• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Transport to SJPP

Keikochan

Time of past OR future Camino
3 past (2014, 2018, 2019) and 1 planned in August
Hello! I plan to start Frances in mid June and switch to Sanabres in early July (thanks to the many useful information provided by the members).
I found in Rome2Rio a bus from Madrid (Avenida America terminal) to SJPP, but no details such as time, hours, price, company and the means to book. Anyone knows about it? It seems better than to take a bus/train to Pamplona and change to presumably 1:00PM bus to SJPP.

BTW is starting in mid June is better than, let's say, in early July in terms of weather and crowd? I plan to stay in Spain in 7 weeks maximum. As I'm a slow walker and counting on mostly public albergue, I don't want to compete for bed with younger and faster peregrinos.

Appreciate any information very much.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Try to avoid San Fermin in early July in Pamplona if you can. Costs go up tremendously for lodging. The bus station and bar/coffee shop across the street were particularly busy during that week 2 years ago.

Thank you very much for the mention of San Fermin. I totally forgot about it, though I went to see it when I was a young backpacker(ages ago!) and had to sleep in a park with a lot of other people who couldn't get the accommodation.
So I decided to leave home on June 14 and go straight to Pamplona on 15th after arriving in Madrid in the morning. I'll go to SJPP by bus next day and start walking on 17th (with a booking at Albergue in Borda) coming back to Pamplona on 20th before Pamplona gets busy.
BTW, do you think I need booking for SJPP(arrinving before 14:00) and Roncesvalles?

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
In June in SJPDP, I think you are OK. June and July are less busy than April and May. They can help you find a bed st the pilgrim office if the municipal albergue is full. If you want to stay at Orrison or Borda you may want to try to book as they fill up quickly. It is a little bit of a bottleneck from SJPDP to Pamplona so many people book ahead. If it were me I would not worry about it, but new pilgrims often get stressed out by not having a bed. I can't tell from your post if this is your first pilgrimage so you will need to decide for yourself.

Thank you very much for your advice. I will try to get the municipal albergue. The thing is that the tourist office will be closed on the day I arrive (Sunday). I'll wait and see how the situation turns out. I did book the Aubergue Borda on 17th and may book the Albergue Roncesvalles. Ten years ago on my first Camino, I arrived Roncesvalles in late afternoon with the busfull of peregrinos from Pamplona and still got a bed in one of prefabricated huts outside the main building. I don't know they still have them now. I expect to arrive there in early afternoon from Borda. Just wander if I can still get the dinner there without booking.
Anyway, I am getting excited though it's 2 and a half months away.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Good News! Since I start from Borda that day, I'll be able to get a bed and dinner all right, if I start early enough.
Thanks

Most read last week in this forum

I begin my first Camino in mid-May from SJPdP. Due to time constraints related to available PTO, I unfortunately have to skip a few towns along the way if I am to start in SJPdP and end in...
I have just popped my Targeta Dorada (Golden Ticket) in my packing box. They cost €12 and cannot be bought online, but can be renewed online. If journeying too or from the Camino on Spanish trains...
Hi there i'm a first time Camino walker - planning for Sept this year. I have a question if anyone can help. We are going with friends but we can't fly out at the same time so we are going to fly...
Warning for those flying in to France -- there's a strike tomorrow April 25th, which likely will NOT prevent flying in or out of the country on international flights, but is very likely to affect...
I am flying to Santiago via Dublin and have about a 10 hour layover. I arrive 0830 and my flight on Ryanair is not till 1930. Any suggestions on how I can spend my time? Is it practical to go...
A friend due to walk from Sarria to SdC next month is now injured still wants to go along with group walking. Any advice on transport options for him to go from Stage to Stage. All options...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back