• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Advice on Camino routes from late Oct to Nov

Isobelle

Time of past OR future Camino
September/October
Hello, I've been on this forum awhile reading all the great posts and information. I am pretty sure I know why I want to do the Camino but I wanted to see if any seasoned travellers could advise me on the where and when.
I have time from the last week of Oct to Nov 18th so about three weeks, but I don't have to use all that time. The question is which route at that time of year?This is my first Camino and my first multi-day hike in a very long while. I have been getting my body in shape but I'm a little nervous about 30km days. I have considered: Camino France from Leon; Camino Primitivo from Oviedo or the shorter Ingles. I am thinking that the weather and the amount of Auberges open are important things to consider.
Any advice will be much appreciated.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hello, I've been on this forum awhile reading all the great posts and information. I am pretty sure I know why I want to do the Camino but I wanted to see if any seasoned travellers could advise me on the where and when.
I have time from the last week of Oct to Nov 18th so about three weeks, but I don't have to use all that time. The question is which route at that time of year?This is my first Camino and my first multi-day hike in a very long while. I have been getting my body in shape but I'm a little nervous about 30km days. I have considered: Camino France from Leon; Camino Primitivo from Oviedo or the shorter Ingles. I am thinking that the weather and the amount of Auberges open are important things to consider.
Any advice will be much appreciated.
Hey Isobelle,

A few things to keep in mind as this is your first Camino. The Primitivo may be a bit challenging on the body, but also the albergues are fewer compared to say the Frances. I would definitely recommend the Frances from Leon because it is very accessible and you have more options for places to stay, stop, and eat. There will be more community (other pilgrims) found on the Frances around that time of year as well. The Ingles is also a good option, but since you have the time you may consider using that on the Frances and take some rest days if you like. Or break up longer day into more shorter days of walking.

Hope this is helpful!

I think if you have three weeks available then the Ingles is just too short - you would be left with an awful lot of time to spare! :cool: The Primitivo is an excellent route if you enjoy hills though it has far fewer accommodation options than the Frances. By late October the busiest period for the Frances will be over but there will be company along the route if you want it. Some of the albergues will have closed but there will still be places to stay. For variety of scenery and places of interest the Frances from Leon onwards would be my personal choice - especially if you have not walked it before.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
If you have three weeks and it is a first Camino, my first recommendation would be the Portugues from Porto. It has plenty of pilgrim infrastructure allowing for flexibility on a first Camino when you aren't really sure what your body will want in terms of things like daily distances. Also, since the vast majority start there, it does give more of a feeling of walking a complete Camino than walking the Frances from Leon or similar points. It can easily be walked in two weeks giving you plenty of cushion in case of the unexpected. And if you find yourself with time at the end, you can always walk on to Finisterre/Muxia if you want to walk more or do some sightseeing if you don't.

My recommendation for a first timer is always the Francés unless you are uber fit and are used to walking alone. Add to that the time of year you plan on going the Francés would again be my recommendation. León to Santiago is a good option, maybe you will even have time to walk to Finisterre 😊

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Starting in early November there is a website with updates of what albergues are open on the Camino Frances with helpful information about whether you need to call ahead or not. It won't be active until at least Nov 1, but it can be helpful. Link below.

Hey Isobelle,

A few things to keep in mind as this is your first Camino. The Primitivo may be a bit challenging on the body, but also the albergues are fewer compared to say the Frances. I would definitely recommend the Frances from Leon because it is very accessible and you have more options for places to stay, stop, and eat. There will be more community (other pilgrims) found on the Frances around that time of year as well. The Ingles is also a good option, but since you have the time you may consider using that on the Frances and take some rest days if you like. Or break up longer day into more shorter days of walking.

Hope this is helpful!
Thank you for all your help, I think Ill stick with Leon to Santaigo. Seems like Nov is not too crazy and idea. I really appreciate the info.

Thirty k/day may not be unreasonable for you, but consider keeping some flexibility about your daily distance expectations. I don't know if you plan on any rest days or are making an allowance to take some time to explore a local place that interests you. I saw people racing through their caminos. It was a different camino than I was looking for, but maybe just the thing for them.

