• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Carry your backpack please.

Status
Not open for further replies.
On my last few Caminos I notice the massive movement away from carrying your backpack, part or all the way.

Little tiny totebags are the new norm as your burden is shifted from stage to stage.

The pilgrims of the past carried their belongings on there backs as part of the idea of pilgrimage this is not the case of current pilgrims or hikers its all about ease of travel no suffering please its Camino

"True, I am in love with suffering, but I do not know if I deserve the honor"😉😉
Here endeth my lesson for today..
I think the beauty of the Camino is that it’s an individual journey, and I feel no one should be worried about what others are doing or not doing. Personally, I’m staying in hotels (and nice ones at that) on my Camino. I’m sure many are clutching their pearls at the thought lol. I’ll also be using a transport service, because I want more outfits, more shoes, and something nice to wear at mass. That’s me. I’ll spend zero time worrying about what anyone is thinking of the way that I choose to venture on my personal journey. I also a wholeheartedly support those that choose to do it differently.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Here we go again. Your Camino is not my Camino. Your burden is not mine. What about the mother who carries little more than grief after the death of her son? She carries a weight far heavier than anything you can fit into your pack. The Camino is for all, rich or poor, able or disabled, packing or not. It’s not a contest. It’s a journey, as highly individual as everyone who walks.

We are not talking about the disabled or ill, but about the normalization of bag transfer. The first thing people want to know when they decide to bucket list the camino is "how do I organize sending my suitcase along." It shouldn't be the default.
The "normalization of bag transfer". Yes, that's at the heart of why I was feeling a certain view on it. Thank you. It was very jarring to see so many backpacks, suitcases (hard shell, at that), duffel bags, etc at the entrance of albergues upon arrival and when leaving in the morning. There's something in the keeping my footprint small while on the Camino (just me and my pack) that drew me to the Camino. That felt right and more grounded for me, especially given the origins of the Camino. So, I had to think mindfully about what I *needed* to bring because my pack was going to be part of me for 30+ days. Seeing mountains of unaccompanied bags and suitcases just felt like an excessive taking of space. Big footprints lol. Then, when you compound that by all the people sending bags ahead, i don't know. It was jarring. I - personally - would not have been drawn to the Camino where bag transfer is so normalized.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Seeing mountains of unaccompanied bags and suitcases just felt like an excessive taking of space. Big footprints lol. Then, when you compound that by all the people sending bags ahead, i don't know. It was jarring. I - personally - would not have been drawn to the Camino where bag transfer is so normalized.

yes, I was thinking the same thing. The excess of "stuff", extra cars on the road....etc.

On my first Camino (which wasn't that long ago in 2016) I didn't really know anything about bag transfer, despite being a member of this forum and reading here obsessively for about six months. Maybe I skipped those posts while I focused on gear and transportation to the Camino. I also (thankfully) knew nothing about the FB groups or YouTube videos.

The first few days I was with a Camino family of about 8 people. I remember when we were at Alto de Perdón there were a couple of guys with a van from one of the albergues in Puente la Reina trying to drum up business. We all decided that we would stay there. They offered to take our backpacks for us, and we all refused. After only four days of walking, that backpack was already a part of me, and I couldn't imagine sending it off in a van.

My husband and I are in our later sixties, and we hike our Camino with our packs on our backs. We carry as little as possible. It is a lesson in simplicity and it reminds us of how little we really need. It surprised us how many people send their packs ahead. No judgment there. We feel it’s part of our Camino to carry only what we really need.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I - personally - would not have been drawn to the Camino where bag transfer is so normalized.

And for me, it was the opposite. 30+ years ago I did some multi day hikes carrying my own gear, but none at all since then. I was out-of-shape and training for the Camino was motivation to change that. But if I didn’t know in advance that I could/would send a duffel ahead, I might not have walked at all.

This last Camino I did I had to rely only on my small pack three days in a row, due to the holiday and lack of transport services. I survived, of course, but was happy when my duffel and I were reunited and I had a fresh change of clothes, an additional pair of shoes to give my feet a change, etc. Then again, I had also already arranged where I would sleep those interim nights - if I had wanted to walk further or less, I’m sure I would have been glad to have my necessities with me.

I am thinking for my next Camino I may try to arrange something similar, if I can find places that will hold my bag for 2-3 days, allowing me the flexibility of adjusting the length of my days, but also giving me way-points to swap out clothing, make adjustments to what I carry, etc.

Reactions: Jim
Here we go again. Your Camino is not my Camino. Your burden is not mine. What about the mother who carries little more than grief after the death of her son? She carries a weight far heavier than anything you can fit into your pack. The Camino is for all, rich or poor, able or disabled, packing or not. It’s not a contest. It’s a journey, as highly individual as everyone who walks.

I mean, I get what you're saying, but now you're quantifying grief, and like you said, it's not a contest. My first camino in 2016 and my most recent camino in 2023 I was grieving heavily, and I carried my pack. Because grief and carrying my backpack didn't have anything do with each other. Does that mean someone who's grieving should carry their pack? Not for me to say, but again, I've already stated my opinion on the matter a few comments back.

I think that we’ve gotten to the point of very diminishing returns. Posts that accused others of being less than “authentic” for transporting their bags have been deleted. But now we’re in the realm of challenging those who have explained their own personal preferences about carrying their own bags as being judgmental, critical, engaged in a diatribe, etc.

I‘m going to close the thread, because I think the opinions have been well defined. And because the posts are getting snarky and accusatory, and the tone has switched from “throwing out my opinion” to “needing to aggressively defend my opinion.”

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Status
Not open for further replies.

Most read last week in this forum

Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...
Past,present and future Thanks for sharing your adventures! This forum will be a touchstone someday in the future ..where you had gone and how far, from where and when A Canterbery tales sort of...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.