• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

A few questions

seamusgallen

Time of past OR future Camino
future - April 2016
1. Some people have posted very detailed packing lists with weight of each item. My question is this: Does this list includes the clothes that you will wear on a typical day, in which case the pack weight is even less than the total posted.
2. Many people say "bring a hat". Why would I need a hat in April?
3. I want to do it like a pilgrim, but does that exclude the "private" albergues? Are they less authentic than the municipal or religious albergues?
4. Do I need to bring a sink/wash handbasin stopper?

Thanks very much. I hope these questions are not too stupid.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hola Seamus - they aren't stupid at all.

1 clothes - the usual approach is one set to wear, one set washed and drying and one set spare. I only ever have a pair of shorts and long trousers.
2 hat - who can predict the weather. I'm currently walking to Rome from Florence, today it is bitterly cold and raining yesterday I had on sunscreen. Apart from walking in the height of summer I carry a beanie for cold mornings and evenings and a bandana which doubles as a neckerchief and head covering.
3 being a pilgrim - is dependent on what is in your heart not where you sleep. Public albergues, private albergues, hostales and hoteles - they are all ok and many pilgrims use all them in the course of their journey.
4 sink stopper - I carried a universal stopper for three years before realising I'd used it once and out it went!

Buen Camino

John

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
My packing list excludes the clothes I am likely to be wearing. I use a spreadsheet with individual weights and it is a very useful tool. Even though I would now consider myself an 'experinced' pilgrim and know what weight range I am comfortable with carrying, I still weigh every item and make an attempt to pack light without agonising over it.

I always wear a visor with a sweat band which is excellent for keeping sun, hair and sweat out of my eyes and when it rains it keeps my raincoat hood from obscuring my view when turning my head.

Stay wherever you wish - I have always used albergues, private or municipal whenever possible. I think I would do this even if I could afford to use hotels. But it is an entirely personal decision. The only people who will make judgements are those with very little Camino experience. Old hands have learned not to judge.

A sink stopper is not important. I took a circle of rubber on my first Camino and never used it. I haven't bothered since and have not experienced a time when it was missed.
Buen camino!

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
There's no such thing as a stupid question
A hat is essential for me, but that is because I have no hair and really need it for sun protection.
The sinkstopper...... my favorite item. Brought one for my first camino, did not use it, so did not take it for my second camino,
but then every time I really needed to do hand washing I found myself in a place with sinks but without sinkstops.
Since then I always carry a sinkstopper, but only use it occasionally.

I would not worry about doing it like a pilgrim. There is no such thing, imo. I guess that considering the pros and cons of taking a sinkstopper can be qualified as 'doing it like a pilgrim'.

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I include the clothes I wear because in pack or not, they still constitute weight my body must carry so in the end I think it's important. What I think some forget is the water and food they are likely to carry. With each litre weighing a kg, that adds up pretty fast.

I carry a hat and sometimes two depending on where and when I'm going. With the head being a major loss of heat point, on the cold days going over the mountain passes you can lose unnecessary energy by having an unprotected head. In the rain, many prefer just the hoods on their jackets or ponchos but I prefer a rain hat so I can see and hear fully everything around me.

I agree with those above about lodging. I don't have definitive proof but imagine few Kings or Queens that journeyed to SDC to pay hommage to Santiago stayed in the stables :p

Good luck with all your decision and buen camino when the time comes!
Jordon

Yes - a hat will be needed in April! Some days to keep the warmth in and in others to keep the sun off.

I took a sink stopper on my first camino but it didn't stay with me for long and stayed behind to help the next pilgrim with their washing!! Now I use the sock idea!

buen camino

You will need a hat. Remember, you are walking west into the sun.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Good questions and these are my personal responses as follows:
1) For use at night I carried an extra pair of light rubber boat shoes and basically a jogging suit that I could also sleep in if I was cold...day clothes are completely separate and personal choice but are usually included in the total pack weight because technically you are carrying all of the clothes.
2) My experience was that a real hat blows away in the wind to often...I wore a light knit pull-on cap to keep my head warm in the mornings.
3) Some people will tell you that you need to stay in Albergues because of the Pilgrim commual experience...or you can make the personal choice to enjoy a private room with a long hot shower and an uninterrupted night sleep...or in some cases if you arrive at an Albergue ask for a "single room" with bathroom because many Albergues have private rooms at higher cost for married couples or Pilgrims that just like there sleep.
4) The only time I can think of needing a sink stopper was when I washed my clothes and I just used the clothes to stop the sink.

I have long hair. A cap keeps it out of my face. It also holds up the hood of my rain coat/poncho. It keeps my head warmer in cold weather and the sun out of my eyes.

I don't wear hats that much but I will on the Camino.I'm bald and a sunburn on the top of the head is not fun.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
What you wear, what you take with you will really depend on the time of year you're walking and personal preferences. I try to keep my pack weight light but I know I'm over 10%. I'm not a bean counter, I don't own a Prius, and I don't nut up about it. I don't count the clothes I'm wearing and that includes my fleece and wind/rain breaker. I do wear a hat and carry a watch cap. The one keeps the sun off in my head in the summer and the other helps me retain body heat when it's cold. At the end of the day, I'm tireder all over than any place else so as long as there is a hot shower and a bed, I'm good. Never took or used a stopper. Buen Camino

Happy Trails

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back