• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Advice… please… 🙏🏻 (About starting time each day)

On our first camino, we were determined to walk every step. When we arrived in Monjardin, everything was taken up by German tour groups. And that was 10 years ago. So, being so determined, we and a Danish walker decided to sleep on park benches. Suddenly a car pulled up and a lady waved at us to come over. She said she heard there were pilgrims needing a place to stay. She crammed the three of us into her teeny car and took us to her home. She made several trips to pick up others. Not only was this one of our best stays, but those who shared this experience with us became instant friends.

The camino provides.

We've never experienced otherwise, even on caminos where we were the only walkers and would get lost, sometimes for hours. In this regard, I must note our day walking on the poorly marked Camino Ignaziano high in the mountains. We were utterly lost and ended up walking on a road which turned out to be walking in the wrong direction. We waved down the only car we encountered and it was a young German couple who were utterly lost themselves. They were delighted to search for our trail and we eventually found it. The spot happened to be near the top of an escarpment with a sweeping view of the valley below. They were so grateful and envious that we would continue our walk along the escarpment edge, with view after view after view.

The camino provides.
Amazing… Camino will take care of everything…

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Absolutely nothing wrong with your plan.
Your plan is your plan.
Your camino is your camino.

For albergue, whether, community, municipal etc, you will need to be aware of and follow the latest departure and arrival times. These are not hotels and the volunteer staff need time (and rest) to do their job.

Many others above have made observations that you would be wise, at the very least, to consider.
Then do it your way.

On another tack:
  • how is your training progressing?
  • do you have a target distance to walk most days when on camino?
  • are you achieving that target in your training?
  • do your training walks follow the daily plan you laid out in your opening remarks?

Kia kaha, kia māia, kia mana'wa'nui (take care, be strong, patient and confident)
Thank you for good wishes and your advices.
The training is coming along good. Core strenght exercises under professional supervision. There is no exact plan for distances… 20-40 km/day … I do walk a lot im general so… that will not be a problem… we will see…

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
To your original question:

I see no problem with your plan. I usually slept until about 7 (sleep mask, ear plugs) and left the albergue shortly before 8. I would walk about an hour, then stop for breakfast, usually just a coffee and a croissant. I would go on until lunchtime, have lunch, then continue a bit more. I would walk about 6 hours each day - distances varied with weather and terrain. I would arrive at the albergue during daylight and often have time for laundry, a shower, a short nap maybe, and a visit through town, if possible.

This was from the end of May until early July on the CF.

To your original question:

I see no problem with your plan. I usually slept until about 7 (sleep mask, ear plugs) and left the albergue shortly before 8. I would walk about an hour, then stop for breakfast, usually just a coffee and a croissant. I would go on until lunchtime, have lunch, then continue a bit more. I would walk about 6 hours each day - distances varied with weather and terrain. I would arrive at the albergue during daylight and often have time for laundry, a shower, a short nap maybe, and a visit through town, if possible.

This was from the end of May until early July on the CF.
You just described the way I plan it in my head :) exactly the same :) hope I will be able to do it that way :)

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
You just described the way I plan it in my head :) exactly the same :) hope I will be able to do it that way :)
Of course you will! Just stay flexible.
I know it is a bit out of favor to say that "The Camino will provide," but, in my experience, it truly does.
Buen Camino. We are simpatico!!

Is there anything wrong with my plan and will I have problems getting a bed at 7-8 pm? Since everyone is there since 1pm… or is there another problem I am not aware of?
The heat? I walked the CF in July '19 and started between 4:30 and 5:30 to avoid the brutal heat.
Walked until 12:30 to 15:30, depending on my goal and my stamina.
After 3pm it is possible that you have to walk further on to get a bed for the night, of you didn't reserve.

The heat? I walked the CF in July '19 and started between 4:30 and 5:30 to avoid the brutal heat.
Walked until 12:30 to 15:30, depending on my goal and my stamina.
After 3pm it is possible that you have to walk further on to get a bed for the night, of you didn't reserve.
During the heat… did you have UV protective long sleeves or just a t-shirt?

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
During the heat… did you have UV protective long sleeves or just a t-shirt?
Shortsleeve, but LPF50 for the elbow and lower arms. Long (convertible) walking trousers. A sunburn on the knee bend is annoying und very unpleasant.
You can walk in shorts, but you have to reapply the protection every hour while your sweat washed away the protective layer.

Shortsleeve, but LPF50 for the elbow and lower arms. Long (convertible) walking trousers. A sunburn on the knee bend is annoying und very unpleasant.
You can walk in shorts, but you have to reapply the protection every hour while your sweat washed away the protective layer.
Oh great advice thank you…shirt was merino wool or polyester?

Oh great advice thank you…shirt was merino wool or polyester?
Cheap Blend, Merino : Polyester 65:35.
After the CF I upgraded to 85:15, the 15% Polyester make the shirts way more durable without destroying the advantages by the Merino.

On the CP last year I met a german hiker that used compression-sleeves (like many tennis-players) for protection instead of liquid sunscreen. Clever solution.

Last edited:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Cheap Blend, Merino:polyester 65:35.
After the CF I upgraded to 85:15, the 15% Polyester make the shirts way more durable without destroying the advantages by the Merino.

On the CP last year I met a german hiker that used compression-sleeves (like many tennis-players) for protection instead of liquid sunscreen. Clever solution.
I bought some long sleeve polyester, and short sleeve 50:50 and 80:20. What about socks? Any advice?

I bought some long sleeve polyester, and short sleeve 50:50 and 80:20. What about socks? Any advice?
Wrightsocks! Worn them on my CF, on the travers of the Alps, several hikes in Germany and last year on the CP. Never failed. Expensive, but really durable.

Single layer? I read about ppl wearing 2 pairs. What is that about? Don’t I just put vaseline on my feet and single layer socks?

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Single layer? I read about ppl wearing 2 pairs. What is that about? Don’t I just put vaseline on my feet and single layer socks?
Nope, they are double-layered to prevent blisters. Works well for me. Add half size to your feet size.

Most read last week in this forum

Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...
Hi! I just want to know if anyone had any success (or trouble conversely on that matter) using your Visa Debit Card with 6-digit PIN when withdrawing Euros in ATMs in France and Spain? Just want...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back