• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

A long road ~ just to get to the start!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Tomorrow Tuesday 1 October at lunchtime I start my journey from Canberra, Australia [Bus +plane +plane+train+bus]. I will finally start walking from SJPdP on Friday 5 October.

Does anybody else have a longer prelude to their Camino?
Ah, the joys of living in Australia. It might sometimes be inconvenient but I wouldn't swap it for anywhere else. It takes a long time but aren't we fortunate to live in such a beautiful country and be able to jump on buses, planes and trains to go on pilgrimage to other beautiful but very different countries? The Spanish are very welcoming to Aussies - they even planted eucalypts so we'd feel at home :)

P.S. Yes I know the trees are a pest in Spain and I try to dislike them in their new home but I'm a bushwalker and, despite my best intentions, my heart still lifts at the sight of them.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Tomorrow Tuesday 1 October at lunchtime I start my journey from Canberra, Australia [Bus +plane +plane+train+bus]. I will finally start walking from SJPdP on Friday 5 October. Does anybody else have a longer prelude to their Camino? cheers Alex
Yep Alex- your cousins from across the ditch ;-) But Buen Camino! Make sure you allow yourself some rest to get over jetlag.
Margaret

We'll be leaving from Adelaide and looking at having to catch about four planes :( at this stage. So much for Adelaide's direct flight promise!

Hope you have a good time.

Ah, the joys of living in Australia. It might sometimes be inconvenient but I wouldn't swap it for anywhere else. It takes a long time but aren't we fortunate to live in such a beautiful country and be able to jump on buses, planes and trains to go on pilgrimage to other beautiful but very different countries? The Spanish are very welcoming to Aussies - they even planted eucalypts so we'd feel at home :)

P.S. Yes I know the trees are a pest in Spain and I try to dislike them in their new home but I'm a bushwalker and, despite my best intentions, my heart still lifts at the sight of them.
And so does minw Julie
Tomorrow Tuesday 1 October at lunchtime I start my journey from Canberra, Australia [Bus +plane +plane+train+bus]. I will finally start walking from SJPdP on Friday 5 October.

cheers

Alex
I think that I may have a slightly longer prelude.....I am in Western Aust and I have: Walk to Train, catch train, catch bus, plane, plane, train, train and bus....such a long travelling time.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

cheers

Alex

Btw Alex, the Camino starts right at your doorstep, before you all them different means of transportations you´ve mentioned.

Buen Camino!

cheers

Alex

My prelude from California was longer than that! I flew a Space A (Space Available, military version of standby) flight from San Diego to Norfolk, VA. on a Saturday, got bumped off two flights a few days later and finally got on a flight going to Lisbon, PT that Friday, bought a ticket to Bilbao that night and flew out the next morning.
Flew to Bilbao with a short layover in Madrid, got to Bilbao and took a bus to Pamplona and got a room for the night, and took another bus to SJPDP the next day.

PS
To my fellow Aussie friends and pilgrims. After having lived 4 years in Killara and Mosman, NSW I totally agree with your love of country, but let it be know that the Basque Country with its beaches and mountains is also heaven on earth. Besides our wines are far superior to what you currently produce:eek:.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
PS
To my fellow Aussie friends and pilgrims. After having lived 4 years in Killara and Mosman, NSW I totally agree with your love of country, but let it be know that the Basque Country with its beaches and mountains is also heaven on earth. Besides our wines are far superior to what you currently produce:eek:.

OMG, it looks like I´m not the only one. I´m an American who after many years of traveling around discovered Euskal Herria / The Basque Country. I settled here and started a family here as well. I often say that I live in "Paradise". I have my mountains, my beaches,my Athletic........EUP!, and the food (awesome). I have all any man could desire. And I have the Camino which passes 2 minutes from my doorstep.

Buen Camino!

I once thought about moving back to Australia for many of reasons pointed out by some.

But then reading about the pre-pilgrimage trials and tribulations of those that travel from that "sun burnt country", I guess I am glad I live where I do.

Actually I would be more pleased if I lived in Europe and then I could start my pilgrimage by simply walking out the door.

Now that would be cool!

mendiwalker, i envy you living in the basque country of this beautiful country. you do live in paradise - the cuisine where the best chefs are trained. i can only come to spain for long periods of time as i enjoy this wonderful country.

alex, enjoy your camino. buen camino and god bless. que dios os bendiga.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Please Piogaw never envy anyone or anything. Envy is a something bad which eats it way out from someone´s insides.

