• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Accomodation along the way.

Joe n Louisa

Time of past OR future Camino
One coming up in April 2016
Hi everyone, after reading all the inputs from everyone on this blog for a while in preperation for our own Camino, one realises how close and caring this community is, anyway, we are planning the start of our Camino around early May, can someone please shed some light on the accommodation arrangments along the WAY.
Is it likely that you could arrive at a town and find nowhere to sleep for the night, or would one need to book all in advance, or what is the normal way of doing things?
Thanks in advance for any information anyone can give.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I don't think you will have a problem. Many don't book ahead and do fine. I went in April of 13 and never had a problem. This April I only have booked first night and a week in Santiago at the end. There should be choices in be tween. Even if Alberques are full, there are pensiones, hotels, etc.

Is it likely that you could arrive at a town and find nowhere to sleep for the night
It is not likely. In the last 100km it is possible in June, but I still would not say it is likely. There are a lot of beds in the last 100km!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Hi everyone, after reading all the inputs from everyone on this blog for a while in preperation for our own Camino, one realises how close and caring this community is, anyway, we are planning the start of our Camino around early May, can someone please shed some light on the accommodation arrangments along the WAY.
Is it likely that you could arrive at a town and find nowhere to sleep for the night, or would one need to book all in advance, or what is the normal way of doing things?
I walked the Camino Frances from May 13 - June 22 2015, and I was surprised to find albergues often "completo." If you are a fast solo walker, you probably would have no issues. However, if you are slower or with more than one person, consider the number of beds available where you plan to stay. If there is only one albergue or pension, the competition for beds is more than in a village with three or four options. Also be aware that many pilgrims follow the stages of guide books, which means more pilgrims stopping at the same place. Stopping at a different town or noting when there seem to be more pilgrims on the path with you could help your decision on when to stop. If you decide to reserve, you need call that day usually, and it is private albergues, not municipals, that accept reservations. Hope this helps.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
You can find a PDF file of Albergues here on the forum, or pick one up at the Pilgrim Office in StJPdP if that is your starting point. I doubt you will have a problem but good to have resource with you. Buen Camino.

My brother and I walked in April / May 2014. Over Easter it got a little competitive with rumours of full alburges so we booked ahead twice. But over the whole 30 something days we never had problem getting a bed. Be flexible, be prepared to stay in a municipal or pay more for private, plan your day so you can keep moving a little more if you have to and I don't think accomodation will be an issue. The randomness of where you sleep actually becomes part of the adventure.

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back