• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Advice on transit: Lourdes to SJPP

kaitchison

Time of past OR future Camino
April 2024. Camino Frances.
Greetings! I'm going to be starting my the first installment of my camino journey this April, 2024. I'm planning to fly into Lourdes and spend 1 day there before making my way to SJPP. Would love to hear about anyone's experience doing this. Should I rent a car (which rental agency)? Easy train/bus access to Biaritzz? I'm only going to be on the Camino for 5-6 days, so I'd prefer to be as efficient as possible with my time.

Day 1: Arrive on red eye in Lourdes. Spend day site seeing, etc.
Day 2: Travel to SJPP. Begin Camino and stay in ______ ? (maybe 10 km)

or

Day 3: Begin Camino

A lot depends on that Lourdes - SJPP connection.

Appreciate any insights!!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Start again with your planning.

Day in Lourdes? So two nights accommodation in Lourdes? Transit to St Jean? Not easy but possible depending on time of year and day of the week. Or pay for a taxi. Start walking from St Jean on day 3 or 4 and you only want to walk 10km? That won’t get you to Valcarlos or Orisson/Borda but a little more effort will. The next day will get you to Roncesvalles: and then? Where’s your exit airport? How are you going to get there?

As a ps to my above: the train trip from Lourdes to Bayonne and thence St Jean is viable but will soak up a day. Five and a half hours of transit time on a good day.
You’ll likely arrive, depending on the time of year, with enough daylight to make Valcarlos or one of the Route Napoleon Albergue so Roncesvalles and beyond are within your timeframe but your exit strategy will need some careful thought. The obvious exit is Pamplona- Madrid but you’re not allowing enough time to walk to Pamplona

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Definitely rethink your plan. As it is, you’ll spend more time juggling travel plans and moving around than you would walking. Lourdes is truly moving, but not when you are just stopping by, jet lagged, and worried about car rentals and driving in a foreign country.

If you want to visit Lourdes, do that as your Camino - walk from Oloron or similar and end up in Lourdes. If you want to walk the CF, then walk that without the added stress of Lourdes, as it’s not easily reached and getting to SJPdP is even more difficult (a one way car rental with drop off in SJPdP sound pricey and difficult, if not impossible.

The train from Lourdes to SJPdP via Bayonne can take less than 3 hours, if you get the right connection and you can get a lot out of a single day in Lourdes if you plan ahead. It really just depends what you want from your experience. The train is pretty inexpensive and the station in Lourdes is an easy walk from the sanctuary. Others on here have significantly more Camino experience than I do but if you have questions about Lourdes, I've made at least one week-long pilgrimage every year since 2000 (with the exception of 2020...), so would be happy to help!

As a ps to my above: the train trip from Lourdes to Bayonne and thence St Jean is viable but will soak up a day. Five and a half hours of transit time on a good day.
You’ll likely arrive, depending on the time of year, with enough daylight to make Valcarlos or one of the Route Napoleon Albergue so Roncesvalles and beyond are within your timeframe but your exit strategy will need some careful thought. The obvious exit is Pamplona- Madrid but you’re not allowing enough time to walk to Pamplona
Yes! I'm planning to get to at least Pamplona (maybe a bit beyond), and then Pamplona->Madrid to fly home (I have a nephew studying in Madrid this semester). Appreciate the insights!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Definitely rethink your plan. As it is, you’ll spend more time juggling travel plans and moving around than you would walking. Lourdes is truly moving, but not when you are just stopping by, jet lagged, and worried about car rentals and driving in a foreign country.

If you want to visit Lourdes, do that as your Camino - walk from Oloron or similar and end up in Lourdes. If you want to walk the CF, then walk that without the added stress of Lourdes, as it’s not easily reached and getting to SJPdP is even more difficult (a one way car rental with drop off in SJPdP sound pricey and difficult, if not impossible.
Thank you! That has been my worry - that adding this will cause a bigger headache than it's worth. I considered the Aragones route - but I'm going to be by myself and speak zero French. I think I'll save that Camino for another time (although it sounds GORGEOUS!).