Just enjoy it while you pass thru here or move here.;)

Buen Camino!

PS
I didn't see many beaches on the CF, but the mountains are magnificent. In spring, walking towards the snow covered Montes de Leon or Montes de Oca was something it will be difficult to forget. It was a bit heart rending to see eucalyptus trees formed up in rows outside Arzua. It is hard to think of them as plantation timber, but the scent made me homesick anyway.

It's a pity you don't seem to have a developed a good sense for fine wines while you were here!

cheers

Alex
Yes, same here. (San Francisco Oct 4th) Plane->bus->plane->bus->train (St Jean PdP Oct 5th). Start walking Oct 6th.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

cheers

Alex
desde argentina te deceo un buen camino y buen camino

cheers

Alex

LOL... Good for you!
It's going to be a blast. At least once the jet lag wears off. Just for kicks: Let's see: Plane, plane, plane...Bicycle, train, ferry, bicycle, bicycle, bicycle...Train, bicycle, train, bicycle... But not nearly as far I'm sure...
Enjoy,
Robin

A selection of Camino Jewellery
We'll be leaving from Adelaide and looking at having to catch about four planes attachFull6329 at this stage. So much for Adelaide's direct flight promise!

I leave in 2 months for the Camino Frances. I am flying Adelaide - Singapore - Paris. You all know what happens after that, so won't repeat. Good luck with your plans.

Attachments

• upload_2013-10-2_12-52-33.png
    upload_2013-10-2_12-52-33.png
    95 bytes · Views: 10
PS
That sounds very much like throwing down the gauntlet! :) Everyone knows we produce excellent wine but shhh ... just between you and me, my favourite wine is French rosé.

Funny how some places call you. I love Australia, have never lived anywhere else and cannot imagine living anywhere else on a permanent basis. Why then does my heart do a flutter and a flip when I'm in or approaching the Pyrenees?

dougfitz, I was being a little chauvinistic about the wine comparison, just for fun, because I do think you have some of the best chardonnays in the world, but the reds from Txacoli, Irouleguy and Rioja are some of the finest wines in the world. It's been nearly 20 years since I lived in Sydney and one thing I don't remember was a quality rose there and that is something we certainly do excel in here.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Everybody's Camino starts the moment they shut their door to leave their home. From then on, it's an adventure to be cherished. Even the 'frustration' of waiting for a plane/train/ or bus is part of your Camino. You will also welcome the long trip back home because it will give you time to rest and reflect on what you have just completed. Buen Camino, my heart is with you as you journey along the highways and byways. The pull to join you is very strong :)

As I said above "The Camino starts at your doorstep ." and I also say the Camino a Santiago ends in Santiago de Compostela. But" The Camino" never ends.;)

Buen Camino!

dougfitz, I was being a little chauvinistic about the wine comparison, just for fun, because I do think you have some of the best chardonnays in the world, but the reds from Txacoli, Irouleguy and Rioja are some of the finest wines in the world. It's been nearly 20 years since I lived in Sydney and one thing I don't remember was a quality rose there and that is something we certainly do excel in here.
... and I was being just a little parochial!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

I remember seeing one of our local Barossa Valley wines mentioned in an American novel a while back as a reference to a very expensive "hoity-toity" wine. Here it's about $6. I was giggling for days.

One thing I always miss when travelling is the Magpie wake up call. I just love that sound and it's the one thing I actually get a bit sorry for. I always find it really jarring to see Eucalypts in countries I don't expect them to be. We had lots around our dig house in Jordan and it was very bizarre to me.

cheers

Alex
I will be three days behind you--so unless you are really slow (or I suddenly become extremely fast) we may not meet. Are you taking any rest days anywhere? Buen Camino!

Counting down SJPdP - 3 days. I am already mentally transitioned from day-to-day grind to Camino.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Meh ... I actually live on Mars. Its a year on the chemical rocket that travels but once a year. If there is a delay in the Ceres Spaceport its usually better to go home and try again next year. Jet lag ... you have no idea. The worst part though is going down the side the beanstalk from space to dirtside.

How do you stand living in such a gravity pool? And you thought your feet were sore...

Whenever I hear the cuckoos in these forests I always think a kookaburra or a bell bird will chime in next. I lived on the edge of the forest preserve east of Gordon where a large fruit bat colony resides, it was also full of birds like lorikeets, kookaburras and guinea hens which I feed daily as well as a 2 meter long goanna; wonderful place!
Julie, FYI believe it or not real men here debate the relative merits and qualities of Spanish versus French roses, when one orders a glass of rose they must specify espangnol or provence. The Spanish ones tend to be plus forte!

