavy luxury I'm going to keep. With my iPhone, AirPods and Apple Watch, I'll need reliable charging. I may cut down to 1 short sleeve shirt and 1 shorts in addition to what I'm wearing.
OK, however with the charging, I just brought along an little adapter that had extra charging ports and charged at the albergue. Most do have places to charge. Some more than others, but it is not that difficult if you have an adapter with extra ports.

As far as the Motrin, I bring a few with me in a little pill carrier and then get the "punch" pack cards from the Spanish pharmacy. They are not expensive and easier than juggling pills in a container. You might also want to think about a little chico bag. Mine is quite old, made of old water bottle plastic, and wads up into a little round ball that looks like a globe. Super useful for carrying laundry to and fro, groceries, and acts as a "purse" around town when needed. Doesn't have to be a name brand of course. I think I bought mine at World Market or something about 10 or 15 years ago.

1696949674477.png1696949800045.png 1696949913544.png

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Definitely take your preferred deoderant! I always have trouble finding anything but the icky roll on kind in Spain. If I see a stick kind, I usually buy it even if I dont need it or it isn't my kind. My husband must have huge armpits because he uses his up fast and then always wants to borrow mine and then we are down to the icky, sticky roll on liquid kind...

There is a lot of stuff I could live without on a Summer Camino. I do not know what trail we are talking about here, but if is Camino Frances then you will find pharmacies pretty much every single day. Other pilgrims can easily share stuff too.

Same for extra charger batteries and stuff. There are cafes every few kilometers. You can charge there if needed.

Just for comparison. Here is the list of things I used for Camino Norte this Summer:
http://caminopilgrim.travel.blog/2023/04/12/gear-packing-list-camino/

Hope this gives you ideas. Even the third pair of sock liners is questionable. First two pairs are understandable. The second pair of shorts seems not neccesary.

I did carry a pillow with me in my second Camino in Portugal. Most pointless item I had. All the places provide pillows and usually at least paper sheets to cover the pillow. Worst case scenario you can throw one of your three shirts around the pillow.

Hi all,

I'm planning my Camino for next summer, and since I'm a compusive planner, I've been doing a lot of reading on gear and have everything pretty much bought and weighed. Here's what I have. It's 18.52 pounds with out counting food/water and what I'm wearing (shorts, t shirt, underwear, socks, sock liners and boots). I weight about 175 currently, so this comes to 10.58% of my body weight. I will likely weigh around 160 by the time I leave, which would make this 11.57% of my body weight. Thoughts? What can I potentially leave out or swap out for something lighter? Am I missing anything?

2 wool bras7.00Branwyn
1 Gaiter1.30Buff
Spork0.40
Blister kit in Ospresy pouch (Compeeds, moleskin, needle and thread, balm, vaseline)9.60Various REI 2 liter ditty sack
Safety pins0.20
First aid in Osprey pouch (Voltarin, ibuprofen, antiseptic cream, band aids, ear plugs, massage balls)21.50Various REI 3 liter ditty sack
Toiletries in Flatpak pouch (hair ties, comb, toothbrush, toothpaste, soap, deodorant, lip balm, moisturizer, saline)22.90Various Flatpak Matador case
Phone8.80
Air pods2.00
EU charger7.40
2 USB C to lightning cables, 1 Apple Watch charging cable, extra batteries for LED lights4.50
Sling Bag to keep frequently used items handy.8.20Osprey Sling
Hidden Wallet (with drivers' license, passport, immunization, cash, debit card)3.40Osprey Stealth Wallet
On my first camino I carried a solar charger, thinking I was going to need it, and ended up mailing it home on day three. I learned rather quickly that charging opportunities were readily available. I would suggest a power bank, although I did not use one of those on my future caminos. Buen Camino!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
All the little things DO add up, but conversely that means it’s easy to shed weight, too!

Leave the Nalgene bottle: buy a bottled water there and reuse it. Much, much lighter. Power bank instead of solar charger. Lose the dirty clothes bag - what’s dirty when you are washing daily?!? In fact replace all those extraneous bags with ziplocks - cheaper and lighter, plus waterproof. Your first aid kit seems excessively heavy, especially when combined with your blister kit. The CF passes hundreds of pharmacies and stores, you don’t need to pack for 40 days of problems. Ditch the books since you are bringing technology that can provide you the same info via apps at no extra weight.

Finally, forget what percentage of your body it is! All that really matters is if YOU can carry it. A morbidly obese 500lb person certainly can’t carry a 50lb pack 🙄. Get out, walk with it, then walk with it again and again and again, and be honest with yourself about how it feels.

Bringing a bottle from home that can be used for years is preferable to every pilgrim (500,000 this year?) buying bottles of water. Even if they are lighter. That is such a tiny bit of weight.

I will say that there was a a few days when I really, really needed some immodium and there were no Farmacias available. It was not fun.

All those ziplock bags are noisy. Even if they are lighter. Moving away from plastic is a good idea too. A good poncho will keep your things dry in your pack and you don't need to put everything in a plastic bag.

Thanks everyone for the great suggestions! I've begun a preliminary list of what to reduce/eliminate based upon your suggestions:

Replace solar charger with a lightweight battery pack
Bring smaller amounts of Motrin and Voltarin and bandaids and replenish as I go
Replace electronics bag with something super lightweight
Eliminate Spork
Replace sling bag with lightweight waist/hip pack
Eliminate massage balls
Saline solution not needed…bring prescription sunglasses instead of contacts
Eliminate deodorant
Keep sandals in plastic bag
Eliminate dirty clothes bag
Eliminate the pillow
Eliminate 1 pair of shorts, t shirt and bra
Eliminate 1 pair of socks and sock liners

I'm curious to see how light I can get this!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Bringing a bottle from home that can be used for years is preferable to every pilgrim (500,000 this year?) buying bottles of water. Even if they are lighter. That is such a tiny bit of weight.

I will say that there was a a few days when I really, really needed some immodium and there were no Farmacias available. It was not fun.

All those ziplock bags are noisy. Even if they are lighter. Moving away from plastic is a good idea too. A good poncho will keep your things dry in your pack and you don't need to put everything in a plastic bag.
My bags that I got from REI are drawstring, not zipper, super lightweight and they don't make much crinkly sound. I feel pretty good about them, and I need them for organizing small stuff like socks, first aid, etc.

@AR1965, not only do the poles not count neither does your hidden wallet. Anything that you're wearing or using clearly isn't part of what you're carrying. So that's 18,8oz off. Hat? Well, sometimes you might carry it.

I agree with the negative feedback on the solar charger but fully understand your desire to be able to recharge your electronics. A power bank is definitely the way to go - there's many, many reasonably priced ( light !) options out there. So 17,5 minus 5, let's say 12 more gone.

I'm personally a wear one, carry one person EXCEPT for underwear and socks. Then it's wear one carry two. That to me means you can drop a pair of shorts, a short sleeved shirt, one bra, one of each of the pairs of socks. Another 16,5oz.

