• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

A couple of Aragonés questions

lt56ny

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
2023 Vasco, Meseta, Portugues Coastal
I will be walking the Aragonés again this October. I read in Gronze tut the bridge out of Canfranc Estación is closed and you have to walk on the road to get to Canfranc. This post was dated August 2023. Does anyone have an update? The walk from Canfranc Estación on the Camino path is so pretty it would be a bummer if I couldn’t walk it.
When I was in Jaca 2 years ago the bus to the Monasterios weren’t running due to a local festival. The tourist office said it would be between 50-60 Euros for a taxi on a festival day and suggested I split the cost with other pilgrims.
Problem was I was the only pilgrim at the municipal and I did not see any as I walked around Jaca. This year I want to take the bus to the monasteries and then walk down to Santa Cilia. Question, is there anywhere to leave my backpack as I walk around the monasteries that is secure? Or do I just have to keep my pack with me? Thanks

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I'll be passing it (the bridge under the dam) in a week or so, I'll let you know what the current situation is.. but things might be different when you get to walk it in 6 months time.

I don't know if they have specific facilities, though others might know.. Normally, pilgrims visit the upper monastery, the 'new' one first, where there's a kind of reception desk. They might keep an eye on your pack if you ask them. Down at the old monastery there's a little cabin thing where they issue tour tickets, it doesn't look like they'd have room to mind stuff. But wherever you drop it, you'll have to back-track to retrieve it. Maybe easier to keep it with you..

I will be walking the Aragonés again this October. I read in Gronze tut the bridge out of Canfranc Estación is closed and you have to walk on the road to get to Canfranc. This post was dated August 2023. Does anyone have an update? The walk from Canfranc Estación on the Camino path is so pretty it would be a bummer if I couldn’t walk it.
When I was in Jaca 2 years ago the bus to the Monasterios weren’t running due to a local festival. The tourist office said it would be between 50-60 Euros for a taxi on a festival day and suggested I split the cost with other pilgrims.
Problem was I was the only pilgrim at the municipal and I did not see any as I walked around Jaca. This year I want to take the bus to the monasteries and then walk down to Santa Cilia. Question, is there anywhere to leave my backpack as I walk around the monasteries that is secure? Or do I just have to keep my pack with me? Thanks
Joe and I carried our packs.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
When I walked Aug 30, 2023, I checked with the tourist office as I left Canfranc Estación and was told that there was a board placed for crossing. Easy! Gronze still notes the bridge as closed so hopefully the board remains!

IMG_8731.jpg

At the San Juan de la Peña new monastery, there was a secure room to leave my pack as I visited. I retrieved it to go on to the old monastery and kept my pack with me as there wasn't a place to leave it.

When we visited in 2022, we were allowed to leave our packs at the desk, both at the new and the old monasteries. We were the only pilgrims that day. We took a cab up and walked down. You could walk to Santa Cilia and spend two nights. This is allowed and you can leave your pack while you walk up and back.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
A recent post on this site said the bridge was still out and one has to walk the road. With all of the snowmelt currently, there is no board crossing the high-flowing river. I would imagine it will be addressed once the water levels go down this summer.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
When I walked Aug 30, 2023, I checked with the tourist office as I left Canfranc Estación and was told that there was a board placed for crossing. Easy! Gronze still notes the bridge as closed so hopefully the board remains!

View attachment 167508

At the San Juan de la Peña new monastery, there was a secure room to leave my pack as I visited. I retrieved it to go on to the old monastery and kept my pack with me as there wasn't a place to leave it.
I will check with the tourist office like you did when I get to Canfranc Estación. Thanks

Last April, I was required to leave my backpack at the reception at the New Monastery. Watch out walking down to Santa Cecilia as it’s slippery rocks. Do not miss the old monastery and if you have a chance, go up to the Monastery of Leyre.

