• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

A little advice needed please.Albergues and medication?

angie

Hi, I'm really struggling with finding accommodation for the first week i start walking from Pamplona to Santiago in May.
At first i was using google maps which give a stage by stage section so i thought great, i'll book my first weeks accommodation in these places and then after that let the path and the other pilgrims guide me.

Just recently found this site recommended on here, godesalco, and gulped hard when i saw id booked my first hotel in Puente la reina which is nearly 24km, i'll never do that on my first day, without killing myself anyway! Iv looked and looked for a halfway stop in-between but I'm struggling, and plus its not cheap but for the first week i don't mind coughing up for hotels and then thereafter albergues. Iv emailed an albergue in Zariquiequi to see if they have a bed but can anyone recommend anywhere else i can try.

I used to be an avid walker until 3 yrs ago when i struck down with a rare bone cancer so this leads to me my next question and the reason i don't want to push my body too hard to begin with. Im going to be a chemo-camino, meaning I have to carry my constant supply of meds with me. One of which needs to be kept cool, so iv looked at things like the insulin wallets which keeps meds cool and hopefully i'll be able to use fridges along the way, but can anyone recommend anything else they have tried to keep they're meds cool. If i fail then that means a hosp visit in every large city i'll wander into and be stuck on a drip for a top up which id rather avoid. Husband said he will courier meds over to me but iv no idea when and where i'll be each week when they're needed so...............

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for reading my long post.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
There is a possibility that Jacotrans has experience with cold chain logistics and could help you. I stayed in a small private albergue in Zariquiegui which was demi-pension and the next day to Puente la Reina was a cake walk.

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi, I'm really struggling with finding accommodation for the first week i start walking from Pamplona to Santiago in May.
At first i was using google maps which give a stage by stage section so i thought great, i'll book my first weeks accommodation in these places and then after that let the path and the other pilgrims guide me.

Just recently found this site recommended on here, godesalco, and gulped hard when i saw id booked my first hotel in Puente la reina which is nearly 24km, i'll never do that on my first day, without killing myself anyway! Iv looked and looked for a halfway stop in-between but I'm struggling, and plus its not cheap but for the first week i don't mind coughing up for hotels and then thereafter albergues. Iv emailed an albergue in Zariquiequi to see if they have a bed but can anyone recommend anywhere else i can try.

I used to be an avid walker until 3 yrs ago when i struck down with a rare bone cancer so this leads to me my next question and the reason i don't want to push my body too hard to begin with. Im going to be a chemo-camino, meaning I have to carry my constant supply of meds with me. One of which needs to be kept cool, so iv looked at things like the insulin wallets which keeps meds cool and hopefully i'll be able to use fridges along the way, but can anyone recommend anything else they have tried to keep they're meds cool. If i fail then that means a hosp visit in every large city i'll wander into and be stuck on a drip for a top up which id rather avoid. Husband said he will courier meds over to me but iv no idea when and where i'll be each week when they're needed so...............

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for reading my long post.

Dear Angie,

Don't go looking for hotels during your first week. If you stay in the same places as other pilgrims you will meet them and find community and support. That will not happen if you stay in hotels. And, as you have already found out, hotels are only in the larger towns which are spaced too far apart - for example none between Pamplona and Punta La Reina. The albergue system grew up out of the need for pilgrims to be accommodated in the small villages between the larger towns. You do not usually need to book accommodation. The municipal and parochial albergues do not accept bookings and are exclusively for "walk-up" pilgrims. The private albergues do sometimes take bookings but the vast majority of pilgrims do not book. If you are only walking 15km a day you will be looking for your accommodation well before the hoard arrive. The other type of accommodation that is available (and often very, very nice) are the casa rurals (bed and breakfasts) and they also will take bookings but are also often available on a walk-up basis.
Because of your unique medical needs I confirm your wisdom in sticking to a 15km a day regime, at least to start. There is nothing to stop you walking just 8km a day, provided you consider all types of accommodation. See how you go.
Somewhere on this site is a full list of current albergues, with information about whether they take bookings and relevant telephone numbers. I've used Mundicamino which lists casa rurals as well as albergues and other accommodation. Open the link on the right for the section between Pamplona and Punta La Reina and then the link on the left "lodging" for casa rurals, and "refuge" for albergues. You will see there are casa rurals and albergues at Zizur Menor, Urtega, Muruzabal, and Obanos - so plenty of places to stop before Punta. If it is badly out of date or there are better sources of information I'm sure other members on this site will chip in.