First aid bag - hmm. Bit individual that, personally I've put some voltaren (which I imagine is similar to your motrin) into a small plastic container - around 50 g worth I guess. That and two strips of ibuprofen (20 tablets). Gets me through the first week very easily, after that I find my body tends to adjust with just the occasional hard day. I gave away as many of my ibuprofen as I used and still came home with some. Others did similar but had to top up at a local pharmacy. And they were never short of a willing recipient for the leftover cream/ tablets. A few plasters, a mini tube of antiseptic cream - I think it's 10 grams - and an elasticated bandage finish my first aid. (I've previously sprained my ankle in the middle of nowhere in Canada, hiking solo. I seldom leave home without one. Consider it my luxury item !).
Like I say this is very individual.

That blister kit is incredibly heavy !
You shouldn't need the Vaseline if you're double socking - I didn't but carried hiker's wool which I did use on hot spots. Superb, and very light.
On my first camino I used Vaseline for the first time ever, and for the first time ever got a blister. Funnily enough I gave it away.... . If you use it during your training then take it, but perhaps a smaller quantity - it's easily purchased along the way in small containers. If not leave it at home. Incidentally my blister kit included a little disinfectant (alcohol) leftover from the Corona time because you seriously need to disinfect the needle in thread before you use it. It's a tiny little bottle, appx 10 millilitres. Used just that once, there's still lots left. Stung like hell, but no infection.

Ear plugs ( 2 pairs) and an eye mask are essentials for me.

I carry a mini travel toothpaste (30g) and replace as needed. I, too prefer solid soap , +, it can't leak! Carried in a plastic ziplock, which I would also need if I carried liquid soap. Therefore, no bottle. Looks messy, but very practical.

Dry bags. Some Love'em, some don't. I carry one with my clothes in, a small one with my electronics, just as back up. Others suggest lining your backpack with a bin liner, equally good - what I always used to do back country- but hellishly noisy. Rain gets in between your back and your pack and can easily soak your gear if it's not protected. The rain cover only covers the rear of the Pack not the piece against your back. Many have reported on this issue.
Despite the fact that I have a poncho I also have the rain cover for my pack. Why? Call it insurance. When it rains in Spain, torrential can be an understatement. You're going in summer so hopefully your lightweight rain jacket will be sufficient.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
There's very good suggestions on the posts above.

I'm also on my planning stages for my first Camino and something I read on another board was to analyze the items on my packing list to make sure I'm not packing my fears. I thought that was something good to consider.

As far as the solar charger, I know people say it isn't needed, but I found one with 10 watt output that weights less than 4 ounces, still not sure if I'll get it, but being so light it doesn't feel like it will make too much difference either way.
Not having a backpack was almost a benefit, because now I know to look for one with weight in mind. The one I'm considering right now is the Sub-Nero from Zpacks ( https://zpacks.com/products/sub-nero-ultra-30l-backpack. )The price isn't crazy and at less than 10 ounces seems like a good deal.

Still checking things out and reading about everyone's experiences, while walking at home each day a bit more after work.

Hi all,

2 wool bras7.00Branwyn
1 Gaiter1.30Buff
Spork0.40
Safety pins0.20
Phone8.80
Air pods2.00
EU charger7.40
Looks OK to me although I will leave the bras out as my name is David. But pretty much what my list is...

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Not having a backpack was almost a benefit, because now I know to look for one with weight in mind. The one I'm considering right now is the Sub-Nero from Zpacks ( https://zpacks.com/products/sub-nero-ultra-30l-backpack. )The price isn't crazy and at less than 10 ounces seems like a good deal
That's a frameless backpack - make sure that it's comfortable to wear for 6 - 8 hours a day. Zpacks also makes excellent backpacks with a frame. I know that the capacity is much more than you need, but you can cinch it down to carry a smaller load.

Not having a backpack was almost a benefit, because now I know to look for one with weight in mind. The one I'm considering right now is the Sub-Nero from Zpacks ( https://zpacks.com/products/sub-nero-ultra-30l-backpack. )The price isn't crazy and at less than 10 ounces seems like a good deal.
If you can get below 4kg, the Sub-Nero is an option. But it is not very forgiving. Thats not saying it can't be done, i walked my first camino with a similarly unforgiving backpack (GG Murmur) and was fine. But afterwards i switched to a slightly larger, slightly more forgiving pack (setup). Imho a very good backpack to start the ultralight journey is the GG Kumo.

Well this is all remarkably civilised, so far...
First, AR1965, I think it's good to have some idea of the kind of places you intend to stay and the kinds of meals you think you'll eat. If you're going to stay in private albergues that give you breakfast in the morning fine - discard utensils etc.. But if planning to stay in municipals where, at around 6am or earlier you need yoghurt, magdalenas, fruit (that you bought the previous evening) plus coffee, then a spork and a piece of tupperware that can also serve as a mug is very useful.
I agree with Jodean that a good poncho is much better than a short rain jacket - you may get torrential rain day after day and with a good poncho you will feel much better tackling it - and much less depressed when you wake up at dawn and hear rain beating down outside... You will also get less sweaty in warm conditions and your pack will be fully protected. But opinions vary.
Pack - I wouldn't experiment with some high tech number. Just try some on, including the Osprey range (which about half of all pilgrims use) or the Quechua range (also v popular) in Decathlon if your budget is feeling the pinch.
Blisters- don't carry the vaseline in case you get blisters - apply it from the first morning!
The added bonus of a powerbank is that if you are out all evening exploring town/cathedrals/pilgrim meals etc you can take your phone with you. And leave the powerbank charging in the albergue. There's often a rush for power outlets when people get back in the evening. And as J Wilhaus says, get a unit with multiple usb points or even a through-plug and there will be no unseemly arguments (in public albergues) and everyone will be your friend..
Maybe have a rethink about your socks - 3 pairs of wool socks with 3 pairs of liner socks - I'm not questioning the amount, but wondering what that combo will feel like on a 30+C day. I sometimes wear the liner socks by themselves, so maybe try that out over the next few months - or swap out one of the wool pairs for something light and wickable.
I agree with Vacajoe that getting the right balance of what you need and what you are comfortable with is much more important than meeting some notional target weight. But IMO, FWIW, at this point you are close enough to be good-to-go. Lots of people start off much worse prepared than this!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
You definitely don't need that solar charger. I have this lightweight battery pack that weighs 4 ounces, which I rarely need to use since I am able to charge my devices at my albergue each day.

I don't count my poles in my backpack weight because I rarely carry them in my pack.

I use lightweight shower caps to cover my sandals when they are in my backpack.

I've never needed a dedicated bag for dirty clothes, but have occasionally used a lightweight plastic bag from the grocery store.

I don't carry a physical guidebook - I have a guidebook on the Kindle app on my phone, and use the Gronze website and Camino apps.

You only need a plug adapter for your charger which should weigh less than an ounce.

Removing/replacing those items should shave about three pounds off your weight.
I'm intrigued by that battery pack. What does it use to charge up? Can it plug into a plug with a USB C or USB A?

I agree with your changes so far, but here's a few thoughts. I'd never bring a paper guidebook, nor a solar charger.

