• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Accommodation Over Semana Santa

SitaClaire

Time of past OR future Camino
Planning to walk the camino mid April to mid May 2017 from Madrid
I have a hostel booked in Madrid for my arrival on Thursday night, but as I'm not exactly sure how far I'll get each day I'm reluctant to book accommodation along the route ahead of time. Would the accommodation along the first four stages of the walk potentially be booked out over Semana Santa? Or is there unlikely to be much competition from Spanish holiday makers?

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I have a hostel booked in Madrid for my arrival on Thursday night, but as I'm not exactly sure how far I'll get each day I'm reluctant to book accommodation along the route ahead of time. Would the accommodation along the first four stages of the walk potentially be booked out over Semana Santa? Or is there unlikely to be much competition from Spanish holiday makers?

Hi Sita Claire,

I wouldn't know about la Semana Santa, but I started from Madrid at San Juan last year. The first stages form Madrid pass through hamlets that are popular among madrileños when they go on vacation. I had planned to stay in Tres Cantos, but everything was taken. I didn't get hold of the people who run the albergue (perhaps they had gone on vacation as well). I had to push on to the next town, about 12 kms more...

/BP

Hi Sita Claire,
In Tres Cantos there is accommodation in the Town Hall, usually you can't access it until 21.00 but as the Town Hall will be shut on Good Friday you may be able to get in early, ask the local Police. There is a lady in Colmenar Viejo who lets out beds in a house, usually to pilgrims, I doubt that she will be affected by holiday makers, it is a couple of rooms with 6 or 7 beds! I'm not sure about the accommodation in Manzanares but after that there are Albergues, or, in Cercedilla, the polideportivo. You only have 3 nights of Semana Santa to worry about but Manzanares may be your biggest problem.
Good luck, buen camino

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hi SitaClare I start walking on 17th April. Mataelpino has an albergue. Cost about 8 Euro

Hi Sita Claire,
In Tres Cantos there is accommodation in the Town Hall, usually you can't access it until 21.00 but as the Town Hall will be shut on Good Friday you may be able to get in early, ask the local Police. There is a lady in Colmenar Viejo who lets out beds in a house, usually to pilgrims, I doubt that she will be affected by holiday makers, it is a couple of rooms with 6 or 7 beds! I'm not sure about the accommodation in Manzanares but after that there are Albergues, or, in Cercedilla, the polideportivo. You only have 3 nights of Semana Santa to worry about but Manzanares may be your biggest problem.
Good luck, buen camino

By the way Sulu,

I've read all your previous blogs with great interest. And got a lot of inspiration for my choices of caminos. Do you have any new Camino plans for this summer?

/BP

Hi,

I'm currently on the camino de Madrid. This Monday I couldn't stay in the Mataelpino albergue - they were changing some water pipes or something like this and were closed. Because of this I had to make additional 12 kms to Cercedilla. I don't know for how longer they will be closed, better call them in advance. Otherwise everything goes smoothly. Buen camino!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.