• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

A week after the Camino

Time of past OR future Camino
September 5 2014
I leave SjPdP on the 5th of september and need to be in Paris on the 24th October. I think I will have plenty of time after the Camino but where do I go. Travel through France back to Paris? Travel to Madrid and fly to Paris? Bus to Bilbao and San Seb and make my way up to Paris? What have people done in the past? What advice can people give for a solo food and wine lover?

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I leave SjPdP on the 5th of september and need to be in Paris on the 24th October. I think I will have plenty of time after the Camino but where do I go. Travel through France back to Paris? Travel to Madrid and fly to Paris? Bus to Bilbao and San Seb and make my way up to Paris? What have people done in the past? What advice can people give for a solo food and wine lover?
Hi David,
My two friends and myself will be leaving SJPDP on the 5th also. We are spending the 5th at Orrison. We are leaving from Lisbon on October 23rd. We are hoping to have a week or so in Portugal. Hope to see you somewhere along the way!
Buen Camino
Debbie

Aena operates Spains airports. There is information about airlines and destinations. The Vigo airport site indicates Air France flights direct from Vigo to Paris Charles de Gaulle. The Santiago airport site indicates Vueling flights to Paris Charles de Gaulle.

Santiago Airport
http://www.aena-aeropuertos.es/csee/Satellite/Aeropuerto-Santiago/en/Santiago.html

Vigo Airport
http://www.aena-aeropuertos.es/csee/Satellite/Aeropuerto-Vigo/en/Home.html

Other flight options include Santiago to Paris via Barcelona, London, or Madrid.

Renfe Operates trains from Santiago to Irun and Barcelona (Sants). SNCF operates trains from Irun and Barcelona to Paris. Time of travel is about the same either way.

Renfe
http://www.renfe.com/

SNCF
http://www.sncf.com/

There are buses but that's pretty slow by comparison. ALSA operates buses from Santiago to Irun. I haven't figured out how to get from Irun to Paris by bus but it is possible.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
You should be in Santiago by October 8th or so. Spend a day or two in Santiago seeing your Camino buddies arrive, and then walk to Finisterre and Muxia, which will take 3 - 5 days. The food and wine are nothing extra special but plenty of good Spanish wine and food is available and it's a great way to end your Camino. Then, since you are a food and wine lover, go to Madrid (we trained but there are busses and planes) for a few days; all sorts of great food and wine there. Then, if you can afford it, plan to spend the rest of your extra time in Paris (I'd fly), unless you are planning to stay there after the 24th and will have plenty of time then to enjoy French food and wine.

Karl

I spent time in Santiago catching up with fellow pilgrims and then flew to Barcelona. The big city was hard to cope with after the peace of the Camino. But then I bussed to the small seaside town of Tossa del Mar and that was the perfect wind down .I was on my own and am a foodie. It is a great place to wander on your own and the food was lovely. Grilled sardines on the beach. It was a good way to reconnect with the world.

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Most read last week in this forum

We arrived in Santiago and after searching ways to get back to Pamplona it worked out easier to hire a car . It would mean picking the car up from Santiago airport and leaving it at a hotel in...
Hi , I'm looking for some advice. I'm flying to Madrid and catching a bus to Burgos to walk to León. I'm using a light weight foldable bag for my rucksack & poles but I would rather leave the...
Hello, I am 16 days out from "boots on the ground" on the Frances route. As I am a solo female pilgrim My family wants to be able to find me any time day or night as I make my way across Spain...
Madrid Albergue near airport? I will be going on to Irun/San Sebastian. With thanks, fondly sandi
I was trying to buy an Alsa bus ticket on-line to take us from Pamplona to SJPDP. It ask for a "document" and document number? Passport isn't mentioned and it wont let me make a purchase without...
Buen Camino everyone. What is usually the plan once you reach Santiago. Can people walk back and stay at alberges on the return leg of the trip? Or do people just bus or train back to the...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back