Buen Camino Isobelle!!

Isobelle, I also agree with sticking to your Leon-Santiago plan and think the Frances is the best option for your first camino, along with the majority of opinions above.
Last year I joined the Frances just before Leon, in the last week of October and then walked to Santiago. There was a good buzz of pilgrim activity but it never felt crowded and rarely a problem finding accommodation - just at the pinch-point of Mansilla, where the municipal albergue is still closed. And also at Foncebadon where a couple of places had closed end of October. Once in Galicia the Xunta albergues are open all year, so that eases the pressure. FWIW mornings will be seem quite dark before the clocks go back on 29 October...

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Thirty k/day may not be unreasonable for you, but consider keeping some flexibility about your daily distance expectations. I don't know if you plan on any rest days or are making an allowance to take some time to explore a local place that interests you. I saw people racing through their caminos. It was a different camino than I was looking for, but maybe just the thing for them.

Buen Camino Isobelle!!
Thank you for your helpful advise. Im not going to rush.

Thank you Tom this is also like all the replies to my question so helpful. I feel more confident. I wondered how was the weather for you last year? Did you see a lot of rain? Thanx for heads up on dark mornings.
Isobelle, I also agree with sticking to your Leon-Santiago plan and think the Frances is the best option for your first camino, along with the majority of opinions above.
Last year I joined the Frances just before Leon, in the last week of October and then walked to Santiago. There was a good buzz of pilgrim activity but it never felt crowded and rarely a problem finding accommodation - just at the pinch-point of Mansilla, where the municipal albergue is still closed. And also at Foncebadon where a couple of places had closed end of October. Once in Galicia the Xunta albergues are open all year, so that eases the pressure. FWIW mornings will be seem quite dark before the clocks go back on 29 October...

I wondered how was the weather for you last year?
Weather was fine - lots of crisp mid-Autumn mornings where a giant coffee in a warm café was most welcome. I think the rain gear went on three times in two weeks on the CF, and only one of those was for the best part of a whole day - from Astorga up to Foncebadon. The next morning was freezing cold but with blue sky all round and a brilliant sun (it felt like we'd been pardoned our sins overnight!). By the afternoon we were sitting out in t-shirts by the river at Molinaseca - but somewhat delayed by picking up so many chestnuts that we found along the path (which we later pan cooked in the big albergue in Ponferrada).
To be fair there were quite a lot of days when it was overcast and cool, but that's actually pretty nice for walking too.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Weather was fine - lots of crisp mid-Autumn mornings where a giant coffee in a warm café was most welcome. I think the rain gear went on three times in two weeks on the CF, and only one of those was for the best part of a whole day - from Astorga up to Foncebadon. The next morning was freezing cold but with blue sky all round and a brilliant sun (it felt like we'd been pardoned our sins overnight!). By the afternoon we were sitting out in t-shirts by the river at Molinaseca - but somewhat delayed by picking up so many chestnuts that we found along the path (which we later pan cooked in the big albergue in Ponferrada).
To be fair there were quite a lot of days when it was overcast and cool, but that's actually pretty nice for walking too.
Thank you so much Tom for this encouraging information. My confidence is growing :() mmm chestnuts!

Thank you for all your help, I think Ill stick with Leon to Santaigo. Seems like Nov is not too crazy and idea. I really appreciate the info.
You're welcome! If you have time be sure to visit us at Pilgrim House Welcome Center on Rua Nova, 19! We're just down the street from Casa Ivar's new place. :) (We're closed on Wednesdays & Sundays.

Buen Camino!!

Thank you Tom this is also like all the replies to my question so helpful. I feel more confident. I wondered how was the weather for you last year? Did you see a lot of rain? Thanx for heads up on dark mornings.
If you're interested in what the weather was like in previous years, you can look that up on https://caminoweather.com

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.

Most read last week in this forum

In the Guardian. Interesting "Letters to the Editor..." https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2024/apr/18/a-modern-pilgrimages-transformative-power?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Other

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back