http://www.mundicamino.com/ingles/rutas.cfm?id=15

I can't help much with ideas about medication, sorry.

Here are a couple of earlier discussions from other pilgrims who needed to keep medications cold. I'm assuming you are carrying written information about your condition and medications as a backup?
Buen camino!

http://www.caminodesantiago.me/comm...n-cold-chain-on-the-camino.16639/#post-131224

http://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/diabetic-walk-how-to-keep-insulin-cool.24523/
Hiya, i read about this a while ago, the frio packs and thats what iv ordered from amazon, just wondering about the weight of them as i can imagine they will be quite heavy when the waters added to the crystals but, if its the best thing out there then it'll have to do, will just have to cut back on something else, thank u for your help.

There is a possibility that Jacotrans has experience with cold chain logistics and could help you. I stayed in a small private albergue in Zariquiegui which was demi-pension and the walk the next day to Puente la Reina was a cake walk.
Hi, thats the one iv emailed but haven't heard back from yet, thank u :)

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Here are a couple of earlier discussions from other pilgrims who needed to keep medications cold. I'm assuming you are carrying written information about your condition and medications as a backup?
Buen camino!

http://www.caminodesantiago.me/comm...n-cold-chain-on-the-camino.16639/#post-131224

http://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/diabetic-walk-how-to-keep-insulin-cool.24523/
Thanks for the links, and yes i carry all my docs with me, have to, and I'm also having some dog tags made written in Spanish just incase of any emergency, but i doubt there will be, I'm being positive :)

Thank you all for the very helpful replies. i know i will get there in the end. Im not letting this disease get in the way of my life anymore, but i am a bit of a coward so thats why i think its wise i book up places to sleep for the first week, get my body used to walking for long periods of time and build up gradually then i'll feel more confident and do longer stretches without having to panic i won't get a bed along the way.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Oh, Angie! I am so sorry to hear about your problems ... and constantly thank God for my own health.
You may well get the information you need here on the forum - I certainly hope so.
I can't help, as I have no experience to relate.
However, I pray that your camino will be as enjoyable as all of mine, that you soon fine solutions to your problems, and that He will walk with you, every step of the way.
Buen camino, Angie!

There is a possibility that Jacotrans has experience with cold chain logistics and could help you. I stayed in a small private albergue in Zariquiegui which was demi-pension and the walk the next day to Puente la Reina was a cake walk.

This may not apply, but last year, I recall seeing small "picnic" coolers being moved with luggage from hotel to hotel by at least one baggage moving service. If you placed a "six pack" cooler inside a piece of luggage then paid to have that luggage moved along your route, that could help. I am thinking an "international" carry-on sized rolling suitcase (20 " x 14" x 8").

The baggage services charge by the piece. So placing a cooler box inside a piece of luggage serves a multiple benefit. It provides additional insulation, saves on costs, and provides you an ability to move other items you might need along the way. it also gives you the option to shed excess stuff you decide you do not need.

Ice should be available along the way, and any place with a refrigerator / freezer should permit you to freeze gel packs overnight. I am thinking cafes, albergues with kitchens, etc. MAKE SURE YOU MARK YOUR COOLER WITH A SHARPIE MARKER in English and Spanish that it contains special medicines for you that MUST be kept cold. Also include your name and mobile phone number if you have one - just in case. You do not want someone walking off with your special meds if they are out of your sight.