- Add sunscreen (!)
- I bring 4 x underwear and pairs of socks, in total, as it means I don't have to worry about drying stuff properly everyday. Very useful when it rains.
- Maybe add a multivitamin + minerals. Completely optional, but I plan to bring some next time because the walking is pretty arduous and I think it might help my feet recover better.
- I have a small over-the-shoulder day pack, which lives in the top of my backpack, contains essentials, and easily comes out of the backpack so I can bring it everywhere with me and keep the essentials secure! If you have one, you could maybe hold a few things in it, and omit one of your organizing bags e.g. for sandals.

Happy planning!

I agree with your changes so far, but here's a few thoughts. I'd never bring a paper guidebook, nor a solar charger.

- Add sunscreen (!)
- I bring 4 x underwear and pairs of socks, in total, as it means I don't have to worry about drying stuff properly everyday. Very useful when it rains.
- Maybe add a multivitamin + minerals. Completely optional, but I plan to bring some next time because the walking is pretty arduous and I think it might help my feet recover better.
- I have a small over-the-shoulder day pack, which lives in the top of my backpack, contains essentials, and easily comes out of the backpack so I can bring it everywhere with me and keep the essentials secure! If you have one, you could maybe hold a few things in it, and omit one of your organizing bags e.g. for sandals.

Happy planning!
How crucial is sunscreen if I never burn? I'm one of those people who tans really easily.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I'm intrigued by that battery pack. What does it use to charge up? Can it plug into a plug with a USB C or USB A?
This particular one has a built-in USB C charging cable for output. They have a version for iPhone with a built in Lightning cable. It charges via USB C, so you would need a short USB C cable. I'm not sure if the iPhone version charges with a Lightning cable. There are a number of small lightweight power banks like this with 5000 mAh capacity that should give you one complete charge.
The power bank that @Anhalter mentioned has twice that capacity, so it's a good option for the weight

I think you may permit yourself one or two (lightweight) frivolous/luxury items. Mine were my favourite tea bags (not available in Spain) and a twist of spices to enliven a meal if kitchen facilities are available.

My other piece of advice would be to ensure there's space in your backpack to carry lunch/snacks if required. Definitely a more important consideration for the caminos that go through more remote areas. As a vegan, I carried a substantial amount of supplies with me -- and this added considerably to the overall weight. My lightweight, foldaway shopping bag was invaluable for trips to the grocery store/supermarket.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
How crucial is sunscreen if I never burn? I'm one of those people who tans really easily.
If you don't want sunscreen then expect to wear your wide brim hat and long sleeve shirt while hiking on a hot day.

Sunscreen is needed to avoid not just regular sunburns, but actual burn damage. Worst thing I have seen was second degree burns on the hands of a korean girl who was walking with poles. It was just a day after Pamplona, so she had just recently started her Camino.

My preferred method is to start hiking before sunrise in these extreme heatwave conditions.

If you don't want sunscreen then expect to wear your wide brim hat and long sleeve shirt while hiking on a hot day.

Sunscreen is needed to avoid not just regular sunburns, but actual burn damage. Worst thing I have seen was second degree burns on the hands of a korean girl who was walking with poles. It was just a day after Pamplona, so she had just recently started her Camino.

My preferred method is to start hiking before sunrise in these extreme heatwave conditions
That’s the plan. I’m a natural night owl who gets up early for work. I plan on doing the same on the Camino so that I can be more or less to my destination by the time the heat reaches its peak.

The dry bag is to bring valuables into the shower area with me.
Two things that I would add. Hooks and shelves are very rare in the shower areas. Do yourself a favor and take a couple of cheap lightweight suction hooks so your stuff isn't on the wet floor. The second is take a miniature bottle of hot sauce with you to zip up those meals that need a zip - most notably tortillas, but it works great on all proteins you find on the pilgrim meals. Oh - take sunscreen. I just have 30 SPF in my old lady face cream that works great from the chest on up. ;-)
Happy planning!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Two things that I would add. Hooks and shelves are very rare in the shower areas. Do yourself a favor and take a couple of cheap lightweight suction hooks so your stuff isn't on the wet floor. The second is take a miniature bottle of hot sauce with you to zip up those meals that need a zip - most notably tortillas, but it works great on all proteins you find on the pilgrim meals. Oh - take sunscreen. I just have 30 SPF in my old lady face cream that works great from the chest on up. ;-)
Happy planning!
Hot sauce! Most definitely! It’s the only way I can choke down eggs.

There's very good suggestions on the posts above.

I'm also on my planning stages for my first Camino and something I read on another board was to analyze the items on my packing list to make sure I'm not packing my fears. I thought that was something good to consider.

As far as the solar charger, I know people say it isn't needed, but I found one with 10 watt output that weights less than 4 ounces, still not sure if I'll get it, but being so light it doesn't feel like it will make too much difference either way.

Still checking things out and reading about everyone's experiences, while walking at home each day a bit more after work.
There are more considerations to a backpack than weight. Comfort, how it rides on your back, does it make your back sweaty, etc. I have an Osprey that is very light and has a lot of support. My best suggestion is to go and get fitted for one if that is at all possible.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Thanks everyone for the great suggestions! I've begun a preliminary list of what to reduce/eliminate based upon your suggestions:

Replace solar charger with a lightweight battery pack
Bring smaller amounts of Motrin and Voltarin and bandaids and replenish as I go
Replace electronics bag with something super lightweight
Eliminate Spork
Replace sling bag with lightweight waist/hip pack
Eliminate massage balls
Saline solution not needed…bring prescription sunglasses instead of contacts
Eliminate deodorant
Keep sandals in plastic bag
Eliminate dirty clothes bag
Eliminate the pillow
Eliminate 1 pair of shorts, t shirt and bra
Eliminate 1 pair of socks and sock liners

I'm curious to see how light I can get this!
I don’t want to be the dissenter, but I just wanted to say on both my past Caminos with my two daughters we used our sporks nearly every day because we would get lunch from a grocery after arriving at the albergue, and the sporks were multi-use and weighed nearly nothing. It saved us money! We could scoop jam, Brie, fruit, eat salads, pasta, etc… Just a thought!

Hi all,

2 wool bras7.00Branwyn
1 Gaiter1.30Buff
Spork0.40
Safety pins0.20
Phone8.80
Air pods2.00
EU charger7.40
Sunscreen?

There are more considerations to a backpack than weight. Comfort, how it rides on your back, does it make your back sweaty, etc. I have an Osprey that is very light and has a lot of support. My best suggestion is to go and get fitted for one if that is at all possible.
Great advice, and yes I did that. I got fitted, assessed which features were a must-have, watched a lot of Youtube videos, and read a lot of reviews. Then, I ordered 2 from Osprey, took them to REI and had one of their fit experts load them up and then assessed the fit/comfort/suitability of both. I decided on the Osprey Sirrus 34.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Please allow me to make a simpler suggestion. Pack for two days. That’s how to do it. Leave your fears behind, and aim for 12 lbs, not 18.
Great idea. I reconfigured things last night, and took out items that I multiples of, ordered a much lighter external battery, eliminated some things altogether. I think I'm around 13 ish right now, but I'll know more when the Amazon fairy makes a visit later this week.