Last April, I was required to leave my backpack at the reception at the New Monastery. Watch out walking down to Santa Cecilia as it’s slippery rocks. Do not miss the old monastery and if you have a chance, go up to the Monastery of Leyre.
Thanks so much. That is great news about the new Monastery reception. I also read that there were busses that go back and forth between the two Monasteries during the day. Is that correct? I was actually thinking of walking on the road and not on the trail down to Santa Celia as I heard that it can be slippery and tricky. It will only be my second day of walking with another 900K or so in front of me so at 70 years old I would rather sacrifice a little scenery for a better path this early on. I know it is a road but I have heard it is not too busy (hopefully even less so when I walk in October) and I have lots of road walking experience.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
If you are walking down the road from the new monastery, you’ll pass by the old one - no need for a bus! (Plus I doubt that there is one in October, anyways, as that is definitely not tourist season)

If you are walking down the road from the new monastery, you’ll pass by the old one - no need for a bus! (Plus I doubt that there is one in October, anyways, as that is definitely not tourist season)
You are right. As long as I can get the bus up there there rest is easy peasy. Thanks

1712588163310.png

OK, here is the path down from the old monastery. You can me me creeping my way down with poles and just past where I am there can see that there is a cable attached to the side of the mountain so you can hang on to keep you from sliding down to your death. The other photos are of the actual path down. Very steep and rocky like this all the way down.
1712588317830.png 1712588356408.png

A selection of Camino Jewellery
View attachment 167551

OK, here is the path down from the old monastery. You can me me creeping my way down with poles and just past where I am there can see that there is a cable attached to the side of the mountain so you can hang on to keep you from sliding down to your death. The other photos are of the actual path down. Very steep and rocky like this all the way down.
View attachment 167552 View attachment 167553
You are the man. Us Baby boomers need to stick together. The road down to Santa Cilia has won the day!

You are the man. Us Baby boomers need to stick together. The road down to Santa Cilia has won the day!
The first part after the monastery makes you think "what is the big deal"? it is a pleasant path and then about a third of the way you get to the downhill part and by then it is probably too late to turn around...

I also read that there were busses that go back and forth between the two Monasteries during the day. Is that correct? I
Yes, when I went last August 30th, the bus that transported the staff in the morning from Jaca, stayed and shuttled visitors every 20 minutes between the two monasteries. Visitors who drove could only park at the new monastery. If it's open in October do check in with the tourist office in Jaca. They had all the information about the staff bus transport, times, pick up location etc. They said the tourist season ended mid September and the times and service would change.

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
The first part after the monastery makes you think "what is the big deal"? it is a pleasant path and then about a third of the way you get to the downhill part and by then it is probably too late to turn around...
Yes! So true. Lovely and bucolic in the beginning...

IMG_8986.jpg

...and then suddenly... (photo taken in the same spot as yours I think!)
IMG_9013.jpg
Ultimately I was happy I did it, the views were stunning but it was certainly joint challenging and dangerous in spots.

Sorry I can not answer your question. But when you are at the Canfranc Estation it may be interesting to know more about this Estation and its important meaning during the second war. It was one of the most important transfer for gold from Germany to Spain and it was also one of the escape routes especially of jewish people from Germany through Spain and Portugal to America. If you are interested in a short story you will find it here:
www.jakobsweghintergrund.com. For me it is a very moving story.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Sorry I can not answer your question. But when you are at the Canfranc Estation it may be interesting to know more about this Estation and its important meaning during the second war. It was one of the most important transfer for gold from Germany to Spain and it was also one of the escape routes especially of jewish people from Germany through Spain and Portugal to America. If you are interested in a short story you will find it here:
Thanks so much for this information and I will read this story.

Thank you so much for sharing the link to your wonderful website! I read the story of Canfranc Estation and will enjoy reading more of your stories! Years ago I saw a short documentary about the station and would have liked to have seen it in it's abandoned state before seeing it's restoration last year. It's a remarkable building and history.

Thank you so much for sharing the link to your wonderful website! I read the story of Canfranc Estation and will enjoy reading more of your stories! Years ago I saw a short documentary about the station and would have liked to have seen it in it's abandoned state before seeing it's restoration last year. It's a remarkable building and history.
Thank you for your nice answer. Yes, now it is no longer a "lost place", but it is worthwhile not to forget the history behind the Station.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Most read last week in this forum

I wrote this long-winded post to address some of the recent concerns, comments and questions regarding this route, and I hope some might find it useful. I flew from Dublin to Lourdes on the 18th...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back