• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Accommodation

Kathleen tracy

Time of past OR future Camino
Astorga to santiago de compostela
Hi me yet again! Ive seen online than on application to the confraternity of st james schengen visa i am required to pre book and pay for accommodation along our walk. We were hoping to stop over at whichever little hamlet took our fancy. Plse will someone clear this up for me. Thanks again

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
There was a recent discussion by South Africans on another thread about the need for an invitation and for booked accommodation as part of the visa application. Trying searching the forum using a variety of search words ... search icon button in top right corner of page.

This was not it, but may have some info. One link. One solution was to use a booking site that allows you to cancel.

Hi me yet again! Ive seen online than on application to the confraternity of st james schengen visa i am required to pre book and pay for accommodation along our walk. We were hoping to stop over at whichever little hamlet took our fancy. Plse will someone clear this up for me. Thanks again

Are you from South Africa? If yes, please contact the https://www.csjofsa.za.org/ They will guide you through the process! BC SY

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
If you walk in winter, most private albergues will be closed. I don't know about casas rurales, but I'd ask beforehand.
Public (parish or municipal) abergues are usually open all-year round. Not reservations accepted, you just come in and ask for a place. Given the season, they will not be crowded, and there is always a good feeling amongst walkers.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
When I have taken walkers from South Africa on my group trips, I must supply them with a calendar of dates and when they will sleep in each lodging, which means you must book all of your lodging ahead of time in a way that makes sense. Whether or not you STICK to that once you arrive is another matter. But in order to get the VISA, you must provide proof of each booking in my experience.

But in order to get the VISA, you must provide proof of each booking in my experience.

The Confraternity of St James in South Africa (https://www.csjofsa.za.org/) can issue the member with an official letter stating that the member will be walking the camino. This letter is accepted by the Spanish embassy in South Africa. Proof of booked accommodation is not required by the person named in the said letter. All the South Africans in my groups have done this successfully.

The Confraternity of St James in South Africa (https://www.csjofsa.za.org/) can issue the member with an official letter stating that the member will be walking the camino. This letter is accepted by the Spanish embassy in South Africa. Proof of booked accommodation is not required by the person named in the said letter. All the South Africans in my groups have done this successfully.

This is great information. In the past, we've had to prove booked accommodation, but I haven't had a South African in the past few years.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
This is great information. In the past, we've had to prove booked accommodation, but I haven't had a South African in the past few years.

Just for interest, the letter they issued to me reads:

Confraternity of St James South Africa
Request for Application of a Schengen Visa
6 February 2017

To The Supervisor
Visa Section
Consulate-General of Spain
South Africa

Dear Sir/Madam

This letter serves to confirm that Ms Jill Margaret Salt, South Africa passport holder number [xxxxxxxxx], is a member of the “Confraternity of St James of South Africa”. Her pilgrim passport/credencial reference number is: 2017/0184 – CSJofSA.

Ms Salt is a bona fide pilgrim and will be walking from Leon to Santiago de Compostela commencing 09 September 2017.

Ms Salt will primarily be staying overnight in dedicated pilgrims’ accommodation establishments (e.g. refugios and albergues) along The Way, where it is not possible to pre-book accommodation. Her itinerary will be determined by weather conditions and the degree of difficulty of the terrain along her intended route.

Yours sincerely

[Signed by the Chairman]

Confraternity of St James of South Africa

Most read last week in this forum

Good morning! My name is Samantha, and I am planning my first camino for May 2025. I am a bit overwhelmed trying to make a list of everything I need to have planned prior to starting. Does anyone...
Good evening all! We began our yearly route to Santiago, today! We 4 Peregrinos resumed our Camino at Rabanal del Camino and walked to Acebo. We encountered Snow, Hail Stones and rain. We loved...
Hi I'm Keith 60 years young from Newcastle upon Tyne UK.arriving on the 1635 Edinburgh ryanair flight on 9th September 2024 anyone like to share my express bourricot
June 22 -@Amachant (SJPP)
I loved my 2022 Camino Frances!! Leaving Los Angeles on May 26 for Lisbon. Will walk the Portuguese Costal route and the spiritual variant. Starts from Porto on June 4 and arrive in Santiago on...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back