• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

accommodations in SJPdP

Stellere

Time of past OR future Camino
March 2014 - con mi padre
Bonjour! I'll be in SJPdP mid-day on March 17th. After looking carefully at all of the albergues that I bookmarked, it turns out that none of them are open yet! If I understand correctly, I can't stay at municipal albergues unless I walked, but I'll be arriving in SJPdP by train. Any suggestions for inexpensive accommodations?

I leave for my Camino in 29 days!!!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Bonjour! I'll be in SJPdP mid-day on March 17th. After looking carefully at all of the albergues that I bookmarked, it turns out that none of them are open yet! If I understand correctly, I can't stay at municipal albergues unless I walked, but I'll be arriving in SJPdP by train. Any suggestions for inexpensive accommodations?

Stellere,

Since many pilgrims begin their Camino in SJPdP there is NO problem for you to stay in the municipal albergue on your first night without having walked. Go first in Saint-Jean to the office for the Amis du Chemin de Saint Jacques at 39 rue de la Citadelle which usually stays open for the arrival of the last train. Their telephone is 05 59 37 05 09. . They can provide you with a Credential and lodging assistance. Their volunteers help run the municipal albergue at 55 rue de la Citadelle. If their albergue is full they will help you find other pilgrim lodgings when you are on site. They keep up to the minute lists of available space throughout the SJPdP area.

Buen Camino,

Margaret

I arrived to SJPDP in mid afternoon (1600) in late June 2013. I walked straight to the Pilgrims office and got checked in and my credential stamped, and was asked if I would like a bed in in the Municipal Albergue for €8 including breakfast, I paid him on the spot and he walked me up the street to the Albergue to show me to my bed.
Don't worry about reserving a bed in SJPDP, you're getting there at a good time.

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
If I remember correctly, the municipal albergue reserves some of their beds for pilgrims who are walking into SJPP, but they definitely have beds available for pilgrims beginning their journeys in SJPP. Great information above, from Margaret. The Pilgrim Office will take care of you!

I arrived to SJPDP in mid afternoon (1600) in late June 2013. I walked straight to the Pilgrims office and got checked in and my credential stamped, and was asked if I would like a bed in in the Municipal Albergue for €8 including breakfast, I paid him on the spot and he walked me up the street to the Albergue to show me to my bed.
Don't worry about reserving a bed in SJPDP, you're getting there at a good time.

You lucked out, Bajaracer. When my friend and I arrived on June 1st the municipal albergue was full but the gentleman at the Pilgrims office stamped our credentials, gave us maps, & took us to the next available private accommodation which was next door. Unfortunately the hospitalera turned out to be the hospitalera from hell. Communication was difficult since I don't speak French and she doesn't speak English. She told us no shoes allowed in the rooms ( thru sign language) . We understood & we nodded our heads. The room had one double bed & one single. She wanted us to share the double bed. Ok, so maybe this is how it is done in France. My friend was rolling her eyes all this time. The room has wooden floor but we noticed the middle of the room was caving inwards so that we had to hang onto the bed so as not to slip & fall. In the late evening when we were in bed trying to rest and get ready for next day's ascent to Orisson she would bring in peregrinos to show the single bed. This went on 3 more times until the 4th one took the bed. Put up with it but wondered why she did not have the decency to knock first. Anyway we got up at 7am, gathered our stuff, put on our shoes & waited by the entrance door for the dining room to open for breakfast. That's when she showed up, mad as hell. I did not understand why she was mad at us. Luckily one of the pilgrims understood French . She told us because we put on our shoes. I was beginning to seethe . Told her we were ready to leave just waiting for breakfast. That's when she said no breakfast (which we paid for) for us. I got up, told the french pilgrim to translate for me, grabbed my backpack & told her I don't want her breakfast that she can shove it where the sun doesn't shine and that I can buy my breakfast anywhere I want. She grabbed my arm & tried to stop me. Yelled at her & told her to get her hands off me or there will be trouble then walked out of that place. So my point is check around first. There were lots of albergues that we passed by on our way out of SJPP. Hope nobody experienced what we did on our first day of walking.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
You lucked out, Bajaracer. When my friend and I arrived on June 1st the municipal albergue was full

What time did you arrive to the Pilgrims office? I took the 1400 bus from Pamplona on 23 June 2013 and got to SJPDP at around 1545-1600, the Municipal Albergue ran out of beds after 1700, maybe I was lucky.

What time did you arrive to the Pilgrims office? I took the 1400 bus from Pamplona on 23 June 2013 and got to SJPDP at around 1545-1600, the Municipal Albergue ran out of beds after 1700, maybe I was lucky.

We arrived on June 2 around 2pm via taxi from Pamplona & the Pilgrims office was already packed. You sure lucked out. After Roncesvalles everything went well except the heavy
rains after zubiri. Made it to Santiago with no blisters . Thank you St James.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

We arrived on June 2 around 2pm via taxi from Pamplona & the Pilgrims office was already packed. You sure lucked out. After Roncesvalles everything went well except the heavy
rains after zubiri. Made it to Santiago with no blisters . Thank you St James.

I *almost* felt disappointed because I really wanted to stay at l'Esprit du Chemin, and it's closed until April. Then I realized that it's silly to feel disappointed about such a trivial thing - especially when I'm about to set out on such an amazing journey. See? I'm already trying to learn to let go! ;)

Thanks to everyone for easing my mind. I won't worry about a bed in SJPP until I get there.

I will be arriving in SJPP on March 5 of this year by train at 19:31 from Bayonne. I like Stellere am wondering whether the Pilgrim office will be open to stamp my passport and help me get a room at the municipal albergue that evening. Thanks Professor

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
The Pilgrim Office stays open until after the last train, so head straight there on arrival. They will put you in the albergue or help you find a place for the night. In March it won't be very busy.

The Pilgrim Office stays open until after the last train, so head straight there on arrival. They will put you in the albergue or help you find a place for the night. In March it won't be very busy.
Thanks for the information.

Gracias a todos! I have one more logistical question…I'll be staying overnight in Bayonne, and then taking the train to SJPP the following day. Does the Bayonne-SJPP train have to be booked in advance in mid-March? Would I be taking a risk by only purchasing that last leg of the train trip on the day that I arrive? Thanks!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
As long as the rail staff are not on strike (which happens) you should be fine to get your ticket for SJPDP on the day of travel.

No risk. It's just a little train that rattles through the hills and it is very unlikely that it will be any where near busy at that time of year. I'm not even sure that you could book in advance.

Does the Bayonne-SJPP train have to be booked in advance in mid-March?
There are no reservations and no seat assignments on the train to SJPdP. Standing and bicycles are permitted. I don't think anyone is ever left behind. Remember that even in the busy season, only a couple hundred pilgrims start in SJPdP, and they probably could all be fit on one train. It is not a long ride, about an hour, so standing is not terribly uncomfortable, especially considering you will be spending a month on your feet soon after disembarking!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Thank you very much! This forum really is a treasure. I appreciate all of the help.

As I am arriving in SJPdP after 7 in the evening is it possible to spend two nights at an albergue or must I leave the next morning.

As I am arriving in SJPdP after 7 in the evening is it possible to spend two nights at an albergue or must I leave the next morning.

Professor,

Generally pilgrims must leave albergues after one night. Exceptions are made only for sickness or emergencies. However, some private albergues may allow you to book two nights. Early March when you plan to start should be a relatively slow period with few pilgrims in SJPdP. Not all albergues will be open but the municipal albergue at 39/55 rue de La Citadelle will be.

Margaret Meredith

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.

Most read last week in this forum

Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back