With a little bit of pre-planning and thought, you can sort this out. The albergues, hostals and hotels along the way have all worked with the baggage moving services. They will work with you to coordinate each days' planned walking. You do not need to plan the entire thing in one go.

This said, Kanga's post above is one of the best in this thread. You CAN rely on your fellow pilgrims (peregrinos) to help. Also, the French (only) booklet/guide "Miam, Miam, Dodo" for the Camino Frances is known for listing ALL available accommodation within 5 km of the route. While it is only available in French it is easy to understand.

I hope this helps.

Oh, Angie! I am so sorry to hear about your problems ... and constantly thank God for my own health.
You may well get the information you need here on the forum - I certainly hope so.
I can't help, as I have no experience to relate.
However, I pray that your camino will be as enjoyable as all of mine, that you soon fine solutions to your problems, and that He will walk with you, every step of the way.
Buen camino, Angie!
Awk thank you Stephen that was really touching to read. Beun Camino to you and yours.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
This may not apply, but last year, I recall seeing small "picnic" coolers being moved with luggage from hotel to hotel by at least one baggage moving service. If you placed a "six pack" cooler inside a piece of luggage then paid to have that luggage moved along your route, that could help. I am thinking an "international" carry-on sized rolling suitcase (20 " x 14" x 8").

The baggage services charge by the piece. So placing a cooler box inside a piece of luggage serves a multiple benefit. It provides additional insulation, saves on costs, and provides you an ability to move other items you might need along the way. it also gives you the option to shed excess stuff you decide you do not need.

Ice should be available along the way, and any place with a refrigerator / freezer should permit you to freeze gel packs overnight. I am thinking cafes, albergues with kitchens, etc. MAKE SURE YOU MARK YOUR COOLER WITH A SHARPIE MARKER in English and Spanish that it contains special medicines for you that MUST be kept cold. Also include your name and mobile phone number if you have one - just in case. You do not want someone walking off with your special meds if they are out of your sight.

With a little bit of pre-planning and thought, you can sort this out. The albergues, hostals and hotels along the way have all worked with the baggage moving services. They will work with you to coordinate each days' planned walking. You do not need to plan the entire thing in one go.

This said, Kanga's post above is one of the best in this thread. You CAN rely on your fellow pilgrims (peregrinos) to help. Also, the French (only) booklet/guide "Miam, Miam, Dodo" for the Camino Frances is known for listing ALL available accommodation within 5 km of the route. While it is only available in French it is easy to understand.

I hope this helps.
Very helpful thank you. I know i will manage to work my way around it and im trying not to dwell on the meds, its just such an inconvience thats all. Beun Camino

Dear Angie,

Don't go looking for hotels during your first week. If you stay in the same places as other pilgrims you will meet them and find community and support. That will not happen if you stay in hotels. And, as you have already found out, hotels are only in the larger towns which are spaced too far apart - for example none between Pamplona and Punta La Reina. The albergue system grew up out of the need for pilgrims to be accommodated in the small villages between the larger towns. You do not usually need to book accommodation. The municipal and parochial albergues do not accept bookings and are exclusively for "walk-up" pilgrims. The private albergues do sometimes take bookings but the vast majority of pilgrims do not book. If you are only walking 15km a day you will be looking for your accommodation well before the hoard arrive. The other type of accommodation that is available (and often very, very nice) are the casa rurals (bed and breakfasts) and they also will take bookings but are also often available on a walk-up basis.
Because of your unique medical needs I confirm your wisdom in sticking to a 15km a day regime, at least to start. There is nothing to stop you walking just 8km a day, provided you consider all types of accommodation. See how you go.
Somewhere on this site is a full list of current albergues, with information about whether they take bookings and relevant telephone numbers. I've used Mundicamino which lists casa rurals as well as albergues and other accommodation. Open the link on the right for the section between Pamplona and Punta La Reina and then the link on the left "lodging" for casa rurals, and "refuge" for albergues. You will see there are casa rurals and albergues at Zizur Menor, Urtega, Muruzabal, and Obanos - so plenty of places to stop before Punta. If it is badly out of date or there are better sources of information I'm sure other members on this site will chip in.

