• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Accommodation after Mieres?

peregrina2000

Staff member
I think I know the answer to this but I'm hoping maybe someone has found a secret casa rural close to the camino or something like that.

If all goes according to plan, I'll spend my third night on the Salvador at the new albergue in Bendueños. Next day it's 25 km to Mieres, but if it were possible, I'd really like to continue on past Mieres. I'm looking for ways to have as close to a full day as possible in Oviedo the following day. From Mieres, it's 18 to Oviedo, but if I could get even closer it would be better!

Thanks everyone. Buen camino, Laurie

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I think I know the answer to this but I'm hoping maybe someone has found a secret casa rural close to the camino or something like that.

If all goes according to plan, I'll spend my third night on the Salvador at the new albergue in Bendueños. Next day it's 25 km to Mieres, but if it were possible, I'd really like to continue on past Mieres. I'm looking for ways to have as close to a full day as possible in Oviedo the following day. From Mieres, it's 18 to Oviedo, but if I could get even closer it would be better!

Thanks everyone. Buen camino, Laurie

Laurie:

As I recall, the route from Mieres was much less difficult than I anticipated. After a nice lunch and a stop in the Cathedral in Oviedo, I kept walking to Escamplero.

I can only recall one town along the way. Do not remember the name but it did have a bar, where I had a coffee, and I guess there is the possibility of some type of accommodation.

Joe

Laurie:

As I recall, the route from Mieres was much less difficult than I anticipated. After a nice lunch and a stop in the Cathedral in Oviedo, I kept walking to Escamplero.

I can only recall one town along the way. Do not remember the name but it did have a bar, where I had a coffee, and I guess there is the possibility of some type of accommodation.

Joe

Hi, Joe,
Thanks, I bet you are thinking of Olloniego, but I can't find any accommodation there. It's the town right before the second of the three ascents between Mieres and Oviedo. I'm asking because I would like to have as much time as possible in Oviedo on the day I walk in. My idea is to stay in the new albergue in Benduenos the night before, but it's too far from Oviedo for me to do it in a day. Mieres is the logical stop, but I was hoping that there might be some other option closer in so that I would have an even shorter day into Oviedo, where I'm going to visit some friends.

Buen camino, Laurie

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi, Joe,
Thanks, I bet you are thinking of Olloniego, but I can't find any accommodation there. It's the town right before the second of the three ascents between Mieres and Oviedo. I'm asking because I would like to have as much time as possible in Oviedo on the day I walk in. My idea is to stay in the new albergue in Benduenos the night before, but it's too far from Oviedo for me to do it in a day. Mieres is the logical stop, but I was hoping that there might be some other option closer in so that I would have an even shorter day into Oviedo, where I'm going to visit some friends.

Buen camino, Laurie

Laurie:

That could have been the town. I was very happy to find a place where I could get a cup of coffee.

The Albergue in Mieres is on the Oviedo side of town. It is pretty dreary and I would not be comfortable with my wife staying there alone. The place had broken windows and was pretty much in disrepair. That said, it did have hot showers. I was lucky to catch the guy who has the key when I stopped. The center of town is another km or 2 back.

The walk to Oviedo was far less difficult than I expected based on the map. I believe I arrived around noon the next day. I was just pleased that I finally had a nice sunny day.

Joe

Laurie:

That could have been the town. I was very happy to find a place where I could get a cup of coffee.

The Albergue in Mieres is on the Oviedo side of town. It is pretty dreary and I would not be comfortable with my wife staying there alone. The place had broken windows and was pretty much in disrepair. That said, it did have hot showers. I was lucky to catch the guy who has the key when I stopped. The center of town is another km or 2 back.

The walk to Oviedo was far less difficult than I expected based on the map. I believe I arrived around noon the next day. I was just pleased that I finally had a nice sunny day.

Joe

Hi, Joe,
You know, on both of my walks on this route, I had a hard time on the stage into Oviedo. That's probably because I started at Pola de Lena instead of Mieres. Those three ascents after the flat 15 km to Mieres just took the energy out of me. I remember getting to the top of the second hill, seeing Oviedo below, and then realizing there was one more hill to go up before I got down there! (And now looking at Ender's guide, I see that it was a REALLY trivial hill, about 50 m up:D)

I remember the last time I did it, I had a pep talk from Ender the day before in Campomanes, and it did wonders for me. When I got to Mieres, a snack and a rest. When I got to the top of each of those three hills, the same. The advice he gave me in Spanish was that I had to "mentalizarme." Good word, I guess the closest in English would be something like "psych yourself up." In any event, it's advice I have often relied on. But I am looking forward to seeing whether starting in Mieres changes the way I feel about that section!

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Hi, Joe,
You know, on both of my walks on this route, I had a hard time on the stage into Oviedo. That's probably because I started at Pola de Lena instead of Mieres. Those three ascents after the flat 15 km to Mieres just took the energy out of me. I remember getting to the top of the second hill, seeing Oviedo below, and then realizing there was one more hill to go up before I got down there! (And now looking at Ender's guide, I see that it was a REALLY trivial hill, about 50 m up:D)
And I remember thinking, was that the ascent mentioned in Gronze, I was sure that there was still one to come😉. And since I followed your suggestion, I too walked from Pola de Lena to Oviedo. Since the municipal only opens at 4 p.m. I even had time to visit the Cathedral and pick up my Salvadoriana before checking in. I then returned later to visit the museum which is free when you show you've walked the Salvador.

Most read last week in this forum

(Soon-) Live from the Camino del Salvador - starting end of April 24. We are currently on the Camino de Invierno around 43km before reaching Santiago - from there we will catch a bus to Leon to...
First time posting Live? Left León at 8am. Arrived at Cabanillas 2. The path is very beautiful. 20km total. Followed the River. At first town we went to the lovely Bar and Tienda. I bought cheese...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.