I don’t want to be the dissenter, but I just wanted to say on both my past Caminos with my two daughters we used our sporks nearly every day because we would get lunch from a grocery after arriving at the albergue, and the sporks were multi-use and weighed nearly nothing
I agree. Eliminating a spork isn't going to make much difference in weight!

I agree. Eliminating a spork isn't going to make much difference in weight!
We ended up eating a lot of supermarket dinners because of the time difference between Spain/Portugal eating times and when we would want to eat (5 or 6 pm vs 8 or 9). My husband used his spork for yogurt. I used mine for sardines and for scooping stuff onto bread. Granted, we could have used our fingers, but this made us pretend to be civilized, at least a little. The weight was negligible.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi all,

2 wool bras7.00Branwyn
1 Gaiter1.30Buff
Spork0.40
Safety pins0.20
Phone8.80
Air pods2.00
EU charger7.40
I just returned from 15 days hiking the Portugal Camino, Coastal Route, and here’s what I brought that I didn’t need (and paid $50.00 to ship ahead to pick up later in Santiago!)

Spork
Buen Camino diary
Beirleys Guidebook
Fanny /waist pack (it didn’t work well with my backpack so I found a small crossbody bag in Porto that was perfect!
These next four things I didn’t need because I never stayed in a municipal albergue-
Sleeping bag liner, microfiber towel, eye mask, ear plugs
Raincoat (this weighed almost 1 lb, and I used it once for 30 minutes during a mild rain. I shipped it ahead and bought a very lightweight poncho for 2.00 euros, and became #teamponcho)

In 21 days time, I only had an issue with my phone battery running low on charge, so I’d mix the solar charger.
I doubt you’ll need the flashing backpack lights.

Here are somethings I brought that I highly recommend-
-ziploc baggies. Multiple sizes for snacks from the morning breakfast buffet to enjoy later, anything you want to keep dry,
-laundry detergent sheets, (cut in smaller sizes to wash one pair or undies or socks in the dock), clips with S hooks for drying, clothes pins
-small, lightweight umbrella. Was good for the rain, but even better to keep the sun off me
-lightweight, nylon backpack that I wore on the front. Made it so much easier to grab the things I needed during the day than dig into my 20 lb pack.

Buen Camino!

Not sure what kind of ziplock bags you are using, but mine are silent…🤔. Plus don’t fool yourself into thinking that your fancy Nalgene bottle is somehow better. It’s also plastic, is non-recyclable, and is the equivalent of HUNDREDS of thinner bottles. One thin-walled, recyclable water bottle over the Nalgene? Yes, you bet, every time.

Hi all,

2 wool bras7.00Branwyn
1 Gaiter1.30Buff
Spork0.40
Safety pins0.20
Phone8.80
Air pods2.00
EU charger7.40
1. Only 2 total shorts or pants (you can use each for 2 days in a row)--zip on pants can provide both items. If desired, 1 pair of lightweight (for summer) wool leggings/base layer as a "luxury item).
2. Limit to 1 paper guide book.
Hi all,

2 wool bras7.00Branwyn
1 Gaiter1.30Buff
Spork0.40
Safety pins0.20
Phone8.80
Air pods2.00
EU charger7.40
Hi all,

Hi all,

2 wool bras7.00Branwyn
1 Gaiter1.30Buff
Spork0.40
Safety pins0.20
Phone8.80
Air pods2.00
EU charger7.40
2 wool bras7.00Branwyn
1 Gaiter1.30Buff
Spork0.40
Safety pins0.20
Phone8.80
Air pods2.00
EU charger7.40
You have a great list. But I have a few suggestions:,
1. Only 2 pairs of shorts OR pants needed. You can wear each pair for two days. If you get zipper pants, then you can use in his pants or shorts.
2. Take only 1 paper guide book.online you can use wise pilgrim or Gronze.
3. Take white stretch medical tape. You will need this to help keep the moleskin on.
4. If you are on the Camino Frances, no back up charger needed.
5. Only an adapter should be needed (no converter) on the CF.
6. Take a headlamp/torch as you likely will need it on the early mornings.
7. If you have an ultralight 16 liter dry sack, you can use it to hold clothes (so no pouch for clean socks needed) and you can use it for a pillow (no blow up pillow needed) and you can wash your clothes in it while showering (buy clothes detergent sheets).
8. Besides debit card, I would take a credit card also (in case your bank stops one--then you will have a 2nd card for back up--but be sure to know your PIN number).
9. You can substitute an empty water bottle for your Nalgene.

My advice is to travel as light as possible. I have walked the Camino Francise twice first time. I carried a backpack weighing about 8 1/2 kg. The next time I had my rucksack stolen at a Madrid railway station 10 minutes before I was due to board the train for Leon, fortunately I had a waste bag with my wallet phone passport and credential. This was not stolen. I had to decide whether to abort the trip or carry on. I got on the train as planned and simply went to a Decathalon store in León. I purchased a cheap backpack, a poncho, a pair of socks, a pair of underpants, a pair of shorts, a spare T-shirt and a cheap pair of sandals and a hat. I managed to get my medication at the local pharmacy. I also bought a toothbrush toothpaste a bar of soap for washing and washing my hair. I walked for two weeks with his kit and didn’t miss anything from my stolen rucksack.

The backpack weighed around 5 1/2 kg fully laden. I can assure you it was a much more pleasant, walking experience and carrying 8 1/2 kg

I say yes to the spork. Almost all my mid day meals were sourced at grocery stores and eaten someplace nice, along the trail... like a picnic.

Please! Do not be the thoughtless type who uses disposable cutlery.

Even better, I have a knife, fork, and spoon that I bought at REI. I think they are nylon... almost weightless, durable, civilized. The brand is GSI Outdoors.

IMG_4446.JPG

Also nice to have: Swiss Army knife with corkscrew, blade, bottle opener, toothpick, tiny scissors.

I think you are bringing way too much clothes. I would not bring the solar collector. Perhaps only a small aux battery.

But! The best thing I brought that is not on your list is a length of heavy string or light cord. I used it to hang my rain-soaked everything, at the end of the very first day out.

My suggestion is very easy. Your list adds up to just under 18 lb. Go ahead and carry that equivalent just 3 or 4 blocks and surmise how you feel after it is done. If that is comfortable, double the distance, then again until the track is 15 miles / 24 km. Anything less will not be equal to an average day’s walk on the Camino.

For me, I look to carry no more than 10 lb. Max.

Also, even though the pack is in a proper range, 4 1/2 lb is really a lot. If I were to use that pack. I could only pack 5 1/2 lb of belongings. I have discovered that Walmart even carries some decent packs for only about $40 that has all the attributes of the Osprey (Previously my Got to pack) and weighs less than half of the 48.84 oz. Food and water are both added to your pack and to mine so we are still equal re; consumables.

Fear not, most every new person on here has a similar pack and weight. Consider this final point.

800 km = 500 miles, yes?

18 lb X 500 miles = 9000 lb-miles.

10 lb X 500 miles = 5000 lb-miles.