http://www.mundicamino.com/ingles/rutas.cfm?id=15

I can't help much with ideas about medication, sorry.
Youve been more than helpful, thank you so much for taking the time to reply. Beun Camino

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Uterga is available between Pamplona and Puente la Reina. It might be a bit far if you doubt your fitness. Zariquiequi is a good choice for a moderate first day out of Pamplona. Keep trying them: http://www.laposadadeardogi.com/
I stayed at the albergue in Zariquiequi, walking fairly easily from Trinidad de Arre, the other side of Pamplona, with a badly inflamed leg. My notes say nice dinner and breakfast there. You could get your back pack (with cooler or whatever) transported up there from Pamplona so you don't have to carry it the first day, making it easier on yourself. They have a full kitchen, meals, etc there so no problem with refridgeration. The next day I walked to Puenta la Reina.

I have emailed Jacotrans and got the following response:

Translated: We have transported this type of thing on occasion. The client leaves it for us in a cooler and we deliver it to the next stop so that they can get it into the refrigerator. Nevertheless, at the time of making the reservations for the accommodations, the client should make sure that each one hotel/pension/etc has the ability to take care of the medicine.

Hope this helps. Laurie

I agree with others who say that you shouldn't go looking to stay
in hotels because you won't meet other pilgrims, and that can be most
helpful and rewarding.

On the other hand I wouldn't go looking to stay in municipals and
parochials, which can sometimes be overcrowded, with rickety bunk
beds and inadequate washroom facilities. More importantly they do not
allow advance booking which may be necessary if you decide to use
Jacotrans to move your luggage and/or your meds forward from day to
day.

The private albergues tend to have better facilities, and generally
allow advance booking, and the people who stay in them are every bit
as interesting and pilgrimish, and helpful to other pilgrims as those
who prefer a more spartan lifestyle.

There is no need to book beyond the first day or two before you leave
home. A lot of people simply book the next night's accomodation as soon
as they arrive at that day's destination. If you are staying at a private
albergue they will often call ahead for you and make the reservation.

That is particularly true of albergues that belong to an association
called Red de Albergues (www.redalberguessantiago.com), which seem to
be a cut above the rest in my opinion, possibly because they have to
conform to standards set by the association.

I stayed at them whenever I could, which wasn't very often because I
didn't have a cell phone and I was walking some pretty long distances
and never sure where I would end up that night.

However, when I did I was always impressed with the facilities,
and I met quite a few people who were consistently staying in private
albergues and generally favoring those belonging to that association
over the rest.

One other piece of advice. If it happens to be raining on the day you
set out from Pamplona, and you've elected to go beyond Alto del Perdon
take a taxi to Uterga from Pamplona or Cizur Menor. Do not attempt to
scale Alto del Perdon.

Its not particularly high and would be a piece of cake on a good day,
but I did it last year in a light misty rain, following a night of
torrential downpour and it was every bit as difficult as crossing the
Pyrenees. The clay trail had turned to a thick heavy mud that stuck to
your boots in huge gobs amd added a couple of pounds to each foot
making it difficult to walk and keep your balance as you attempted to
climb the slippery muddy slope. In addition, the trail was washed out
in several places and you had to bushwack around the obstruction
holding onto bushes and crawling up embankments and by the time you
reached the top you were totally exhausted and covered in mud.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

I hope this helps.
Thank you :)

I have emailed Jacotrans and got the following response:

Translated: We have transported this type of thing on occasion. The client leaves it for us in a cooler and we deliver it to the next stop so that they can get it into the refrigerator. Nevertheless, at the time of making the reservations for the accommodations, the client should make sure that each one hotel/pension/etc has the ability to take care of the medicine.