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I leave Perth December 22 land in LA connect to Miami, Drive across the USA to LA, head to Mexico, then Central America, then to South America, then fly to Barcelona, to start my camino in September 2014. Back in Perth late October, November :)

Whenever I hear the cuckoos in these forests I always think a kookaburra or a bell bird will chime in next. I lived on the edge of the forest preserve east of Gordon where a large fruit bat colony resides, it was also full of birds like lorikeets, kookaburras and guinea hens which I feed daily as well as a 2 meter long goanna; wonderful place!
Julie, FYI believe it or not real men here debate the relative merits and qualities of Spanish versus French roses, when one orders a glass of rose they must specify espangnol or provence. The Spanish ones tend to be plus forte!

As you may already know, to have money in your pocket when you hear a cuckoo for the first time in spring you won´t be short of money that year.;)

Buen Camino!

I have never heard that parable before. Maybe I should be starting sooner than June next year with my pockets lined on gold?

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
My prelude from California was longer than that! I flew a Space A (Space Available, military version of standby) flight from San Diego to Norfolk, VA. on a Saturday, got bumped off two flights a few days later and finally got on a flight going to Lisbon, PT that Friday, bought a ticket to Bilbao that night and flew out the next morning.
Flew to Bilbao with a short layover in Madrid, got to Bilbao and took a bus to Pamplona and got a room for the night, and took another bus to SJPDP the next day.

What an adventure! I plan to fly Space A out of Travis in April to eventually get to Rota then Seville to do the VDLP. I'm thinking it should take me a week, or so. Especially if I get diverted to Germany or England. It may take some time getting there but, you've got to admit, the price is right. Just in case, I'm boning up on my German along with my Spanish. Let many have said here; your Camino starts at your front door. Good luck on your Space A trip back.

Buen Camino

Hi Alex, et al. I hope you all's Camino is going well. I am back home nursing my foot and reminiscing about the good times, and planning the continuations for next years. It was good meeting you all.

What good taste the real men of the Basque Country have! Thanks for the tip. I'll remember to include provence in my rosé order in future.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Just read this thread for the first time,always surprises me how many Aussies live in other countries,myself,I live in France & Oz,I would move to France permanently,in a heartbeat. The biggest pull(& it is a BIG pull, is family,so important to me)......The food ? France everytime.......Wine? France again,hands down............Civility & Respect towards their seniors ?.......France.............just my opinion,for what its worth......please,I dont want to get into a country vs country argument,once again just my opinion.........:).........keep smiling..........Vicrev

As an Aussie Canadian I would move to Europe in a heart beat - it would certainly save having to take those long nasty trans-Atlantic flights back and forth each time.

Still work on a plan to make it happen.

I just did one of those nasty trans-Atlantic trips this week; it required the train from Biarritz to Bordeaux and planes from Bordeaux to Amsterdam then on to Atlanta and finally to Naples. I come back here to enjoy the winter warmth every year. I love living in France and everything vicrev said is true. People, food, wine and civility are definitely at the top of the list; politics and the acrimony that comes along with it are only dealt with in the abstract.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Why is the green emoticon a grin? I was after envy - or don't we do sins on this forum?

I might love Australia but, boy, wouldn't I love to see how long I'd last living in France. That would probably translate to two Caminos a year instead of one ... drool ... deep sigh.

Most read last week in this forum

A message has just been posted on the Facebook account of the albergue in Roncesvalles. It seems the combination of pilgrim numbers beyond their capacity and poor weather has made this a difficult...
I’m on the Camino Frances since April 4. I just finished the Meseta and it feels unpleasantly busy and has since the beginning. No time time to smell the roses or draw much. There is a sense from...
Hello, I'll be starting the Camino soon and there's one bit of it that worries me. The descent from Collado de Lepoeder to Roncesvalles seems quite steep (according to the Wise Pilgrim app) which...
We are in SJPP today While we were standing in line today, one of my pilgrims met 3 people from Taiwan, who could not find a bed. He said he also saw several people on their phones, frantically...
Good morning, all: I'll be starting my first-ever Camino (and first trip to Europe, actually) in one month. I'd appreciate any and all advice regarding the price(s)/price range for lunches on the...
Hi everyone. My name is Nika. I plan to take my backpack, and go on Camino in the end of the next week. I still don’t know how will I get from Kyiv to France. And what city should I come to… I...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back