The other option is to find a shopping cart upon arrival.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
My suggestion is very easy. Your list adds up to just under 18 lb. Go ahead and carry that equivalent just 3 or 4 blocks and surmise how you feel after it is done. If that is comfortable, double the distance, then again until the track is 15 miles / 24 km. Anything less will not be equal to an average day’s walk on the Camino.

For me, I look to carry no more than 10 lb. Max.

Also, even though the pack is in a proper range, 4 1/2 lb is really a lot. If I were to use that pack. I could only pack 5 1/2 lb of belongings. I have discovered that Walmart even carries some decent packs for only about $40 that has all the attributes of the Osprey (Previously my Got to pack) and weighs less than half of the 48.84 oz. Food and water are both added to your pack and to mine so we are still equal re; consumables.

Fear not, most every new person on here has a similar pack and weight. Consider this final point.

800 km = 500 miles, yes?

18 lb X 500 miles = 9000 lb-miles.

10 lb X 500 miles = 5000 lb-miles.

The other option is to find a shopping cart upon arrival.
The pack is 3.04 pounds.

Sorry, that was my head math. Osprey packs are usually 3 lb +/-. But the total is accurate. I do see thru the thread that the pack is down to 13 lb. Still, the more that is stripped out, the more the walking will be enjoyed.

And, I would still recommend that Walking test with the final pack or with equivalent weight.

Personally, because of weight, on the Camino, I have suffered overstretching my IT band and on a second try, blew out my quads on the same leg. Pack weight can really damage a person. It is 5 years since my last attempt and the quads still hurt on palpation.

You are on your way, but there are always refinements. The best approach that I have heard when preparing for my thru hikes, ultra long distance bike touring and 2 Caminos was from a YouTuber who introduced his video with, “This is what I take so that I don’t die.” Go from there.
On one trip I bicycled all around Colorado, then rode to Northern California and down the coast. All I took was a sleeping bag strapped under my seat, [no pad nor tent] and a small front bag with a down jacket, camera, toothbrush, a bandanna, granola, and a ground cloth. Oh, and Basic H all purpose cleaner. Other than that night spent in the Winnemucca jail, I camped out every night.
I was out for five weeks and had a blast!
I take clothing that I can literally wash and wear.
IMHO, all you really need on the Camino are earplugs! [Otherwise you might die!]

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi all,

2 wool bras7.00Branwyn
1 Gaiter1.30Buff
Spork0.40
Safety pins0.20
Phone8.80
Air pods2.00
EU charger7.40
Looks like a good start. After a few days on the Camino you can lighten your pack by donating or sending forward things you don't need. After a few more days more donating or sending. So don't over think it.

You are on your way, but there are always refinements. The best approach that I have heard when preparing for my thru hikes, ultra long distance bike touring and 2 Caminos was from a YouTuber who introduced his video with, “This is what I take so that I don’t die.” Go from there.
On one trip I bicycled all around Colorado, then rode to Northern California and down the coast. All I took was a sleeping bag strapped under my seat, [no pad nor tent] and a small front bag with a down jacket, camera, toothbrush, a bandanna, granola, and a ground cloth. Oh, and Basic H all purpose cleaner. Other than that night spent in the Winnemucca jail, I camped out every night.
I was out for five weeks and had a blast!
I take clothing that I can literally wash and wear.
IMHO, all you really need on the Camino are earplugs! [Otherwise you might die!]
If I don’t bring earplugs, other people might die. 🤣🤣

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I'll need to take more stuff because I won't survive in jail. I have a big mouth without a filter. On top of that, I like my martinis with 2 olives on a pre-chilled glass.
Hysterical! No martinis served in Nevada jails, unfortunately.

I actually saw a full sized cotton bath sheet (not a bath towel) hanging up to dry at the Roncesvalles albergue! That pilgrim was unclear on the concept!

Thanks everyone for all the great advice...Here is my pared down packing list. It's 13.58 pounds base weight, down from 18.52. Not sure if I could get it lighter still, but I'm liking the fact that I shaved 5 pounds off of it.
1 short sleeved wool shirts5.20Wooly
1 wool shorts4.40Smartwool
1 wool bras3.50Branwyn
2 wool socks4.80Darn Tough
2 silk sock liners2.00REI
1 Gaiter1.30Buff
Ziploc bag for dirty sandals0.80
Spork0.40
Blister kit in lightweight pouch (Compeeds, moleskin, needle and thread, small scissors, nail clippers, balm)7.90Various REI 2 liter ditty sack
Safety pins0.20
First aid in lightweight pouch (Biofreeze packets, ibuprofen, alochol wipes, antibiotic ointment packets, band aids, ear plugs)7.00Various REI 3 liter ditty sack
Toiletries in Flatpak pouch (hair ties, comb, toothbrush, toothpaste, soap, lip balm, moisturizer)13.20Various Flatpak Matador case
Phone8.80
Air pods2.00
EU charger7.40
Backup battery with USB C cable5.90Auskang 5000ah Portable charger
Lightweight pouch to organize charger, battery and cables1.10Osprey Ultralight Packing Cube Large
Waistpack to keep frequently used items handy. 2.93Osprey Ultralight Stuff Waistpack
Pilgrim credential1.10

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Looking much better weight wise. I would also remind you that you will be wearing one set of clothes so pick out which set and then weigh your pack after you take that out. You'll be carrying the same amount, but it will be distributed on your body.

Looking much better weight wise. I would also remind you that you will be wearing one set of clothes so pick out which set and then weigh your pack after you take that out. You'll be carrying the same amount, but it will be distributed on your body.
I already did that. This list (upon several other people's advice) does not include what I'm wearing, nor my poles.

That EU charger is really heavy.

I have one like this from Amazon that weighs 1.7 ounces.

Screenshot_20231013_081311_Firefox.jpg

Or you could tape a plug adapter to your regular charger.

Screenshot_20231013_081533_Firefox.jpg

I know. It's a rapid charger, though, and has 2 USB C ports and 1 USB A port. I could go with a lighter one, but I'm not sure I want to.
My small one charges fast enough, and I never need more than the two ports at one time.

€60,-
Hi all,

2 wool bras7.00Branwyn
1 Gaiter1.30Buff
Spork0.40
Safety pins0.20
Phone8.80
Air pods2.00
EU charger7.40
I'd ditch the solar charger and instead bring a battery pack you can charge up at night to top off your phone during the day.

Most electronics do not need a voltage adaptor (assuming that's the EU charger), so I'd ditch that unless you have a specific need for it.

However, you do need at least one EU plug adaptor a second might be helpful too. I lost one of mine and was fortunate enough to have a backup.

I found having a short (3 foot) electrical extension cord with 3 outlets very helpful. I would plug the EU plug adaptor into the wall, then run the short (lightweight) extension cord from that. Into which, I would plug my USB devices. I brought 2 USB converters so that I could charge 2 devices at one time.

Not sure what the weight difference between all the various sacks you have listed and plain Ziplock plastic bags, but you might consider that course instead. I like being able to see what's in the bags for quicker access. Worked very well for me.

I did not bring a paperback guidebook. Instead, I relied on phone apps and it worked extremely well for me. I mainly used Camino Ninja but my understanding is that it is no longer available due to the tragic death of the developer. There are others but I have yet to explore them. I REALLY liked the map function because it would tell you whether (or not) you were on the Camino and/or which direction to find it. Saved me once when I took a wrong turn.