Hope this helps. Laurie
Thank you very much for that, my minds now a lot easier seeing all these replies and knowing i will be ok, grateful for your help.

I agree with others who say that you shouldn't go looking to stay
in hotels because you won't meet other pilgrims, and that can be most
helpful and rewarding.

On the other hand I wouldn't go looking to stay in municipals and
parochials, which can sometimes be overcrowded, with rickety bunk
beds and inadequate washroom facilities. More importantly they do not
allow advance booking which may be necessary if you decide to use
Jacotrans to move your luggage and/or your meds forward from day to
day.

The private albergues tend to have better facilities, and generally
allow advance booking, and the people who stay in them are every bit
as interesting and pilgrimish, and helpful to other pilgrims as those
who prefer a more spartan lifestyle.

There is no need to book beyond the first day or two before you leave
home. A lot of people simply book the next night's accomodation as soon
as they arrive at that day's destination. If you are staying at a private
albergue they will often call ahead for you and make the reservation.

That is particularly true of albergues that belong to an association
called Red de Albergues (www.redalberguessantiago.com), which seem to
be a cut above the rest in my opinion, possibly because they have to
conform to standards set by the association.

I stayed at them whenever I could, which wasn't very often because I
didn't have a cell phone and I was walking some pretty long distances
and never sure where I would end up that night.

However, when I did I was always impressed with the facilities,
and I met quite a few people who were consistently staying in private
albergues and generally favoring those belonging to that association
over the rest.

One other piece of advice. If it happens to be raining on the day you
set out from Pamplona, and you've elected to go beyond Alto del Perdon
take a taxi to Uterga from Pamplona or Cizur Menor. Do not attempt to
scale Alto del Perdon.

Its not particularly high and would be a piece of cake on a good day,
but I did it last year in a light misty rain, following a night of
torrential downpour and it was every bit as difficult as crossing the
Pyrenees. The clay trail had turned to a thick heavy mud that stuck to
your boots in huge gobs amd added a couple of pounds to each foot
making it difficult to walk and keep your balance as you attempted to
climb the slippery muddy slope. In addition, the trail was washed out
in several places and you had to bushwack around the obstruction
holding onto bushes and crawling up embankments and by the time you
reached the top you were totally exhausted and covered in mud.

Thank you for all that info, lets hope its not raining huh!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
I hope i meet people like you all along the way, the advice you have given has been wonderful and has put my mind at ease. Muchas Gracias

Buen Camino para todos !

I hope i meet people like you all along the way, the advice you have given has been wonderful and has put my mind at ease. Muchas Gracias

Angie (and others):

That is the reason this forum exists. NO ONE can know all the answers. We are simply a community of like-minded pilgrims who seek to help others enjoy their Camino experience. Everyone brings something different and dynamic to the discussion.

One thing you can rely on is that 99.9 percent of the people you meet along The Way will be genuine, honest, reliable adults. Just do not leave all your "street smarts" at home. Besides, these sixth senses "weigh virtually nothing" (famous words along the Camino). ;)

If you need help with anything at anytime, just ask. The folks walking with you become your extended family for the month or so you are out there. As a simple and general statement, we never leave anyone behind and everyone is given what assistance they need to succeed. You will also hear a lot of folks repeat "the Camino provides." It does, and in ways you cannot yet imagine.

Also, you are never truly far from proper medical care. It will all work out...:)

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Most read last week in this forum

Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Zubiri was full early yesterday (by 2:30, according to some pilgrims who came to Pamplona today), but Zubiri opened up a municipal building just past the town for some pilgrims to sleep on the...
My friend is trying to figure out bookings/lodging. She started in SJPDP Friday, ended up walking the Winter route to Roncesvalles in one day, only to find no bed so bused back to SJPDP to sleep...
Within the past few hours there have been two stories on local news media reporting that the Guardia Civil have been successful in returning lost passports to pilgrims. One in Najera, the other in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back