• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Accommodation Options Between Caceres and Salamanca

Time of past OR future Camino
Juli "2015 CF 2016 2017 and next coming Year 2018. Frances Aragones Frances Portuguese Frances
Hi guys!

Starting in June but from Caceres or Salamanca. It seems a long etappe from Caceres 33km. Is it possible to find an albergue in between? It seems the albergue Embalse de Alcantara is temporay closed? Is it hard to find accomodaton in between the well known etappas up to Salamanca?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
You could stop in Casar de Cáceres (which has an albergue), a short stage of about 11 km from the town of Cáceres, then Cañaveral, about 31 km after that. Gronze will give you good information about where to stay. Here is the link for the first stage: https://www.gronze.com/etapa/caceres/embalse-alcantara

Last edited:
As far as I know the albergue at the embalse is closed. It was so in 2015 and I don't think it ever opened since then. I will be walking there again in a few months again and reckon I will have to walk 33 km to Canaveral, if starting in Casar de Caceres . From Caceres it would be 44, and that's far too much for me.That would mean that either I would have to walk from Valdesalor tò Casar de Caceres and not stay in the beautiful city of Caceres, take a taxi to Casar ( or further) or walk a very short stage to Casar.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
You could stop in Casar de Cáceres (which has an albergue), a short stage of about 11 km from the town of Cáceres, then Cañaveral, about 31 km after that. Gronze will give you good information about where to stay. Here is the link for the first stage: https://www.gronze.com/etapa/caceres/embalse-alcantara

The albergue at Casar de Cáceres is new and next to the pool. There are cafes across the road. Last year there was nothing between Casar de Cáceres and Canaveral so it would be walk, taxi or train from Cáceres to Canaveral in the early morning.Casar de Cáceres Albegue.JPG

The albergue at Casar de Cáceres is new and next to the pool.
Oh, when I saw that, I thought hooray — the municipality has closed up the place next to the Ayuntamiento and opened a new municipal albergue. But no such luck. The one in the picture is a private one, and though I haven’t stayed there, I can concur with all the negative recommendations in Gronze that the municipal albergue is in a state of very bad repair. As I remember, the bathroom situation was particularly unpleasant, but that was more than 10 years ago, I bet.

I looked at the website of this newer place, @Corned Beef, and it looks like they just have rooms with two beds. Are there albergue-like dorm rooms, too? Looks like a nice place!

But still no updated info on the albergue at the Embalse. Looking back at my WhatsApps, I see I stayed there in May 2018. There were a few closures for a couple of weeks, and then it never reopened after covid. In 2021 he wrote that because of a change in political party at the regional level, re-opening was delayed. And finallly in Feb. 2022, I got a message saying he was no longer the albergue manager and that the whole thing was in limbo. Which is apparently where it will be for the foreseeable future.

Oh, when I saw that, I thought hooray — the municipality has closed up the place next to the Ayuntamiento and opened a new municipal albergue. But no such luck. The one in the picture is a private one, and though I haven’t stayed there, I can concur with all the negative recommendations in Gronze that the municipal albergue is in a state of very bad repair. As I remember, the bathroom situation was particularly unpleasant, but that was more than 10 years ago, I bet.

I looked at the website of this newer place, @Corned Beef, and it looks like they just have rooms with two beds. Are there albergue-like dorm rooms, too? Looks like a nice place!

But still no updated info on the albergue at the Embalse. Looking back at my WhatsApps, I see I stayed there in May 2018. There were a few closures for a couple of weeks, and then it never reopened after covid. In 2021 he wrote that because of a change in political party at the regional level, re-opening was delayed. And finallly in Feb. 2022, I got a message saying he was no longer the albergue manager and that the whole thing was in limbo. Which is apparently where it will be for the foreseeable future.
My reaction was the same! I slept in the muni in Casar de Cáceres twice and since free - yes free, there was not even a donativo box! - I didn't feel I had a right to complain.