I also brought an inflatable pillow but never used it. All the albergies and hotels I stayed at supplied pillows and sheets. Many were disposable sheets.

I did not bring sandals but wish I would have and ended up buying some cheep Crocks along the way. Climbing down from an upper bunk without shoes can be very painful!

I brought two long sleeved shirts and one short sleeved. But that's a matter of preference. I like wearing lightweight long sleeved shirts so that i did not have to slather up my arms with sunscreen. I wore the short sleeved shirt over the long sleeved shirts when I needed added warmth. On hot days in the evenings I would wear the short sleeved shirt. Worked well for me.

The wide brimmed hat is an excellent idea. I ended up ditching my baseball type running hat and buying a wide brimmed at along the way. More recently at home, I purchased a wide brimmed hat with a rear neck guard. I REALLY like the extra sun protection on my neck. I will use this on future Caminos.

You mentioned Voltaren (assume you mean the gel). It is readily available in all pharmacies in the EU, so you can purchase more along the way. I used it a lot on my feet after the daily hikes. Also available in the EU (but not the USA) is Ibuprofen Gel. I find it works better than Voltaren Gel but regular use can cause skin flaking. I like to alternate the two.

Hope this feedback helps! Buen Camino!!

What are you wearing to sleep in? (assuming you are considering alberges)

Also just a general statement that you seem well prepared with the equipment. Spend some time practicing to build confidence. Then... Don't worry too much about it. I have seen pilgrims with light packs suffering and others with huge huge packs smiling.

It's all a trade off. If you feel that the massage balls will help your feet at the end of the day, then they are worth the weight.
(I have carried a small light foot roller I think well worth it on my past 4 Caminos 😁)

What are you wearing to sleep in? (assuming you are considering alberges)

Also just a general statement that you seem well prepared with the equipment. Spend some time practicing to build confidence. Then... Don't worry too much about it. I have seen pilgrims with light packs suffering and others with huge huge packs smiling.

It's all a trade off. If you feel that the massage balls will help your feet at the end of the day, then they are worth the weight.
(I have carried a small light foot roller I think well worth it on my past 4 Caminos
I plan on sleeping in the next day’s clothing.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Thanks everyone for all the great advice...Here is my pared down packing list. It's 13.58 pounds base weight, down from 18.52. Not sure if I could get it lighter still, but I'm liking the fact that I shaved 5 pounds off of it.
1 short sleeved wool shirts5.20Wooly
1 wool shorts4.40Smartwool
1 wool bras3.50Branwyn
2 wool socks4.80Darn Tough
2 silk sock liners2.00REI
1 Gaiter1.30Buff
Ziploc bag for dirty sandals0.80
Spork0.40
Blister kit in lightweight pouch (Compeeds, moleskin, needle and thread, small scissors, nail clippers, balm)7.90Various REI 2 liter ditty sack
Safety pins0.20
First aid in lightweight pouch (Biofreeze packets, ibuprofen, alochol wipes, antibiotic ointment packets, band aids, ear plugs)7.00Various REI 3 liter ditty sack
Toiletries in Flatpak pouch (hair ties, comb, toothbrush, toothpaste, soap, lip balm, moisturizer)13.20Various Flatpak Matador case
Phone8.80
Air pods2.00
EU charger7.40
Backup battery with USB C cable5.90Auskang 5000ah Portable charger
Lightweight pouch to organize charger, battery and cables1.10Osprey Ultralight Packing Cube Large
Waistpack to keep frequently used items handy.2.93Osprey Ultralight Stuff Waistpack
Pilgrim credential1.10
Looking good!Some specifics/hacks:

Patagonia “All Trails” or Nike “Flex Stride” lined shorts. I only take one pair, and have used them daily for weeks on hikes - with a wash at night. If they’re damp in the morning, they will soon dry on the body. No additional underwear needed; liner prevents chafing.

Patagonia “Cool Daily” top. Long sleeve eliminates the need for sunscreen on your arms.
They are another literally “wash and wear“ item. I only need one. Factory treated for odor control.

Remember that wool takes forever to dry. I take one Smartwool shirt for warmth. Machine wash *and* dry. Minimal itch.

ULA Rain Kilt. If you are still taking the rain jacket, a kilt will keep your lower half dry.

Circe Care pee cloth(Amazon) for women. My wife considers it “indispensable”.

Clean out a tube of lip balm, melt your favorite stick deodorant (5+ seconds in a microwave) and pour it into the tube. Voilà! Deodorant for your entire trip.

Wear your rain gear when you are washing everything else.

I consider an OXO Drain Stopper a must for travel. It’s amazing how many times that I have encountered sinks without stoppers.

I use silk top and bottoms for sleeping. Super light, and not too sheer for a mid-night trip to the loo. Also serve as an extra layer if it gets really cold. (Same with the kilt. Amazing how much difference a thin piece of nylon makes)

The Outdoor Research “Sun Runner” cap has removable sides and back. I wouldn’t leave home without it.

An Olight i3t AAA flashlight can clip onto a cap for early morning starts.

Even better is the Photon PH545-BRK Freedom Micro light in white. Size of a quarter. Call the company and they will send you (free) a hat clip! The light can come on to full power with a pinch, or ramp up from low (or back down from high) with a press and hold. This is handy when you don’t want to wake others. It is the only light I needed on a 5 week trip on the Arizona Trail. I changed the CR-2016 batteries once.

A splurge; a treat! Mine is a ziplock bag of “Buen Camino” cloth patches to hand out (yes, I’m *that* guy!) I hand them out along The Way. It’s enough to bring a grumpy perigrino to tears.
(My wife and I custom design patches for our travels, have them produced by an online facility like “The Patch Factory,” and delight in giving them away.)

Cheerful attitude. Weighs nothing, and will elevate your experience beyond measure!

Patagonia “All Trails” or Nike “Flex Stride” lined shorts. I only take one pair, and have used them daily for weeks on hikes - with a wash at night. If they’re damp in the morning, they will soon dry on the body. No additional underwear needed; liner prevents chafing.

Patagonia “Cool Daily” top. Long sleeve eliminates the need for sunscreen on your arms.
They are another literally “wash and wear“ item. I only need one. Factory treated for odor control.

Remember that wool takes forever to dry. I take one Smartwool shirt for warmth. Machine wash *and* dry. Minimal itch.

ULA Rain Kilt. If you are still taking the rain jacket, a kilt will keep your lower half dry.

Circe Care pee cloth(Amazon) for women. My wife considers it “indispensable”.

Clean out a tube of lip balm, melt your favorite stick deodorant (5+ seconds in a microwave) and pour it into the tube. Voilà! Deodorant for your entire trip.

Wear your rain gear when you are washing everything else.

I consider an OXO Drain Stopper a must for travel. It’s amazing how many times that I have encountered sinks without stoppers.

I use silk top and bottoms for sleeping. Super light, and not too sheer for a mid-night trip to the loo. Also serve as an extra layer if it gets really cold. (Same with the kilt. Amazing how much difference a thin piece of nylon makes)

The Outdoor Research “Sun Runner” cap has removable sides and back. I wouldn’t leave home without it.

