Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Accommodations - Whether to book in advance on the Primitivo

Orange

Time of past OR future Camino
May 2022
Hi everyone
tomorrow I will arrive in Oviedo and on Thursday I will start my first solo camino .
Having had no time to plan my camino in advance, I wondering if at the moment it is better to book the albergues in advance or there will be no problems finding a place to sleep every day.

thank in advance

stefano

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi everyone
tomorrow I will arrive in Oviedo and on Thursday I will start my first solo camino .
Having had no time to plan my camino in advance, I wondering if at the moment it is better to book the albergues in advance or there will be no problems finding a place to sleep every day.

thank in advance

stefano
As we both start on Thursday, if you book ahead and I do not, this would be an interesting experiment 😎

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
In terms of accommodation, make sure you have a hearty plate of fabada, washed down with some delicious sidra natural a couple of hours before bed. You'll be guaranteed a little bit of privacy. Buen Camino!

Hi. I understand things are a bit busy on some of the trails right now, but as a solo walker on the Primitive in summer 2018, the only booking I did was for Santiago de Compostela. Getting a single bed anywhere was not a problem. Buen Camino.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I finished the Primitivo two weeks ago and I'd suggest maybe booking your first night or two to be sure, and then seeing how busy it feels. There aren't as many places to stop and stay on the Primitivo, so within a couple of days you'll see if places are squeezed full or have space and that'll help you decide whether you need to reserve for the rest of the journey or if it's safe to just turn up.

I’m a solo walker on the primitivo right now and I have had no trouble finding a bed even when I don’t book in advance. I’m also hearing from other pilgrims that there are often empty beds in at least one albergue per town (usually the municipal which can’t be reserved in advance). Of course many albergues I’ve stayed in (especially those that can be reserved) have been full most nights.

That said, I’m a slow walker and often am one of the last to arrive in town, so I frequently choose my destination for the next day or two and book one, maybe two nights ahead. As I’m primarily looking for dorms, that has never been a problem. If you are looking for private rooms it is more difficult in the busier places (but still pretty easy in the “in between” places).

I have really enjoyed that method because I can keep in tune with how I’m feeling each day and not feel like I’m stuck in a schedule because I’ve booked so far in advance.

If you want private rooms, don’t trust booking.com necessarily as most places don’t put all of their rooms on there. You can call or Whatsapp message most places and reserve a room that way (and usually for cheaper than booking.com).

All THAT said, the next couple of weeks are big holidays in Spain, so it’s quite possible beds will be more and more difficult to come between now and May 22nd, especially in places that are not exclusive for pilgrims.

Probably depends on the time of the year. My wife and I had zero issues with accommodations when we walked from Oviedo in mid September 2018.
Mid May is getting into Camino prime time, so you might possibly have issues.
The popularity of the Primitivo and all routes has certainly increased in the last five years except the Covid debacle years.
The Primitivo remains as my favorite walk in Spain/Portugal by far, so enjoy!
Personally, my wife and I never pre-book anything other than airport hotels trusting a room/bed will be there when we need one.
We haven't slept outside yet, but no big deal if it happens at some point.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I walked in September 2018 and had no problems getting a bed even when the path joined the CF after Melide. I have also walked the CF, the Sanabres and the Portuguese from Lisbon and have never booked ahead.

I walked my Primitivo in Aug/Sep 2018, had no problems with accommodations. Just that in Castro I was the last one to get a bed, a fellow pilgrim arriving later slept in a tent outside, had some problems with dogs…

As I have pointed out above I have never had any problems getting a bed on any camino. However, I should point out that I always got away early in the mornings and consequently I was finishing my day by 2pm at the latest.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I just finished and largely noone had any real issues getting beds anywhere other than Tineo and Berducedo, but even there it worked out.

Most read last week in this forum

I have been trying to find a way to avoid the circus during the last stages of Frances. In two hours you can take the Lugo - Ourense train and walk the last stages on the Plata. Is it a good idea...
https://www.alojamientoloshospitales.com/albergue I found a link to this place in an old thread, but can't find it on WisePilgrim, the Gronze map or if I search by address. Can someone tell me...
Hi all Heading out for a meal tonight and Pilgrim mass before starting the Primitivo tomorrow. Any recommendations on where to get a great meal in Oviedo?

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back