Both times walking the Plata my stage was Casar de Cáceres to Cañaveral. In 2011 there was also a muni "albergue" in Cañaveral. I put albergue in quotes since it was a bizarre situation, not an albergue at all but an apartment with a few rooms with mattresses. I'm not picky but it was questionable and "nicer" than Casar de Cáceres 😂.

Is it correct that there is now a private albergue in Cañaveral?

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.

The bathroom/shower situation, right net to a bank of bunks, was like that in 2022.

Casar de Cáceres: I stayed at the private one in the picture and it's more a hostal (private rooms or maybe sharing with one or two other pilgrims if you walk together) than an albergue, I'd say. Not bad though and casar was a more pleasant town than I'd expected.

As far as I know, the main option in Cañaveral is the hostal there which is really good and has dorms. Dont know about any other albergue.

I would say in general there is enough accommodation between Cáceres and Salamanca on most stages to be able to do shorter stages than gronze if willing to do some detours, but I met few pilgrims on this section and a significant amount of those seemed to suffer from long distances and being tired. One pilgrim slept outside at the closed embalse albergue which I would not recommend. Better to take alternative transportation (taxi,...) for the longest parts if you're sure it will be too long.

Like most of these other posts, we stayed in Casar de Cáceres and then walked to Cañaveral. It's a wonderful, dramatic walk. The walk to Casar de Cáceres seemed weirdly short and left us with lots of time there. That was frustrating until we learned about and tried the world-class Torta del Casar cheese, which is probably the best cheese I've ever eaten. It's expensive but about a quarter of the price you might pay in a gourmet cheese store in the US. If you stay there, try the cheese!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
In 2011 there was also a muni "albergue" in Cañaveral.
Gronze doesn’t even show a muni now. It shows Hostal Málaga, Hostel Cañaveral (must be an albergue turístico), and Posada La Campana. The municipal albergue was also there when I stayed in Cañaveral in 2010, but I went to the Hostal Málaga.

The Embalse situation makes it more likely that people will stay in Cañaveral, so maybe there will be some municipal action.

I'm happy to stay in Hostel Malaga as I have done in the past. I think this April I will get a taxi to the Embalse and walk from there.

On arrival in Casar de Cacares I walked into the private albergue near the pool, to be told very quickly that the municipal albergue was at the other end of town. Whether they were fully booked or did not like the look of me I don't know, however the muni was fine. Very basic and the toilets were within a couple of metres of the bunks, but it had a washing machine and my fellow pilgrims made up for the spartan surroundings.

On arrival in Canaveral after eight hours walking - there is no food or drink to be had on this section, so be prepared - I found a bunk at Hostal Canaveral which for 15 euros was well worth it. Beers with some others went down very well!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I stick to my first plan and leave from Salamanca. I believe to have read its a long stage? Is there possibiliy to cut the stage, for its the first day of walking? And another question about the Gronze app, is it only in Spanish written?

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I stick to my first plan and leave from Salamanca. I believe to have read its a long stage? Is there possibiliy to cut the stage, for its the first day of walking? And another question about the Gronze app, is it only in Spanish written?
It is only in Spanish, but if you have "chrome" on your device it translate easily. I love Gronze, I used it on all my caminos as my main source of information

Most read last week in this forum

After a smooth and uneventful flight from Chicago to Madrid on Iberia, the last three days we have been doing some sightseeing in Salamanca and Zamora, and our days have been sunny, a little cool...
After 13 days of walking I've finished my 337km walk on the Camino Sanabres, and my entire 1400km walk from Almería. Yay! If anyone's interested in a day-by-day report, you can find it on my...
Hello, Has anyone travelled by train or bus from Santiago to Zamora on to Granja de Moreruela, I've checked online and it seems there is a train from Santiago to Zamora. I will be flying from the...
One route looks a bit steeper, one a bit longer (not much). How else are they different? Recommendations?
I left them on the trail about 4-5 k before Cea I expect to be in Santiago on April 27-28. Mu email is written on the sides of the poles (for just this eventuality). If you find them and we can...
I think I’m on day 12, so not quite two weeks in. Thus far the VDLP is definitely a different animal than the CF. And I have to say, I’m struggling to enjoy it as much as the CF last year. I...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back