An Olight i3t AAA flashlight can clip onto a cap for early morning starts.

Even better is the Photon PH545-BRK Freedom Micro light in white. Size of a quarter. Call the company and they will send you (free) a hat clip! The light can come on to full power with a pinch, or ramp up from low (or back down from high) with a press and hold. This is handy when you don’t want to wake others. It is the only light I needed on a 5 week trip on the Arizona Trail. I changed the CR-2016 batteries once.

A splurge; a treat! Mine is a ziplock bag of “Buen Camino” cloth patches to hand out (yes, I’m *that* guy!) I hand them out along The Way. It’s enough to bring a grumpy perigrino to tears.
(My wife and I custom design patches for our travels, have them produced by an online facility like “The Patch Factory,” and delight in giving them away.)

Cheerful attitude. Weighs nothing, and will elevate your experience beyond measure!
Oh, and I highly recommend a BUFF. Wearable many different ways. Sun and wind blocking, lightweight warmth, and perfect for “bad hair” days.

Hi - just a couple of ideas I'm toying over before my first Camino - I'm taking a shampoo bar. It works nicely as a bath and laundry soap too. I will be chopping the soap in half. I'm also bringing a sample sized toothpaste. Can buy more of both in Spain if need be.

I sleep in a nightgown that only weighs 125gr. There is no way that I could sleep in my clothes. Sleeping in a different bed for weeks on end is a bit of a challenge anyway, so being at least a little bit more comfortable is important to me.
If you do want to sleep in your clothes, consider doing this at home for a few days in a row and see how you like it.

Hi - just a couple of ideas I'm toying over before my first Camino - I'm taking a shampoo bar. It works nicely as a bath and laundry soap too. I will be chopping the soap in half. I'm also bringing a sample sized toothpaste. Can buy more of both in Spain if need be.
It might be harder to find a shampoo bar than toothpaste.

Very crucial I'd say, and I'm sure that your dermatologist would agree! Remember that you will be outside 6 - 8 hours (or more) each day.
By the end of my Camino people kept asking me if I was Brazilian as I was the most tanned I had ever been even with sun block. You can pick up very small bottles of SPF 50 in the farmacias.
I just returned from 15 days hiking the Portugal Camino, Coastal Route, and here’s what I brought that I didn’t need
Fanny /waist pack (it didn’t work well with my backpack so I found a small crossbody bag in Porto that was perfect!
I use an Aarn pack when hiking with front pockets. When not hiking with my camera backpack, a cross body bag works really well.
Here are somethings I brought that I highly recommend-

-laundry detergent sheets, (cut in smaller sizes to wash one pair or undies or socks in the dock), clips with S hooks for drying, clothes pins
-small, lightweight umbrella. Was good for the rain, but even better to keep the sun off me
In summer an umbrella is your own portable tree. It can save your sanity. The 1-2 deg makes all the difference
You have a great list. But I have a few suggestions:,
1. Only 2 pairs of shorts OR pants needed. You can wear each pair for two days. If you get zipper pants, then you can use in his pants or shorts.
2. Take only 1 paper guide book.online you can use wise pilgrim or Gronze.
3. Take white stretch medical tape. You will need this to help keep the moleskin on.

6. Take a headlamp/torch as you likely will need it on the early mornings.
7. If you have an ultralight 16 liter dry sack, you can use it to hold clothes (so no pouch for clean socks needed) and you can use it for a pillow (no blow up pillow needed) and you can wash your clothes in it while showering (buy clothes detergent sheets).
8. Besides debit card, I would take a credit card also (in case your bank stops one--then you will have a 2nd card for back up--but be sure to know your PIN number).

Use an app as your guidebook. I effectively create my own on Trello and add useful bits of info seen on the forum, elevation maps, links to maps that might be needed. Currently working on a Camino Madrid one.
Screenshot_20231015_143605_Trello.jpg
Think about one of those Sea Summit SIL nano Day packs which weigh 30g and compress to nothing. Very useful once in town as it holds 18 litres.
For actual blisters I carry Fixomul. K-tape to cover hotspots, chafing areas. A pair of nail scissors.
Personally if I am going to have problems with gear, 16 km seems to be the point where it kicks in.
Also, even though the pack is in a proper range, 4 1/2 lb is really a lot. If Food and water are both added to your pack and to mine so we are still equal re; consumables.
I assume 3kg of food and water. In a heatwave you may need every drop of water on some routes. And that included drinking 1 litre water before leaving every day and taking advantage of every bar and fountain. Yes, you will probably need to find a bush about an hour in but safer to be well-hydrated.

Lightweight merino tshirts are great. I had 3 shirts and tended to alternate between 2 for walking and one to change into afterwards. Hiking packs can really damage a thin synthetic tshirt.
A pair of light running shorts to wear at night which can also be swimwear.
I rarely wore my very lightweight hiking trousers when hiking on my summer (VDLP) Camino but wore them afterwards. But it also depends what plant life you are walking through. Trousers for the prickly stuff. Walking gear was cargo shorts for the pockets.

Plug - definitely!

You would get on well with my partner who brings little Aussie themed badges to give away every time we go overseas.

Hi all,

2 wool bras7.00Branwyn
1 Gaiter1.30Buff
Spork0.40
Safety pins0.20
Phone8.80
Air pods2.00
EU charger7.40
Be careful not to overthink it. Fx: your first aid and toiletries - mine was toothbrush and toothpaste - that's all. No soap, cream etc. I cut off my hair so that's easy. Water bottle - why not just buy soda bottles and reuse them.

Hi all,

2 wool bras7.00Branwyn
1 Gaiter1.30Buff
Spork0.40
Safety pins0.20
Phone8.80
Air pods2.00
EU charger7.40
Hi I have just got back from my second camino and I don't think you should need guide books or maps - all the routes are very well signposted and there are plenty of websites and apps you can access from your phone with all the information you could need or want en-route. Hope this helps!

All good suggestions. I'd consider eliminating 1 short and 1 t shirt. The dry bag is to bring valuables into the shower area with me. The padded organizer is here: https://www.osprey.com/us/en/product/ultralight-padded-organizer-ULPADDEDORGS23.html It's for storing my solar charger, EU adaptor and charging cables. I do plan on using the poles, so I will subtract that weight. Can you recommend an ultra lightweight waist/hip pack?
I would never think to take my valuables into the shower with me. Perhaps I’m naive but in my experience no one steals your stuff. You will make so many friends that people will watch your gear anyway. Good luck!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I would never think to take my valuables into the shower with me. Perhaps I’m naive but in my experience no one steals your stuff. You will make so many friends that people will watch your gear anyway. Good luck!
I would never think not to have my valuables with me at all times, including when I'm in the shower!
It's true that the majority of the time your things will be safe, but there have been plenty of reports of phones, cash, etc. being taken - even by new "friends."