The train from Lourdes to SJPdP via Bayonne can take less than 3 hours, if you get the right connection and you can get a lot out of a single day in Lourdes if you plan ahead. It really just depends what you want from your experience. The train is pretty inexpensive and the station in Lourdes is an easy walk from the sanctuary. Others on here have significantly more Camino experience than I do but if you have questions about Lourdes, I've made at least one week-long pilgrimage every year since 2000 (with the exception of 2020...), so would be happy to help!
Thank you Emma! I really wanted to kick off my spiritual pilgrimage with a punch - so Lourdes seemed like it might be feasible. Maybe I'll save it for a future trip, and add some of the Aragones route to my time in France.

With your trips to Lourdes, which airport did you fly into?

This may not be too much help but for your exit strategy if you do make it to Roncevalles you can take the 9:20 AM bus to Pamplona for further connections. Alternatively from Roncevalles you could take the Alsa/Conda bus back to SJPdP (2024 schedule isn't posted yet but probably leaves around 13:00). Or taxi.

Edit: Maybe add this recent thread to your watch list. It may give you some alternative Loudes walks.

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Thank you Emma! I really wanted to kick off my spiritual pilgrimage with a punch - so Lourdes seemed like it might be feasible. Maybe I'll save it for a future trip, and add some of the Aragones route to my time in France.

With your trips to Lourdes, which airport did you fly into?
I usually fly to either Toulouse or Bordeaux and get the train or hire a car. I've flown straight into Lourdes a couple of times, too.

Toulouse or Bordeaux to Lourdes is really straightforward. Both airports have shuttle buses to the main train stations from where you can get direct trains to Lourdes. Both take somewhere in the region of 2 hours. Alternatively, you can hire a car but if it's a one-way hire, you will usually pay around 50 Euros in fees alone.

Yes! I'm planning to get to at least Pamplona (maybe a bit beyond), and then Pamplona->Madrid to fly home (I have a nephew studying in Madrid this semester). Appreciate the insights!
St Jean to Pamplona is about 65km. Most walk it in 3 or 4 days depending on their own level of fitness and, of course, weather conditions.

I'm not clear on whether you have 5-6 days for walking or 5-6 days for your entire adventure. My itinerary (if I had such a thing) would be St Jean to Valcarlos: Valcarlos to Burguette (Hemmingway fetish); Burguette to Zubiri: Zubiri to Pamplona. At least a day in Pamplona provided I'm not coinciding with San Fermin

St Jean to Pamplona is about 65km. Most walk it in 3 or 4 days depending on their own level of fitness and, of course, weather conditions.

I'm not clear on whether you have 5-6 days for walking or 5-6 days for your entire adventure. My itinerary (if I had such a thing) would be St Jean to Valcarlos: Valcarlos to Burguette (Hemmingway fetish); Burguette to Zubiri: Zubiri to Pamplona. At least a day in Pamplona provided I'm not coinciding with San Fermin
I should've been more clear in my original post. whoops! About 10-11 days total for the entire adventure.

I think I've ruled out Lourdes. Now looking at flying into Bilbao or Biarritz, and starting at SJPP. I'll have 6-7 days of walking before heading to Madrid.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Most read last week in this forum

I begin my first Camino in mid-May from SJPdP. Due to time constraints related to available PTO, I unfortunately have to skip a few towns along the way if I am to start in SJPdP and end in...
I have just popped my Targeta Dorada (Golden Ticket) in my packing box. They cost €12 and cannot be bought online, but can be renewed online. If journeying too or from the Camino on Spanish trains...
For those who might want to transport a bag, here are the envelopes of two companies. The envelopes can be found at most places to stay along the Camino. Fill out the info and slip the money in...
I am flying to Santiago via Dublin and have about a 10 hour layover. I arrive 0830 and my flight on Ryanair is not till 1930. Any suggestions on how I can spend my time? Is it practical to go...
Hi there i'm a first time Camino walker - planning for Sept this year. I have a question if anyone can help. We are going with friends but we can't fly out at the same time so we are going to fly...
Warning for those flying in to France -- there's a strike tomorrow April 25th, which likely will NOT prevent flying in or out of the country on international flights, but is very likely to affect...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back