I would definitely have a final (re!)review and see it you can lose some more weight - your body will thank you at the end of the early days. You will genuinely surprise yourself at how little you can manage with! Some really useful comments above on the specifics but less toiletries and less first aid may serve you well - take the absolute minimum and buy additional stuff in Spain as/if you need it. Spanish supermarkets and stores will provide!

Last edited:
Take your valuables into the shower in a plastic carrier bag or a proper waterproof bag, you don't know who might nick your stuff, it happens all over!!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
If you only take one pair and no underwear, then I assume you stay only in private rooms. Because I'm not seeing anything for you to wear while they are being washed/dried.

If you only take one pair and no underwear, then I assume you stay only in private rooms. Because I'm not seeing anything for you to wear while they are being washed/dried.
I didn’t post my entire packing list; the shorts are just one of my key items. I take one pair of “long pants” and they are lightweight Powerstretch tights. While I’m washing/drying the shorts, I wear those. If I am washing everything I have, I wear my rain coat (or Camino poncho…I haven’t decided for next year’s trip on the Primitivo) and my rain kilt.
No, I do not stay in private rooms (except that one time in the Winnemucca jail!)

I didn’t post my entire packing list; the shorts are just one of my key items. I take one pair of “long pants” and they are lightweight Powerstretch tights. While I’m washing/drying the shorts, I wear those. If I am washing everything I have, I wear my rain coat (or Camino poncho…I haven’t decided for next year’s trip on the Primitivo) and my rain kilt.
No, I do not stay in private rooms (except that one time in the Winnemucca jail!)
Note that I am fastidious when it comes to keeping my body and clothing clean. I took a 2 week bike trip when I was 14, and I was careless about hygiene. Ouch! Diaper rash isn’t just for babies!
Even rafting the Tatshinshini River, where the water was glacial ice just hours before, the body and clothes got scrubbed daily.

€149,-
It was the one pair combined with the "used them daily" that confused me. :)

I understand the confusion. My encouragement for others is to think in terms of the bare minimum. I’m extreme, but I take only what I need - or what I consciously choose as a luxury. For example, the ONE shirt/jersey or cycling/hiking shorts I choose can be taken into a bathroom during the day, washed and wrung out, then put back on. In an albergue, I’ll change and wash the clothes I’ve been wearing and let them dry overnight. If it’s cold or raining…then it’s a different protocol of course. But I only need one day shirt and one pair day shorts (which also double as swim trunks too!)
I’ve traveled all over the world this way, and it works for me.

I’ve meet countless travelers who are laden with so much gear that it interferes with their journey. Pilgrims with 85L backpacks and extra items strapped to the exterior of the pack make me shake my head. Same with cyclists with rear *and* front panniers- and racks stacked with more “stuff”.

I hiked - solo - on the Arizona Trail for 5 1/2 weeks, encountering rain, snow, and sub freezing weather with just a 20 pound pack [plus food and water]. I met thru hikers with packs several pounds less than that!

I understand the confusion. My encouragement for others is to think in terms of the bare minimum. I’m extreme, but I take only what I need - or what I consciously choose as a luxury. For example, the ONE shirt/jersey or cycling/hiking shorts I choose can be taken into a bathroom during the day, washed and wrung out, then put back on. In an albergue, I’ll change and wash the clothes I’ve been wearing and let them dry overnight. If it’s cold or raining…then it’s a different protocol of course. But I only need one day shirt and one pair day shorts (which also double as swim trunks too!)
I’ve traveled all over the world this way, and it works for me.

I’ve meet countless travelers who are laden with so much gear that it interferes with their journey. Pilgrims with 85L backpacks and extra items strapped to the exterior of the pack make me shake my head. Same with cyclists with rear *and* front panniers- and racks stacked with more “stuff”.

I hiked - solo - on the Arizona Trail for 5 1/2 weeks, encountering rain, snow, and sub freezing weather with just a 20 pound pack [plus food and water]. I met thru hikers with packs several pounds less than that!
Totally with you. Something so ‘freeing’ about travelling light!!!

I would never think not to have my valuables with me at all times, including when I'm in the shower!
It's true that the majority of the time your things will be safe, but there have been plenty of reports of phones, cash, etc. being taken - even by new "friends."
Yes just as likely to get robbed on a ‘Camino hostel’ as any other hostel! Don’t let down your guard!!

Hi all,

2 wool bras7.00Branwyn
1 Gaiter1.30Buff
Spork0.40
Safety pins0.20
Phone8.80
Air pods2.00
EU charger7.40
Unless you are camping I don’t think you need a solar charger. If the spare batteries are a standard size you can buy them anywhere. Driving license?
On line guides are very light, check them out and see if it is enough for you.
Three shirts is a lot for a summer walk. Maybe one long sleeve and a tee.
But. It’s not excessive, just remember this is not a wilderness walk. Lots of shops along the way.

It might be harder to find a shampoo bar than toothpaste.
If you aren't talking about an establishment where they serve? shampoo... I figure it would be difficult to find.

Now the solid chunks of shampoo (and conditioners) are out there for all types of hair. Not sure it would be great for very long hair, but I was surprised how good some of them are.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Firstly, kudos to you for being so meticulous about your planning.
I'm impressed with the effort you've put into it. Your list seems comprehensive, yet I have a few suggestions that could help lighten your load.

1. Clothing is a significant weight contributor. Check if you really need all those pairs of wool clothing. Consider carrying synthetic alternatives that weigh less yet still keep you warm and comfy.

2. You could leave out the extra batteries for LED lights. Many modern gadgets could last quite a while without needing a swap out, just ensure to charge them fully before setting off.

3. Instead of carrying a full blister and first aid kit, consider cutting down to just the essentials, as you can find medical facilities during your journey.

4. I would swap the inflatable pillow with something less bulky. I use this Pod travel pillow, which not only gave me comfortable sleep but also took less space and weight in my backpack.

5. You could cut down on some of the electronics and cables. Do you really need two USB C to lightning cables? Could you possibly do with your phone as your main device and leave out the other electronics?

6. Instead of the solid Nalgene, maybe look at a collapsible water bottle? They really cut down on the weight and are super convenient.

Yes to the spork , guidebook and my own luxury item... a decent pillow case

First camino pack was roughly 15k got my last trip nearer 10. I could manage fine and there were a few items that never got used, but I was lucky with the weather.

keep whittling away and get some practice in using your pack on a hill if possible

Most people take sunscreen but I don’t. I have a hat with a wide brim, a handkerchief around my neck and a long sleeve tee shirt if it’s going to be sunny. Unless I am doing a long day I get to my destination about 2 p.m. which is before the sun gets really fierce.
But I am sure medical advice would be to wear a good quality sunblock with regular reapplication.
My wife used SPF50 on nose and ears and a sun umbrella on the Portuguese in September and found it good protection against the heat. I didn’t get to try the umbrella but was allowed to carry it and it was very lightweight.

Most read last week in this forum

I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
So I have heard common wisdom is to bring a silk liner for your Camino (+/- a sleeping bag depending on your preference and season). Specifically regarding silk liners, all of the ones I've...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
Hi! I am 15 days out from my Camino, and suddenly my Buen Camino app is crashing every time I try to look at my stages! I have rebooted my phone, done the "restore app" within the app, rebooted...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.